Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#3524396 - 03/01/09 05:47 PM Some great places to eat in DFW?
EmptyWallet Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 08/11/00
Posts: 17018
Upscale or not, dives or fancy, ANY kind of food.

Make a suggestion here.

I watch "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" on the Food Channel all the time.

What kind of places like that are around the DFW area?

What kind of places do you just love to go to and eat in the DFW area?

Again, can be anything, steakhouse, mexican, upscale....hell I'd love to find a place that serves real Italian gelato if possible. Or some awesome bakery.

I have a buddy that likes Big Mama's Chicken And Waffles (in Garland I think?) and wants me to go over there with him.

Thoughts?
_________________________
"I don't think I've ever seen you get angry?"
[laughs] "Oh, I used to get angry. All the time. Frustrated too."
"You don't get...frustrated anymore?'
[smiles]"...I'm not lost anymore.."
"How..how did you do that?"
"Same way that anything lost,...gets found.....I stopped looking."

Top
#3524422 - 03/01/09 06:01 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: EmptyWallet]
Napalm Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/02/99
Posts: 45256
Loc: Rowlett, TX
If you want diner food, check out The Purple Onion near downtown. Tons of food for cheap and it's all good. I like going on Thurs for the turkey/dressing or on Friday for the chicken & dumplings. I have some friends who rave about Mama & Daughter's or something like that too...but I prefer the Purple Onion.

Maggiano's is pretty good for italian (what do I know about italian food though).

For steaks, I like Bob's Steak & Chophouse.

Cuquita's for Mexican.

Quan Kien Giang in Garland for Vietnamese food.

You're being a little broad.
_________________________
http://photos.napalm.net <--- free service to host pictures with

Top
#3524723 - 03/01/09 07:45 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: Napalm]
Merlin447 Offline
Post Master


Registered: 07/22/03
Posts: 2706
Loc: Denton, TX
J Gilligan's (Arlington) was on one of those shows last month. Good burgers and beer.
_________________________
"It will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me or nobody is going to hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit, it is about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much can you take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! "

Top
#3525024 - 03/01/09 09:26 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: Merlin447]
fuzzyduck Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 09/08/02
Posts: 11469
Loc: Fort Worth, TX
For Sushi, i really love Piranha (Fort Worth, N & S Arlington) and Tampopo off of Greenville. Gazeebo Burger makes a mean turkey burger (Plano and Dallas). TABC, Thomas Avenue Beverage Company, (uptown) makes an awesome grilled cheese.

Those are just a few i can think of off the top of my head.
_________________________
-Martina

Top
#3525208 - 03/01/09 10:33 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: Napalm]
onebrokemr2 Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 08/23/01
Posts: 5323
Loc: HEB, TX
the burger shacks are not what they used to be \:\(
Top
#3525457 - 03/02/09 12:06 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: onebrokemr2]
Napalm Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/02/99
Posts: 45256
Loc: Rowlett, TX
If you want a good burger, head north to Southlake and hit up Kincaid's.
_________________________
http://photos.napalm.net <--- free service to host pictures with

Top
#3525857 - 03/02/09 08:40 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: Napalm]
EmptyWallet Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 08/11/00
Posts: 17018
 Quote:
You're being a little broad.


That's the point!!! \:D Thanks for all the suggestions!!!
_________________________
"I don't think I've ever seen you get angry?"
[laughs] "Oh, I used to get angry. All the time. Frustrated too."
"You don't get...frustrated anymore?'
[smiles]"...I'm not lost anymore.."
"How..how did you do that?"
"Same way that anything lost,...gets found.....I stopped looking."

Top
#3526005 - 03/02/09 09:45 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: EmptyWallet]
Napalm Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/02/99
Posts: 45256
Loc: Rowlett, TX
Tei Tei's is great for sushi, but I've only been a few times.

Nobu is the best sushi I've ever had...but man, you pay for it.
_________________________
http://photos.napalm.net <--- free service to host pictures with

Top
#3526760 - 03/02/09 12:59 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ]
EmptyWallet Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 08/11/00
Posts: 17018
 Originally Posted By: PatB18C
I would suggest showing up at Thanh's house and begging for change/food.



LOL.

Pat...places in the Austin area you can suggest for anything special?
_________________________
"I don't think I've ever seen you get angry?"
[laughs] "Oh, I used to get angry. All the time. Frustrated too."
"You don't get...frustrated anymore?'
[smiles]"...I'm not lost anymore.."
"How..how did you do that?"
"Same way that anything lost,...gets found.....I stopped looking."

Top
#3526782 - 03/02/09 01:03 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: Napalm]
EmptyWallet Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 08/11/00
Posts: 17018
 Quote:
Nobu is the best sushi I've ever had...but man, you pay for it.



The prices in Tyler are highway robbery. Describe "paying" for it. How high is it vs. what you get?

Low value?
_________________________
"I don't think I've ever seen you get angry?"
[laughs] "Oh, I used to get angry. All the time. Frustrated too."
"You don't get...frustrated anymore?'
[smiles]"...I'm not lost anymore.."
"How..how did you do that?"
"Same way that anything lost,...gets found.....I stopped looking."

Top
#3527007 - 03/02/09 01:53 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: EmptyWallet]
Napalm Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/02/99
Posts: 45256
Loc: Rowlett, TX
If I remember right, the chef's special was $125/person. Add a bottle of wine/other drinks and tip and it was right at $400 for two.

It was one of the best meals I've ever had. It really was that good. Of course, the drinks helped.
_________________________
http://photos.napalm.net <--- free service to host pictures with

Top
#3530357 - 03/03/09 12:37 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: EmptyWallet]
ShinerBockSi Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 11/21/00
Posts: 3750
Loc: Austin, TX
Campisi's Egyptian Room is pretty good for some pizza.
_________________________
-Sb

Top
#3532930 - 03/04/09 12:31 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ShinerBockSi]
fuzzyduck Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 09/08/02
Posts: 11469
Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Whenever i'm in Austin, i've gotta stop at The Original Brookyn Pie Co. The greek salad, is killer!! And the pizza is awesome too!
_________________________
-Martina

Top
#3533377 - 03/04/09 08:22 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ]
slowpoke Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/23/99
Posts: 27266
Loc: Tx
Babes (Carrolton or Roanoke)- They are famous for their fried chicken (though i prefer the chicken fried steak, its the best i've ever had)

Joe T Garcia's (Fort Worth)- The food is so/so but the patio is awesome and the margaritas will fuck you up. The guacamole is some of the best i have ever had. Bring a designated driver.

Pappadeaux(seafood) and Pappasitos(mexican) (Dallas) are good.

Snuffers - great cheese fries and bar style food
Jakes - realllllly good hamburgers!

If your ever in denton check out "el guapos" its kind of a dive but they have really good mexican food and its cheap! (thanks josh).


Edited by slowpoke (03/04/09 08:22 AM)

Top
#3533939 - 03/04/09 11:08 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: slowpoke]
Napalm Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/02/99
Posts: 45256
Loc: Rowlett, TX
The Greenville Pub House has great burgers/sandwiches for a bar. Plus, $1 beers and $0.75 wells on Fridays between 6-8pm. It's a nice place to pregame and catch a quick dinner before going anywhere else.

The Loon in Uptown has the best fries when it comes to bars though. They also have the best pours. Decent parking as well, which is a rarity in the area.

If you want a nice patio, check out Dakota's Steakhouse in downtown Dallas.
_________________________
http://photos.napalm.net <--- free service to host pictures with

Top
#3534131 - 03/04/09 12:16 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: slowpoke]
EmptyWallet Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 08/11/00
Posts: 17018
 Quote:
Joe T Garcia's (Fort Worth)- The food is so/so but the patio is awesome and the margaritas will fuck you up. The guacamole is some of the best i have ever had. Bring a designated driver.



The woman and I went here about two weekends ago...scratch that. TRIED to go here. It was SLAMMED with people.

All great suggestions people!! Thank you!!
_________________________
"I don't think I've ever seen you get angry?"
[laughs] "Oh, I used to get angry. All the time. Frustrated too."
"You don't get...frustrated anymore?'
[smiles]"...I'm not lost anymore.."
"How..how did you do that?"
"Same way that anything lost,...gets found.....I stopped looking."

Top
#3534211 - 03/04/09 12:47 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: EmptyWallet]
fuzzyduck Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 09/08/02
Posts: 11469
Loc: Fort Worth, TX
How did i forget about Fuzzy's?? (Denton, Arlington, Ft Worth) The White Queso is excellent!! So are the burritos.

Last time i went to Joe T's.... the food sucked, but i got a buzz off 2 margaritas. Or maybe it was the beer at Rahr. I dunno. I really dont see myself ever going back to Joe Ts. Such a let down.

I will have to agree with slowpoke about Snuffers. That place is right up the street from me off Midway, but i never get to go there. SO good!
_________________________
-Martina

Top
#3534245 - 03/04/09 12:59 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ]
ShinerBockSi Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 11/21/00
Posts: 3750
Loc: Austin, TX
 Originally Posted By: PatB18C
 Originally Posted By: fuzzyduck
Whenever i'm in Austin, i've gotta stop at The Original Brookyn Pie Co. The greek salad, is killer!! And the pizza is awesome too!


*barfs*

Go to Homeslice, then you won't have to bother with the Barflyn Pie Co.

or Frank and Angie's...


Home Slice is really damn good, I just hate driving that far for pizza. They need a north Austin location.
_________________________
-Sb

Top
#3534262 - 03/04/09 01:03 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: fuzzyduck]
slowpoke Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/23/99
Posts: 27266
Loc: Tx
 Originally Posted By: fuzzyduck
How did i forget about Fuzzy's?? (Denton, Arlington, Ft Worth) The White Queso is excellent!! So are the burritos.

Last time i went to Joe T's.... the food sucked, but i got a buzz off 2 margaritas. Or maybe it was the beer at Rahr. I dunno. I really dont see myself ever going back to Joe Ts. Such a let down.

I will have to agree with slowpoke about Snuffers. That place is right up the street from me off Midway, but i never get to go there. SO good!


the food is kind of meh when compared to other places... but the patio is good if you have alot of people and the margaritas get me pretty hammered after only 2 or 3 and that never happens (unless im making them).

Top
#3535363 - 03/04/09 07:08 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ]
ShinerBockSi Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 11/21/00
Posts: 3750
Loc: Austin, TX
I will sometime in May. I'm tired of driving.

oh yeah, Truluck's is pretty good too. This fall they will have their live Alaskan king crab again around October. It's a little pricey as well but worth every penny.


Edited by ShinerBockSi (03/04/09 07:11 PM)
_________________________
-Sb

Top
#3535570 - 03/04/09 08:14 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ShinerBockSi]
Napalm Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/02/99
Posts: 45256
Loc: Rowlett, TX
I concur about Truluck's.
_________________________
http://photos.napalm.net <--- free service to host pictures with

Top
#3536161 - 03/05/09 12:25 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: slowpoke]
fuzzyduck Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 09/08/02
Posts: 11469
Loc: Fort Worth, TX
 Originally Posted By: slowpoke
the food is kind of meh when compared to other places... but the patio is good if you have alot of people and the margaritas get me pretty hammered after only 2 or 3 and that never happens (unless im making them).

Overserving yourself eh?? Lofl
_________________________
-Martina

Top
#3538765 - 03/05/09 08:28 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: EmptyWallet]
onebrokemr2 Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 08/23/01
Posts: 5323
Loc: HEB, TX
brisket tacos at mia's or manny's

hawaiian rib eye at houston's (the seared ahi tuna has been recommended but yet to try)

buffalo filet at yo ranch steakhouse

Top
#3539974 - 03/06/09 10:14 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ]
slowpoke Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/23/99
Posts: 27266
Loc: Tx
If you havent been to freebirds lately, i would recommend the new "carnitas" (at least they are new here in dfw).

Anyways they ROCK

Top
#3540520 - 03/06/09 12:22 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ]
Napalm Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/02/99
Posts: 45256
Loc: Rowlett, TX
 Originally Posted By: PatB18C
 Originally Posted By: Napalm
I concur about Truluck's.


As do I, but I only recognize the downtown location.

Something about going to a nice restaurant up in the 'burbs kills it for me.


Haha, I've never been to their other locations. I tried to go to their Southlake location once for lunch...but it's not open for lunch. bastards!
_________________________
http://photos.napalm.net <--- free service to host pictures with

Top
#3542833 - 03/07/09 01:56 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: Napalm]
onebrokemr2 Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 08/23/01
Posts: 5323
Loc: HEB, TX
the southlake location is much larger than the one off mckinney. better spacing of the tables
Top
#3547248 - 03/09/09 02:16 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ]
DsmEvolution Offline
I saw nvrmd's penis..and i liked it
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 07/25/01
Posts: 19492
Loc: Dallas, TX
 Originally Posted By: PatB18C
 Originally Posted By: fuzzyduck
Whenever i'm in Austin, i've gotta stop at The Original Brookyn Pie Co. The greek salad, is killer!! And the pizza is awesome too!


*barfs*

Go to Homeslice, then you won't have to bother with the Barflyn Pie Co.

or Frank and Angie's...


Give me Mangia Pizza in North Campus.

That's a good pizza!
_________________________

Talk to me... I need you to remedy my misery...

For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were. You'll detect slow and subtle shifts going on all around you, more importantly shifts in you. Worse, you'll realize it's always been shifting, like a shimmer of sorts, a vast shimmer, only dark like a room. But you won't understand why or how.

Top
#3550019 - 03/10/09 11:50 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: EmptyWallet]
Nated_g Offline
Post Master


Registered: 09/06/00
Posts: 2641
Loc: Tyler, Tx USA
"Ham and Egg's" in Lewisville for some kick ass breakfast, might see some Dallas Cowboy's there too.
_________________________
...

Top
#3564122 - 03/15/09 03:48 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: Nated_g]
Panda Express Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 12/27/00
Posts: 44961
Loc: DFW, Texas
I <3 Capital Grill

Mi Cocina if you want Mexican food.

I like this Italian food place in downtown Dallas called Porta di Roma.

Jake's Hamburgers definitely has kickass burgers.

Trulucks and Mortons are very good, but I still <3 Capital Grill over either of them.

As far as Mexican food in Denton, I think El Matador > El Guapo.
_________________________
#TeamLH aka old ladies at IKEA walk up to me and ask "Do you work for Mercedes Benz?" #Hamfosi
My FlickR y0!

Top
#3566387 - 03/16/09 01:23 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: Panda Express]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 06/01/01
Posts: 9134
I liked Bob's Chophouse.

Traildust is pretty good,not nearly as nice or expensive as Bob's.
Abuelo's is good (Mexican).
I really like the Shrimp Embrochette at Uncle Julios in Grapevine.
Good burgurs at Scotty Ps in Frisco.
Carrabas off the Dallas Tollway is good Italian.
Papadeaux is so awesome. Love that place.
For a quick lunch,Jimmy Johns makes good subs.
Wings are popular out here,although Ive only eaten at Buffalo Wild Wings. I liked it. The hottest sauce is crazy.

Top
#3566655 - 03/16/09 08:39 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: progressi]
slowpoke Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 11/23/99
Posts: 27266
Loc: Tx
papadeaux shrimp embrochette > all other places
Top
#3567368 - 03/16/09 12:57 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: ]
ShinerBockSi Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 11/21/00
Posts: 3750
Loc: Austin, TX
 Originally Posted By: PatB18C


*barfs*

Go to Homeslice, then you won't have to bother with the Barflyn Pie Co.

or Frank and Angie's...


We went to Homeslice last night and local girls were giving Seth Rogen shit. I thought it was quite amusing.
_________________________
-Sb

Top
#3568652 - 03/16/09 08:18 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: slowpoke]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 06/01/01
Posts: 9134
 Originally Posted By: slowpoke
papadeaux shrimp embrochette > all other places
That place is so good I love things I normally dont. Embrochette is the next thing Im trying!

Top
#3590264 - 03/24/09 11:31 AM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: progressi]
EmptyWallet Offline
Post Master Supreme


Registered: 08/11/00
Posts: 17018
Saw last night on Diners, Drive-in's, and Dives

"He was in town last week and visited Twisted Root Burger Company, Avila's, and Louie's."

That pizza he ate at Louie's looked AMAZING.
_________________________
"I don't think I've ever seen you get angry?"
[laughs] "Oh, I used to get angry. All the time. Frustrated too."
"You don't get...frustrated anymore?'
[smiles]"...I'm not lost anymore.."
"How..how did you do that?"
"Same way that anything lost,...gets found.....I stopped looking."

Top
#3592091 - 03/24/09 11:03 PM Re: Some great places to eat in DFW? [Re: EmptyWallet]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr


Registered: 06/01/01
Posts: 9134
Ive heard Twisted Root is really good,although I havent tried it yet.
Top
Page 1 of 2 12>


Moderator:  The Mad Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors
Civic Type-R 2-Piece Rotors — $814 Front Pair! Made in England!
View EBC Rotors
ClubSi.com Shirts
StopTech NZ
StopTech New Zealand
StopTech Australia
StopTech Australia
Brake Specials
Contact BuyBrakes
Brake Pad Coupon
Use Code: hondafetish
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads