Page 6 of 16 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#9017882 - 05/01/17 02:25 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
 Originally Posted By: zaius
Thanks speed demon. Godspeed to your lawn too. I really don't want to re-seed in another two weeks.

How did you get rid of the old sod?

If you water the piss out of the lawn, let it start to grown in, then re-seed and water the hell out of it again then you'll have a nice lawn. it's all about growing grass to weed out the weeds lol. if that doesn't work, america weed b gone.

#9017885 - 05/01/17 02:26 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: xza8]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: xza8
 Originally Posted By: Wildout
 Originally Posted By: xza8
Grass experts:

Can I lay black plastic ontop of existing lawn, then level with 1" of topsoil, then lay new sod?

I don't want to remove existing lawn because it's a temporary house.

I do want a decent lawn for my son to play in.

If your laying new sod, just rent a tiller from Home Depot to tear everything up. The way you mentioned would work for about a month & then you'd have two sets of dead lawns to deal with once the summer comes.

Fuck it, I'm just going to pay $100 for 25 yards of wood chips on top of the black drop sheet and call it a day for my kid to play on.

lol that's the easiest route, but don't get the red wood chips, i find they all loose their color and end up looking like crap.

#9018381 - 05/02/17 05:38 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: spd-dmn]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: spd-dmn
Still in the process but so far I cut it with rented sod cutter, then try to roll up into pieces and move to a rented bin.
Only did the narrow side, now have to do the bigger part.

Some of the pieces do not roll up well, even after being sliced, so they have to be dug up and/or loosened with a spade.

Bin probably won't be big enough.. will have to probably think of alternative methods.

All the rain isn't helping either.. the sod that already weighs a ton now weighs a metric fuckton more after being soaked.

\:\|

Holy shit that's got to suck even now after all this rain. Damnnnnn bruh

#9024191 - 05/09/17 05:56 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: loudsubz]
355-Si Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
My lawn is so fucking lumpy. Aeration or just get rid of it all and start fresh? lol

#9025368 - 05/10/17 05:13 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: 355-Si]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: 355-Si
My lawn is so fucking lumpy. Aeration or just get rid of it all and start fresh? lol

good luck. mine's also an ankle breaker. i think the only way is to rake it level somehow, or just keep dumping soil on top. your lawn might looks like a pitcher's mound tho from the street.

#9025562 - 05/10/17 10:22 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Loc: Milton, ON
My lawn is definitely the best in the neighbourhood now. I'll try to post pics soon. This year I aerated and dropped starter fertiliser along with Milorganite on Easter weekend. All of this rain has helped make it a lush deep green glory. Not one dandelion has bloomed on my turf yet while the rest of the neighbourhood lawns are a wasteland. Seriously watch and follow The Lawn Care Nut.
#9025674 - 05/11/17 07:12 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I pulled so many fucking dandelions out I swear someone snuck onto my back yard and seeded them on purpose. Combine that with dead leaves from the fall and my backyard looks fucking horrible

#9025698 - 05/11/17 07:43 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: LNXGUY]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Edited by TYJelly (05/11/17 07:43 AM)

#9025718 - 05/11/17 08:15 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Tomorrow is weed duty on the front yard before the rain on the weekend. Weed and these odd ball plants grow but grass?....nope.
#9025721 - 05/11/17 08:20 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I keep telling myself that I'm going to put down some pre-emergent herbicide, but like every year I forget

#9025762 - 05/11/17 09:00 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
civic13 Offline
Post Master

Loc: You Know
 Originally Posted By: TYJelly

Wow, that is nice and lush.

#9025939 - 05/11/17 11:59 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: civic13]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany

Jesus, that's a beautiful lawn.

#9026095 - 05/11/17 01:35 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: c2k]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Thanks! That's less than a year of true TLC. Just was doing it all wrong before.
#9026152 - 05/11/17 02:26 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

look at dat grass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmHaKMMbjKw

#9026358 - 05/11/17 06:20 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Good job man and thanks for posting close up/focused pics. That looks thick/healthy...once you have this figured out 110% please come and teach me.

#9026383 - 05/11/17 06:45 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Seriously, like fuck that looks awesome

Some do's and don't would really be appreciated!

#9026455 - 05/11/17 08:49 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: LNXGUY]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Alright I'll be the forum's Lawn Whisperer. It's actually really simple once you regain control from the weeds. Step 1 - control your weeds! This means getting the good shit from the US. Once you do, use the proper mix in a pump hand sprayer. Add a bit of baby shampoo so the solution sticks to weed leaves instead of beading. Weed leaves are waxy and will repel a lot of the chemical if you don't add a surfactant like baby shampoo.

Now is prime time to attack dandelion.

#9026464 - 05/11/17 09:07 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

*signs up for this class*

preach!

#9026494 - 05/11/17 09:50 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Alright I'll be the forum's Lawn Whisperer. It's actually really simple once you regain control from the weeds. Step 1 - control your weeds! This means getting the good shit from the US. Once you do, use the proper mix in a pump hand sprayer. Add a bit of baby shampoo so the solution sticks to weed leaves instead of beading. Weed leaves are waxy and will repel a lot of the chemical if you don't add a surfactant like baby shampoo.

i knew usa weed killer was involved.

great tip on the baby shampoo tho, i'll do that from now on.

Edited by titty sprinkles (05/11/17 09:51 PM)

#9026524 - 05/11/17 11:24 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

You're giving away all the secrets lol. Baby shampoo also allows the soil to better absorb the nutrients(fertilizer, pre-emergent etc), I do that instead of aerating.

Lawn looks amazing, I bet it feels so nice to walk on.

#9026525 - 05/11/17 11:25 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: titty sprinkles]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles

Has to be clear shampoo, not the milky stuff.

#9026587 - 05/12/17 04:51 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

deer gawd. that lawn. tell us more!

#9026593 - 05/12/17 06:04 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: Wildout]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Wildout
 Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles

Has to be clear shampoo, not the milky stuff.

Regular Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo, not the antibacterial.

#9026595 - 05/12/17 06:09 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

deer gawd. that lawn. tell us more!

There's two US products I consider essential. Ortho Weed B' Gone and Milorganite fertiliser. I fertilised with it Easter and the results speak for themselves.

After that make sure you mow high and sharpen your mower blades. I purposely showed that close-up with the measuring tape because you want a good 3-1/2" - 4" grass blade. Don't let it get too long and use a mulcher. Don't bag clippings unless you let the grass get too long.

#9026641 - 05/12/17 08:38 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Toronto

Finally... I'm doing something right! Decided to go full attack mode this year.. I've been spraying the fuck out of anything that pops up... added some dish soap so it sticks.

I also used the fall fertilizer though... I suck at this.

#9026749 - 05/12/17 10:24 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: markw]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
So in addition to using the right fertilizer it seems as though you want to use a liquid based fertilizer, is that correct? I got that from the instructions to use a pump hand sprayer. The pellet-style are not as effective?
#9026905 - 05/12/17 11:46 AM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Ok, so whos going to the US soon? My dandelions are out of control

#9027175 - 05/12/17 02:53 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
So in addition to using the right fertilizer it seems as though you want to use a liquid based fertilizer, is that correct? I got that from the instructions to use a pump hand sprayer. The pellet-style are not as effective?

No. Granular fertiliser. Milorganite.

Liquid weed control. Ortho weed B gon

Sorry for the confusion.

#9027349 - 05/12/17 04:50 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: LNXGUY]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

https://www.amazon.com/Spectracide-Weed-Lawns-Concentrate-HG-96392/dp/B00OHV5S96

i dumped all this grass seed with triple mix and nothing is sprouting other than broadleaf. wtf

#9027381 - 05/12/17 05:20 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Best time for seeding is in the fall anyway. I can walk you through it if you're interested.
#9027598 - 05/12/17 09:06 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
I top dressed and seeded my lawn a few weeks ago. For some reason, nothing is sprouting in the front. The back is growing just fine though. This is the second year in a row. It sure what the prob is. Last year, I even laid fresh sod in a few spots and they died. Wonder if something is wrong with the soil.

#9027640 - 05/12/17 10:25 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SW20_MR2]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Could be soil, could be other conditions too like sunlight and water. Not getting enough or too much depending on what seed you used. I use a layer of peat moss on top of any seed I throw down in bare spots. It really helps seed to soil contact and prevents birds from eating them and runoff from watering. Always water at least 1/2" every day on new seeds until you see them really taking root. I throw down handfuls of seed too. When you think there's enough throw more down. I've been very successful using those steps. I've been very happy with the coated Scott's sun & shade or full sun (lots of Kentucky Blue in this one).
#9027655 - 05/12/17 11:04 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: TYJelly]
SiRice Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: Markham
Next step start stripping that lawn!

For folks looking for Ortho Killex and don't want to drive to the states: https://lawnproducts.ca/collections/selective-weed-killers/products/killex-1l-concentrate

#9027668 - 05/12/17 11:44 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: zaius]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

https://www.amazon.com/Spectracide-Weed-Lawns-Concentrate-HG-96392/dp/B00OHV5S96

i dumped all this grass seed with triple mix and nothing is sprouting other than broadleaf. wtf

In your case it's because you used the weed killer, but be patient the weather this week has been too cold to grow seed. You'll get there, just wait another 2 weeks.

#9027669 - 05/12/17 11:48 PM Re: now we have car detail, how about a thread for lawn detail? [Re: SW20_MR2]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: SW20_MR2
I top dressed and seeded my lawn a few weeks ago. For some reason, nothing is sprouting in the front. The back is growing just fine though. This is the second year in a row. It sure what the prob is. Last year, I even laid fresh sod in a few spots and they died. Wonder if something is wrong with the soil.

Take a picture so we know what you're working with. What seed did you use? If it's kentucky blue, it takes a month to sprout so you're not going to see any results yet. Was the new sod laid on tilled up soil? Did you press it down with a roller?

Page 6 of 16 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads