Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10380485 - 01/20/23 02:40 PM 3 years on, y'all good, fam? ...
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
*** disclaimer: this post is to serve as a safe space for free and honest and respectful comments and discussions if you choose to engage. My opinions are my own, from my own experiences, and not meant to reflect or detract from anyone else's experience. Also, this will be a long post. ***

So it's more or less 3 years since C0V1D started. Just curious where everyone's at. Read today that Japan is considering downgrading it to seasonal flu level, meaning further relaxing their policies. Over here on the other side of the globe, there's talk about C0V1D kraken or something, updated boosters, and to be honest, I've just about tuned out.

In my extended family, we've got the whole range. Unvaxxed, all the way to (I think 4 shots) boosted and still hunkering down at home. Some from the vaxxed and unvaxxed groups have gotten it, and everyone's recovered. To those that are afraid to re-enter society, I ponder, what's it going to take before they start living again? because time waits for no one. These spilt views have caused rifts in the family (sad).

In speaking to some people with family in LTC homes, some of these seniors would rather risk their health to hang out with loved-ones than to be segregated into their rooms wasting their final days (sad).

I worked through the whole thing, front line, out there with people, masking, gloves and eye protection when required, meaning I wasn't in a job that allowed for work-from-home or to stay away from people. To date, I don't think I've gotten it. Or maybe I have and I'm one of those lucky ones that were unaffected. I've seen coworkers split over it (sad).

I've talked to people who've gotten it like it was nothing, or others who have been completely floored by it. I don't think I know anyone who's passed away from it, although some people who -have- passed away from other things, I've been told if they tested positive at time of death, they would mark that as a C0V1D death. That sounds ridiculous, however, believable.

I've seen people so steadfast in their condemnation of someone else's position, only now to do an about-face, no retraction or apology offered.

Perhaps the greatest tragedy, and this isn't only related to C0V1D, is that society is more polarized than ever, and we've really latched on to this cancel culture thing. Quite frankly, it's dangerous, when we choose to only surround ourselves with like minded opinions, demonize those who think differently, we really limit our own thinking and growth. And now, all these digital platforms that we really live our lives around, they've been steered either "left" or "right" by the people who run them. Everything is so politicized. You have to walk on egg-shells to say anything because someone will undoubtedly be offended, OR worse, be offended on behalf of someone else.

All of this has led me to distrust most things. I teach my kids to question everything. I teach my kids to think about what people's intentions might be. What the hidden goals might be. Such a paranoid but necessary way to live.

Personally, I try to expose myself to as much of the "other" side's opinions as I can handle, to truly get an understanding, and maybe reposition my own stance if evidence supports that. I'm pretty stubborn in my own thinking, but, at least I believe, I'm open to change my views when the reasons are well founded. Listening to talk radio (left or right slant), much of the time, it's just angry people spouting out the same stuff. I always believed that -most- of us are somewhere in the middle, but the ones at the extreme seem to have the loudest voices.

My own views on the matter have evolved over time. There was a time I'd go grocery shopping and Lysol-wipe everything that came home, washed fresh produce in soapy water. That lasted about two weeks.

When reflecting on how the world has reacted to C0V1D, and then further reflecting on societal attitudes overall, I've distilled it to this: we are soft. When we are afraid to let kids get a little sick, when we are afraid to let someone get a little offended, when we are afraid to suffer a little bit, we are promoting weakness. Not to discount the challenges C0V1D causes the healthcare system, and to that I would say we haven't properly invested into that system in a long time, or to discount that some groups may have suffered systemic discrimination, but I think we forget that people are supposed to get sick sometimes, get offended sometimes, suffer sometimes. It makes us stronger, more resilient. In those challenging times, we expand and grow. I kinda feel this "softness" starts from things like kids sports where everyone gets a medal.

I have always embraced suffering because on the other end you discover a much greater appreciation for things. In the fall, I did a solo hike of the Killarney La Cloche Silhouette trail (80km loop), and just over the past week, I did a 4 day water only fast. Both were tough, and as any father would say, it builds character. When you're in the gym, and you barely get those last few reps in, those are the ones that lead to muscle growth. So too must we struggle in order to grow.

Anyway, just wanted to know that everyone was doing well. I wouldn't judge anyone for however they chose to navigate the last few years. We all bring different challenges and life experiences. Just curious if you've got that same gut feeling about society as I do, that sense of polarization and politicization, that general softness. Have your attitudes evolved over the last 3? Have you lost some friends or family, literally or figuratively? Y'all good?

#10380533 - 01/20/23 03:58 PM Re: 3 years on, y'all good, fam? ... [Re: 4Three]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Good post, will come back to post more.

For me covid became an afterthought shortly after it happened (within a year). I still got the shots because it was not possible to function with children without them if you wanted to participate in activities as a parent.

That being said, covid aside the biggest takeaway for me is that it's impossible to have open dialogue anymore. If you don't do x, then you are y. No nuance, no grey area, just cut and dry. No shot, you are anti vax, and so on.

I'd rather not engage at this point, people have their minds made up and the part that's most disturbing to me is with how much conviction people speak about covid, as if we have perfect data and everything is clear whether vaxed/unvaxed. It is not, but many speak as a matter of fact.

I've had covid twice, both times it was nothing. I did have the flu recently and that laid me out like nothing I've experienced in ages.

The way our government handled parts of covid was disgusting as well, I am not big into politics, but I can tell you that this particular government left me with a lot of resentment and dare I say hate towards them, so there is that.

#10380646 - 01/20/23 10:59 PM Re: 3 years on, y'all good, fam? ... [Re: Risky Business]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

So true about the lack of nuance. And again, not just pandemic stuff. Look at this NHL player. "Oh, he won't wear a rainbow jersey? He must be homophobic. That shouldn't be allowed. Send him back to Russia to fight in war." It's thought police level. "Jordan Peterson is bad. He must be squashed and silenced!" When did we become so insecure as to be afraid of people's thoughts and words? Don't like it, just tune it out. Kanye tweets some stupid things? Just don't read them!

On the vax stuff, the majority of the population are not scientists, are not medically trained, are not virologist. Yet like you pointed out, they speak with such certainty. The only thing I know with certainty is that I don't know shit.

Even among those who took jabs, some were 100% on board, some were hesitant but fearful of getting sick, some needed it to put food on the table, some needed it to get back to life. And from the unvax side, you have hesitant people who want wait, you have those with autoimmune issues who don't want the risk, you have religious people, and you have those who think this is pure poison. It's an entire spectrum of people all the way around but nope, we just call each other sheep or conspiracy theorist.

#10380677 - 01/21/23 06:49 AM Re: 3 years on, y'all good, fam? ... [Re: 4Three]
BroKe Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario
Most people wish things were back to they way they were 3 years ago. I'm not one of them. Glad it had opened the eyes to alot of people as to what is really important in life. I use to go out every night. Drink almost everyday. Now I don't do any of that. Feel better physically and mentally. Also stopped spending money unnecessarily and never eat out. As prices have gone up significantly and wages are stagnant. I feel glad not to support businesses that are price gougeing. Especially when they were all complaining during covid looking for handouts.
#10380877 - 01/22/23 08:50 AM Re: 3 years on, y'all good, fam? ... [Re: BroKe]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

That's a great point too. I think the last couple years has given opportunity for everyone to do at least a little self-reflection, if not a lot. We as a society had settled into this comfort and convenience model. I'm all for efficiency when it makes sense. But when we're using Uber eats to deliver a cup of coffee so we can laze on the couch and scroll tiktoks, we've lost our way.

In terms of businesses, the big ones grew exponentially (like Amazon and Walmart) while the little ones got crushed by lock-downs. Our spending has shifted and funneled into these massive corporations, and that can't be good. I'm glad things like restaurants, gyms and live entertainment have come back. I'm not overly social, but people being isolated in their own homes is not healthy at all.

#10380999 - 01/22/23 03:53 PM Re: 3 years on, y'all good, fam? ... [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Good post, will come back to post more.

For me covid became an afterthought shortly after it happened (within a year). I still got the shots because it was not possible to function with children without them if you wanted to participate in activities as a parent.

That being said, covid aside the biggest takeaway for me is that it's impossible to have open dialogue anymore. If you don't do x, then you are y. No nuance, no grey area, just cut and dry. No shot, you are anti vax, and so on.

I'd rather not engage at this point, people have their minds made up and the part that's most disturbing to me is with how much conviction people speak about covid, as if we have perfect data and everything is clear whether vaxed/unvaxed. It is not, but many speak as a matter of fact.

I've had covid twice, both times it was nothing. I did have the flu recently and that laid me out like nothing I've experienced in ages.

The way our government handled parts of covid was disgusting as well, I am not big into politics, but I can tell you that this particular government left me with a lot of resentment and dare I say hate towards them, so there is that.

+1

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads