Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8756904 - 08/11/16 01:38 PM Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?]
schtickaz.ai Online   content
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
on my right hip, it hurts to even jog after like a half a mile or something. Not sure what I did [possibly biking?] to injure it.

stretching seems to help, but I just cant run without it hurting.

what the fuck do I do? keep stretching/not running/hoping for the best until it no longer hurts?

even just walking I have to hobble a little on my right side and my hip hurts \:\|

#8758090 - 08/12/16 09:57 AM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Post Master Supreme

fuck I'm thinking I'm fucked

did a 5k easy 2 days after the last and my hip hurts from even walking now

guess I'll take 2 weeks off of jogging and just stretch it,

when my foot impacts the ground, as my leg drives up into the hip joint, it hurts right there I guess, as best as I can tell it strikes my hip joint/socket area it hurts right there

pretty simple, I step down, the forces increase up into my hip especially as a jog, and my right hip hurts a bit at the peak impact

right after a jog, say like an hour, it hurts a bit to even walk on that side

#8758777 - 08/12/16 04:29 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Rest it. It's really your only option.

Rest, gentle stretch unless stretching hurts, in which case, don't do that.

Ice massage if you can.

#8758966 - 08/12/16 07:53 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: Silock]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
If it's hurting that bad I'd say cut out any running for a few days. Try 48-72 hours of NSAIDs, ice massage, and try not to do anything to aggravate it so the inflammation can go down.

After a couple days of letting it rest, I'd start doing gentle hip flexor stretches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQmpO9VT2X4

and glute foam rolling:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ch8iu7Y4HQ

If you're not training up for another back-to-back marathon or anything, I'd say give it a total of 5-6 days before trying a short (1-2 mile) run. No reason to go tearing yourself up, recovering from race-paced marathon distance can take a really long time (2-3+ weeks easily), especially if you're older than late teens/early 20's.

#8760954 - 08/15/16 12:12 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: SJP0tato]
Post Master Supreme

yea I dunno I'm feeling fairly fkuced at the moment. I actually cant even walk my dog right now it hurts too much to go around the block. It even hurts when standing sometimes now [ok usually does, its just a question of time]

somewhere around the first ~100 steps are painless if I get up. Right after that my hip starts to hurt. Fuck.

I'm doing nothing but sitting on the couch/going to work and for working out just upper body and swimming now. I figure now is a good time as any to gain some swimming fitness \:\| [2x/week will become 5x/week and I'm being gentle on the walls/turns]

have an appointment with a sports med dr. next week

barring nothing else, I plan on taking 4-6 weeks off completely from running and have scratched the idea of a december marathon

I've already switched my aug 27 alcatraz duathlon [swim/run] to swim only, and my Oct 2 SJ RnR [half] is on the bubble

however, I'll go for the Napa marathon in march assuming my hip looks like it's on the up/up in a couple weeks, then CIM next year... still thinking a BQ is something I'd like to do [sub 20 5K first tho, but these are kinda the same goal imo]

#8762053 - 08/16/16 02:03 AM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
How long did you wait after the marathon before running again?
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8762155 - 08/16/16 09:00 AM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: Design]
Post Master Supreme

9 days then an easy 5k yog on that day, on day 11 I tried an easy 5k yog again, thats all I've done since 2.5 weeks now

however, on day 4 I started a 6-in-a-row thing of getting 10-20 miles/day in biking.

I'm kinda thinking neither had anything to do with it, it was the SF marathon that got me

#8762274 - 08/16/16 10:16 AM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I'm not very good at resting, but once something bothers me running, I up the biking instead. If that becomes an issue, then I'll turn it down.

Foam roll, stretch, repeat.

I find myself stretching a ton lately and holding for 2 minutes. My hip flexors get so tight. I would peg leg the last few k's of my runs and my pace was down while feeling like I was pushing as hard as usual. My legs are still overall achy as shit at the end, but it's not 90% hips like it was before. Right now my achilles and soleus seems to bother me the most, but my pace is back to normal.

#8765248 - 08/18/16 11:46 AM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: Impulsive]
Post Master Supreme

pain is getting less now, it's almost subtle /seems like it could be in my head at this point but I'm not walking much at all these days [~1 mile tops /dogwalking]

have an ortho dr. appt early next week, I'm assuming he tells me to get lost and take some advil lol HMO

its been a solid week now since my last jog, am/have been getting ancy. Switching to swimming/lifting to satisfy my obsession for now heh.

Really bummed I cant bike either. 5 more weeks of this. Gah.
My shoulders now are getting a little tired as I'm ~doubling my yardage lol. Trying to swim more backstroke to 'balance' my shoulders a bit better. Hard to double yardage at the drop of a hat I guess

#8766427 - 08/19/16 12:24 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
The Mighty BellRacer Offline
Despises overt racism
Post Master Supreme

Loc: DFW
it's possible that it's from a back injury, instead of something actually in your hip.
#8768824 - 08/22/16 11:00 AM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: The Mighty BellRacer]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Definitely sounds like a post-marathon ailment. First one is always rough lol. I took off a full week before going back and doing an easy (and I mean easy) 2-3 mile run. Took it easy for another 2-3 weeks before getting back to it.

It sounds like you might have tried to do too much too soon (?). In any case, continue to take it easy. Consider seeing a PT for targeted exercises to nurse whatever is bothering you. GL.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8780040 - 09/02/16 02:55 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: Design]
Post Master Supreme

update: I'm nearly 5 weeks out and I did an additional test-run this week [1.5 miles at 10:00 pace!] eg slower than my already sad MP
anyways, a day later I was limping from it AGAIN a day later even if the jog felt ~ok so thats it. I even had on my hoka extreme stability shoe and stuck to the dirt/grass lol cry

made ortho appt for next week. I'm sure everyone is fascinated

starting to think this is a months-long problem now.
On the plus side biking doesnt bother me any as far as I can tell. fuck marathons \:\|

#8780103 - 09/02/16 03:59 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thinking we might see a little backpeddaling on this:

Quote:
for what its worth even if you dont have a "good" to "perfect" marathon training plan it might be ok to do one anyways I guess.

Seriously though, hope they can identify what's up and get you back to running. Keep us posted.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8780527 - 09/03/16 12:30 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Sucks you're still dealing with it. I had ITBS for like 3 months after my first IM. Could go exactly a mile and a half and boom...crippling pain. Then one day it was fine. Have yet to have anything like it in the last 5 years.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (09/03/16 12:30 PM)

#8781972 - 09/06/16 11:09 AM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: Design]
Post Master Supreme

yea I guess there's more to a 'successful' first marathon than just completing/hitting/nearly hitting your pace goal or whatever and not slamming into the wall and having a cry-fest. It honestly didn't even register as a possibility/probability that my ~2-3 years or running and super-common ~13 mile weekly long runs would mean that my first full would basically hobble me.

here I sit still wondering if I'll be able to run at all the rest of the year [and beyond?], oh well. hopefully the Dr. tomorrow starts a process of figuring out whats wrong/what to do

note to self: more 5Ks, and fuck marathons

like penciled onto my "goals for 2016" was getting a fall 5k under 20:00 in the #1 position [I was within ~60s in the late spring]. Right now I'll have to slide a "be able to run a 5k without limping the next day" for 2016 in it's place \:\|

#8784472 - 09/08/16 01:17 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Post Master Supreme

whelp got a diagnosis: torn labrum , right hip

key factors in the diagnosis: ruled out IT band, SI region, lower back, hamstring/glute, ruled out hip fracture (!), no pain/swelling outside the hip, muscles a little inflexible [common in my age group I guess], but no pain expressed in all the various manipulations of my hip.

The labrum inside the hip joint where the femur contacts the socket is torn with the main evidence being:
a) it hurts after a run, and only after a run , pain is in the groin region/feels like its 'inside' the hip, and does result in me trying to limp to avoid putting weight on that side eventually [sometimes during/towards the end, but I havent gone over a 5k in 6 weeks]
b) perhaps most importantly, I can make my right hip 'pop' by lifting my knee and then straightening my leg/lowering it. This is a torn labrum hallmark \:\|

I've been able to perform (b) for a couple years actually, so the doc says clearly the marathon didn't cause it. Also I'm probably experiencing bursitis in that region as a result of the marathon which is only temporary and probably has subsided by now.

recommendation: MRI for scope of the torn labrum problem and options including surgical, and PT with any course of action.

prognosis: should be running normally by the end of the year

\:\|

FWIW the doc things running the marathon had nothing to do with this, most labrum tears are not related to repetitive stress stuff, unlike knee/joint things. It's probably been there a while and I may have FAI [which is basically a genetic thing], running these last 2-3 years may have uncovered this

#8795589 - 09/20/16 05:09 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Post Master Supreme

welp: United Healthcare [my HSA plan/provider] STILL hasnt approved the MRI /shockedface, so they cancelled my appointment for this evening to get the MRI [which was scheduled ~2 weeks ago]

I'm gonna do a 2 miler easy test jog on the grass and see whats up because fkuc it I have a race on my schedule in 2 weeks anyways and what difference does it make /it's not like I'm not walking on it every damn day/climbing stairs /etc

I'm going to gingerly WALK over to the grassy park near where I live and stay in the dirt for 2.0m this time. Not like my last test jog which is actually over 4 weeks ago where I 10:00/mi easy jogged it on the sidewalk for 0.5m before getting to the grassy area

either that or an easy 5K on the treadmill at the gym. That might be even lower impact than the grass I guess

one of these for sure. If its anything like last time wont hurt much/at all while doing it, but the next day I'm back to limping \:\|

maybe this was enough time off and I'm fine

#8795809 - 09/20/16 11:04 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Best of luck dude!
89 Camaro - Sold

#8796275 - 09/21/16 12:36 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: Design]
Post Master Supreme

welp, my butt is a little sore on the right side, not sure its my hip. I'm not really limping but I can feel my sore butt today when I walk.

hmm, not really sure what to think lol. but perhaps yogging at 10:00/mi pace for 3 miles on a treadmill wearing hokas is still within my capability lol

#8809186 - 10/04/16 03:37 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Post Master Supreme

whelp I 'feel' like I'm improving and I *FINALLY* got a straight answer out of my Dr's office/insurance co.

shocker they denied the MRI w/prejudice and want my butt in PT for 6 weeks/2x a week and then return to the office to see if my condition has/has not improved

so I asked them if running on a treadmill [low impact!] counts as PT and they did not seem amused...

so anyways WTF. One of my friends that I infrequently run with was mentioning he gets a hip bursitis thing once in a while too and he foam rolls his IT band and takes a day off and it seems to go away. He does like 30-40 mpw tho and just went 1:33 in the SJ half so he's a $hitload faster but says something is always bothering him, welcome to being 40 lol

fwiw it seems like my hip isnt sore at all post 10k race effort from sunday , but my quads are shot as fkuc

#8841122 - 11/04/16 03:03 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Post Master Supreme

so I'm like ~3 months post-injury and like ~2 months of PT and rehab and stuff and I can do 3-4 mile jogs on the treadmill or even on the dirt with ~no problem now.

However if I do a 2-3 mile jog on pavement even I will feel it in the region of maximum concern (tm) which is kinda deep within my hip

I dont really know anymore because I dont run on pavement unless I absolutely have to and the last two times I tried, my 'bad region' felt sore either ~immediately after or the next day.

Anyways: my update

the only thing that doesnt hurt is: treamill yogs, trails/dirt, or a rebound HS track so I am sticking to those AND keeping it to 10-13 mpw right now seemingly without issue

#8841202 - 11/04/16 04:07 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Keep at it. Slow and steady.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8916066 - 01/18/17 04:03 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: Design]
Post Master Supreme

Hip update:

I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel

M: 3.5 mile jog [~5K pace last mile], no tenderness on my trancheatic bursitis
significant stretching [mostly lunges] before and after jog

T: 3.75 mile jog [~HMP], no to barely (?) detectable tenderness on that bursa. It's hard to tell exactly as I have to poke/jab/prod it to determine if its even sore, so the act of doing this makes it slightly sore lol. No limping/walking discomfort whatsoever. Just some glute/muscle stuff which is totally normal and expected for doing a back-back jog because I'm undertrained at this point and also old.

Sew. I hesitantly want to say I'm coming around. Going to try and keep the mileage increases mild, and watch for any setbacks, but these are literally the first jogs where my bursa hasnt bothered me since last July.

over xmas break I jogged 1x/week, a mild ~5 miler or so each time. After each of those my bursa was sore/tender. I just wanted to test it but also get further rest in.

I'm only at like ~18 miles YTD jogged now lol, so I really dont know much of anything I guess.

Also I have been moving down on the treadmill from a ~40 minute /5 mile workout to a 3.0 -- 3.5 mile or so one. Perhaps that is making a difference too as subtle as that is.

I've made [1] change mechanically and I dont know if that is making much difference. In the last year or two I use a choppy /high cadence stride [~180] looking for peak efficiency. I've dropped that down to 150-160 and added stride length and I really try for a longer stride on my problematic side and try to straighten up vs lean forward at all while running. I think this is making a difference too. I know it isnt as efficient but if my style before was actually causing a problem its probably time to stop. I'd still race a 5K say at 180 or 190 cadence but any old workout I'll be lengthening my stride.

#8916175 - 01/18/17 05:14 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I'm glad your seeing some improvement...and I'm impressed with your knowledge of all those body parts. When I have an issue I text my brother a picture of my finger pointing to where it hurts. He responds with "you'll live" and then ignores any further texts.

#8916293 - 01/18/17 07:41 PM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Post Master Supreme

I'm not sure I actually know anything tho
forgot to add: Saturday I did 4x1 mile repeats at relatively heated pace [~10k first 3, 5k pace last one], So I stacked a sat workout with a monday treadmill and a tuesday treadmill which I know isnt a lot of mileage [~13 over 4 days] but its waaaay more than I've attempted to do since July and I'm ~fine w/no tenderness that I can really detect.

So I'll take today completely off and swim tomorrow. Also I'm at [0] miles biked YTD lol [mostly thanks to jetlag and rain], wonder if thats a factor...

swimming tonight tho /wee. fun swimming in the rain

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how a longer stride affects my joints/injuries. I'm thinking its possibly beneficial as this is one of the ONLY changes I've made in my most recent 3 jog attempts--I've intentionally been using a longer stride. Probably the short/choppy stride with a bit of an old-man lean forward was fucking shit up. Running like a normal human being with longer strides seems more natural. I'm not kenyan

#9031018 - 05/17/17 12:39 AM Re: Latest running injury: Hip [abductor?] [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Post Master Supreme

Update: not sure what I did exactly but I pm pretty sure I've got plantar fasciitis now on my left heel. Not related to the 70.3 I just finished honestly, rather a treadmill session I hastily did not stretch my Achilles on that side prior to about 2 weeks ago and most likely a couple such sessions. Whoops

Apparently how it works is Achilles tendinitis causes tightness in the foot which can trigger plantar fasciitis when it's active. I've had low grade Achilles tendinitis for 2-3 yrs now that's normally undetectable as long as I stretch it on that side prior to a run.

So I'm taking a couple weeks off to see how it goes. I unfortunately googled plantar fasciitis symptoms and I tick all the boxes, heel is sore/worst in the morning, hurts again to walk if I've been sitting for a while, etc etc

JFC lol

But my hip is fine, anyways, swim/bike+weights for me now I guess. Thinking 2 weeks off from running or so should help

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads