Page 4 of 10 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
#8576132 - 03/03/16 12:31 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: Big Tasty]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
is that self leveling compound under a nail down hardwood floor installation? If so WTF is going on lol

BTW nice work, moving much faster than us. Been taking forever with a little one, but I'm doing all the work myself (doer of all trades, master of none) \:\)

Edited by loudsubz (03/03/16 12:31 PM)

#8576163 - 03/03/16 12:43 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: zc911]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: zc911
When the cabinets where delivered they brought them right inside \:D I am not ripping out the floor, and it was tiled up to, but not under the original counters \:\( So that added to the fun.
The top ones went much faster for me than the bottoms

Ahh Cambria, sorry you said that and I missed it. Cool

Ikea Cabinets are your friend, flat pack is the bestest \:\)

Cambria has a nice shop, they are one our customers, very professional and they do a very nice job on the cuts.

#8576623 - 03/03/16 04:21 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: loudsubz]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
 Originally Posted By: loudsubz
is that self leveling compound under a nail down hardwood floor installation? If so WTF is going on lol

BTW nice work, moving much faster than us. Been taking forever with a little one, but I'm doing all the work myself (doer of all trades, master of none) \:\)

15gauge 2in staples go through leveling compound just fine, although it shouldn't be more then 1/4in or they'll deflect. That's why I laid 1/8in MDF over the subfloor in the super low spots before I put down the leveling compound. I haven't had any come back up through the floor, so I think it's working \:\)

Cambria showed up this morning, took the countertop template. I'm glad I got to pick where I wanted the seam (Which is going right in the middle of the sink cutout). Pretty cool setup, they didn't take long, all done with this pivoting laser camera. Should have the countertops in about 10 business days.

Once the countertops are in then the uppers will be installed (I've got two big glass uppers that are actually on the countertop. Going to borrow my buddies AirSled to get the stove and fridge in place in the next day or two. Finish up the flooring, then start on the crown/trim.

#8576771 - 03/03/16 06:13 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

15gauge 2in staples go through leveling compound just fine, although it shouldn't be more then 1/4in or they'll deflect. That's why I laid 1/8in MDF over the subfloor in the super low spots before I put down the leveling compound. I haven't had any come back up through the floor, so I think it's working \:\)

Cambria showed up this morning, took the countertop template. I'm glad I got to pick where I wanted the seam (Which is going right in the middle of the sink cutout). Pretty cool setup, they didn't take long, all done with this pivoting laser camera. Should have the countertops in about 10 business days.

Once the countertops are in then the uppers will be installed (I've got two big glass uppers that are actually on the countertop. Going to borrow my buddies AirSled to get the stove and fridge in place in the next day or two. Finish up the flooring, then start on the crown/trim.

not about going through the leveling compound, I have no doubt they can penetrate. The issue lies when the compound breaks, and now you have loose chunks of compound under the floor so when you walk over it you will hear crunching sounds.

#8576829 - 03/03/16 07:12 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: loudsubz]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

It's not going to break, it's designed to be used under wood floors for this exact reason. It stays flexible.

http://polyflor.com.au/product/servoplan-s-444/

If I was using straight concrete I might be worried.

#8577369 - 03/04/16 09:36 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

I'm not trying to be an ass I'm just passionate about doing my research on products and techniques for any job I am working on around the house. The problem even with the kiesel s444 is that it's for glue down installation only not nail down. Either way let's hope you don't have any issues with cracking. Can't wait to see the final result.
#8577422 - 03/04/16 10:01 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: loudsubz]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Both my contractor buddy and my friend who does hardwood have used it before in a nail down install without issue. I think the problem arises when you've got way too thick of a slab. They're the pros I'm not, so I listen to what they say

#8592447 - 03/18/16 01:01 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Cambria is here, counters are going in! w00t! Then I'll get to play plumber all weekend

#8592725 - 03/18/16 02:49 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Every time I look at your pics I still can't believe you lived through all this. Lol.

#8592767 - 03/18/16 03:15 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: SW20_MR2]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Dude, you're telling me, lol. Although it really hasn't been that bad. Worst part is using the laundry tub as the kitchen sink for the past 2 weeks.

#8592791 - 03/18/16 03:29 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
looking good

#8592965 - 03/18/16 05:46 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: Big Tasty]
ehko Offline
Quit being gay...
Post Master Sr

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
Woah! Well done sir!
#8592967 - 03/18/16 05:51 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Cambria is here, counters are going in! w00t! Then I'll get to play plumber all weekend

1/4" per foot, long sweep 90 on Vertical to horizontal transitions, proper traps and you should be fine

#8592987 - 03/18/16 06:12 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: loudsubz]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just finished with tying in the Pex to the old copper downstairs and running it back up under the sink. Going to run the drain through the ceiling to the exterior wall then horizontally into the original drain/vent. Not a very big run so it should be fairly simple. Can't wait to get some lighting done, place is way too dark.

#8593050 - 03/18/16 07:09 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
hey bill question for you. when you run pex from a old copper line can you just cut the copper line and then use one of those shark bite push fittings and call it a day? or would those leak over time? it almost seems too easy.

Edited by titty sprinkles (03/18/16 07:10 PM)

#8593051 - 03/18/16 07:09 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just finished with tying in the Pex to the old copper downstairs and running it back up under the sink. Going to run the drain through the ceiling to the exterior wall then horizontally into the original drain/vent. Not a very big run so it should be fairly simple. Can't wait to get some lighting done, place is way too dark.

famous last words then you end up with

#8593071 - 03/18/16 07:23 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: loudsubz]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

famous last words then you end up with

LOL!! Yeah, I'm trying to stick with a single P trap. We'll see what happens.

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles
hey bill question for you. when you run pex from a old copper line can you just cut the copper line and then use one of those shark bite push fittings and call it a day? or would those leak over time? it almost seems too easy.

Jay, I wouldn't use a Sharkbite up inside the ceiling (Or anywhere you can't get to it).. Great for something quick and dirty but I wouldn't bury it.. I'm just using 90 degree sweat fittings like below, then Pex the rest of the way.

#8593091 - 03/18/16 07:42 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

^oh i see, so you just solder that on and then use that stupid annoying ass pex clamp on it?

#8593096 - 03/18/16 07:44 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: titty sprinkles]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Don't do that. They work until they don't and then you will regret why you were born.

Good job bill, good luck with that short run doe, everything always goes as expected ;\) looking good tho

#8593097 - 03/18/16 07:44 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: titty sprinkles]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

^oh i see, so you just solder that on and then use that stupid annoying ass pex clamp on it?

Yes, pex is better than copper anyway. Do it right.

#8593107 - 03/18/16 07:56 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: Risky Business]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

ok will do. i have to practice soldering copper pipe.

#8593115 - 03/18/16 08:02 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: titty sprinkles]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I've got all the shit when you're ready to do it. Don't buy all that stuff for like half a dozen fittings, lol.

#8593139 - 03/18/16 08:21 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

oh wicked thanks Bill!

#8593424 - 03/19/16 07:26 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Risky Business

Don't do that. They work until they don't and then you will regret why you were born.

Good job bill, good luck with that short run doe, everything always goes as expected ;\) looking good tho

I agree. They make it look so easy but don't tell you that they most likely will fail one day lol. I've seen people using them for all their fittings. Mind you they weren't too handy to begin with.

#8593426 - 03/19/16 07:29 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: loudsubz]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I can't imagine burying those things then having to go back and actually do it the right way after they've pissed unknown amounts of water into your walls/ceilings, lol.

#8593427 - 03/19/16 07:30 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

That's where we disagree. I used to think pex was great until we had friends who had a flood when a fitting broke. Also a quick search online shows many the same and also how delicate pex fittings can be under certain water qualities.

There's also an unsettling feeling when California has banned pex in homes.

Copper is proven time and time again. Sure it's more expensive and takes much longer to install and you definitely need some skill to solder but it's something I rather do and sleep better at night.

#8593429 - 03/19/16 07:32 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: titty sprinkles]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Use mapp gas and oatley tinned flux for a better connection to older copper plumbing where it is more tarnished and may not get as clean when you scratch up the fittings for assembly

#8593438 - 03/19/16 07:56 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

That's where we disagree. I used to think pex was great until we had friends who had a flood when a fitting broke. Also a quick search online shows many the same and also how delicate pex fittings can be under certain water qualities.

There's also an unsettling feeling when California has banned pex in homes.

Copper is proven time and time again. Sure it's more expensive and takes much longer to install and you definitely need some skill to solder but it's something I rather do and sleep better at night.

Pex can be a disaster but it all comes down to the quality of fitting and tools used. It's very easy not to clamp a fitting right and for it to fail over time.

When I said "better" I meant overall, I agree copper is nicer and a better plumbing material for longevity, but I am factoring in health risks.

From my understanding copper leads to health issues as it releases some harmful elements over time, which is why some places don't even allow it for new builds and only pex can be used.

Also didn't know about CA banning it.

#8593453 - 03/19/16 09:01 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

I agree I would like to have 100 percent confidence in pex but I think for now I will wait a little longer till it's proven a bit more, as I love the advantages it has over copper and from the times I have used it at the cottage it made everything so much easier to deal with
#8593565 - 03/19/16 12:26 PM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: loudsubz]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
Nice progress.

That's way beyond what I can ever do. Can't wait to see the final product.

'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#8595170 - 03/21/16 08:53 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: hyper-s2k]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I was up early on Sunday and got a shitload done. We finally have a working kitchen now and I can stop doing dishes in the laundry tub

Cut some old copper out, sweated on two 90degree Pex connectors then ran all that through joists and up underneath the sink. Got the drains installed and run back under the floor to the exterior wall and tied into the existing drain/vent. Got the faucet installed (Which was a fucking bastard, hardly any room in between the sink basin and the cabinet. Got the ice maker in the fridge and the dishwasher all tied in under the sink as well (Yay for Pex Quick connects). Ran power for the dishwasher and popped that up through the floor as well. Amazing enough, zero leaks (Mad soldering skills yo!). My only issue was with the connection to the icemaker (Just needed to be tightened)..

Used the dishwasher for the first time in weeks, what a relief that was \:\)

New faucet

All the flooring was finished up on the main level lastnight as well. My buddy came over and we worked till probably 10? lol.

Upper cabinets should go in this week along with all the pot lights and pendant lights that are roughed in over the island.

#8595174 - 03/21/16 08:57 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: LNXGUY]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
awesome!

that cat looks...interesting lol

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8595180 - 03/21/16 09:03 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Dat a grohe faucet?
#8595191 - 03/21/16 09:27 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nah, got it from a place the kitchen designer recommended (http://www.stylishkb.com) Faucets aren't cheap

#8595195 - 03/21/16 09:29 AM Re: Another reno thread. [Re: Risky Business]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Looking good.
Page 4 of 10 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads