Page 15 of 16 « First<1213141516>
Topic Options
#10115968 - 08/30/21 02:43 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
does anyone have a rain water collection setup? if so post up what you got.

i've been giving this some thought lately. i have various submersible pumps kicking around from the aquarium, most put out way more gph/pressure than tap water pressure. i was thinking about putting a down spout directly into a sealed 25 gallon drum, i can hide it behind my gate/fence and whenever i need to water the lawn i can just put a garden hose attachment to a piece of pvc and flip on the pump whenever i need to or hell even use rain water to wash a car (it'll probably be cleaner water than tap lol) figure it would save me lots on my water bill.

i've been trying to get my grass nice and green this year and for the most part i think i need to water the piss out of it, i probably don't have much of a layer of soil so it dries out quick and to keep it nice and moist i'm watering for like 2-3 hours a day.

Edited by titty sprinkles (08/30/21 02:45 PM)

#10116177 - 08/30/21 08:42 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: titty sprinkles]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
does anyone have a rain water collection setup? if so post up what you got.

i've been giving this some thought lately. i have various submersible pumps kicking around from the aquarium, most put out way more gph/pressure than tap water pressure. i was thinking about putting a down spout directly into a sealed 25 gallon drum, i can hide it behind my gate/fence and whenever i need to water the lawn i can just put a garden hose attachment to a piece of pvc and flip on the pump whenever i need to or hell even use rain water to wash a car (it'll probably be cleaner water than tap lol) figure it would save me lots on my water bill.

i've been trying to get my grass nice and green this year and for the most part i think i need to water the piss out of it, i probably don't have much of a layer of soil so it dries out quick and to keep it nice and moist i'm watering for like 2-3 hours a day.

bro rainwater setup?! fuck that you/us brown folks use this for bathing, don't act like you dunno wuddup!!

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#10116190 - 08/30/21 09:11 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

LMFAO don't get scared if you see me outside in a rain storm with a bar of soap

#10131418 - 09/27/21 10:24 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: titty sprinkles]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
It's that time of year where I start to see all the fucking work that's call Autumn.

- Shit ton of trees, shit ton of leaves
- Burlington has this 'Suck Leaves' day where you blow it to the curb, they'll vacuum that shit up, but it's pretty late in the season, and it's only once
- Last year tried putting leaves in piles, then putting the mower over it -- clogged to shit
- I have a Toro cordless leaf blower already

Considering:
- Ryobi cordless POS mulcher (looks cumbersome as fuck)
- SunJoe corded mulcher thingie (I'll have to leave it on the driveway, and just move the leaves to it.)
- Ghetto DIY thing with a large plastic bucket + weed whacker solution
- Just found out about standalone mulchers (corded), researching now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbNrr1w5cQk
(I'm invested in cordless Ryobi 18V and Toro 60v batteries already)

Thoughts?

Edited by furball (09/27/21 01:26 PM)

#10131495 - 09/27/21 11:25 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
I have a hand held Worx leaf blower/vacuum. Does the job well enough but the bag is kinda small so have to empty it several times. The mulching saves on number of bags to put to the curb but still ended up being a shit load. I should have the kids do it all this year \:D
#10132830 - 09/29/21 06:59 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Big Tasty]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

i have a sunjoe leave shredder like the WORX in your photo.

it works, definitely reduces the number of bags. it also been overheating last year which renders it inoperable for like 30 mins. still trying to find a faster/better solution but it works.

#10240842 - 04/11/22 09:12 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

So, kicking this thread to the top, as it's that time again ....

These were the condensed notes by Risky, based on Wildout:
 Quote:
Overseed - 5 days of 15c - (end of April - 1st 2 weeks of May)
Prep: cut lawn shorter than average (rake in & top soil) - roller nice to have*

I have the following:
- white fertilizer pellets
- tons of grass seed
- Prodiamine
- Tenacity
- Fiesta

I wasn't able to find the grass seed last year near the end of summer @ Costco, so didn't overseed as much as I wanted ... so I'll have to do it this year.

So, I guess I should be:
- prodiamine (pre-emergent, apply > 12C?)
- fertilizing first, as above (i.e. 4 days of +15C weather)
- wait 3-5 days
- overseed, patch up fucked area with soil, etc
- May-June, Fiesta every month or so?
- May-Sept, Tenacity monthly when and where crabgrass is coming to fuck with me...
- Sept prodiamine for next year
- late Sept overseed?

Entire yard is lumpy (lawn mower bounces like it's got fucked shocks), but too cheap to get someone to level the yard with soil ...

I have an entire section (~200 sq ft?) that doesn't get sun, so effectively the grass is thin as fuck. Considered just throwing mulch all over there, but nervous it'll be a mosquito breeding ground...

Edited by furball (04/11/22 09:19 PM)

#10241332 - 04/12/22 02:30 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm throwing in the towel and using a service my next door neighbour uses. While I'm yanking out dandelions/crabgrass all summer and trying to seed dead spots, he is just cutting and watering his lawn without a weed in sight.

They just came by to lay some fertilizer just now. I should stock up on grass seeds now to put down later though.

#10241753 - 04/13/22 09:48 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Big Tasty]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Depends on how much sq footage you got. On last count I have ~11k sq ft.

The Fiesta shit + Tenacity isn't much fuss so far, just annoying I have to refill like 6-7 times my 2 gallon hand pump. I'm gonna pick up a 4gallon Ryobi powered backpack sprayer, see how this goes ...

This year I paid for Weedman to poke holes, rest will be on me. We may pay for a gardener to do some landscape tidying up, but see how it goes for this year.

Edited by furball (04/13/22 09:49 AM)

#10243563 - 04/16/22 08:16 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: furball
So, kicking this thread to the top, as it's that time again ....

These were the condensed notes by Risky, based on Wildout:
 Quote:
Overseed - 5 days of 15c - (end of April - 1st 2 weeks of May)
Prep: cut lawn shorter than average (rake in & top soil) - roller nice to have*

I have the following:
- white fertilizer pellets
- tons of grass seed
- Prodiamine
- Tenacity
- Fiesta

I wasn't able to find the grass seed last year near the end of summer @ Costco, so didn't overseed as much as I wanted ... so I'll have to do it this year.

So, I guess I should be:
- wait 3-5 days
- May-Sept, Tenacity monthly when and where crabgrass is coming to fuck with me...
- late Sept overseed?

Entire yard is lumpy (lawn mower bounces like it's got fucked shocks), but too cheap to get someone to level the yard with soil ...

I have an entire section (~200 sq ft?) that doesn't get sun, so effectively the grass is thin as fuck. Considered just throwing mulch all over there, but nervous it'll be a mosquito breeding ground...

You can't put down Prodiamine & overseed. You gotta spray the weeds after the new seed has germinated for the spring overseed.

Historically the fall overseed needs to happen the last week/first week of September or you won't have enough weeks left in order for it to thicken up before it gets too cold.

Realistically speaking though, if your lawn isn't levelled with topsoil it won't look as tidy.

To put into perspective I level mine every spring and fall. It depends on how bad our winters were and if the frost heave is bad or subtle.

#10243564 - 04/16/22 08:21 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Depends on how much sq footage you got. On last count I have ~11k sq ft.

The Fiesta shit + Tenacity isn't much fuss so far, just annoying I have to refill like 6-7 times my 2 gallon hand pump. I'm gonna pick up a 4gallon Ryobi powered backpack sprayer, see how this goes ...

This year I paid for Weedman to poke holes, rest will be on me. We may pay for a gardener to do some landscape tidying up, but see how it goes for this year.

Expect more weeds this year. Every time you open up the soil with an aerator, you break the weed killer/soil barrier.

I think you've created more work for yourself.

#10243971 - 04/18/22 07:29 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

So, I guess I should be:
- wait 3-5 days
- late Sept overseed?

furball, don’t think you can use preemergent and seed at the same time. you’ll be wasting seeds.

overseed like heck in the fall. fight the weeds this spring with preemergent, fiesta (dandelion) and tenacity (crabgrass).

argh. i just read wildout’s post lol. oops.

i’ll be applying the preemergent probably this weekend.

#10244206 - 04/18/22 01:37 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

So, just seed and fertilize, and skip the prodiamine? I mean, FFS, prodiamine is a PRE-EMERGENT....

I missed the window last fall to overseed......

I already have these fucking purple flower weeds sprouting ... starting to spread

Edited by furball (04/18/22 01:38 PM)

#10244210 - 04/18/22 01:53 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

This is the schedule the lawncare company gave me:

April/May - Spring Fertilization
May/June - Spring Weed & Crabgrass control
July/Aug - Summer Fertilization / Grub & Insect inspection
Sept/Oct - Fall Fertilization

#10244236 - 04/18/22 02:29 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I've got some 2,4-D when should I put this shit down?

#10244260 - 04/18/22 03:24 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

So, just seed and fertilize, and skip the prodiamine? I mean, FFS, prodiamine is a PRE-EMERGENT....

I missed the window last fall to overseed......

I already have these fucking purple flower weeds sprouting ... starting to spread

You already fucked up hard. You opened up the lawn so of course the weeds are going to sprout earlier than usual.

If you didn't overseed last fall AND you already did aerating expect a shit ton more weeds this year.

Lawn care is always lagging by a year, whatever you decide to be lazy on shows up the following year.

If I were you all I would be doing is overseeding, keeping people off the grass, and watering 3 times a day (10 mins each) to ensure the seed stays damp. Make sure you cover it/rake it into the soil. Not laying ontop of the grass.

Also forget Kentucky Blue Grass, will take too long with your situation. Find some 100% perennial rye grass and hope the weather doesn't swing back and forth.

#10244267 - 04/18/22 03:28 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Big Tasty]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
This is the schedule the lawncare company gave me:

April/May - Spring Fertilization
May/June - Spring Weed & Crabgrass control
July/Aug - Summer Fertilization / Grub & Insect inspection
Sept/Oct - Fall Fertilization

Weed/Crabgrass & Grub Inspection all fall under the same umbrella. They don't have anything more special than what you're already using.

So essentially you're paying for them to fertilize your lawn.

Don't expect any major change at the end of the year.

They're just doing things on the proper timeline is all. All the hardwork is still on you. (Mowing, overseeding, levelling, cleaning up debris etc)

#10244269 - 04/18/22 03:32 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: LNXGUY]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
I've got some 2,4-D when should I put this shit down?

If you're not overseeding, as soon as the temps stay above 15C for 3-5 days.

So pretty much in 2 weeks.

Then again end of June if your lawn isn't thick.

#10244495 - 04/19/22 06:02 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

^ dude, can you please put together a simple schedule for us to follow?

This is impossible to track, adding layers of info on top of old info, where something is no longer relevant, then something else is.

Help us out slow learners, if you can give us a dumbed down schedule that covers what to do from April - September, would be awesome. Trying to make sense and piece together a timeline from this thread would take hours.

#10244837 - 04/19/22 05:10 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

ya my lawn isn't too bad, but what should i be doing now to get it looking good for the year with as minimal effort as possible

Edited by titty sprinkles (04/19/22 05:11 PM)

#10244903 - 04/19/22 08:35 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business

This is impossible to track, adding layers of info on top of old info, where something is no longer relevant, then something else is.

Help us out slow learners, if you can give us a dumbed down schedule that covers what to do from April - September, would be awesome. Trying to make sense and piece together a timeline from this thread would take hours.

i do the following for ok grass

aprilish if its not too fucking cold out - clean, rake, fert
it's gonna be may nsync - seed & water like a motherfucker
june till it's too fucking cold out - water but only like a fucker, mow, pull up any weeds that pop up, yell at kids riding bike on my grass

#10244983 - 04/20/22 08:29 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
 Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman
[yell at kids riding bike on my grass

I can relate as well!

#10245031 - 04/20/22 09:38 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business

i do the following for ok grass

aprilish if its not too fucking cold out - clean, rake, fert
it's gonna be may nsync - seed & water like a motherfucker
june till it's too fucking cold out - water but only like a fucker, mow, pull up any weeds that pop up, yell at kids riding bike on my grass

This right here is perfect.

Add in mowing more often twice a week minimum.

#10245722 - 04/21/22 06:47 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

That's not helpful, but thanks anyways.
#10253362 - 05/06/22 01:01 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

This is how fucked up sections of my lawn is ... (Weedman came by, hence the holes and tractor marks)

Edited by furball (05/06/22 01:02 PM)

#10253489 - 05/06/22 03:31 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
My condolences Furball. So what the game plan to get it to a lush thick lawn and how much is it going to cost you?

Actually, at the state you're at wouldn't it be easier to lay down sod? I mean, there's barely any grass there. How much seed is needed to go from nothing to something?

#10253871 - 05/08/22 06:34 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

There’s a tree near there. It’s also rather shady.

As such it’s mostly shade. I wonder if I’m using the wrong grass seed. And or the tree is sucking up all the moisture from the ground etc …

Im going to probably buy a shit ton of soil, rake it out, and throw more seed down.

It was never this bad in that section. The weed chems I put down last season may have also pushed it past the threshold.

#10254056 - 05/09/22 05:31 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
1300cc_Rocket Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Ontario
Does anyone have success with growing decent grass under very mature oak trees that dump a metric f*ck-ton of acorns and with squirrels that constantly dig and bury on your own lawn? The Acorns cluster together and shade the seed I put down in the fall, and digging makes the lawn lumpy no matter how many times I try to level it. Tree itself is great to shade half the lawn at least..
Ive been thinking about just mowing down whatever green crap grows. Pull out some of the bigger satisfying to pull weeds and move on. Seems to me its a retired mans game, as you've got to be available to do all the right steps during the right window of opportunity, year in year out.

#10254206 - 05/09/22 10:44 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO

Actually, at the state you're at wouldn't it be easier to lay down sod? I mean, there's barely any grass there.

Definitely think putting down sod would be the better solution based on the pic.

#10254367 - 05/09/22 01:09 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: 1300cc_Rocket]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: 1300cc_Rocket
Seems to me its a retired mans game, as you've got to be available to do all the right steps during the right window of opportunity, year in year out.

NAILED IT!!!!!!

Nothing beats time in the lawn. No product, no company. Nothing.

#10287115 - 07/11/22 12:27 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Finally figured out wtf is going on.

There's a fucking berry tree, dropping all over the fucking place. I have at least 3 areas of the property with these fucking berries.

Went HAM and chopped the fuck out of some branches, contemplating going at it chainsaw-style ...

#10332276 - 10/06/22 10:03 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
winter fertilizer time soon

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#10333029 - 10/07/22 08:03 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

grass seed too around now or naw?

I'll spread the white pellets + prodiamine when I get a chance...

#10333093 - 10/07/22 09:16 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: furball]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

grass seed too around now or naw?

I'll spread the white pellets + prodiamine when I get a chance...

i threw down seeds 2 weeks ago. you better do it asap before 1st frost

prodiamine has to be well after the grass seeds have sprouted or else nothing will grow

#10333293 - 10/07/22 01:48 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Well, seeds more important this year ... didn't water all year other than rain, and the chems from years previous have totally decimated the yard...
Page 15 of 16 « First<1213141516>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads