Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10086821 - 07/08/21 07:20 PM Road trip Calgary/Edmonton to Vancouver
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
Planning to fly to Alberta in the future and taking a rental car and taking the scenic route to Vancouver and fly back to Toronto.

It was a plan with a buddy of mine last year that never happened.

We were checking out the rental and wow, the price is insane.
5 day rentals, average price next month.

Picking up the car at YYC and dropping off at YVR airport - $3300
Picking up the car at YYC and dropping off at the same location - $400
Picking up the car near YYC and dropping off near YVR airport - $1500

Thought about dropping the car off at near the border in AB and re-renting in BC near the border, but the drive to the closest rental place from AB to BC is 3-4 hours. Can't UBER that distance through the mountain.

Any other idea?

#10086857 - 07/08/21 09:35 PM Re: Road trip Calgary/Edmonton to Vancouver [Re: porschetr]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
uhhh dude you don't wanna do that right now...wildfires raging in BC mate, esp as you cross over from AB! we have new honda/acura cars from factory stuck on rail trying to go and they shut down all trains since 2-3 days ago.

mind you your plan is one i did WAY back with folks and some inlaws actually did last week but stick to AB. they flew to Edmonton stupid cheap using SWOOP (out of Hamilton), then rented their car there and drove to Jasper. They stayed in a fancy hotel tho, not sure which...from there you can do a beautiful drive all thru banff, moraine lake, etc. etc. and so on. Summer is just epic there. Hopefully your rental will be cheaper out of EDM vs Calgary (usually you'd fly into Calgary though).

I assume it's unltd mileage? and yeah pricing for everything these days is fucking whack...thanks to covid/restrictions/etc - many rental agencies sold off tons of inventory, now that ppl are travelling again...there are not enough cars to keep up with demand. in Hawaii it's like 160/day for a corolla which is normally like 48 bucks haha. ppl are renting UHAUL vans, or like Home Depot or Penske vans to drive around for less.

maybe cheaper to use that truro private car rental app? not sure though. but anyways, given inflation to EVERYTHING (including gas) as usual nowadays, it's pay to play if you wanna travel \:\(

Edited by Screamin Type ARGH! (07/08/21 09:36 PM)

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#10087014 - 07/09/21 09:49 AM Re: Road trip Calgary/Edmonton to Vancouver [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
Not right now. Maybe in a couple of months.

YEG to YVR drop off is more expensive.
They charge $1000-3000 premium dropping the car off out of the province.
10 years ago, some Q&A site says it was $300 charge.

#10087543 - 07/10/21 06:09 AM Re: Road trip Calgary/Edmonton to Vancouver [Re: porschetr]
SharpSpoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
Rental car prices are crazy right now
There is always a premium on that one way drive because they factor in shipping the car back as well as demand

cheapest option is to fly between the cities. If you want to drive, youre going to pay

#10087625 - 07/10/21 01:12 PM Re: Road trip Calgary/Edmonton to Vancouver [Re: SharpSpoon]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
I'd probably take a train between AB and BC. could be a nice way to travel through the mountains.

#10087723 - 07/10/21 07:42 PM Re: Road trip Calgary/Edmonton to Vancouver [Re: phoenixrage]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage
I'd probably take a train between AB and BC. could be a nice way to travel through the mountains.

Wife's uncle/aunt did this in '19, said it was incredible.

#10087874 - 07/11/21 10:11 AM Re: Road trip Calgary/Edmonton to Vancouver [Re: phoenixrage]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: phoenixrage

+1

also pricey tho

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#10089521 - 07/13/21 08:03 PM Re: Road trip Calgary/Edmonton to Vancouver [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I did the opposite, from Vancouver through Whistler, into Alberta. The views were unreal. I can't imagine how awesome a train would be.

#10089656 - 07/14/21 08:49 AM Re: Road trip Calgary/Edmonton to Vancouver [Re: LNXGUY]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
when our family moved from vancouver to pickering we drove the whole way. i was 8 but still remember the trip. stopping for the mountain goats, shacking up in ghetto motels for the night or sleeping in the car.

the views are etched in my brain. do what you can afford and enjoy the trip. its just money, it comes and goes. but memories will be forever.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads