Topic Options
#7097543 - 05/30/13 01:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
58 minutes
The hill at midpoint sucked up and down. Sloppy mud on top of clay.
Expecting quads to hurt.

Drinking beer and endorphin buzzin. I should run more races!

Awesome time man! It was a night race?

Paki: 3:36

#7098524 - 05/30/13 09:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Not night, Ha. would have been much slower.

I'm happy to break 8 pace offroad. Especially with 5k hill followed by 1k murderous muddy hill and back. I suck at hills but got through it
Quads, calves, abs are all feeling that downhill.

Plus I feel like I didn't leave much left, so good race.

#7100483 - 05/31/13 08:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Loc: Gehenna
Got to San Diego today for the marathon on Sunday! Pretty excited about it. My longest training run was 20 miles, and it hurt more than anything else ever. But I did it on a "rail trail" that was a different surface than I'm used to, not too worried. I'm in the 4:45 corral, I just want to finish my first one and be proud of it, no Boston attempts for me, haha. I'll make a post Sunday saying how I did. Plus, San Diego is awesome so far!
#7100794 - 06/01/13 01:11 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Holy shit, has it really been a year since I did that race?

Go get it man! Be thankful you dont have to do that stint on Fiesta Island! \:D

Seriously though, have a great race!

#7102589 - 06/02/13 01:34 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Got in 70 miles with 6800 feet of elevation this week, feel good for another 50k next weekend!

#7102648 - 06/02/13 02:48 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Ended up doing the San Diego Rock'n'Roll Marathon in 4:49:34. I was in the 4:45 corral, not a bad guess then huh? It was my first marathon so it was interesting, though brutal on the body. It was my first marathon and I don't know if I'll do another one or not, I seem to really like the half-marathon distance.

Good God ampsman you run too much. :P Good job though and make another epic post about the 50k next weekend! I love reading those posts as I'm sure others do to.

#7102656 - 06/02/13 02:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lividentity
Ended up doing the San Diego Rock'n'Roll Marathon in 4:49:34. I was in the 4:45 corral, not a bad guess then huh? It was my first marathon so it was interesting, though brutal on the body. It was my first marathon and I don't know if I'll do another one or not, I seem to really like the half-marathon distance.

Good God ampsman you run too much. :P Good job though and make another epic post about the 50k next weekend! I love reading those posts as I'm sure others do to.

Thats awesome man! Congrats! Once you rest a couple days you'll forget how much it hurt and be ready for another one. \:D

#7102658 - 06/02/13 03:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Congrats man! Ampsman is right...once the pain wears off a little you'll start thinking how much faster you can do it next time. Guarantee it. \:D

#7102797 - 06/02/13 05:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Lol maybe. When I did my first half-marathon I couldn't imagine doing double that distance! Of course now I have go me. I only started running the beginning of last year, did my first half-marathon in October 2012, so I know it takes a long time to really get fast and all that. I still like the half-marathon distance though, go out and run for about 2 hours and go home, very reasonable! For me I feel good up until the half-marathon, after 15-17 miles my legs really start to hurt. Of course probably because I don't eat enough beforehand.
#7104119 - 06/03/13 01:43 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Congrats on running your first full! I am dreading my first (planning for LA next March).

Ran at the Costa Mesa Community Run yesterday. Last year I ran the 5K course in 26:40. This year I ran the 10K in 49:26. Pretty excited to see my times drop. But waaay more hills than I remember. Next one is HB 5K in July.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7104545 - 06/03/13 05:28 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Man you got a ton of time to train, and you're already doing great! My best race 5k was 27:XX and 52:XX I believe for 10k. You're already doing better than me and you got 9 months to train yet! You're gonna smash that marathon in its face!
#7106844 - 06/04/13 04:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
Lewis Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: IA
I'm signed up for a 10k this weekendd, but I pulled/tore a muscle in my calf a week and a half ago and it's still hurting. TOTAL FAIL.

#7113906 - 06/07/13 05:27 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lewis]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I'm such a shoe whore.

#7114315 - 06/07/13 09:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Oooh, I've heard good things about those.

#7114334 - 06/07/13 09:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

^^Good pickup.

Since Chris will be forcing me to eat crap tomorrow I managed to squeeze in an 11 mile run tonight. \:\)
89 Camaro - Sold

#7114956 - 06/08/13 01:21 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
I've been going through the past 1-1.5 years of posts, very good info.

I just started running for the first time a couple months back. Nothing serious (maybe 2 miles per session, 2-3 times per week). The first 2-3 weeks were more like 20% running 80% walking, but I'm definitely seeing improvement.

Last week my brother asked if I wanted to run a half-marathon with him in late September so I said "sure"!
Started the Hal Higdon plan and just finished the first 4-miler this morning:
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

So far so good, expected aches & pains I suppose, but I'm having a blast. I was planning on just repeating week 7 or so until the remaining weeks line up with the upcoming half. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

#7116626 - 06/09/13 09:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Race report coming later.
Finished in 4:31 and busted up my knee cap after face planting at mile 22.

#7116643 - 06/09/13 10:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice finish! Sucks about the crash...but you know chicks dig scars. \:D

#7116740 - 06/09/13 10:47 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Nice finish! Sucks about the crash...but you know chicks dig scars. \:D

Hopefully its just superficial...it hurts like a mutha and is really swollen right now.

#7116886 - 06/10/13 12:49 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I bet you were running on adrenaline the last 8, eh? I bet its gonna feel real good when you wake up in the morning. \:D

Did you score some hardware with that time?

#7117517 - 06/10/13 11:53 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

What a day.
So this race was kind of a last minute sign up, I had been feeling good and had put in 70 miles the week before so I thought I might as well get out there and see what I could do.
I was supposed to run this same course last year but the race got cancelled the a couple of days before because the company that ran it went out of business.
The course follows the skyline to the sea trail thru the santa cruz mountains.
You start on skyline boulevard on the inland side of the mountains and run to the ocean.
Theres about 3800 feet of elevation gain but a quad busting 5k+ of loss.
The wife dropped me off about 8:15 for the late 9am start that they scheduled.
Picked up my bib and dropped my final deuce before the race, felt pretty good.
The problem with a downhill, shady single track start is you tend to go out a bit to fast, especially when you start towards the front.
After knocking out 2 pretty quick miles I settled down and found a good pace.
It was a gorgeous morning, low 60's sunny and beautiful single track and the miles were ticking by pretty quick.
At about mile 4 I noticed that someone was pretty close behind me so I shouted out to let them know that they can cruise by if they need to. It was a woman and she said nope this pace is awesome, we started chatting a bit, I do most of my training alone so you forget how much easier a run can be when you are having conversation with someone. Right before the first aid at about 6 out of the blue I feel 2 stings on my leg, one by my knee and one right above my sock, I figure it must have been bees or yellow jackets, but the little sting or bites stuck with me for most of the race. I kept cruising with the lady till about mile 7 or so when we hit some good hills and I pulled ahead a bit, when we got to the top I looked back and she was right behind me again. We hit the next aid at about 11 and started a pretty technical downhill section, at one point I rolled my ankle a bit and stopped for a second and she pulled ahead of me. I knew I just need to run it off so I kept moving and about a quarter mile later I was good to go and had caught up to her.
There was a marathon as well as a 50k, so at the 15 mile aid station the marathoners kept going straight and the 50k did a 5 mile loop. I took an extra couple seconds at this aid station to pound a gu and some gummy bears so she took off a bit ahead of me for one of the biggest climbs of the race. I caught up to her and she looked super strong so I just cruised behind her, we made a big dent on the lead of a couple guys in front of us on the that loop.
We hit the same aid station from mile 15 after the loop, we were at about 20 miles at that point and had 8 miles till the next aid station. We had another climb right away and I could tell that she was hurting and she told me that she was feeling like she was going to start cramping and I should go ahead, I cruised past her but she tucked right in and hung with me. After about a mile we hit another awesome downhill technical section of singe track and she went ahead of me at some point right after we started that.
I was actually feeling really good at this point and knew I could push a little harder was just really enjoying myself when BOOOM!
Its pretty amazing how fast you can hit the ground, its not like I tripped and stumbled and fell, I was up one second and the next sliding face first over rocks and tree roots.
I was about 10 feet behind the lady in front of me and she immediately stops and was asking if I'm ok.
At that point I really had no idea so I got up and did a quick inventory.
Right Knee hurt really bad and blood was already half way down to my sock, my right forearm felt beat up but not bleeding.
No broken bones that I could see.
I told her to keep going and that I would catch up with her, she seemed hesitant but I insisted.
I knew I was about 6 miles still from the next aid station, so I had no choice but to keep moving. Started walking first and it hurt pretty bad, well if walking hurts how much worse could running hurt? I started a slow jog and it didnt feel much worse, ok what if I pick it up a bit...about the same and starting to feel better. After about a half mile I wasnt feeling to much pain other than some stiffness, at this point blood is soaking the top of my sock so I just tried not to look at it.
I ended up catching up this guy that I had passed earlier and then had passed me later and he was hobbling along, turns out he rolled his ankle pretty bad not much earlier.
He was running his first 50k and was determined to finish so I told him that I wold cruise with him for a bit but he got to the point where he was having to walk alot so he told me to go ahead and he promised he would catch up.
I started cruising feeling pretty good and caught up with the lady I had been running with, I could tell she was hurting bad but still moving at a decent pace so I settled in with her.
Next thing I know the guy with the bad ankle comes cruising up behind us, he was shouting expletives and looked like he was about to die.
We had about 5 miles left at this point and I was thinking about pushing ahead but realized I really want to cross the finish line with these guys.
We hit the last aid station after what felt like an eternity, it was only about 2 miles from the finish and I was thinking about cruising thru but I had been out of water for about 3 miles and was feeling pretty dehydrated. I got half a bottle and we started out for the home stretch.
Gimpy ankle guy really started pushing for the finish so he took the lead with the lady right behind him and me behind her.
We crossed the finish in that same order and I didnt realize how toasted I was until I finished and almost had to drop to my knees.
I came in just over 4:31, my goal was 4:30 so not to bad. \:\)
I was 4th in my age group, about a minute behind 3rd and 8th overall out of about 170 people.
The lady I ran with ended up first overall for the woman, we gave a big hug when she found out.
I found a park ranger and she bandaged be up and I hung out and watched some more finishers.
The knee was getting stiffer and stiffer so I tried to keep moving, my wife and kids were meeting me at the beach just down the road so I made the half mile trek down there and was greeted by my wife giving me the typical WTF happened to you look.
I then enjoyed an incredible couple hours at the beach with the fam, wife had packed a cooler with beers and snacks. Fucking awesome.
So now I sit here at work with a knee cap thats about twice as big as the other one and a gash that is still bleeding, I have a 3pm appt with my regular doctor to get it checked out. Hoping for the best. \:\(

#7117630 - 06/10/13 12:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Man I probably would have called it quits at the first sign of blood. Congrats on powering through.

Originally Posted By: SJP0tato
I've been going through the past 1-1.5 years of posts, very good info.

I just started running for the first time a couple months back. Nothing serious (maybe 2 miles per session, 2-3 times per week). The first 2-3 weeks were more like 20% running 80% walking, but I'm definitely seeing improvement.

Last week my brother asked if I wanted to run a half-marathon with him in late September so I said "sure"!
Started the Hal Higdon plan and just finished the first 4-miler this morning:
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

So far so good, expected aches & pains I suppose, but I'm having a blast. I was planning on just repeating week 7 or so until the remaining weeks line up with the upcoming half. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Seems like a good plan to me. As long as you're having fun. \:\)
89 Camaro - Sold

#7117705 - 06/10/13 12:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Heres a pic of the knee.

#7118145 - 06/10/13 02:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Fantastic report. It reminds me of one of the reasons I love these races...the friendly people. Nobody in an ultra is going run by or not stop for a downed runner...he'll even one that just looks tired. I think Id like to do that race next year....I love that area.

I was just browsing ultrasignup last night. I think I'm going to sign up for the Bootlegger 50k in Boulder City NV in the fall. Only a month after IM Tahoe, but I really want to race on trails.

#7122709 - 06/12/13 12:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Fantastic report. It reminds me of one of the reasons I love these races...the friendly people. Nobody in an ultra is going run by or not stop for a downed runner...he'll even one that just looks tired. I think Id like to do that race next year....I love that area.

I was just browsing ultrasignup last night. I think I'm going to sign up for the Bootlegger 50k in Boulder City NV in the fall. Only a month after IM Tahoe, but I really want to race on trails.

There is another race on the same course in October.

#7122717 - 06/12/13 12:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

This is at the final aid station, about 2 miles from the finish.

#7122836 - 06/12/13 12:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Looks to me that you're losing to a girl! ;\) But seriously, I bet that was fun having blood run down your leg while running. You're on tough mother!

I just ran for the first time in 1.5 weeks (since the marathon) was 6 miles I did it in 58 minutes. Could feel some soreness, my right calf was really not appreciating the effort. Glad to be back running. I jumped right back into training. This time I am doing the Relentless Forward Progress 50k on 50m a week plan. I had to cut off the first like 6 weeks or something though. Got my 50k on October 5th so we'll see how this all goes. My plan for this one is just to finish and not try to run it all, I'll take my backpack along and just want to survive. Walk hills, jog downhills and try to run the flats.

#7122857 - 06/12/13 01:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Lividentity]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Lividentity
Looks to me that you're losing to a girl! ;\) But seriously, I bet that was fun having blood run down your leg while running. You're on tough mother!

I just ran for the first time in 1.5 weeks (since the marathon) was 6 miles I did it in 58 minutes. Could feel some soreness, my right calf was really not appreciating the effort. Glad to be back running. I jumped right back into training. This time I am doing the Relentless Forward Progress 50k on 50m a week plan. I had to cut off the first like 6 weeks or something though. Got my 50k on October 5th so we'll see how this all goes. My plan for this one is just to finish and not try to run it all, I'll take my backpack along and just want to survive. Walk hills, jog downhills and try to run the flats.

Thats what my wife said.
Turns out this girl is a 3:10 marathoner and set the womens course record this day.

October is a ways away, still time to get some good training in.
But yes...the first 50k should be all about just finishing, I learner that the hard way with my DNF.

#7122924 - 06/12/13 01:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Lividentity Offline
Major Member

Haha that's awesome your wife giving you a hard time as well. Let her know CSi is fully capable of doing it. :P

Also, well, in that case, she'd be halfway done her second marathon by the time I finished my first, haha.

Yeah man I'm looking forward to, as well as dreading, all the training. Numerous 18+ milers, but I'll probably just turn these into half-day ordeals where I don't care specifically about doing it quick like I did with marathon training. Gotta get into a different perspective in my head. I really suck at trying to keep my pace down to be able to go further, I always go out running too fast lol.

#7123156 - 06/12/13 02:49 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman
This is at the final aid station, about 2 miles from the finish.

Fantastic shot. \:D

#7123163 - 06/12/13 02:51 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman

There is another race on the same course in October.
. Bootlegger is Nov 9th. I should do both. \:\)

#7123381 - 06/12/13 03:52 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I'm a pusssy and didn't run

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (06/12/13 09:03 PM)

#7127939 - 06/14/13 06:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

My quest to do a half in under 2 hours is nearly there. 11 miles today... 99 minutes. Hope to break the barrier by mid July.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7128004 - 06/14/13 06:53 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Whats your current routine? Doing any intervals? Or slightly fastet than goal pace runs?
11@ 99 is great. Yourr pretty much there?

#7128009 - 06/14/13 06:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Design
My quest to do a half in under 2 hours is nearly there. 11 miles today... 99 minutes. Hope to break the barrier by mid July.

Nice job Kent! Doing back to back longer runs will help you deal with the fatigue in those last 2 or 3 miles when your pace will start to fall off.

Page 61 of 148 « First<5960616263>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads