Page 6 of 12 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#7085505 - 05/23/13 02:02 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: titty sprinkles]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
itll be yellow by july dont worry

#7085513 - 05/23/13 02:04 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Euphoricuck]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric
itll be yellow by july dont worry

Really? You hadn't mentioned that before.

Originally Posted By: Euphoric
might as well give up now. itll all be yellow by late july. never ending battle

#7085654 - 05/23/13 03:01 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
non-home owners should really not chime in here either.

#7085668 - 05/23/13 03:08 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: c2k]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

the bank owns yours.

#7085733 - 05/23/13 03:52 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Euphoricuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

LOL.

right. this applies to everybody else too and what happens if you move out of your townhouse you are renting? are you gonna get $$ out of it?

#7085936 - 05/23/13 05:23 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: c2k]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario

#7085943 - 05/23/13 05:26 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

So here are some progress pics...the grass around the tree is coming up but wow is the progress freaking slow. It probably won't happen this year, at least I am not counting on it, I have a few other shitty patches and areas that need work. I hope all the shit I've been doing this year kinda preps it for next year. After 4 weeks I finally cut it (most of the lawn, not around the tree, I let those guys grow):

The rocks and mulch settled in nicely, already look aged. I am very proud of that mod, for $25 for the rocks plus $30 in mulch it really changed the appearance of the front yard. Well worth it imo.

Front door view, I need a trimmer badly, can't get the edges \:\( I went to HD and the cheapest well reviewed trimmer is the $200 Toro, nothing else is worth buying. I really don't want to go corded electric because while my property isn't big I got a lot of grass to cover in different areas.

#7086043 - 05/23/13 06:01 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
How about doing it manually?? \:D

#7086056 - 05/23/13 06:07 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: civic13]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
Looking good Risky! $25 for all that rock is pretty awesome!

as for the trimmer, i'd prefer electric just because it should be quieter and less stinky. :P

#7086102 - 05/23/13 06:18 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: 4Three]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I got a stihl on kijiji for $20 but needs a tune up
#7086116 - 05/23/13 06:22 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: loudsubz]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

looks good rusky

post more pics of your curb appeal.

#7086122 - 05/23/13 06:25 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: c2k]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

No point right now, house is very original looking as I've focused all my efforts on the inside. Once that's done I have big plans for the outside involving backhoes and bobcats, I will do it then \:\)
#7086129 - 05/23/13 06:26 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

There are plenty of those, but kind of a risky buy. Want something that works.

#7086160 - 05/23/13 06:38 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Risky & Son

tune up kits are penuts and most 2 stroke engines are dead simple to work on. I bought a homelite blower for $5 and just adjusted the carb and ran mint

#7086184 - 05/23/13 06:45 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: loudsubz]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

tune up kits are penuts and most 2 stroke engines are dead simple to work on. I bought a homelite blower for $5 and just adjusted the carb and ran mint

orly?

good to know, since I need a new blower, mine is broken.

#7086267 - 05/23/13 07:27 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: c2k]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

risky i forgot to reply to your edger post.

back in the day i had a gas powered one. that thing was awesome, so much power, but it was a pain to keep running out for gas for the mower and mixing the fuel/oil for the edger. had to service it with new air filter etc every spring or it wouldn't start. the pull cord broke and that was it.

got a electric corded one, didn't like it, so bulky, and my mom's old house i needed to connect like 3 1000ft cords to reach the end of the driveway. pain in the ass.

just got this toro battery powered one, and as much as i want to hate it, it's actually pretty good, small, light and the battery lasted all winter..lol aslong as you charge it, it had no problem getting through the first thick cut of the season.

#7086283 - 05/23/13 07:41 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: titty sprinkles]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
I have the Toro, it works well. I am impressed, I saw your yard in the winter, that is a HUGE transformation
#7086393 - 05/23/13 08:35 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I've come to the conclusion that I fucked up.

Old houses in mature neighbourhoods are for fucking ballers, straight the fuck up. You are way better off buying a subdivision build and being happy than this because man will it drain your pocket...I am talking thousands a fucking month on random shit.

Wouldn't change it for the world, just ranting.

#7086397 - 05/23/13 08:37 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Welcome to house ownership. If you keep at it, that lawn will look great in 2-3 years. Don't expect instant results.

#7086401 - 05/23/13 08:38 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: LNXGUY]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yea I've given up on this looking "right" this year, not going to happen.
#7086406 - 05/23/13 08:39 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

You got it, over seed in the fall and next spring will be a lot better.

#7086412 - 05/23/13 08:40 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Where do you buy your tune up kits and how much are they, what's involved?

#7086449 - 05/23/13 08:50 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Mostly just new gaskets, these things rarely blow top ends.. What happens 99% of the time is that the previous owner won't drain the carb or run the things dry in the fall and put it away with fuel in it. It gets all gummed up and only will work if the primer ball is constantly pushed, etc. Or they never change the fucking air filters (small displacement 2 strokes are real finicky when it comes to clean air filters).. then it just won't start. They have zero clue and just drop another $100 for a new one at Home Depot, lol. They aren't complicated at all.

A buddy of mine makes a mint in the winter 'refurbing' snowblowers he picks up on Kijiji that aren't running..

#7086468 - 05/23/13 08:58 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Where do you buy your tune up kits and how much are they, what's involved?

Ebay mostly, they consist of new fuel lines and gaskets in the carb mostly. Thats what fucks up the most, gummed up parts in the carb like jets, leaky gaskets which cause improper fuel mixtures etc

#7086472 - 05/23/13 09:00 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: LNXGUY]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
Mostly just new gaskets, these things rarely blow top ends.. What happens 99% of the time is that the previous owner won't drain the carb or run the things dry in the fall and put it away with fuel in it. It gets all gummed up and only will work if the primer ball is constantly pushed, etc. Or they never change the fucking air filters (small displacement 2 strokes are real finicky when it comes to clean air filters).. then it just won't start. They have zero clue and just drop another $100 for a new one at Home Depot, lol. They aren't complicated at all.

A buddy of mine makes a mint in the winter 'refurbing' snowblowers he picks up on Kijiji that aren't running..

+ Juan

#7086490 - 05/23/13 09:12 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

So is it safe to say I should look for the best brand/type of trimmer on kijiji that's the cheapest and order a kit for it?
#7086514 - 05/23/13 09:23 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

stihl and echo seem to be top notch in terms of parts availability and performance.

Its up to you if you want to put a little work into whatever you buy you will have a trimmer that will last years. Like Linux mentioned they don't really blow up, just have issues with gummed carbs etc and people toss them for even cheaper stuff at CT/HD

#7086796 - 05/23/13 11:34 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: loudsubz]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

if you want to work on your back and shoulders. just buy a neglected mower and try to start it for a bit. do that 3x a week and youll be the rock in a month.

#7087020 - 05/24/13 07:37 AM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Euphoricuck]
oranjizz Offline
Post Master

Loc: Ontario, Canada, etc.
I have some yardworks trimmer that the previous owner left behind, it works (with a few pulls). I haven't bought a tune-up kit for it either, would CT be a good place to get it (I think yardworks is a CT brand).

Either way here is my progress pic from this morning: 50% grass 50% weeds w00t w00t

#7089411 - 05/25/13 02:40 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: titty sprinkles]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

I got this type of grass all over. From what I googled it's supposedly June grass. It seems to grow faster than "regular" grass and has a fairly thick stem/shaft/whatever you call it.

Since I have a small yard I have a reel mower and it's hard to cut these down. Does anyone else have or had this shit and how did you get rid of it? Makes my lawn seem like a hydro field

I can borrow my mom's gas mower to cut these fuckers but I want to get rid of them permanently.

#7089442 - 05/25/13 03:19 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: civic13]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Start pulling them out.

#7091476 - 05/27/13 02:54 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: LNXGUY]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

fist time cutting the front grass. here's some pics, you can see the patches that i'm dealing with, fertilized the lawn and the grass seeds are starting to grow. keeping up with watering too.

/brown ppl don't take care of their grass

Edited by titty sprinkles (05/27/13 05:30 PM)

#7092354 - 05/28/13 08:14 AM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

How long should I wait before mowing the lawn? Did the seeding/topsoil on the 19th and that June grass shit is tall.

Also what about walking on the lawn if I had to mow?

#7092359 - 05/28/13 08:16 AM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: civic13]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

lol you can walk on it...i'd cut it by the end of the week.

I think they say 4 weeks, but we had decent rain last week, some today, so you should be good.

I waited 3 weeks, but i also didn't cut the new patches that I am trying to grow, just existing grass that was fertilized.

#7092368 - 05/28/13 08:23 AM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
yup.

and leave the clippings on the lawn (spread out if possible, no huge mass clumps in one spot)

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

Page 6 of 12 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads