Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#4905545 - 07/20/10 01:12 AM engine whine in my s2000
Napalm Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Rowlett, TX
So, I have a 2002 s2000. Lately, I've been getting an engine whine noise out of it between 3000-6000 rpms or so. It will sound fine at idle, but once I give it load (either in gear or neutral), I'll hear a high pitch squeel. This started doing it fairly recently.

I put the car in the shop for a stereo upgrade and to another shop for valve adjustment and to replace one of the o2 sensor.

I did the stereo upgrade first, and I never noticed the whine when I took it to the other shop to do the work. (Granted, I had the system cranked pretty high since it was new and I wanted to check it out.)

Doing some quick online searches, it seems that the tensioner pulley is the culprit. I've shut off the stereo (which should in theory shut off the amp, and not power the speakers) and I still get the whining noise. It definitely sounds like it's coming from the engine.

Any suggestions?

Here it is. I didn't want to rev it too high since it is 1:30am.

Edited by Napalm (07/20/10 01:39 AM)

Videos
#4905599 - 07/20/10 01:40 AM Re: engine whine in my s2000 [Re: Napalm]
Napalm Administrator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Rowlett, TX
Video/sound. I didn't want to rev it too high since it is 1:30am.

#4952491 - 08/09/10 10:17 PM Re: engine whine in my s2000 [Re: Napalm]
DevoStevo Offline
CSI Cars 4 Sale Dealer
Post Master Sr

Loc: usa
Its kind of hard to tell from the video what the noise is. It almost sounds like it could be engine noise or stereo feeback from the video.

If it is coming from your engine bay, you should be able to narrow down where it is coming from with a small piece of hose pipe. Put it next to each of the pullies and the tensioner and see which one has the most noise, or just take it to Honda and for $80 or so, they will tell you what is wrong with it.

#5012505 - 09/04/10 06:19 PM Re: engine whine in my s2000 [Re: DevoStevo]
KenNN Offline
Post Master

Loc: Virginia, USA
I recently fixed an S2k with this issue. While trying to make the sound, hold the base of the shifter firmly with both hands and see if you can alter the pitch of the noise or muffle the noise somewhat.

If that's the issue, you need to pull the shifter out, clean off the old grease, regrease with new high quality grease, and reinstall.

That's a fairly well known issue on the S2k and I struggled with it for about 3 months before finding the fix.

Let me know if that works for you.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  4doorEG, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads