Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10137346 - 10/06/21 11:44 AM Smoke alarm wtf help ...
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Home has like 6 smoke alarms throughout the home, connected with a signal wire (i.e. if one beeps, they all go off.)

They're First Alert, AC powered + battery backup + signal wire.

Master bedroom few months back did a slow beep, indicating low battery. So I replace the AAA batteries. No dice. Swapped it with other ones in the home, no dice, seems to be a defective alarm? Manufacture date seems in-line; not expired.

Finally picked up a new one (with non-removable lithium battery), and same shit -- flashing green, 5 beeps every min, indicating low battery.

Also replaced the leads/connector (white, black, orange signal wire), no dice. Pressed the test button on the new one while it was connected --- whole house went crazy. So, we know the signal wire def works. I'll lick a finger and put it on the black wire?

Thoughts? FML...

I'm this close to just closing up the hole with a cover and saying fuck it.

Summary:
- Existing hard-wired smoke alarm indicates low battery. Replace batteries, swapped to another location in the home, replaced whole unit, no change.
- Swapped out smoke alarm for new. Same shit. wtf.

The fact that BOTH units (new and old) exhibit the same shit, AND the old unit exhibits same shit at a different spot in the home seems to indicate some kind of wiring issue... FML....

Edited by furball (10/15/21 07:20 AM)

#10137516 - 10/06/21 02:32 PM Re: Smoke alarm wtf help ... [Re: furball]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
So you replaced the batteries in the existing alarm and even replaced it with a new alarm and you're getting the same result? I would contact the manufacturer, not to say the product is defective but maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Edited by SuPeR-MaRiO (10/06/21 02:36 PM)

#10137522 - 10/06/21 02:38 PM Re: Smoke alarm wtf help ... [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
A quick google seach returns a bunch of suggestions, even for new smoke alarms. Did you try "clearing" the alarm. Something along the lines of disconnecting it from the hardwired power, removing the battery and holding the test button down.
#10141769 - 10/14/21 08:59 AM Re: Smoke alarm wtf help ... [Re: furball]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
Check to make sure you have 120VAC on the black and white.

Other thing to check is make sure you used the mounting bracket that came with the new smoke detector and that you clicked it in properly. The units with the non replaceable battery come deactivated from the factory, they only get connected when you properly dock the detector in the mounting plate. Should be a nice forecful click when you turn it in, this hits a little switch on back of detector that puts the battery into service.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads