Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9214028 - 12/20/17 11:02 AM Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
https://www.greenon.ca/en/programs/green...1M2G5&type=Home

Insulation
Get rebates to upgrade your home insulation from top to bottom. Receive up to $7,200 off the cost of purchasing and installing insulation.

Cuts drafts, lower heating and cooling costs and help keep your home temperature consistent by upgrading the insulation of your attic, basement and exterior walls.

Receive $1/ft2 up to $1,500 for upgrading your attic insulation.
Receive $2/ft2 up to $1,900 when you update your basement insulation.
Receive $2/ft2 up to $3,800 when you upgrade your home’s exterior wall insulation.

Windows
Get $500/window up to $5,000 when you upgrade to select high-performance windows.

High-performance windows are designed to reduce energy loss; condensation and outdoor noise helping you save on heating and cooling costs and increasing your home’s resale value.

Note that the rebate applies for each rough opening – so bay or bow windows with more than one glass unit qualify for one rebate.

#9214042 - 12/20/17 11:10 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Big Tasty]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Is this similar to the one they had a few years ago?
#9214227 - 12/20/17 01:08 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: loudsubz]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
so how many of those contractors upped their prices thanks to this rebate lol

#9214274 - 12/20/17 01:43 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: zc911]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

it was better when the homeowner could do it themselves
#9215728 - 12/21/17 09:13 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: loudsubz]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Awesome I have a room above my garage that I want to spray foam

#9215940 - 12/22/17 10:01 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: JEFFOS]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
 Originally Posted By: JEFFOS
Awesome I have a room above my garage that I want to spray foam

Better start tearing down all that drywall \:\)

#9216923 - 12/24/17 09:44 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: LNXGUY]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yeah man. It’s the garage I want to spray to seal the room above.

#9216925 - 12/24/17 09:51 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: JEFFOS]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Went through that as I have two bedrooms above the garage. In for what you end up doing.
#9234614 - 01/18/18 07:40 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Big Tasty]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
https://www.greenon.ca/en/programs/greenon-rebates-insulation-and-high-performance-windows?postalcode=M1M2G5&type=Home

Insulation
Get rebates to upgrade your home insulation from top to bottom. Receive up to $7,200 off the cost of purchasing and installing insulation.

Cuts drafts, lower heating and cooling costs and help keep your home temperature consistent by upgrading the insulation of your attic, basement and exterior walls.

Receive $1/ft2 up to $1,500 for upgrading your attic insulation.
Receive $2/ft2 up to $1,900 when you update your basement insulation.
Receive $2/ft2 up to $3,800 when you upgrade your home’s exterior wall insulation.

Windows
Get $500/window up to $5,000 when you upgrade to select high-performance windows.

High-performance windows are designed to reduce energy loss; condensation and outdoor noise helping you save on heating and cooling costs and increasing your home’s resale value.

Note that the rebate applies for each rough opening – so bay or bow windows with more than one glass unit qualify for one rebate.

Thanks for posting up, all windows ordered, getting 5k back \:D

#9234832 - 01/19/18 08:57 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Risky Business]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Who did you go with? I had a guy from Consumer Choice come in who quoted $12k (taxes in) for 10 windows. 8 were sliders and 2 where casement (crank) windows for the front of the house.
#9234863 - 01/19/18 09:37 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Went through that as I have two bedrooms above the garage.

What did you end up doing? My kitchen (above the garage) is in need of more insulation.

#9234906 - 01/19/18 10:46 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

not telling man, good luck.
#9234914 - 01/19/18 11:02 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

No problem. I'll go through the pics of your reno that I have saved on my computer.
#9235028 - 01/19/18 12:56 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

#9235029 - 01/19/18 12:59 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I looked at doing spray foam like Jeff, problem is that spray foam is super expensive for horizontal applications like ceiling because you are trying to get to a much higher R value than walls. My quotes on insulation alone for a 400 sq. ft. garage with a lower R value than roxul were around 2k. This is 5 years ago, could be different now. To get R20+ with spray foam would probably be double. Worth to check though things could've changed since there are more contractors doing it now.

Ended up doing Roxul, vapour barrier, etc and it has been noticeably better.

#9235177 - 01/19/18 03:58 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Risky Business]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
 Originally Posted By: JEFFOS
Yeah man. It’s the garage I want to spray to seal the room above.
Went through that as I have two bedrooms above the garage. In for what you end up doing.

Need to do the same. My son's room is freezing (we use a ceramic space heater to compensate).

How much did you guys budget for this?

I'd probably need to replace the garage door at the same time (the newer insulated ones with better seal on the side).
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#9235189 - 01/19/18 04:14 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: hyper-s2k]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

You need to tear down the drywall and see what's going on. I bet the builder skimped and barely put any insulation up there. Spray in foam insulation is good, but it can trap moisture which can lead to a whole other bunch of problems so you gotta make sure it's dry in there (Winter is a good time to do this)

I need to add in another 8-10in in my attic, but fuck it the next owner can do that, lol

#9235256 - 01/19/18 06:22 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: LNXGUY]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

If you want to benefit of spray foam but don't want to pay the price you could put foam board in the joist spaces and spray foam between the wood and boards to make a full seal, then top it with regular glass or roxul insulation. It's extra labour but if you DIY you can achieve great results with almost 0 airflow
#9235278 - 01/19/18 07:29 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: loudsubz]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

^^ does that also work for the rim joist areas in a basement?
#9235292 - 01/19/18 07:56 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: spd-dmn]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: spd-dmn
^^ does that also work for the rim joist areas in a basement?

Yup that's what I did on mine. 2" rigid foam with spray foam filling the side gaps, then batt insultion on top, zero draft as that's a pretty cold zone

#9235307 - 01/19/18 08:44 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: loudsubz
If you want to benefit of spray foam but don't want to pay the price you could put foam board in the joist spaces and spray foam between the wood and boards to make a full seal, then top it with regular glass or roxul insulation. It's extra labour but if you DIY you can achieve great results with almost 0 airflow

That's actually a great idea, however i don't think the foam board density provides anywhere near the insulation of spray foam, so not sure if it's worth doing that when you are already insulating with batts+vapor barrier...unless I am missing something here?

#9235329 - 01/19/18 09:22 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

That's actually a great idea, however i don't think the foam board density provides anywhere near the insulation of spray foam, so not sure if it's worth doing that when you are already insulating with batts+vapor barrier...unless I am missing something here?

The biggest advantage over batts and vapour is the air movement. You basically stop the air movement with spray foam or the foam board.

Of course spray foam is going to offer the best R value, foam board being behind then batt. By doing foam board you stop the air movement then insulate a bit more on top. Will never equal spray foam alone but cost isn't as much

#9235363 - 01/19/18 11:54 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: loudsubz]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good call.

#9235390 - 01/20/18 08:36 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: loudsubz]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

The biggest advantage over batts and vapour is the air movement. You basically stop the air movement with spray foam or the foam board.

Of course spray foam is going to offer the best R value, foam board being behind then batt. By doing foam board you stop the air movement then insulate a bit more on top. Will never equal spray foam alone but cost isn't as much

How did you secure the foam board prior to spray foaming the perimeter?

#9235395 - 01/20/18 09:10 AM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Risky Business]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Pl300 foam board adhesive
#9235757 - 01/21/18 04:29 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: loudsubz]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

that goes behind the foam board onto the OSB, yea?
#9235804 - 01/21/18 05:28 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: spd-dmn]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: spd-dmn
that goes behind the foam board onto the OSB, yea?

Yes sir.

#9236423 - 01/22/18 01:19 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

I looked at doing spray foam like Jeff, problem is that spray foam is super expensive for horizontal applications like ceiling because you are trying to get to a much higher R value than walls. My quotes on insulation alone for a 400 sq. ft. garage with a lower R value than roxul were around 2k. This is 5 years ago, could be different now. To get R20+ with spray foam would probably be double. Worth to check though things could've changed since there are more contractors doing it now.

Ended up doing Roxul, vapour barrier, etc and it has been noticeably better.

Quieter too, by any chance?

I still have a chain drive GDO, and it's loud AS FUCK in the kitchen.

#9236676 - 01/22/18 04:58 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quieter, i have a shaft drive liftmaster 8500, you don't hear the motor, but you definitely "feel" the door. I have a pretty heavy 16' fully insulated door, if it's a single door and not insulated should be almost silent upstairs.
#9236812 - 01/22/18 08:07 PM Re: Replacing your home windows and insulation? Rebates coming [Re: Risky Business]
spd-dmn Offline
Post Master

i like hearing the gdo. i want to know if that shit is moving if i wasnt the one moving it.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads