Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#10522859 - 12/19/23 11:02 AM Zero emission cars by 2035?
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
Maybe this topic gets a bit more traction. The Fed's plan is for all vehicles sold in Canada to be zero-emissions by 2035 . It is assumed that zero-emissions implies electric (EV's). That's 11 years away. Seems like a short timeline for any drastic change. There hasn't been any public consultation that I'm aware of. Seems like the government is once again telling us how to live our lives. As a car forum, you must have opinions on this! Personally not a fan. What say you?

Extended version: I have personally not bought into the electric vehicle philosophy for the following reasons:

First and foremost is that I personally enjoy the engagement of driving a (manual transmission) gasoline-powered car. It has a certain feel, provides certain feedback, sounds and smells a certain way. I also like working on them. It's a whole experience, and I think most of us car people would feel the same. I put this point first because our subjective enjoyment of the automobile experience is usually the most important factor in choosing a car, at least for our generation.

Secondly, the electric car has been advertised as a "green" choice, and I just don't buy that. I think it's a pure lie. It might seem green to the buyer, but the carbon footprint over the life of the car compared to a traditional internal combustion engine (ICE) doesn't produce an advantage until several years into ownership, and by current technology standards, you may already be looking into battery replacements which sets back your carbon footprint. The mining of the materials is bad. The shipping of these materials back and forth is bad. To dispose of the materials is bad. That said, I fully expect there to be significant advances in battery technology which could reframe this point. Ultimately, I feel a lot of our "green policies" are just offsetting our pollutions to other parts of the world which is a pretty selfish approach.

Thirdly, the infrastructure will not be ready. We don't have the capacity to build the number of charging stations that would be required to meet the demands for a wholesale change to EVs. Could our power grid even support such a change? Has there been any analysis on the impact of increasing the number of significantly heavier vehicles on our already crumbling roads? What's our plan for battery disposal? What about reliability in extreme cold temps?

Finally, and this is my tinfoil hat story time, a lot of the tech built into these electric vehicles (and I assume all newer non-electric as well) is in my opinion, very intrusive to our privacy and freedom. We know Tesla's have their sentry mode (cameras and mics everywhere). We know these cars are connected like some kind of hive mind (that's how they get software updates). It's not hard for the car to be used as a tracking / surveillance device, or a control device to limit your movement / usage. Are we comfortable with this? There's already an example of the government controlling home temps when the grid couldn't handle it. You trust them to make these type of decision on your behalf? I don't like anyone telling me how to live me life.

All that said, I just believe in the freedom of choice. As long as people are properly informed, I fully support their right to choose. If you want a Tesla because you just never want to got to another gas station, or you like the look, or you love the torque, or you like that it can dance and fart, have at it! And while I'm currently opposed to EV's, I think they are probably a huge asset for delivery type vehicles in an urban settings. And in terms of pure efficiency, this TED Talk suggests hybrids are the best of both worlds. Until the battery technology and infrastructure improves, I tend to agree.

#10522864 - 12/19/23 11:16 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: 4Three]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
I can see this being pushed back several times before we reach 2035.

Using Toronto as an example, there are way too many neighbourhoods with street parking as their only option. To park is one thing, how are they going to charge their vehicles at home? I've seen one street with 2 charging poles available which I assume would be a first come first serve option, I can imagine the fights that will happen with people hogging the spots.

Now look at the 401 outside of the GTA. When travelling between cities (usually on a long weekend/holiday) the gas stations are backed up with cars trying to top up their tanks in the middle of nowhere and this is for a 5 min fill up. Have this for the same amount of electric cars and you will need a dedicated parking lot full of chargers to accomodate a 30min at minimum charge time.

Yes it will probably take decades for people to finally give up on their ICE vehicles but I don't see the infrastruture keeping pace even with that.

#10522867 - 12/19/23 11:29 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Never gonna happen by 2035.

#10522937 - 12/19/23 01:53 PM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: LNXGUY]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

seeing that eglinton is still under construction, maybe we get there by 2155.

#10523388 - 12/20/23 10:56 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: Big Tasty]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
there are way too many neighbourhoods with street parking as their only option.

This is a good point. Dense areas like this or condo buildings wouldn't be able to handle everyone charging their cars. So my feeling is that there is a unspoken push from the government to get us out of cars altogether. Then we're restricted to movement by public transport, which sucks, is unreliable, inefficient, and their operating times / coverage can be completely controlled. This goes with the whole movement towards 15 minute cities. (tin-foil hat time)

Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

seeing that eglinton is still under construction, maybe we get there by 2155.

This made me LOL.

Does anyone here actually want an all electric car future? Does anyone think it's significantly cleaner than ICE as it stands now?

#10523598 - 12/20/23 04:00 PM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: 4Three]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
another bone head cash grab move by ontario. why tax gas when you can own the station? but they will spend millions on a stupid ass idea only to come to the conclusion that it's dumb asf.

Edited by titty sprinkles (12/20/23 04:06 PM)

#10524779 - 12/22/23 08:38 PM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: titty sprinkles]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
We're an EV family for the past 2.5 years now. Never bought it for fuel savings or for being green friendly. I honestly could give 2 shits LOL

I bought them because they are the best damn daily beaters. Virtually zero maintenance. Just plug it in and it's always ready to go. I have a summer toy so I view daily beaters as an appliance. As long as it's relatively comfy and low maintenance with some power to boot I'm good.

I get the engagement part, but really that's a misnomer now. All new cars suck ass for feelz, except for maybe the BRZ and Miata and the obvious ones such as GT3/RS/ST Everything else is basically shit digital fake feedback now.

Nothing is as engaging as cars from 20 years ago today.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#10525000 - 12/24/23 07:55 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: 4Three]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 4Three

Does anyone here actually want an all electric car future? Does anyone think it's significantly cleaner than ICE as it stands now?

I don't think 99% of people buying EVs are buying them to save the planet.

With the example of tesla in particular, it's hard to argue with the value proposition. They are getting cheaper, they are exceptionally safe, rated as some of the safest cars on the road, infrastructure is there, good residual value, fast, no maintenance. Aside from signaling to everyone that you are virgin when you have one, it's hard to beat it.

I am very much leaning towards a tesla for my next daily because common sense reasons.

#10525031 - 12/24/23 10:52 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I'm still going ICE for my next daily. Even though EV really does make the most sense.

#10526101 - 12/28/23 08:56 PM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: LNXGUY]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
it's fucking ridic

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#10528100 - 01/04/24 07:17 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
a LOT can change in 11 years.

Look how much has changed from 2014 till now.

#10528185 - 01/04/24 09:49 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: c2k]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

i think the future will be in swappable battery cells.

have gas stations become charging stations for battery cells that you load into the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcHjXZvEFGU

#10528627 - 01/05/24 08:36 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: zaius]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
batteries and charging tech will change drastically in the next 10 years.
we 'should' be able to charge at high speed by then. assuming 5-10min range for full charge.

with that said, canada gonna canada. infrastrucure will not be there. unless our leadership changes nothing will be done and we will be behind as per usual.

#10528996 - 01/05/24 05:12 PM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

I have little faith that we'll find a good way to dispose of spent batteries, improve pollution/work-conditions in mining for the materials used in making those batteries, and to stop them from exploding/catching fire. /debbiedowner

#10529749 - 01/08/24 11:32 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: 4Three]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Let's see how this thread will age, come 2035.

But this particular thread aged liked milk - https://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4465002

#10529951 - 01/08/24 06:03 PM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: c2k]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

LOL amazing find!

time does update our perspective, and the tech can only get better. but i'm a dinosaur, and i have no love for electric cars. society will progress and i'll be happily left behind where i think things were for the better.

edit: just read my own reply in that thread. i still don't have apple products, and still feel the same. fuck, i really am a dinosaur.

Edited by 4Three (01/08/24 06:10 PM)

#10531813 - 01/13/24 08:35 PM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: zaius]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: zaius
i think the future will be in swappable battery cells.

have gas stations become charging stations for battery cells that you load into the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcHjXZvEFGU

Never happening. Think about it. That would mean all manufacturers to utilize one type of battery. Which in turn means all cars are the same minus the exterior???

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#10540555 - 02/06/24 02:00 AM Re: Zero emission cars by 2035? [Re: Hatorade]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hybrids are the future (and not plug in hybrids). And then maybe hydrogen and/or synthetic fuel.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads