Page 60 of 60 « First<5657585960
Topic Options
#9168261 - 10/24/17 06:05 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: HotHB]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
 Originally Posted By: HotHB
Anyone got any spin bike recommendations?

Sub $500 level?

This thing has surprisingly good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015P8FANI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2NP0LESRGP6EX&colid=ZN1M2U8NAO09

cant help at that price point, sorry!

#9170388 - 10/26/17 03:31 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
HotHB Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: nato2377
 Originally Posted By: HotHB
Anyone got any spin bike recommendations?

Sub $500 level?

This thing has surprisingly good reviews: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015P8FANI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2NP0LESRGP6EX&colid=ZN1M2U8NAO09

cant help at that price point, sorry!

Even worth it at that price point?

Say money is no object...what would you buy?

#9170639 - 10/26/17 06:14 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: HotHB]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

https://stagescycling.com/us/stages-indoor-sc-series-bike2/
#9170645 - 10/26/17 06:18 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

the one you posted is def worth it for the price though. I just use a craigslist 50 dollar fluid trainer paired with zwift
#9171504 - 10/27/17 02:48 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
schtickaz.ai Online   content
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
'nother vote for just a backup bike on a kurt kinetic trainer or similar paired to your gamified platform of choice

that way I have much less unused stuff cluttering up my back office

#9224336 - 01/04/18 10:00 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: schtickaz.ai]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

i did the unthinkable.......

sold my mtb...........

and bought a TT bike.

2015 Cervelo P3
bought it from a teammate, everything but the wheels (those are mine) for a set of carbon clinchers and $800. gonna snag a disc and call it a day

Edited by nato2377 (01/04/18 10:02 PM)

#9225528 - 01/05/18 08:25 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
civic00sedan Offline
Sr Member

Loc: NY
i did the unthinkable.......

sold my mtb...........

and bought a TT bike.

2015 Cervelo P3
bought it from a teammate, everything but the wheels (those are mine) for a set of carbon clinchers and $800. gonna snag a disc and call it a day

This does not compute. N+1 all the bikes

#9228736 - 01/10/18 05:21 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: civic00sedan]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

So I think this will be the year of N+1

So given my current bike, a gravel grinder with 5k of use

My riding is
75% commuting
15% long tours
5% road race
5% CX
1% other dirt/logging roads

I'd like to get into Mtn biking again though. There's weekly Mtn bike and bi-weeklyroad races only 2 miles from my house. There's some fire-roads just 10 miles away too. But the good stuff is an hour drive.

So basically I'm debating between
Full road "race" bike to use on races and shorter tours, keep grinder for CX/longer tours
Mtn bike for the fantasy that I'll start mtn biking again. Not sure how real that is with my free-time and 2 kids though.

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (01/10/18 05:24 PM)

#9228770 - 01/10/18 06:09 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: ]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

if it was me id use the grinder for commuting/cx and then build a race bike of my dreams and ride it the rest of the time. fire roads will get boring and you wont drive 2 hrs round trip enough for the good trails to make it worthwhile. thats basically why i stopped mtb in co. to much driving

Edited by nato2377 (01/10/18 06:10 PM)

#9228778 - 01/10/18 06:17 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Yeah that's where I was going with this. It sucks because mtn biking is what I used to do (when I grew up in the foothills).

I might take the race bike for summer commutes/long way home when it' summer(we have very dry summers). So I can sort of defend it to myself as a "back-up" commuter(summer only). That will also enable me to tear down teh commuter in the summer and go over it.

#9228954 - 01/10/18 11:27 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: ]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

i ride the race bike as much as possible/if weather is good and when weather is sketchy/wet take the commuter. My thoughts are, why have a super nice bike if youre never going to ride it? My race bike is my do it all bike!
#9229337 - 01/11/18 01:04 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Yeah, that's my thought too.

Last winter I finally started riding the grinder in the winter (that prior year I'd ridden my 90s era hard tail on smoothies). That definitely wore some shit out (bottom bracket, rear hub, finally needed cables, large chainring (oddly not the small one). Some of that was due, but I'm sure it happened faster. The natural grime coupled with a few snow days (we don't salt normally, but they sand pretty damn hard).

That said, if I'm getting a 4k bike I won't be riding it when it's THAT bad. But yeah, light mist in september or may sure. Most the time we get like 1-2 rain days tops per month in summer so it'll get a lot of use then.

Also, not planning to strap a trailer behind a race bike, grinder sees it all.

#9232567 - 01/15/18 09:18 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: ]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
Lives in Colorado and sells his mountain bike for a TT bike?

WTF

#9232820 - 01/16/18 11:13 AM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

lol

So quick question. What's my best strategy for getting faster on long rides? Saddle time?
Long slow rides? (remember it's our wet season, so those sort of suck right now)
LT practice on the trainer?
Just ride faster until I have to slow down?
Spring my commutes?

Like right now I average 2-3 hours week cycling (all short rides) and another 3-4 hours week running (mostly long slow stuff). Running is more my passion, but I'd like to start bringing my long rides up in speed. I'm not sure what angle to approach that from.

#9232967 - 01/16/18 02:30 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: ]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

First you have to be doing long rides before worrying about how fast you are doing them. You need to put time in the saddle. 2-3 hours per week is nothing.

Work your way up, put the hours in. A big part of doing long rides is getting your body accustomed to being in a biking positions for hours and also getting your sit bones used to being abused for extended periods.

Judging by your weekly hours you need to start with base mileage, you can't just hop into interval style training.
I find with endurance riding that everything sort of falls into place. Put the hours in, do long rides and your sustained power will slowly follow.

#9233096 - 01/16/18 06:42 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: robbbby

WTF

lol,im racing 24Hours of Old Pueblo next month. Still getting MTB in \:D

you done with Strava?

#9233153 - 01/16/18 09:05 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: nato2377]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

WTF

lol,im racing 24Hours of Old Pueblo next month. Still getting MTB in \:D

you done with Strava?

Ah nice, a guy I know from up here is doing it solo. You were doing tag, right?

Lol I'm not done with strava, just haven't been riding. I don't know what happened to be honest. As soon as daylight savings time ended I stopped riding. By the time I got home from work and geared up it was dark already, I rode the trainer a couple times but just couldn't bring myself to make it a proper habit.
I started up again new years eve and after a few hiccups with sit bone pain from being off the bike for so long I'm back to riding every single day and 10+ hour weeks.
I'm just staying off strava for the winter, nearly every single ride is zwift this time of year, taking a little break from it until everyone gets back to riding outdoors, though I am going to check in when you do that 24.
I'm guessing you're still doing some outdoor riding if you're doing the 24 shortly? Cant imagine training for that on a trainer.

#9233629 - 01/17/18 02:52 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: robbbby]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

First you have to be doing long rides before worrying about how fast you are doing them. You need to put time in the saddle. 2-3 hours per week is nothing.

Work your way up, put the hours in. A big part of doing long rides is getting your body accustomed to being in a biking positions for hours and also getting your sit bones used to being abused for extended periods.

Judging by your weekly hours you need to start with base mileage, you can't just hop into interval style training.
I find with endurance riding that everything sort of falls into place. Put the hours in, do long rides and your sustained power will slowly follow.

Looking a little closer, it's closer to 4 ish.

Long rides are sort of triky with 8 hours of daylight and most of it wet. But I hear what you're saying. I just assumed that between 7-8hours combined (which is what I was do before of winter) I might be clear.

Given the weather, for the short term....
Would base be gained by turning say 3-4 of my 25 minute commutes to 1 hours?

I'd start adding an actual long ride every few weekends (because right now I have a routine of snowboarding every other or long runs).

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (01/17/18 02:59 PM)

#9233739 - 01/17/18 06:03 PM Re: Cyclists that race - training [Re: ]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

I guess we should go back to your original question regarding getting fast on long rides. What is your goal, or rather what do you consider a long ride?

Everything starts with a good base. Keep rides in zone 2, 60-70% of max heart rate. Get your body used to using oxygen more efficiently and burning fat for fuel. I wouldn't over think it this time of year, put in the miles where you can, and obviously anywhere that you can increase a 25 minute ride to an hour is going to be beneficial. And of course get out on the snowboard, this is the time of year to do that cross training.

Unless you have racing planned for early spring just take things easy and put the time and miles in when you can. Once the weather starts getting nice you can grow from there.

Page 60 of 60 « First<5657585960

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads