Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#7539575 - 02/06/14 12:18 PM Learn Me on Triathlons
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
So I'm thinking of getting involved in my first triathlon this Summer. Nothing crazy, just a Sprint. I'm trying to see who here has participated and any sites/articles where I could learn more.

I'm not sure if this is something I want to do long term; but I want to try at least once. For the So Cal guys, any place you recommend for a basic bike & helmet rental?

CN: Need some good references to learn more about this crazy sport. Thanks!!
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#7539775 - 02/06/14 01:15 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
swirlyS13drifta
Unregistered

Fuck swimming.
#7539814 - 02/06/14 01:24 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: ]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Colorado
 Originally Posted By: swirlyS13drifta
Fuck swimming.

and spandex. and clipped shoes. and $2,000+ bikes. and road running. and $750 reg fees. and…

oh, and IB4Chris

#7539837 - 02/06/14 01:31 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

This one only costs about $75. What has me worried is the equipment "rental."
89 Camaro - Sold

#7539851 - 02/06/14 01:36 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm just a simple man with simple tastes. Training for three sports and buying all the equipment for the bike section only to get out there and compete in silence? Pass and a half, bro.

But some people love that sorta thing - so you do you and report back on how it goes!

EDIT: a couple weeks ago there was an indoor triathlon at the hot springs (pool laps outside, then indoor bike trainer and treadmill) and I had to wait 20 minutes for a treadmill. I may still be bitter.

Edited by 2000SiRacer (02/06/14 01:37 PM)

#7539929 - 02/06/14 01:57 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
just go and do it.
if you suck at swimming you better work on dat

#7539982 - 02/06/14 02:12 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: 2000SiRacer]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: 2000SiRacer
EDIT: a couple weeks ago there was an indoor triathlon at the hot springs (pool laps outside, then indoor bike trainer and treadmill) and I had to wait 20 minutes for a treadmill. I may still be bitter.

I think I'd try that for shits and giggles. \:\)

The equipment part is the appealing part! Life is more interesting with gear!

I'd wonder about the practicality of bike rental, as you'd likely want to be pretty well-acquainted with the characteristics of the bike you're racing on. You'd also need a bike to train on. I dunno...

That said--ib4 Mr. Mom.

still have an EM1--go figure

#7540003 - 02/06/14 02:22 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: gamby]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

For a Sprint I'd probably train at the gym. I've done bike but I'd probably want to do a couple runs outdoors to see how it compares to the stationary. It's in July. Wouldn't go for time; just finish and see if I like it.

Indoor sounds like fun too.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7540026 - 02/06/14 02:28 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: gamby]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: g@mby

I'd wonder about the practicality of bike rental, as you'd likely want to be pretty well-acquainted with the characteristics of the bike you're racing on. You'd also need a bike to train on. I dunno...

That said--ib4 Mr. Mom.

False! The almost complete lack of gear in ultras is very appealing to me. I saw how the whole "spend more money, get better results" thing works in photography and avoid biking largely for the similarities there.

#7540086 - 02/06/14 02:56 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
well you can do it without getting caught up in the consumerism aspect.

a moron noob who drops 10k on a bike could do the exact same thing on a used $500 bike or entry 1k bike. (or if lucky borrow from a friend)

#7540102 - 02/06/14 03:04 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Euphoricuck]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Euphoric

True, but I know myself well enough to know that wouldn't work. If I could spend lots of money for better performance at races now I 100% would. I love that I don't even have the option \:D

#7540167 - 02/06/14 03:34 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: 2000SiRacer]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: g@mby

That said--ib4 Mr. Mom.

False! The almost complete lack of gear in ultras is very appealing to me. I saw how the whole "spend more money, get better results" thing works in photography and avoid biking largely for the similarities there.

For me, bikes are like cars in terms of being able to mod/fuck around with them. Thus the appeal to me. Plus, I'm a 100% better bike mechanic than I am a car mechanic.

That said, I probably only have $2k into my "main" bike (never mind the three others ) I agree with Euphoric tho--a decent road bike can be had on CL for $500. Then you could train on it and get used being on it.

I think my hangup in this is you not getting miles/experience in on the bike you'll be racing on. I'm very much in tune with everything my bike does.

That said, Mr. Mom did an Ironman while training on a trainer for the bike leg (granted, it was still on his bike).

The buy-in is pricey, but then you'd have the gear for when you (inevitably) get into the sport. \:\)

#7540207 - 02/06/14 03:48 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: gamby]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

You guys suck. This whole modding thing seems addictive. I have a family to support dammit!!
89 Camaro - Sold

#7540245 - 02/06/14 04:02 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
You should totally do it Kent! Which race are you thinking of doing?

For your first sprint you can get away with any kind of bike really. Mountain bike, old road bike, hell, even a beach cruiser. \:D The distance is short enough that you can get to through it without anything too fast or expensive. If you find you like the sport, then you can tumble headlong into the abyss.

Since most of our races down here have swims in the ocean, you'll want to practice that for sure. You can rent a wetsuit from several different local tri shops, or you can buy a brand new Xterra for $150 (its what I have and have used for all my races.) If it happens to be in a pool (like Race on the Base or the Carson Tri, then you can skip all that.

Let me know what race it is and I can give you more specific advice.

#7540301 - 02/06/14 04:22 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Chris - It's Solana Beach. They even have a duathlon if I want to skip the beach swim.
http://www.kozevents.com/Triathlons/Solana_Beach_Triathlon.htm

Wife's friend is trying to recruit me. And I'm dead serious about it... providing it doesn't break the bank.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7540331 - 02/06/14 04:34 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: 2000SiRacer]
swirlyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Euphoric

True, but I know myself well enough to know that wouldn't work. If I could spend lots of money for the sameperformance at races now I 100% would. I love that I don't even have the option \:D

Fixed for me.
I manage restraint on boarding(barely), I've pretty much given up on biking because I know I'll go ape shit on it. I'll rent a nice mtn bike 2-3 times a year, and ride my 20 yo mtn bike for commuting, it's enough for me.

though if I had the time to learn to swim for shit I'd still love to do a tri, maybe that'll be my goal by 40.

#7540423 - 02/06/14 05:20 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Design
Chris - It's Solana Beach. They even have a duathlon if I want to skip the beach swim.
http://www.kozevents.com/Triathlons/Solana_Beach_Triathlon.htm

Wife's friend is trying to recruit me. And I'm dead serious about it... providing it doesn't break the bank.

I've heard that's a great race.

Id ask around and see if anyone you know has a road bike roughly your size, or even a hard tail mountain bike with slick tires on it that you can borrow. Obviously you'll want to get some training in on a bike, so if you can find a way to buy something affordable (even used on CL) you'll be better off. A road bike would be ideal since you can use that on family bike rides and stuff.

How strong of a swimmer are you? Youll need to get comfortable swimming in the ocean. We have a great protected spot in Belmont Shore Id be happy to take you for a swim.

#7540469 - 02/06/14 05:59 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Sounds good Chris. I'm 100% focused on marathon right now. Time frees up in late March. Assuming I don't kill myself, I'd love to check it out.

Also, I haven't forgotten about the running group. Got cleared from the wife but we are booked the next two weeks. Check in soon.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7540578 - 02/06/14 06:44 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
2000SiRacer Offline
Post Master Supreme

You guys suck. This whole modding thing seems addictive. I have a family to support dammit!!

Welcome to the tri world.

#7540814 - 02/06/14 08:28 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Modding bikes can sometimes make meth seem like a couple of NoDoz in comparison!

#7545063 - 02/09/14 07:53 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: 2000SiRacer]
Roxanne Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ask me about bio-currency

Welcome to the tri world.

This. Please tell me you're over 6'4".... I'll sell you all my gear. \:\)

#7716262 - 06/02/14 02:02 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Roxanne]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

So I thought I'd use this thread instead to update progress in the hopes this becomes valuable to others wanting to get into the sport. Will eventually update the OP as well.

Did my first "brick" this Friday with a 3 mile run, followed by a 1/2 mile swim. Things went OK but got Swimmer's Ear over the weekend. \:\(

Going to try these out and see how things go:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EN0T630/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3A8PCJZXU0KW8
89 Camaro - Sold

#7716283 - 06/02/14 02:12 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
yea I hear those work. It's totally a personal/individual thing tho. Been swimming all my life and I've never had a prob, no ear drops/nada. Don't even have surfers ear [knocks on wood]

the organizers of the last tri I went to recommended those. If you need them you know.

also no idea on necessary brick frequency but I think one a week is plenty? /noclue

I was just doing bike/run, although once in a while after a surf I'll do a 'swim'/run.

I think the swim/bike transition experience is less of a big deal. 1-2 minutes in you should be good [unless you froze/went pre-hypothermic or something]. the bike/run ones suck.

#7716292 - 06/02/14 02:17 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

A friend recommended spending a couple days a week doing a bike/run brick when time permits. I may try tonight at the gym to see how things go.

As I mentioned in the cardio thread I'm nursing a mild case of ITBS. I've heard excessive biking can aggravate this condition.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7716694 - 06/02/14 06:59 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

I have my next sprint tri on 6/28. Just sharing ;\)
Hoping to be slightly better than mid-pack in my age group although 50th percentile would be ok too. Hopefully not quite as many people sail by me on the run as last time. That was embarassing \:\(

Supposedly the pleasanton one is a little more competitive than the last one I did.

*I now have aerobars. Comeatmebro.jpg
*the zipp wheels I was looking at purchasing fell through [101s, alloy] \:\(
**there goes another 0.3 mph

#7738837 - 06/18/14 11:41 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

At the gym I have been focusing on bike/run bricks. But my challenge is setting the resistance on the bike to a level that would be consistent outdoors.

Costco has Diamond Back aluminum road bikes for around $170. Seriously considering picking one up for multi-purpose stuff. And if I hate it I think I would have 30-60 days to return. We'll see...
89 Camaro - Sold

#7738879 - 06/18/14 11:56 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Huh worst case throw it on CL

I'm like $2k deep on my bike already and still slow lol

$900 ~11 vintage CAAD 10 roadbike w/105 stuff
$700 zipp 404 carbon clinchers (09 )
$45 aerobars
Tires/tubes/other bullshit/tuneup

Fortunately I don't feel the need for any more bike parts now. I figure I got off easy lol

Also re:bricks, I'm still not so sure that you need to do them so frequently. Practicing bricks is just to get your body used to the wobbly feeling coming off the bike and into the run. Once a week seems plenty. The run works your run conditioning, the bike your bike, etc. I readily admit I have no idea what I'm doing, but it sounds like your just extending your workouts with a brick, maybe just run longer on the run or bike more on the bike w/o everything being a brick

#7741931 - 06/20/14 11:21 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: stickaz_old]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

I do 1-2 bricks a week. Nothing huge; just trying to condition myself between the bike and run.

I really want to buy a bike on CL. But with 0 riding experience I admit I'm completely lost.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7753169 - 06/28/14 02:32 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

So it looks like I'll be able to ride with a couple guys from work next month. But it's mountain biking.

Also managed to squeeze out a 2 mile morning run, followed by a 4 mile night run + 3/4 mile swim. Didn't feel fatigued; and feeling pretty good today. Might kick up the distance next week.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7772650 - 07/12/14 10:11 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Two firsts this week.

Did a nice bike climb with the guys from work. First time on a bike in over a decade. Kicked my @ss lol.

And thanks to Ironmom I did my first long ocean swim in a tri wetsuit. Definitely much different from the pool.

Question, how do you guys look ahead while swimming? I found myself straining my neck trying to look above water. Any tips?
89 Camaro - Sold

#7772875 - 07/13/14 09:19 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

YMMV I've picked the number 10 as the magic number of strokes I take before taking a peek to stay on course. Around a buoy I go heads up elbows out here (just for 30s or so)
Whatever works for you. I like to know exactly where everybody is around the buoys and also that I take the shortest route possible. This is where the younger people bunch up and clog it up usually

With the little 'peeks' every 10 strokes I'm just sighting a landmark not trying to do anything but verify I'm on course. If you miss a couple attempts in a row no big deal

#7776501 - 07/15/14 09:12 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: stickaz_old]
lessthanmike Offline
Major Member

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Sighting is a little tricky everyone is different...I do the alligator sighting. Lift your head just enough to get your eyes out of the water, any more than that and your lower body will start to drop. I primarily breath to the left so just when my left arm starts to come out of the water I look straight for a second then turn grab a breath and go back to normal. 10-12 strokes do it again.

NOHC--D, Because she knows I couldn't get laid in a women's prison with a handful of pardons.

#7776724 - 07/15/14 11:32 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: lessthanmike]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I do more of a lunge up and forward when I sight. Kind of do a power stroke when I do it get a little extra boost. Like my fellow tattooed triathlete said, it's all personal preference.

#7789186 - 07/24/14 11:50 AM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Tried out some of the suggestions here over the weekend and it went much better. Thanks guys!

On a bit of a downer, I went mtn biking with some friends. Totally ate it on a downhill. Took a good thwack to the sternum. Knees and elbows got scuffed up pretty good. Right kneecap is a little tender.

Triathlon is this weekend. Plan to take it REALLY easy.
89 Camaro - Sold

#7789303 - 07/24/14 12:39 PM Re: Learn Me on Triathlons [Re: Design]
stickaz_old Offline
Post Master Supreme

Which one u doing? And good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads