Page 60 of 148 « First<5859606162>Last »
Topic Options
#7052067 - 05/05/13 09:57 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Haha, yeah, I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. I plan to hit the start, finish and as many spots as I can inbetween.

I had a great week of training:

Swim: 2 miles
Bike: 100 miles
Run: 50 miles

Feeling pretty ready for my race on Saturday. Hoping to hit 2:20 for the Olympic distance (1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run.
26 minute swim would be fine, 1:10 bike would be great, and a 45 minute 10k would be awesome. Add in a few minutes for transition and it's doable.

#7053340 - 05/06/13 04:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Ran the OC Half this weekend. Pretty well organized and a nice flat scenic route. It was my first half and I'm hooked. Looking to do another later this year if time permits. Maybe the LB Half?
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7053443 - 05/06/13 04:53 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job man. The LB half is a nice super flat course, but it does have a super congested start.

#7053460 - 05/06/13 04:59 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Haha it was the same with OC. It normally doesn't sell out. But Boston definitely drove up the registration. Lots of folks running for the cause.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7055741 - 05/07/13 05:33 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
 Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer
April was a good month of training for me! 302 miles on the month with a 101 mile week and 4 longer runs of 20-35 miles. I got more done, training wise, in April than I did in all of Jan-Mar for my last race. Here's to a good taper and not blowing up next weekend

I've also juggled stuff on my calendar and am waffling on whether to sign up for UROC. I really want to run this one. It's going to have a huge turnout with lots of the front runners showing up for a shot at that rare prize money. It's also 2 hours away from me, which makes it even more appealing. My concern is that Aug/Sep is already really busy with 3 races between Aug 3 and Sep 14. This would be two weeks later on Sep 28th. Part of me thinks it's too much and I'm asking for trouble, but I still want to sign up and give myself the option to run. It'd be more of a "get out and enjoy the trails and awesome race day atmosphere before it gets cold" thing than a harder race effort (but you know how that race day adrenaline does funny things). I'd also have a big break with nothing on the calendar until my last race of the season 8 weeks later. I'm telling myself I'm going to take off running from Thanksgiving to New Year after such a busy fall too, so I'm rationalizing the busy fall schedule every which way I can

How's everyone else doing? Anyone else with events in May?

Damn dude! Nice! You should kick some ass on your races.
I have a 50k on saturday, no idea what to expect.
I had been feeling super sluggish lately, like zero energy but still putting in the miles. Last friday I wanted to get in 3 hours on the trail, get out there and its 95 degrees.
I had my vest with a 50oz bladder so I filled that and also filled a simple bottle that I keep in my waistband, killed both 65 minutes into the run.
My legs felt like shit and I was out of water and over an hour from my car, decided I should turn around and ran for what seemed like the longest hour ever.
That run just absolutely fucked me mentally.
I also decided to weigh myself the other day and I have lost 10 pounds, I usually am 155, up to 160 at time and I weighed 145.
I have been eating like fucking crazy trying to get some weight back on, I ate 4 avacados for a late snack last night.
I decided I am going to approach this weekend like a long training run, no taper, nothing special just another run.

Paki: 3:36

#7056285 - 05/07/13 10:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah man...just go into it with the idea of just finishing and enjoying the day. You'll do great. ;\)

#7056721 - 05/08/13 08:27 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Sunny FL
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
Haha, yeah, I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. I plan to hit the start, finish and as many spots as I can inbetween.

I had a great week of training:

Swim: 2 miles
Bike: 100 miles
Run: 50 miles

Feeling pretty ready for my race on Saturday. Hoping to hit 2:20 for the Olympic distance (1.5k swim, 40k bike, 10k run.
26 minute swim would be fine, 1:10 bike would be great, and a 45 minute 10k would be awesome. Add in a few minutes for transition and it's doable.

That's a crazy fast time! Good luck. I hope I can get my swim down to that time eventually. I was at 37 minutes for my first attempt which I was pretty happy with. Was hoping for 40 ish minutes.

#7056850 - 05/08/13 09:19 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, that's not a bad time at all...and even better that you had a good experience with your first.

#7056977 - 05/08/13 10:06 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
Yeah man...just go into it with the idea of just finishing and enjoying the day. You'll do great. ;\)

Yep, all of this.

I've been getting rocked with allergies for the past week now. Right at the beginning of my taper the leaves came out and I've just been fatigued, dead legs, sleeping for 8+ hours and still wanting more sleep, etc. At first I thought I was recovering from the mileage but after a couple days I looked up the pollen counts (25x increase) and now I've started taking Zyrtec and am hoping for the best on Saturday. I have the fitness there but I just feel wiped after a run with all this pollen in the air. Good news: it's been in the mid 70s all week but Saturday is a high of 57 and partly cloudy!! SO excited about that as April was cold and nobody has been running in "heat".

Do you think seasonal allergies could be behind your symptoms, ampsman?

#7057246 - 05/08/13 11:26 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Yep, all of this.

I've been getting rocked with allergies for the past week now. Right at the beginning of my taper the leaves came out and I've just been fatigued, dead legs, sleeping for 8+ hours and still wanting more sleep, etc. At first I thought I was recovering from the mileage but after a couple days I looked up the pollen counts (25x increase) and now I've started taking Zyrtec and am hoping for the best on Saturday. I have the fitness there but I just feel wiped after a run with all this pollen in the air. Good news: it's been in the mid 70s all week but Saturday is a high of 57 and partly cloudy!! SO excited about that as April was cold and nobody has been running in "heat".

Do you think seasonal allergies could be behind your symptoms, ampsman?

Yes...I am definitely thinking it is allergies. Maybe I'll try zyrtec also and see if it helps. Forecast for Saturday is mid 80's so I need to be prepared for some heat again also, alot of exposed areas out there. I'm excited though, just gonna try and enjoy it. This race draws some really good runners so it should be cool to see them kill it out there, course record for the 50 miler is 6:01.

#7057679 - 05/08/13 02:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

I've found that Allegra D works really well for me. Give that a try if the zyrtec doesn't help.
#7062957 - 05/10/13 05:20 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

My head is sooo stuffed up! I cant breath thru my nose at all!
I started taking some zyrtec yesterday, hopefully it kicks in soon.

#7064361 - 05/11/13 06:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Tough race today! Super hilly bike, crazy hilly trail run....all at 90+ degrees!

25:XX swim: felt fantastic.

1:14 bike, averaged 20.4 mph. Lots of hills first 16 miles, smoking fast last 8 miles...averaged over 30mph in that section.

10k run: 59:XX. Felt relatively good, but it was a tough course mix of single track and fire road with lots of climbing.

50/200 overall, 6/22 in the 35-39 age group. 1/4 in the family category. \:D My fast brother had a flat though. Beat him on the swim, but he put 9 minutes on me on the run with a 50:00, which was the 14th fastest run time of the day. My little brother in his first tri had the 17th fastest swim! We've decided we should do relays instead...we would dominate.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (05/11/13 06:59 PM)

#7067051 - 05/13/13 06:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

1/4 in the family category. \:D

Funny how that can be the most important category of them all

Sounds like a great race in tough conditions! Congrats. I can't imagine racing in 90+ degrees. That's so rough man haha

I've updated my long post in OT with my Ice Age race report: http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/6761220/fpart/8

CN: something unexpected, and as yet unexplained, happened with my left knee and was unable to run past ~13 miles or so. Spent most of the day walking and getting progressively worse (shocker) but still finished in 11:26, a whopping 34 minutes before course cutoff

All jokes and sarcasm aside, I'm pretty freaking proud of myself for gutting it out. Dropping out was looking pretty tempting with 37 miles and 10 hours ahead of me.

#7067288 - 05/13/13 08:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

No shit man....that must have been the mental battle from hell! That's why I got my Death Before DNF tattoo. :D. Just a reminder to suck it up and finish it....time be damned!

#7068018 - 05/14/13 10:02 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

I think the hardest part was beginning to question whether I was doing more serious damage as the day wore on. There's a fine line between gutting it out and being an idiot it when it comes to things like this and I'm still not sure which side of the line I fell on. I *think* I'm out of the woods in terms of bad news stuff now, but by the end of the race I was fairly certain something had torn behind my right knee. That was definitely the worst part of it for me.

Can you post up your death before DNF tattoo, Chris? I think I saw it when you originally posted it but I'd love to see it again. Great reminder to not be a baby on race day

#7068262 - 05/14/13 12:38 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Ehhh...theres always going to be another race. If you are questioning at all your health or long term affects from continuing then there is no reason to keep going.
Swallow your pride and drop.

#7068794 - 05/14/13 04:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman
Ehhh...theres always going to be another race. If you are questioning at all your health or long term affects from continuing then there is no reason to keep going.

Agreed, but this was just a tight IT band that didn't seem to mind walking at first. It didn't get to the point of "oh shit, maybe this was too much" until the last three miles of the race.

If it were breathing related like your issues in your last race? I'd drop for sure. That's a lot more cut and dry in my book.

#7068951 - 05/14/13 06:03 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: ampsman

Agreed, but this was just a tight IT band that didn't seem to mind walking at first. It didn't get to the point of "oh shit, maybe this was too much" until the last three miles of the race.

If it were breathing related like your issues in your last race? I'd drop for sure. That's a lot more cut and dry in my book.

That makes more sense then. Hopefully some r&r will take care of it and you'll be back out there soon.
Mad props for walking those last 37 miles, that is shit loads of determination.
My wife always kids me about how much I hate to walk but I'll go out and run 20 miles without thinking twice. I'm an impatient fucker.

#7070231 - 05/15/13 11:22 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

I know what you mean! I got into running by way of hiking, but now I rarely go out for a hike without thinking "man, this is so slow! Let's run this trail!". This is a habit I need to break over the summer because hiking muscles are not running muscles and Leadville will certainly include its fair share of hiking.

Related note: one of the best ultra articles I've read. The author does a pretty awesome job of capturing some of the feelings around Leadville.

http://deadspin.com/i-dont-understand-what-motivates-people-to-run-like-thi-451791253

Quote:
For more than 20 hours, I've been watching the packs of runners pass through various aid stations. By now, it seems less like a race, something with a particular competitive object, than like a communal exercise in self-affirmation. To run in the race is to suffer, but also to be constantly told how wonderful you were—to feel a whole world of complete strangers supporting you and cheering you on.

Such a trip, man. I don't think you can be around those volunteers, spectators and crew all day without feeling an overwhelming sense of "humanity...fuck yeah!".

#7075764 - 05/18/13 12:40 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Trucks Offline
Post Master

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I ran the Brooklyn Half (my first race longer than a 10K) this morning. My running has slowed the past month because I've been working a lot, so I just wanted to finish in under 2 hours, and I ended up at 1:46:43. Felt pretty great! Took a long nap and now gonna go grill some food and drink some beers.

#7077022 - 05/19/13 03:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Trucks]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job man...that's a solid performance!

I hiked 11 miles and 5000ft of elevation change in 24 hours with my 11 year old. Slept at a backcountry camp. It was awesome, and kicked my ass. Harder than if Id have ran it in 2 hours or so.

#7078915 - 05/20/13 06:20 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Holy crap some great stuff here since I last checked in. Need to visit here more often for motivation.

Ran a 21.30 3 miler yesterday. Slow for CSI standards but a personal best for this old fogey. \:\)

Edited by Design (05/20/13 06:21 PM)
89 Camaro - Sold

#7081180 - 05/21/13 07:54 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
lessthanmike Offline
Major Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I ran the Cleveland Half Marathon on Sunday. I was really hoping for 1:30:xx, but finished at disappointing 1:36:29. I can't really give any excuses but my own mistakes. The weather was perfect for the half (mid 60's and overcast at the start) but ended up hot and sunny for the people running the full.

My big mistakes were trying to keep running thru the water stops(pinch the cup and drink while running, the first water stop it went right up my nose. So the next 2 times I grabbed water I just stopped off to the side and drank and started running again. If I would have just kept running I might have made my time.

On a side note one of my training partners hammered the marathon, finishing at 2:48:29 2nd in his age group and 12 overall.

NOHC--D, Because she knows I couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a handful of pardons.

#7083180 - 05/22/13 04:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: lessthanmike]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Pretty damn good. I'm just hoping to make it under 2 hours on my next one.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7091702 - 05/27/13 06:54 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Saturday I did the run that started me on my journey of running. It motivated me to do a marathon and a triathlon and many other 5k, 10k, 15ks over the past year. Last year I ran a 24.33, this year i improved my time considerably finishing in 21.27. That was good fun 6th in my division and 54th out of 225 total.
#7092299 - 05/28/13 07:24 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
JackiesCivic Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Muskego, WI
I ran a mile for the first time since HS yesterday. A little over 15 minutes, at about 4.5mph. I feel awesome about it. It's nice to know that I CAN do it!
#7092312 - 05/28/13 07:40 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: JackiesCivic]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Nice! It feels good doing things you think you may not be able to do doesn't it. Keep it going. Soon you'll be doing more miles than you ever though you'd run in your life and you'll love it.
#7093139 - 05/28/13 02:34 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good job guys. Keep it up!

Running my first 10K this weekend, followed by a 5K in July and then resuming training for another half in October. Would like to do the LA full next March. We'll see how things go...
89 Camaro - Sold

#7094565 - 05/29/13 09:16 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
JackiesCivic Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Monkeydias
Nice! It feels good doing things you think you may not be able to do doesn't it. Keep it going. Soon you'll be doing more miles than you ever though you'd run in your life and you'll love it.

I think part of the reason I was able to do it is because I'm down 11lbs since the last time I attempted. Plus, there was a hot guy on the treadmill next to me \:D

#7094759 - 05/29/13 10:07 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: JackiesCivic]
MonkeyStillAlive Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: JackiesCivic

I think part of the reason I was able to do it is because I'm down 11lbs since the last time I attempted. Plus, there was a hot guy on the treadmill next to me \:D

Even more power to you for doing it on the treadmill. I can't think of many things I hate more than running on a treadmill. I love being outside in the fresh air. Having the wind blow in your hair and seeing wildlife running makes it all that much better for me.

#7094936 - 05/29/13 11:12 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Got this ahead of me tonight.
http://www.portlandtrailseries.com/_/rsrc/1369797564229/home/PTS%20Spring%203%20Route.png
7.42 miles with moderate uphill till a decent ending climb, then back down the same route. It's a decayed cobbled road, so it's flat-ish, but just enough unevenness to punish the ankles.

I haven't done over 7 in probably 2-3 months, and haven't ran over 5 since 4 weeks ago due to a mild case of plantar fascia. I'm hoping for 1:05 or less.

#7096341 - 05/29/13 10:41 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

58 minutes
The hill at midpoint sucked up and down. Sloppy mud on top of clay.
Expecting quads to hurt.

Drinking beer and endorphin buzzin. I should run more races!

#7096587 - 05/30/13 07:45 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: MonkeyStillAlive]
JackiesCivic Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: JackiesCivic

Even more power to you for doing it on the treadmill. I can't think of many things I hate more than running on a treadmill. I love being outside in the fresh air. Having the wind blow in your hair and seeing wildlife running makes it all that much better for me.

It's not my favorite either, by far. My ADHD only lets me get to a mile before I have to stop lol. Eventually I will get to running outside. My joints hated me on Tuesday and Wednesday. In fact, they are still a bit achy \:\(

#7097478 - 05/30/13 01:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: JackiesCivic]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Learn from my mistake and take it easy lol. I do like treadmills for their ability to control pace and incline. Great training tool.

As for redundancy... smartphone is your friend. Currently catching up on House of Cards on Netflix. Something to consider once you become more comfortable with the breathing and running in a fixed location.

Like Chris (Mr. Mom) I was waaay out of shape before I found running. Now I couldn't imagine my life without it. Hope you find it as fun as many of us do here.
89 Camaro - Sold

Page 60 of 148 « First<5859606162>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads