Page 73 of 148 « First<7172737475>Last »
Topic Options
#7415342 - 11/27/13 11:12 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Well, we're here settled into our house in Bolinas...drove over the hills well run on Saturday, and yep....lots of climbing!

#7415386 - 11/28/13 12:14 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Well, we're here settled into our house in Bolinas...drove over the hills well run on Saturday, and yep....lots of climbing!

Wait till you see all the stairs.
How far are you from mill valley?

Paki: 3:36

#7415394 - 11/28/13 12:34 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Like 30 minutes. About 5 from the turnaround in Stinson.

#7415570 - 11/28/13 09:37 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
Remember guys: Thanksgiving is just a jump start on carbo loading - attack those rolls with relish

#7415686 - 11/28/13 11:25 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Corytrade Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: NorCal
 Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer

but then I realize that despite being stronger, fitter and with more training volume behind me (at altitude no less). I was almost 30 minutes slower on an easier course this weekend.

In fact, that first race (TNF 50 in DC) was muddy, sloppy, etc and that time (9:11) is still my second fastest time for the distance. The one time everything clicked I shaved over 80 minutes off that - but my other 50 milers have all had something go wrong (some excuse, really!) and have been 9:24, 9:40 and 11:26. It's really getting to be frustrating \:\(

Do you think that first time was partly from an adrenaline rush? Sounds kinda dumb, but kinda like an ultimate runner's high. That new experience really pushing you. All your times are still really good (except maybe that 11:26 lol, but then again it's not like I am running that shit), so you still have to put it into perspective. But I understand your disappointment. You would think with constant practice, performance would improve. Long term fatigue could be a real possibility.

#7416688 - 11/29/13 10:51 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Corytrade]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Corytrade
 Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer

but then I realize that despite being stronger, fitter and with more training volume behind me (at altitude no less). I was almost 30 minutes slower on an easier course this weekend.

In fact, that first race (TNF 50 in DC) was muddy, sloppy, etc and that time (9:11) is still my second fastest time for the distance. The one time everything clicked I shaved over 80 minutes off that - but my other 50 milers have all had something go wrong (some excuse, really!) and have been 9:24, 9:40 and 11:26. It's really getting to be frustrating \:\(

Do you think that first time was partly from an adrenaline rush? Sounds kinda dumb, but kinda like an ultimate runner's high. That new experience really pushing you. All your times are still really good (except maybe that 11:26 lol, but then again it's not like I am running that shit), so you still have to put it into perspective. But I understand your disappointment. You would think with constant practice, performance would improve. Long term fatigue could be a real possibility.

I suppose that's possible but it really seems like something goes wrong at races and that results in slower times.

Race 1: Everything went well, ran myself to exhaustion - 9:11
Race 2: Everything went well, ran myself to exhaustion - 7:47
Race 3: Everything went well to mile 36, not enough training to keep pushing after that. Quads cramped up and walked quite a bit. My fault for not getting in more mileage - 9:24
Race 4: IT band tightened up, forced to hike 37 miles - giving myself a baker's cyst for my trouble - 11:26
Race 5: Viral infection leaves lungs/surrounding tissue inflamed. Breathing hurts and performance suffers - 9:40

It's not like I've been running hard and just getting slower, I've just had three races in a row where *something* prevents me from just running. I really do think I'm fitter/stronger than that second race now, just need to put all the pieces together and not have something stupid go wrong on race day \:\(

#7417557 - 11/30/13 02:33 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Decided to atone for Thanksgiving's atrocities. 13.1 miles in just under two hours tonight.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7417635 - 11/30/13 08:50 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good luck at Quad Dipsea today guys!

#7418100 - 11/30/13 06:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Awesomely tough day on the trails today. Brutal climbing and descending. Race report to come.

Me and Ampsman at the finish. Hd only had to wait about 30 minutes for me.

#7418152 - 11/30/13 07:28 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Incredible day! Dave Mackey killed it and broke the course record, its amazing to see the guys at that level...2nd place must have been at least 20 minutes back.

#7418373 - 11/30/13 09:51 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

That mustache

Glad to hear it went well - looking forward to the report!

#7419117 - 12/01/13 01:22 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Congrats!
89 Camaro - Sold

#7426448 - 12/05/13 10:06 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Did a fitness test at my job this morning, which included a 1.5mile run. I decided not to run the last 2 days to be rested for it. I wake up and my left calf is sore as hell, must have cramped in my sleep or something, oh well. Then when I started running my quads were sore too, but loosened up. I think that's mostly from running fast. I am generally not a fast runner, I can maintain a 9:30 pace pretty well, and my fastest mile is only under 8 mins.

I forgot to wear my Garmin watch, but I did 4 laps in 6:57 and did the full 1.5miles in 10:08. Which is great, because I needed to do it in 10:17 for an Excellent score. So that was awesome to not feel 100% and still do my fastest mile/1.5mile ever. And over 2.5 hours later my legs are still sore from it lol.

#7428125 - 12/05/13 11:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Went to an awesome event at SF running company last night. Most of team salomon is in town for the TNF50 so they had a demo/meet and greet/group run. Kilian, Cam, Emelie, Miguel, Jorge and Ryan Sandes. I was hoping to demo the sense pro but they didnt have them so I tried the Mantras which I had tried before and wasnt a huge fan of but thought I would give them another shot. It was madness in that tiny shop, a hundred plus people squeezed in to meet these guys. Kilian is one tiny little man and Emelie is pretty damn cute.
Finally headed out for the run, I dont know my way around there very well, especially at night so I followed the lead guys. We were headed out to tennessee valley and up a nice 1.5 mile hill called marincello for a total of about 7 miles. I was cruising behind these guys at a conservative 7:30 or so pace and they are chatting and I realize its Alex Varner (just won bootlegger) and Gary Gellin (former way too cool winner) and I'm like sweet lets see how long I can hang.
We hit the hill and there is one guy in front of them and they mention if anyone is going to hammer it on the hill. I am feeling pretty good and its a wide trail so I take off and pass them.
I hang in front of them for about a half mile, not really feeling like im even pushing it to hard, when they finally cruise past me. We get to the top of the hill and stop to wait for everyone else.
It was pretty sweet, pitch black at the top of this hill with an incredible view of the city.
Next thing I know, who cruises up by bryon powell.
Pretty cool to see him out there and chat for a minute.
Once everyone made it up we hammered it down the hill and cruised back to the shop for some pizza.
Pretty sweet night.

#7428189 - 12/06/13 01:21 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Jelly.

Its too bad your #1 boyfriend Sage is out this weekend with the flu. \:\(

#7428343 - 12/06/13 08:00 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Jelly.

Oh snap! Didnt know that. \:\(

#7429390 - 12/06/13 04:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
Missed a 10 min/mile by *that much*!!! Gahhh!!!

Drizzly 44 degree run tonight. Felt VERY good and it's nice to see improvement.

I'm WAY stronger on my bike trainer at the moment, so it seems to be translating to better running--which is awesome. I've been foamrolling the Christ out of my IT bands and it seems to be working (so far).

Again, not impressive by REAL runner standards, but if I can bang out a sub 30-min 5k, I'm a happy guy. \:\)

still have an EM1--go figure

#7429431 - 12/06/13 05:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman
Jelly.

Oh snap! Didnt know that. \:\(

False - you probably gave it to him ;\)

Sounds like an awesome run though!! I'm still unpacking boxes and stuff in my apartment so tomorrow I'm going to plug into the WS lottery and listen to that while occasionally checking TNF standings. SO MUCH ULTRA

#7430270 - 12/07/13 11:29 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

They just called an Eric and my heart jumped...too stressful!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/western-states-endurance-run-lottery

The Urbanski brothers are in it too, so every Jeff, Matt or Eric I hear is intense!

#7430403 - 12/07/13 01:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Sorry to our first time rejections from the lottery. \:\(

#7430437 - 12/07/13 01:15 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sorry to our first time rejections from the lottery. \:\(

I'm a 2x rejection \:\(

but that's OK, that means for 2014 I'll do San Juan Solstice instead of Western States and then if
I can manage to qualify under the new standards I'll have 3 tickets in what will probably be a much smaller lottery

When they did the raffle drawing at the end I started doing the math of how many $5 raffle tickets would I need to buy for 50% chance at entry?? It was a huge number. You could spend $5,000 on raffle tickets and still only have a ~13-15% chance.

Someday, if I end up with more money than patience, I'll spend $30,000 on raffle tickets (it's a tax write off) and get into the race like some sort of Bond villain haha

#7430601 - 12/07/13 04:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

well poo.
Oh well, thinking about getting on on the tahoe rim 100 lottery and I'm definitely doing the bishop 100k in May. To many good races out there to get bummed about western states.

#7430677 - 12/07/13 05:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Krar is a beast.
I think the highlight of the day though was dakota jones finishing the race despite having the flu in 9:40. You just dont see that type of thing from elites, seems that most of them will drop at the slightest hint of anything not quite right. I have a new found respect for Dakota.

#7430987 - 12/07/13 10:39 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Krar is a beast.
I think the highlight of the day though was dakota jones finishing the race despite having the flu in 9:40. You just dont see that type of thing from elites, seems that most of them will drop at the slightest hint of anything not quite right. I have a new found respect for Dakota.

Agreed. It shows a lot of respect for all the age groupers out there struggling just to make cut offs and finish...total class act.

#7431160 - 12/08/13 12:24 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Krar is a beast.

Agreed. It shows a lot of respect for all the age groupers out there struggling just to make cut offs and finish...total class act.

+1

I get the rationale of elites dropping to save themselves for another day - but it still irks me. Dakota has always come across as a really awesome dude. And he's funny as hell, I hope he writes a book some day

And congrats to Krar! It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. And today should cinch UROY for him I would imagine. I can't see how they could give it to anyone else now. The only argument would be Jon Olsen but I think Rob's just done too damn much this year.

#7431852 - 12/08/13 02:23 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Well shit...I went and did it. Followed along this morning as my brother Boston Qualified and it inspired me to give it another go. Surf City round two on February 2nd.

No plans this time...just keep running lots and lots.

#7431896 - 12/08/13 02:53 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good luck dude!! What do you need to run to BQ?

And on an unrelated note, I saw Ian Sharman post something about coaching and it's got me thinking about it. I'd love to hear your opinions on hiring a coach - I've always thought hiring a coach was pretty lame unless you're an elite runner. I thought midpackers hiring coaches was for rich people trying to find shortcuts to "just run".

That said, I've been employing my "eh, just go out and run" style of training for almost three years now and clearly it's not really working for me. I've had one good race performance to show me I'm not reaching my potential and every other race has been 90+ minutes slower. This year I'd really like to finish up Leadville and get that done while securing my third WS lottery ticket. I'm thinking 6 months of coaching (Feb-July) would do it and I would probably learn a lot that I could implement on my own moving forward. I didn't run track/X-country in high school, college, etc so I've never had any instruction. It's been me fumbling around, getting hurt, adapting, and moving forward for three years.

#7432051 - 12/08/13 05:15 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
lessthanmike Offline
Major Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I ran a couple of races the past 2 weeks. The first one was a Turkey Trot 5 miler through Cleveland. It's a fun race I've done the past few years, alot of people dress up in different costumes. My teammate and I thought it would be fun to wear the Pac-Man costumes I made a few years ago for Halloween. Dumb idea, I was snowy, icy, and windy. We still managed to cross the finish line in 51min. The best was hearing people yelling that they couldn't believe they were going to lose to Pac-Man We didn't win the race but we one best costume which was tickets to the Cleveland Monsters hockey game.

The other race was a 10k to support the Christmas Story House. Even more people dressed up. It was freezing cold and crowded. My coach told me not to race it, but to run it and keep my heart rate in higher zone 2 (148-158bpm). Wasn't a bad run but I really wanted to race all out. I finished up at 45:37, 17th out of 102 in my age group and 72 out of 1580 overall, not to bad for not really racing. I pretty much did it for the finishers medal.

NOHC--D, Because she knows I couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a handful of pardons.

#7432311 - 12/08/13 07:47 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: lessthanmike]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

That's an awesome medal.... And you are nuts for wearing the Pacman costume.

Eric: I have to run sub 3:10. 3:09:59 is officially qualifying but with the tiered sign up system, I need to be a few minutes under to insure a spot. This will be for the '15 race.

#7432343 - 12/08/13 08:04 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yikes - that sounds so freaking fast to me. Good luck and keep us posted dude!

This guy just ran the Seattle Marathon last weekend - placed 9th in 2:41 on a rather slow course. He's running Rocky Raccoon in February with hopes of having a breakout performance at the 100 mile distance but is looking for a flatter, faster marathon to run in the interim.

And his little brother, Jeff, ran TNF in San Francisco yesterday with a bloody chest cold and almost zero training since his Ironman in September. Finished in 11:40 and said it was awful

#7432671 - 12/09/13 02:49 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Well shit...I went and did it. Followed along this morning as my brother Boston Qualified and it inspired me to give it another go. Surf City round two on February 2nd.

No plans this time...just keep running lots and lots.

See you there. Looking to finish up my Beach Cities Challenge with HB.

Originally Posted By: lessthanmike
I ran a couple of races the past 2 weeks. The first one was a Turkey Trot 5 miler through Cleveland. It's a fun race I've done the past few years, alot of people dress up in different costumes. My teammate and I thought it would be fun to wear the Pac-Man costumes I made a few years ago for Halloween. Dumb idea, I was snowy, icy, and windy. We still managed to cross the finish line in 51min. The best was hearing people yelling that they couldn't believe they were going to lose to Pac-Man We didn't win the race but we one best costume which was tickets to the Cleveland Monsters hockey game.

The other race was a 10k to support the Christmas Story House. Even more people dressed up. It was freezing cold and crowded. My coach told me not to race it, but to run it and keep my heart rate in higher zone 2 (148-158bpm). Wasn't a bad run but I really wanted to race all out. I finished up at 45:37, 17th out of 102 in my age group and 72 out of 1580 overall, not to bad for not really racing. I pretty much did it for the finishers medal.

Great time!! Lol @ the costume.

Edited by Design (12/09/13 02:54 AM)
89 Camaro - Sold

#7433678 - 12/09/13 04:20 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Small victories--Sub 10 minute mile:

#7433718 - 12/09/13 04:43 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job man.

Started the bay off badly when I was thwarted from my 10 mile trail run by gridlock on the 405. Decided instead to head down the beach path . The wind was howling and blowing sand in my shoes and face on the outbound 5 miles, and struggled to stay in the 7:40 range. Made the turn and decided to push it to see if I still had any speed in my legs. Stayed down around 7:00 flat and had two miles in the high 6's and negative split it by 4 minutes.

Felt really good since that is a section of the marathon in February, and I haven't been feeling all that fast in the last few months of trail running/racing.

#7433742 - 12/09/13 04:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

So nobody here has an opinion about working with a coach? Good or bad?

Either way, I mailed a check off today - prepaid 6 months of coaching beginning in January (giving myself a few final weeks to be swamped with work, not run and get fat). This was the money I was going to use to buy a gun, so it looks like I'll be gun-less for another few months at least (oh well, I've made it 28 years, right?). Getting excited for a strong 2014 season

#7433759 - 12/09/13 05:07 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks. \:\)

struggled to stay in the 7:40 range. Made the turn and decided to push it to see if I still had any speed in my legs. Stayed down around 7:00 flat and had two miles in the high 6's

That's my sprint

Page 73 of 148 « First<7172737475>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads