Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#7076844 - 05/19/13 12:48 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Wildout]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
I do have a few holes to patch. Don't even know which dog pissed on my lawn, considering I don't have a sidewalk (I would never buy a house with a sidewalk)
#7076853 - 05/19/13 01:05 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

No sidewalk here, but we have a dog & it's so frustrating trying to keep her piss spots from yellowing the grass. Gotta pretty much rinse down where she pee's right away.
#7076865 - 05/19/13 01:16 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Wildout]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Shoot the dog, problem solved.

#7076892 - 05/19/13 01:50 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Wildout]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
deleted

Edited by c2k (05/23/13 03:01 PM)

#7076968 - 05/19/13 03:19 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: c2k]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
Damn, lots of work there wildout but in the end it will be rewarding when it's thick and green \:D

Nice c2k!! Quite a transformation.

I dug up a section of my front lawn full of clover or whatever the fuck it was and then started top soiling everything in sight that was bare or lumpy. Took a couple hrs break \:D Gonna seed then fertilize and water in a bit.

#7077535 - 05/19/13 11:17 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: civic13]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
I think I'm doing it wrong. Ill post pics tmrw but I didn't mow and I seeded. Now I can't stand the already high grass, will I just suck up the seed I just laid yesterday? For the record I ariated and they seeded what I think is kinda sparce two weeks ago...

#7077744 - 05/20/13 08:17 AM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: titty sprinkles]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

What is this BS? Club help me fix my lawn?
#7077801 - 05/20/13 08:58 AM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Good job C2k, looks good.

I was thinking of putting river rock around my place but I am worried it would be an attraction for kids to come take the rocks and toss them. /kgbworstcasescenario

#7078236 - 05/20/13 12:24 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sweet, my buddy just dropped off two jugs of weed b gone from the USA \:D

I am ready y0

#7078295 - 05/20/13 12:57 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
Just let me chime in and say there's hope.
Our boulevard has been beat up since we moved in 9 years ago. Every summer, we spend more and more time out there picking the weeds while the grass got more sparse. I know the main problem is that there isn't enough water and since we're south facing, everything dries out fast. The ground was getting hard and uneven. Last spring I said screw it and used the dethatching attachment on the mower except instead of putting it at a dethatching height, I put it as low as it could go; my ghetto version of ripping out the lawn and breaking up the ground. After that, we laid about an inch or two of triple mix and seed, watered and waited. The lawn started to come back and well, we still had to pull a few weeds, but the grass was certainly a lot stronger. Next year, it will be the backyard's turn.

Grass was especially bad where people would walk on the lawn to get to the mailbox.

fucking dandelions

this is the stuff we picked out weekly ... we only had time to go after the big ones because there were just too many.

"dethatching" the lawn down to bare earth. kid was helping me sweep up.

this year, it's a lot better. one thing i learned is to not mow it too low. i know the lower it is, the more carpet like it is, but it dries out SO much quicker. now i use a medium height and the lawn retains a lot more moisture. i also put a path up for people to get to the mailbox but some douche bags still insist on walking on my lawn.

#7078316 - 05/20/13 01:08 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: 4Three]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I hope the city pays you to maintain their property

#7078334 - 05/20/13 01:24 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: LNXGUY]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

i only wish. i wouldn't mind it so much if they'd agree to let me move the mailbox to the opposite side where there are no houses. hopefully i can put in a sprinkler system this summer. that way, the lawn would almost be on autopilot save for feedings and mowings.

#7078405 - 05/20/13 01:58 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: 4Three]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Looks good man, nice job!!!

Where abouts in Markham are you? Looks like Cornell, but can't be since you've been there for a while.

Moving the mailbox would be epic, that would clean up your area nice and reduce the traffic, i'd push that hard.

#7078607 - 05/20/13 03:20 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Risky Business]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Thanks! I'm close by the Sobey's on Buroak. Been here so long pretty much watched all this stuff (housing) spring up around me, including that Sobey's plaza.

I thought about pulling some ninja shit and just moving the mailbox overnight, but I think people might notice. Phoned and emailed a bunch of people at the city and just kept getting stone-walled. Now we've just learned to live with it.

#7078663 - 05/20/13 03:58 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: 4Three]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
Wow, looking good and there is hope!!! Lol \:D

I get so discouraged sometimes looking at my lawn and thinking wtf am I gonna do \:\(

#7078710 - 05/20/13 04:27 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: civic13]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Petition the city to move the damned mailbox. Its one of the reasons I won't buy a house with sidewalk. Let some other person who doesn't care about their property deal with the BS
#7078756 - 05/20/13 04:53 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
Petition the city to move the damned mailbox. Its one of the reasons I won't buy a house with sidewalk. Let some other person who doesn't care about their property deal with the BS

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#7080646 - 05/21/13 02:39 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

lol risky i got the same stuff...i didn't think about risky-ripping-it-open-discount tho

"how much now it's ripped?" /russell peters

i dropped coin at crappy tire this weekend. about $2g's.

got a gary coleman bbq, martha stewart patio table, bench, 8 chairs, and a L section sofa thing. next project after the lawn is re-finishing that swing set. /domesticated

Edited by Flexin5 (05/21/13 02:40 PM)

#7080677 - 05/21/13 02:50 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: titty sprinkles]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
still waiting for my taxi.

#7080679 - 05/21/13 02:51 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Euphoricuck]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

need to go to the closest starbucks? LOL

#7080947 - 05/21/13 05:24 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: 4Three]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
 Originally Posted By: 4Three
Just let me chime in and say there's hope.
Our boulevard has been beat up since we moved in 9 years ago. Every summer, we spend more and more time out there picking the weeds while the grass got more sparse. I know the main problem is that there isn't enough water and since we're south facing, everything dries out fast. The ground was getting hard and uneven. Last spring I said screw it and used the dethatching attachment on the mower except instead of putting it at a dethatching height, I put it as low as it could go; my ghetto version of ripping out the lawn and breaking up the ground. After that, we laid about an inch or two of triple mix and seed, watered and waited. The lawn started to come back and well, we still had to pull a few weeds, but the grass was certainly a lot stronger. Next year, it will be the backyard's turn.

Grass was especially bad where people would walk on the lawn to get to the mailbox.

fucking dandelions

this is the stuff we picked out weekly ... we only had time to go after the big ones because there were just too many.

"dethatching" the lawn down to bare earth. kid was helping me sweep up.

this year, it's a lot better. one thing i learned is to not mow it too low. i know the lower it is, the more carpet like it is, but it dries out SO much quicker. now i use a medium height and the lawn retains a lot more moisture. i also put a path up for people to get to the mailbox but some douche bags still insist on walking on my lawn.

\:o
that's awesome!!!!!

how long did it take ya to dig up all that weeds?!

#7081069 - 05/21/13 06:52 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: c2k]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

well, don't let that last photo fool you. there are still weeds. But it's a LOT better. Basically, when I "dethatched" i probably went down a 1/4" below the surface of the ground at the time. it ripped out all the grass. all the small baby weeds were probably destroyed. any larger roots we saw we dug them out then. after laying the new soil and seed we were out there every weekend keeping up with them but since it was growing in relatively loose soil at that point, it was easy pickin's. probably an hour every weekend. we have two kids, so while they played my wife and I were weed pickin'.

i would've tilled the whole area instead, but i didn't have a tiller, and i was a little worried about tilling near the trees. some of the roots were close to the surface.

another weeding tip, weed after a good storm. the weeds are perked up so you can see them and the ground is soft so digging out their roots is a piece of cake. some of them looked like friggin carrots.

canuck, i'm not sure i could convince enough people to sign a petition. the place i would propose the mailbox be moved would be another 20 yards away, and people are probably too lazy to walk. when we purchased the place, we asked and the salesman assured us the mailbox wouldn't be there. guess i should've had it in writing! live and learn.

#7081123 - 05/21/13 07:28 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: 4Three]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
i was at woodhill (bayview / steeles nursery) this past Sat for 20mins, i see the prices are still the "usual" lol...but hey, pay to play right. they had a buttload of jap maples (varying sizes/prices) but we're looking more for a 'flowering' type of tree.

i quickly checked for soils/etc. but nothing really that stood out. amazing flower selection tho.

i just cheated and did some grass overseeding now after the storm.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#7081148 - 05/21/13 07:36 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Get a flowering crabtree.

#7081375 - 05/21/13 09:49 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: LNXGUY]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Loc: Milton, ON
Just spent most of the weekend pulling weeds out of my front lawn. Dropped a bunch of soil down and seeded. It looks way better now but if this doesn't work I'm tearing it all out and re-sodding. I inherited a shit lawn and it's been a struggle to get it going. Backyard is looking really good now, but the front is a disaster. Got to keep up on the watering which has been a big part of the problem. I'm determined to get this shit up to speed.
#7082952 - 05/22/13 02:35 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: TYJelly]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

^you and me both.

4 three, i think i'm going to dethach the lawn next year and re-soil and seed like you did. the weeds on my front lawn are out of controll.

#7082982 - 05/22/13 02:48 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: titty sprinkles]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
might as well give up now. itll all be yellow by late july. never ending battle

#7083107 - 05/22/13 03:30 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: titty sprinkles]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Anyone having issues with grubs? My co-worker has been fighting them for two years now and shit went over the top this weekend. I found a few in my lawn when I was working on it this weekend too, but not enough to be concerned about (yet).
#7083155 - 05/22/13 03:51 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Looks good, Shane! Is the dethatching attachment just a blade that you put on the mower? I've been doing it manually with one of those metal rakes (not the leaf ones), but it would be so much easier with a mower. If so, where did you get it?

#7083157 - 05/22/13 03:53 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: SW20_MR2]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
You guys are fucked spending this much time on grass. You'd think the town would give out prizes for the best lawn LOL

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#7083162 - 05/22/13 03:55 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Hatorade]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
You guys are fucked spending this much time on grass. You'd think the town would give out prizes for the best lawn LOL

#7083184 - 05/22/13 04:08 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

In other news, woohoo it's raining again! My seeds are going to grow in to the most awesomest lawn in the whole wide worlds.
#7083190 - 05/22/13 04:13 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
NO pics no care.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#7083230 - 05/22/13 04:32 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: Hatorade]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hatorade

csi ont:

#7083301 - 05/22/13 05:04 PM Re: help with my lawn....ver. can't grow grass/weeds [Re: titty sprinkles]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

He doesn't have grass so he doesn't understand this concept /Wayne
Page 4 of 12 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads