Page 14 of 16 « First<1213141516>
Topic Options
#10037715 - 04/11/21 10:00 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: c2k]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: c2k
 Originally Posted By: Wildout
DO NOT PAY for any service locally.

Due to our laws, no treatment can be done to fix your lawn. PERIOD!

Order Prodiamine or Tenacity from the States for crabgrass, but in doing so know that you'll have a thin lawn all summer as I'm guessing you don't have enough actual grass. So once the weeds are gone it'll look bare.

Most importantly there's a schedule, temps, cutting height etc on when to do anything to your lawn. It's simple but people complicate it.

In terms of what you should be doing this week & next. Clean up your lawn or any and all debris. Rocks, sand, poo, leaves etc.

That means raking, bringing in the soil to level out the dips and valley's in the lawn.

And stop following what the neighbour does. Each lawn is different and requires a different plan depending on how much time you have.

I'd totally be ok if you lay out a lawn care plan and schedule for CSi Ontario and we can follow your guidelines.

I've raked and detached my lawn and my next question is - when do I fertilize and seed? I've got some bare spots from the raccoons digging up the grubs.

There's never a time you can't fertilize. It can always be done. The problem is people over-fertilize & then either burn their lawn or don't want to deal with cutting it after. I fertilized weekly last year inorder to speed up the process of my lawn looking like shit after some major work.

It's better to spoon-feed the lawn Once a month compared to loading it up every 3 months.

Right now we're still in clean up, rake, cut etc. As soon as we have 5 days of 15c straight, you can then begin the over-seeding.

The very most important part of overseeding is soil to seed contact, which means raking it in, top dressing or best using a lawn roller if you have. Don't just sprinkle it on and hope for the best. That won't work.

Before overseeding, you need to cut the lawn, one level SHORTER than you normally cut the grass at. Give the new seed a chance, don't have it competing for sunlight against the existing grass.

3rd there are only 2 seed types I would recommend in Ontario's climate. Kentucky Blue Grass or Perrenial Rye Grass. Which you pick, depends on your goal. Tall Type Fescue needs to be cut too tall 4" and looks like shit imo. I'm trying to rid my backyard of it.

Kentucky Blue Grass grows sideways (creeps) as well as up. So it can fill bare spots over time. So your lawn gets thicker as time goes on. It doesn't die in heat or winter, but instead goes dormant. But it take 27 days to germinate from seed.

Most people don't have the patience to wait a month for it to grow. Trying to water it 3 times a day. (Morning, Noon & Night) in order to keep the seed wet. While their yard looks like a dirt pile.

Perrienal Rye Grass germinates from seed in 7 days, but only grows where you drop it. It will not creep, so if you miss a spot it'll stay that way till you seed again. It will die in extreme heat if it doesn't get watered. If watered it'll just go dormant. Some will die off in the cold. It's also the darkest green grass type that you can get.

Now I can't tell you which one to pick & if you don't want to. Use both, just know that the colour up close won't be an exact match. From standing height most don't know the difference.

Now based on history the last week of April to May 24 weekend is usually when we hit the magic 15c for 5 days in a row. Each year is different.

So until then, keep cutting only 1/3 of the grass blade at a time of, keep raking, set your mower height properly, 2-3" height of cut for most & level out the dips in the lawn with topsoil.

I'll add the proper way to fertilize the lawn later on in the week.

#10039815 - 04/15/21 05:56 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany

Order Prodiamine or Tenacity from the States for crabgrass, but in doing so know that you'll have a thin lawn all summer as I'm guessing you don't have enough actual grass. So once the weeds are gone it'll look bare.

Most importantly there's a schedule, temps, cutting height etc on when to do anything to your lawn. It's simple but people complicate it.

In terms of what you should be doing this week & next. Clean up your lawn or any and all debris. Rocks, sand, poo, leaves etc.

That means raking, bringing in the soil to level out the dips and valley's in the lawn.

And stop following what the neighbour does. Each lawn is different and requires a different plan depending on how much time you have.

I'd totally be ok if you lay out a lawn care plan and schedule for CSi Ontario and we can follow your guidelines.

I've raked and detached my lawn and my next question is - when do I fertilize and seed? I've got some bare spots from the raccoons digging up the grubs.

There's never a time you can't fertilize. It can always be done. The problem is people over-fertilize & then either burn their lawn or don't want to deal with cutting it after. I fertilized weekly last year inorder to speed up the process of my lawn looking like shit after some major work.

It's better to spoon-feed the lawn Once a month compared to loading it up every 3 months.

Right now we're still in clean up, rake, cut etc. As soon as we have 5 days of 15c straight, you can then begin the over-seeding.

The very most important part of overseeding is soil to seed contact, which means raking it in, top dressing or best using a lawn roller if you have. Don't just sprinkle it on and hope for the best. That won't work.

Before overseeding, you need to cut the lawn, one level SHORTER than you normally cut the grass at. Give the new seed a chance, don't have it competing for sunlight against the existing grass.

3rd there are only 2 seed types I would recommend in Ontario's climate. Kentucky Blue Grass or Perrenial Rye Grass. Which you pick, depends on your goal. Tall Type Fescue needs to be cut too tall 4" and looks like shit imo. I'm trying to rid my backyard of it.

Kentucky Blue Grass grows sideways (creeps) as well as up. So it can fill bare spots over time. So your lawn gets thicker as time goes on. It doesn't die in heat or winter, but instead goes dormant. But it take 27 days to germinate from seed.

Most people don't have the patience to wait a month for it to grow. Trying to water it 3 times a day. (Morning, Noon & Night) in order to keep the seed wet. While their yard looks like a dirt pile.

Perrienal Rye Grass germinates from seed in 7 days, but only grows where you drop it. It will not creep, so if you miss a spot it'll stay that way till you seed again. It will die in extreme heat if it doesn't get watered. If watered it'll just go dormant. Some will die off in the cold. It's also the darkest green grass type that you can get.

Now I can't tell you which one to pick & if you don't want to. Use both, just know that the colour up close won't be an exact match. From standing height most don't know the difference.

Now based on history the last week of April to May 24 weekend is usually when we hit the magic 15c for 5 days in a row. Each year is different.

So until then, keep cutting only 1/3 of the grass blade at a time of, keep raking, set your mower height properly, 2-3" height of cut for most & level out the dips in the lawn with topsoil.

That's amazing. Thanks for sharing pointers on how to make the grass nice and lush. I'll admit that I've burned my grass numerous of times by putting too much fertilizer down and I will try the weekly method and hope for the best.

Is there a particular grass brand that works best? or stick to the breed of grass you recommended?

#10041353 - 04/17/21 07:52 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: c2k]
DoWnGEAR Offline
Post Master

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Great info. I think this is the year to finally turn the lawn around considering I am around to water. Now that I know the type of seed to buy, where do I buy it in Toronto?
#10043895 - 04/21/21 05:16 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Alright boss man, give us the goods despite the snow.

I am condensing your posts for my own notes:

Overseed - 5 days of 15c - (end of April - 1st 2 weeks of May)
Prep: cut lawn shorter than average (rake in & top soil) - roller nice to have*

1. How often to water once you overseed? What time of day do you water?
2. When do we apply fertilizer relative to pre and post overseeding?

#10044040 - 04/21/21 10:20 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

What options do you have if you have kids that are always on the grass? SOL? I can have them stay off for a few days and maybe stretch it to a week.
#10044083 - 04/21/21 11:18 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Let them enjoy it, probably not much you can do to save it. If the area warrants itself to it maybe put down mulch instead so it doesn't look like a mudpile.
#10044177 - 04/21/21 01:07 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
 Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
What options do you have if you have kids that are always on the grass? SOL? I can have them stay off for a few days and maybe stretch it to a week.

backyard? buy turf and be done.

#10044191 - 04/21/21 01:31 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman

backyard? buy turf and be done.

Would love to

#10046349 - 04/25/21 05:54 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: DoWnGEAR
Great info. I think this is the year to finally turn the lawn around considering I am around to water. Now that I know the type of seed to buy, where do I buy it in Toronto?

I've had success with many different brands, I used Scott's Awesome last year in the backyard. In the front, I use stuff from the local sod farm.

Originally Posted By: Risky Business

Alright boss man, give us the goods despite the snow.

I am condensing your posts for my own notes:

Overseed - 5 days of 15c - (end of April - 1st 2 weeks of May)
Prep: cut lawn shorter than average (rake in & topsoil) - roller nice to have*

1. How often to water once you overseed? What time of day do you water?
2. When do we apply fertilizer relative to pre and post overseeding?

How often to water depends on your particular lawn. What kind of soil you have, tree coverage, the direction your house faces etc. The goal is to just keep it damp all day long. It's better to water more frequently instead of one heavy watering when it comes to terms with seeding until it germinates. For my lawn, I was able to get away with morning and evening 15 mins at a time. You just got to keep an eye on it.

2. Adding fertilizer isn't the problem, it's strictly the AMOUNT of nitrogen that's available to the seed that's already in the soil. Before, during or after is all fine. But it all depends on when you last fertilized, the amount or if you used fast release (instant) fertilizer or slow-release fertilizer. I prefer slow-release myself. But have used fast (urea) as well.

It's safe to assume you have none or very little as if you did the grass would be growing like crazy and thus you'd have to be cutting it very very often.

You can use Rye Grass to overseed and keep them off it for 2 weeks, or rope off half and seed half of it and once the grass catches rope off the other half. But if you plan on doing that, do it during September not now.

Sodding is also an option, but with sodding, they MUST stay off of it. With overseeding, you just have to add more seed if it doesn't catch & hope the temperature window stays between 15c - 28c. Hence why it's better to do it in the fall.

#10046352 - 04/25/21 05:59 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Ok, the proper way to fertilize is to do it by the amount of Nitrogen in the bag. NOT by the season.

Never exceed more than 1lb of nitrogen over 1000 sq ft. I personally put down only 0.5lb of Nitrogen at a time.

So use Google Earth or an old-school measuring tape and see how big your yard is. Front, side, back etc. Break it up into sections.

Then use this website to figure out your amounts. http://agebb.missouri.edu/fertcalc/ Plugin the fertilizer that you currently using.

My front yard is roughly 1000sq ft, the fertilizer I use is 16-16-16. Once you punch the information into the website you find out the amount in LBS that you're supposed to put down. I chose to do it at 0.5lbs. That leaves me with 3lbs of product that I'm allowed to put down. Once you see how little you're supposed to actually use, you'll quickly see why people fuck it up.

That 3lbs has to be spread out over the entire 1000sq ft evenly. So then set your spreader to the lowest setting that the product will actually fit through the hopper and do multiple passes to ensure even coverage of the product. Don't try and do it in one pass.

Now whether you put that down, weekly, monthly etc all depends on how often you want to be cutting your lawn.

I put it down weekly last year as I needed it to fill in bare spots quickly as I was running out of my ideal temperature window to grow grass and was cutting it 5-6 times a week. This year I don't have to do that as my grass is much better this year. So I can fertilize less, which means I'll be cutting less 2-3 times a week.

As a reminder, it is always better to seed in the fall, but I understand if one doesn't want to look at a bare lawn until then.

#10052514 - 05/06/21 01:17 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

The dandelions came out with a vengeance
#10053021 - 05/07/21 10:51 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ok, the proper way to fertilize is to do it by the amount of Nitrogen in the bag. NOT by the season.

Never exceed more than 1lb of nitrogen over 1000 sq ft. I personally put down only 0.5lb of Nitrogen at a time.

So use Google Earth or an old-school measuring tape and see how big your yard is. Front, side, back etc. Break it up into sections.

Then use this website to figure out your amounts. http://agebb.missouri.edu/fertcalc/ Plugin the fertilizer that you currently using.

My front yard is roughly 1000sq ft, the fertilizer I use is 16-16-16. Once you punch the information into the website you find out the amount in LBS that you're supposed to put down. I chose to do it at 0.5lbs. That leaves me with 3lbs of product that I'm allowed to put down. Once you see how little you're supposed to actually use, you'll quickly see why people fuck it up.

That 3lbs has to be spread out over the entire 1000sq ft evenly. So then set your spreader to the lowest setting that the product will actually fit through the hopper and do multiple passes to ensure even coverage of the product. Don't try and do it in one pass.

Now whether you put that down, weekly, monthly etc all depends on how often you want to be cutting your lawn.

I put it down weekly last year as I needed it to fill in bare spots quickly as I was running out of my ideal temperature window to grow grass and was cutting it 5-6 times a week. This year I don't have to do that as my grass is much better this year. So I can fertilize less, which means I'll be cutting less 2-3 times a week.

As a reminder, it is always better to seed in the fall, but I understand if one doesn't want to look at a bare lawn until then.

I am at your disposal, fix my yard.

Bought 2 yards of cedar mulch and 1 yard of triple mix. Got shade seed and fertilizer.

Will fertilize lightly today, I've been raking and need to do some more. My yard is a complete joke right now. I totally let it go especially my back.

I will pull weeds this weekend, haven't cut yet as it hasn't grown much (my neighbours have mowed, but my shit grows so slow). I also burnt the crap out of it last year by over fertilizing once. Live and learn.

Talk to me big man!!1

Front yard:

Back yard:

#10053845 - 05/09/21 07:11 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
Holy a p/u truck full of soil!
A lot of work but that should be a lot cheaper than re sodding.
Many choose to re-sod instead.
I actually started working with a couple of guys resodding lawns.
I'll post some pics later.

#10053849 - 05/09/21 07:35 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: porschetr]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

I haven't really been paying attention to this thread but I've done some work on the front lawn this season.

July 2020 - damaged by work on driveway and the workers working next door. Grass died and clovers and other weed took over.

Today

This spring
-Fertilizer left over from last season
-Re-seeded/soil on areas didn't recover from last fall
-Over seed
-New Starter fertilizer
-Sodding areas with too much weed
-Grub killer
-Fiesta Weed Control sprayed today

These areas were heavily damaged by weed, so I put new sod.

This took about an hour. No machines, just hand tools.

April 28

Today

Found these guys while doing the work.

Got this for $140, shared with a buddy (4L bottle). Canadian weed management companies use this. Dilute 50ml of Fiesta to 1L of water.

#10054404 - 05/10/21 09:25 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: porschetr]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
fiesta works and is legal.

co-worker's backyard was all dandelions (95% coverage) and it took care of it.

#10054409 - 05/10/21 09:37 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

How can we get our hands on some?
#10054438 - 05/10/21 10:25 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
Chesswood, North York
https://www.pricelessproducts.com/item/Fiesta-Lawn-Weed-Killer-Domestic-4L/875/

How does it compare to Tenacity?

#10054598 - 05/11/21 10:11 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: civic13]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

That’s where we got it from.
Amazon had it earlier as well.

This doesn’t kill crabgrass though.
I think tenacity does.

#10054667 - 05/11/21 11:31 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: porschetr]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

yeah, tenacity is necessary for crabgrass but $$$$$

or you throw down prodiamine in the spring. i got a bag from seedranch.ca

#10055201 - 05/12/21 09:14 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Am I correct to assume that you should refrain from stepping on the grass when using any of these? My kids are on my grass every day.
#10055706 - 05/12/21 07:08 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Most products are fine once dry, with some saying stay off for 24hrs.
#10057088 - 05/14/21 12:59 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Do you get (legally) fucked if you buy illegal shit from seedranch.ca? (such as Tenacity) ....

When I ordered prodiamine off seedranch.ca, it came from the US ....

#10057372 - 05/14/21 05:39 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Why would you get fucked buying off a .ca website?
Worst thing that will happen is they get denied at the border.
It's not like you are importing a drug or firearm which is against the federal law.

Anyway, that place is way over priced.
I am not sure if they ship it here but it's $69 vs $99 from that site.
https://www.domyown.com/tenacity-herbici...e_youtube_video

#10057383 - 05/14/21 05:50 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: porschetr]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

fertilized almost a week ago (little), will fertilize again tomorrow, cut grass and the spread triple mix/seeds and get the sprinklers going.

Got an extra hose and sprinkler plus sprinkler timer thing, will run it 15 mins morning and 15 at night, hope for the best.

#10063675 - 05/26/21 07:42 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Sick of dragging out the hose ... I effectively have to move the sprinkler 11 fucking times just to water the entire area, and even then I'm missing a few spots FML.

Short of installing pop-up sprinklers, gonna buy a Y-splitter and another hose ... won't get as much pressure, but it'll relieve some of the stress of moving that shit.

Weedman came by yesterday and spread a bunch of dull orange pellets for crab grass suppression? It's already a fucking mess.

Next year I'll pay someone to level the grass; lumpy as hell from the crabgrass damage...

#10063721 - 05/26/21 08:48 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

The dandelions came out with a vengeance

lol that was 2-3 weeks ago. Boy was I wrong. They have completely taken over. Having said that, I have not used any fertilizer.

Funny that I am seeing multiple ads on Facebook for new sod installed for $2 /sq ft

#10063912 - 05/26/21 12:12 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

got a puppy a month ago, RIP my lawn.

Am I still SOL for up-keeping the lawn?

#10064567 - 05/27/21 10:50 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: c2k]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
got a puppy a month ago, RIP my lawn.

Am I still SOL for up-keeping the lawn?

i have a dog, but since she was raised in the city she knows to pee and poop on curbs. dog piss is great for weeds tho lol

#10065057 - 05/27/21 07:16 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Usually female dogs that squats to piss damage the grass.
My male Maltese did his thing for years and did nothing to our lawn.

#10067724 - 06/03/21 02:04 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: porschetr]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

those who have dogs, how do you get the dogs to stop digging and eating the grass? I've got lots of holes and missing patches of grass.

#10067906 - 06/03/21 07:36 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: c2k]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I like when my lawn dies so I don't have to cut it.

Doing it right? lol

#10085962 - 07/07/21 12:46 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: LNXGUY]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Lawn continues to look like shit. I've had Fiesta applied 3 times already (twice by WeedMan, once by myself) ...

I have more weeds than I can figure out, so I have a whole fucking arsenal of shit ... I hate my manual pump 2-gallon sprayer ...

Here's some crabgrass getting fucked by Tenacity, 2 days in:

The actual crabgrass on my lawn isn't as fucked ...

Edited by furball (07/07/21 12:50 PM)

#10086645 - 07/08/21 03:02 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

furball you should be fine. in september, you need to seed your lawn. eventually after a couple of years, you'll have a thick lawn and not need to worry anymore.

#10115063 - 08/28/21 07:49 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

It's go time for overseeding!
#10115463 - 08/29/21 05:31 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

If it's about time (when the temps drop a bit) ... I'll go to Costco and pick up those massive bags of seed. Seems the birds around my property are having a fucking buffet after I overseed...

Now that crabgrass seems to be under some control, the purslane weed seems to be taking over ... FML.

Also getting random dead patches of grass - whether it's over-spray of Fiesta/Tenacity, or something more sinister like grubs, who knows...

Edited by furball (08/29/21 05:31 PM)

Page 14 of 16 « First<1213141516>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads