Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8818228 - 10/13/16 07:33 PM I hope I like this lens
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Dept. of Ruminant Procurement
I should preface this post by saying that I don't like selling things online, there are to many scammers out there.

I'm willing to take a financial hit for the ease of doing this. I just sent off my Sony A mount 16-105mm f/3.5-5.6 and my Sony 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6 to Amazon Trade in. Both lenses are in excellent quality with the boxes, all accessories and paperwork. I took good pictures of them and the accessories before shipping them off.

I could have used KEH or the local camera store in Austin. But Amazon was higher than KEH by around 90 dollars for the two lenses. Precision Camera Austin, I'd be lucky to get 150 total for both lenses. The Sony A-mount stuff isn't exactly very sought after right now.

If the deal with Amazon works, I will get 300 dollars in Amazon credit for both lenses together.

I am going to replace the above two lenses with the Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary...

https://www.sigmaphoto.com/18-300mm-f35-63-dc-macro-os-hsm-c

It is out of stock right now at Amazon, but it will be a short bit before I will buy it anyway. I was worried that Sigma had discontinued it, I inquired with Sigma who said it is still in production for Sony A-mount.

Beside the fact that I will be swapping lenses less. I really like that the Sigma is a Macro lens and can also be micro focus adjusted using the Sigma USB Dock. The Sony A77ii has a very simplified version of in camera focus adjustment. The Sigma dock version is much more accurate across the zoom range. And I already own the dock that I use for my Sigma 18-35 F1.8.

This should be a good upgrade. I lose some speed in the telephoto end, but that should not be an issue for 90 percent of my use which is during the day. I am only a hobbyist but still will have my Samyang 8mm F3.5, Sigma 18-35 F1.8, Sony 50 F1.4 and a Samyang 85 F1.4 for more serious stuff.

Anyway, should be a fun lens for day trips and stuff like that.

Something I did find out about the Amazon trade in thing, there is a checkbox one must check off when trading something in. It basically asks if you want the item returned to you for free if they find it is in less than the condition you indicated or if they should just give you what they think it is worth. Reading around, looks like if you check off for them to give you whatever they think it is worth, they tend to say it is damaged in some way to get away with giving less money for it. It was a thread at DPReview that explained that, but it is a two year old thread. I sold another lens to Amazon Trade in last year and it went perfectly fine.

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#8825460 - 10/20/16 08:09 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: ewraven]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh well. Just a quick update. Amazon received my two lenses.

They refused to purchase them. This is what it says on the Amazon site..

Quote:

Sony 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6 DT A-Mount Zoom Lens for Sony Alpha Digital SLR Cameras - heavy wear/light dust
Sony SAL16105 16-105mm f/3.5-5.6 Wide-Range Zoom Lens - heavy wear

I'm not really too surprised to be honest. I had read a DPREVIEW.com thread about this process. Even though both lenses are in like new condition with all packaging, caps and instructions, they try to undercut the seller for a larger profit. I just hope they haven't screwed up my lenses some how. I did take pictures of them before I shipped them.

I had decided on the Tamron 16-300 instead of the Sigma 18-300. The Tamron has a wider focal length and it is weather sealed unlike the Sigma. I also like the pictures from it that I saw on Flickr.

My two lenses have already shipped and should be here next week. I am nervous.

#8825795 - 10/21/16 08:47 AM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: ewraven]
trench301 Offline
Post Master

Hopefully you wrote down serial numbers. The other scam I could see them pulling would be to keep your newer lenses and send you back someone elses jacked up lenses.
#8825915 - 10/21/16 10:33 AM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: trench301]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yep, I took pictures of the serial numbers.
#8826817 - 10/22/16 03:26 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: ewraven]
jdm003 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Californi...
Sell them to keh
#8826884 - 10/22/16 05:30 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: jdm003]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: jdm003
Sell them to keh

I was going to. But I wouldn't have gotten as much. I would have gotten 300 dollars for both lenses through Amazon. But KEH only would have given me 220 dollars.

