#590049 - 10/22/06 01:30 AM
BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
|
MikeYOX
Post Master Sr
Registered: 07/03/00
Posts: 7607
Loc: West Boemfugk, Egypt
|
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#590054 - 10/22/06 12:57 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
|
stickaz_old
Post Master Supreme
Registered: 02/04/01
Posts: 56459
Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
|
*makes mental note regarding 335 engine oil temps*
_________________________
Swim->Bike->Cry "I can see that nurses head bobbing around going "I AINT CANCELIN MUH PLANS, FUCK A CDC. WHO DEY ANYWAY NAH MEEN? IMA GO SEE MUH BOO" -johnso
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#590059 - 10/22/06 05:08 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
|
Scargoes
Post Master Sr
Registered: 07/17/04
Posts: 5916
Loc: High Dessert
|
Quote:
FWIW (because its all I really know) many Evo guys are seeing 210 oil temps on hot days when lapping their cars. Coolant gets slightly above normal and rests at about 200 degrees (tstat is 180 on the evo).
During the summer months here, Evo/STI/turbo powered cars seem to have to pull off the track after 5-7 laps to cool off unless there have been some cooling mods done.
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#590061 - 10/22/06 06:29 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
|
aerosaaber
Post Master Supreme
Registered: 06/29/02
Posts: 16004
Loc: Pittsfield, MA
|
Quote:
This is their first turbo engine in quite some time. Could just be some teething issues that will be quickly and easily resolved.
I would think they're testing would have revealed this issue though, I'm sure the mules saw extensive time at "the ring"
should never have been an issue.
_________________________
2006 Subaru WRX Wagon (I'm back on boost!) 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon Limited (sold) 1994 Saab 9000 Aero (gone) http://www.saabrally.com
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#590063 - 10/22/06 06:52 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
|
Scargoes
Post Master Sr
Registered: 07/17/04
Posts: 5916
Loc: High Dessert
|
Quote:
Quote:
This is their first turbo engine in quite some time. Could just be some teething issues that will be quickly and easily resolved.
I would think they're testing would have revealed this issue though, I'm sure the mules saw extensive time at "the ring"
And the extensive testing they did in the AZ/CA Desserts should have made it clear too.
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#590064 - 10/22/06 07:45 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
|
MikeYOX
Post Master Sr
Registered: 07/03/00
Posts: 7607
Loc: West Boemfugk, Egypt
|
Maybe they forgot to drive them hard?
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#590065 - 10/22/06 07:49 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
|
Scargoes
Post Master Sr
Registered: 07/17/04
Posts: 5916
Loc: High Dessert
|
Quote:
Maybe they forgot to drive them hard?
Could be with those 3 hr lunch breaks they take at the local Carls Jr.
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#590066 - 10/22/06 07:51 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
|
MikeYOX
Post Master Sr
Registered: 07/03/00
Posts: 7607
Loc: West Boemfugk, Egypt
|
They're waiting for Paris to show up.
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#1280478 - 04/20/07 02:43 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
[Re: MikeYOX]
|
07 335i Step
Newbie
Registered: 04/20/07
Posts: 1
|
Many of the early 335i's were missing factory oil coolers, located in the right wheel well. If you go through BMA customer service directly, they will order and install. Mine was missing, I had an October 06’ Build date.
See article at http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=883439&posted=1
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#1280533 - 04/20/07 02:53 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
[Re: MikeYOX]
|
allan r
Post Master Supreme
Registered: 04/20/01
Posts: 15724
Loc: the land of cheese
|
I mean, I've seen some road racers complain bitterly that their oil temps hit above 250. Now it's got me wonder what the average oil temps are in a 997 being driven hard. But then again, a Porsche turbo oil cooler is more of a radiator than a cooler B'GASS LOL.
Either way, I hope the issues have been resolved. This is definitely one of the coolest cars BMW has made in a long time.
i'm not sure what the average 997 temps are, but porsche is more aware (and almost encouraging) of their owners trackig the cars so you can guess that they've taken enough measures to keep the oil cool. plus, your car has probably double the oil capasity of most every other car anyway; takes alot more heat to heat alot more oil up
_________________________
tuna on white no crust
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#1280568 - 04/20/07 03:01 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
[Re: 07 335i Step]
|
LuckyRVA
Post Master Supreme
Registered: 08/30/02
Posts: 15210
Loc: Queens, NY
|
they were just...missing?
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#1282089 - 04/21/07 08:47 AM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
[Re: NOT spotch...]
|
si=yes
Newbie
Registered: 02/22/07
Posts: 51
Loc: Los Angeles
|
Since I will be getting a 335i in July I have been following this issue very closely. There was a batch of early US bound automatic equipped 335i's that were built without oil coolers. When run hard the oil temperatures could go to or above 300f. However, all manual transmission equipped cars had the oil coolers. Those cars had no issue.
I was recently at a track day where one of the instructors was driving a 335i stick. He pounded the snot out of his car and never saw oil temps over 240. This guy even had an add-on module that raised boost about 2psi so he was making about 340hp. When asked he told me that he has never had an oil temperature issue.
IMHO I think reports of this problem were greatly exaggerated because of the internet. In all I have counted about 15 cases of owners reporting high oil temperatures. From a purely statistical standpoint 15 out of thousands of cars sold is not a huge issue (although I would be really pissed if I was one of those 15).
And FWIW it was not all e46's with engine issues...it was the first year of the e46 M3.
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#1285578 - 04/22/07 11:27 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
[Re: NOT spotch...]
|
stickaz_old
Post Master Supreme
Registered: 02/04/01
Posts: 56459
Loc: Nor Cal, Hella hurr durr
|
The E46 M3 bearing issue was a supplier related parts defect, which can happen to any manufacturer anytime. They recalled the motor and extended the engine warranty to 100k miles (from 48k), shit I almost wish that would happen to any car I buy, lol. Extend my warranty x2 for the trouble of beating on one of your rentals for a day or two.
_________________________
Swim->Bike->Cry "I can see that nurses head bobbing around going "I AINT CANCELIN MUH PLANS, FUCK A CDC. WHO DEY ANYWAY NAH MEEN? IMA GO SEE MUH BOO" -johnso
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
#1296196 - 04/25/07 02:21 PM
Re: BMW 335i Turbo Overheating?
[Re: Impulsive]
|
Adam G
Post Master Supreme
Registered: 06/07/00
Posts: 59416
Loc: Arrr-Kansas
|
|
|
Top
|
|
|
|
Moderator: auxilary, The Mad Paki
|
Civic Type-R 2-Piece Rotors — $814 Front Pair! Made in England!
View EBC Rotors
ClubSi.com Shirts
|
|
|