I would have been lucky to get 200 dollars at my local camera store in Austin.

I pretty much have decided just to keep the above two lenses and postpone my purchase of the Tamron till next year sometime.

#8827008 - 10/22/16 09:26 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: ewraven]
skierd Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Fairbanks, AK
I've sold dozens of items on eBay over the years, why so afraid?

#8827340 - 10/23/16 03:22 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: skierd]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Really just two reasons, I don't want to link my account to Paypal and I am not very trusting.

I really should just do it though. I have all kinds of stuff sitting around that I could sell.

I tend to overthink things. If I am that worried about it, I could just open a separate checking or savings account just for the Paypal stuff.

#8828142 - 10/24/16 01:36 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: skierd]
tenplanescrashing
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: skierd

1. eBay is a garbage company
2. eBay sides with the buyer and screws over most sellers because of this
3. eBay is a garbage company
4. See 1 & 3, then see 2

#8828146 - 10/24/16 01:43 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: ]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just got my lenses back from Amazon.

From all outward appearances, they are the same as when I sent them off. They were packaged correctly back up in the Sony boxes the same way I had put them in. I don't see any new scratches or anything either.

Originally Posted By: tenplanescrashing
 Originally Posted By: skierd

1. eBay is a garbage company
2. eBay sides with the buyer and screws over most sellers because of this
3. eBay is a garbage company
4. See 1 & 3, then see 2

Those are other reasons I won't sell on Ebay.

#8999144 - 04/10/17 11:26 AM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: ewraven]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

I finally made a purchase!!!

Someone on another forum mentioned this online store...

http://usedphotopro.com/

They are owned by a camera store called Roberts Camera in Indiana.

I went on that site, and ordered a used Tamron AF 28-300mm XR F3.5-6.3 LD AD IF for 72 dollars with free USPS Priority shipping. This is the A06 version which is the older model that came out in 2002.

I just picked it up from the post office. This thing is SPOTLESS, no scratches or dust anywhere and as the website stated when I bought it, there isn't any fungus. Aside from not having the caps or the lens hood, it is in brand new condition. I ordered a ten dollar lens hood and it will be here Wednesday.

I know it is a full frame lens and not as wide as the 16-300 I was looking at. But for a savings of like 500 dollars, I can live with that! It will still be an excellent all around lens, even on my APS-C Sony.

I have only tried it in my house so far, mostly of my cat from across the room. But from what I can tell, this thing is really sharp. I haven't and don't think I will need to focus adjust it. I have yet to see an purple fringing, even wide open at 300mm.

#9063904 - 06/22/17 01:18 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: ewraven]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Okay, that old Tamron 28-300mm lens I got for 72 dollars really sucked. There was something wrong with it, the lens make and model didn't show up in the EXIF data and it drained the camera battery when the camera was turned off.

Sooo, I finally bit the bullet. The Sigma I had been eyeballing went on sale for Father's day. I ordered it from B&H, it arrived today.

Sigma 18-300 F3.5-6.3 DC Macro in Sony A mount It was $399.99 and came with a free Sigma lens protector and the matching screw on close up lens.

Only thing that will take some getting used to on this Sigma is the zoom turns the opposite direction.

#9063996 - 06/22/17 02:37 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: ewraven]
trench301 Offline
Post Master

Enjoy! Post up some sample images.
#9064126 - 06/22/17 04:51 PM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: trench301]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks. I will. I am going to micro focus adjust it first. That is one major advantage over the Tamron. I already own a Sigma lens dock for my 18-35 f1.8

The built in micro adjust on my A77ii is way over simplified.

#9070563 - 07/01/17 01:26 AM Re: I hope I like this lens [Re: ewraven]
ewraven Offline
Post Master Supreme

I have yet to micro focus adjust it. But I used it anyway at a drive through exotic animal park the other day.

I LOVE this lens. For my use and budget, it was the best purchase ever.

This is my favorite image of the day...

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads