Page 134 of 148 « First<132133134135136>Last »
Topic Options
#8966155 - 03/07/17 10:08 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: chris4652008]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Thanks man...you'll do great in your race. For your first, it's all about those long runs, so if you're already at 20, you'll have a great day out there.

#8966359 - 03/07/17 11:28 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Solid performance Chris. Way to tough it out.
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8967448 - 03/08/17 08:19 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
SJP0tato Offline

Loc: Gilbert, Az
 Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
I majorly overestimated how recovered I was only two weeks out from Black Canyon 100k, but I wasn't about to miss my 5th straight Way Too Cool 50k. Also developed a nice little cold right before the race, but wasn't going to let that stop me.

Nice work man!
It's rough going into it when it feels like so many things are already against you before mile 1, kickass for stepping up and getting it done anyways.

#8976318 - 03/17/17 12:55 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: SJP0tato]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Welp, my 4 months of marathon training is coming to a close. LA this Sunday, followed by Ragnar a few weeks later.

Just hoping to survive uninjured.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8976550 - 03/17/17 03:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
good luck! guessing it wont be quite as surface-of-the-sun conditions as usual?

#8979441 - 03/21/17 02:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks man. I'll provide a proper update when I have time. But in short, I was malnutritioned for the first 16.5 miles. Fell in and out of consciousness from mile 3-10. It was so bad I nearly called it quits at the halfway point. But looking back I'm glad I stuck it out.

My slowest and toughest marathon to date. 4:37:55.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8979509 - 03/21/17 03:09 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

JFC! it's ok to tap out on a bad day man!

#8979569 - 03/21/17 03:37 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Tits-of-Shame
Unregistered

^taps out on track 5km training sessions
#8979582 - 03/21/17 03:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

"...fell in and out of consciousness in the LA marathon but soldiered on...."

\:\| :|:| :|:| :|:| :|:| :|:| :|:| :|:| :|:| :|:| :|:| \:\|

That said I hear the medical tents are pretty awesome [free massage, etc]

#8979635 - 03/21/17 04:39 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

For the record, I never really faded to the point that I couldn't keep a line. I had lost total awareness of where I was or what was being said around me... by mile 3. The only time I've had that happen is maybe the last mile or two of my first marathon, or a really hard training run. Never, ever in the beginning of a race.

I'll save the rest for proper write-up. But thanks for the kudos. \:\)
89 Camaro - Sold

#8979687 - 03/21/17 05:44 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Way to gut it out Kent. We learn more from race experiences like that than we do from the PR's where nothing goes wrong.

#8980638 - 03/22/17 12:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks Chris. I have a couple minutes so I'll jot down some random thoughts about this weekend.

Leading up to the marathon, I was feeling pretty good. I still had some congestion from the flu a few weeks back. But nothing I thought would hold me back. Got plenty of rest Thursday and Friday. Did my 2 mile run Saturday. Got a late start to LA to pick up my race bib. And was due in Riverside later that day for a friends gathering. The traffic and hectic pace of the day screwed up my rest and meal plan. But I ate OK around 6 PM. As I found out later, it wasn't enough.

I got home late after our friends gathering. Slept for 1-2 hours. Got up and had my typical fruit and yogurt. Headed to Santa Monica. Felt a bit hungry so I ate a protein bar and a little more fruit. Started the race like I normally do, settling in to a comfortable 8:50-9 mile pace.

By mile 2 I could tell something was wrong. My legs had difficulty turning over. My mood was getting sour. And my awareness was fading fast. At the time I had no idea what was wrong. Maybe a bit of sickness left over. Maybe congestion making things tougher than usual. I tried toughing things out for a few miles. No improvement. Still fading, now slowing to a 9:15 pace.

By Mile 4 I knew I was in serious trouble. Passed up by everyone around me including the 4 hr pacer (almost missed them too, despite the crowd being right next to me). I began reflect on what I could have done wrong. Training was good. Rest was good, despite not getting much on Saturday. I figured I had eaten enough.

Given all this, I figured I'd try to take an extra gel and some Gatorade at the aid station. Started feeling better, a little more aware. Then faded back to a slump after 1-2 minutes. Mood was horrible too. Repeated this strategy at the next aid station, and the next. Then I finally figured out by Mile 7 that I was probably in a major calorie deficit. Continued to try and get ahead of it. But I figure I was burning more than I could take in.

By mile 8 I had slowed to around 11-12 minute miles. Wasn't paying attention to GPS, music, crowd - nothing. Just the pavement 4-5 feet in front of me. I had no idea where I was on the course. Just trying to get one foot over the next. Things were progressively getting worse. And at that point, knowing I had another 17 miles to go, I abandoned all hope of finishing the marathon either by running or walking. So my strategy changed from "how to finish," to "how the heck to I get back to my car." That resulted a VERY rough 4-5 miles.

Somewhere along Mile 12, I figured there would be an aid station and shuttle at the half marathon relay point (Mile 13) where runners swap out. So I just focused on making it there so I could get a ride back to my car. Let me tell you... when you're in this state of low blood sugar, for this long, you become someone else entirely. This is a full chemical breakdown in how the brain processes thoughts and emotions. Everything was negative, impossible, hopeless, worthless... you name it, I thought it. Definitely the lowest point of the race.

Just past mile 13 I saw the corral exchange. I saw the first aid tent, shuttles, and a spot where I could sit down and recoup for a bit. I slowed to a walk on the side of the road and got within 10 feet of the exit, ready to sit down and take the first shuttle back (it was already loading some of the relay runners who'd finished). It was at that point I realized, for the first time during this miserable race, that walking was getting me to feel ever-so-slightly better. I stopped, pondered, and decided I'd continue walking a bit to see if things would improve. Worst case, I felt like I could walk back if things got worse again.

My strategy at that point was simple. Walk, eat, drink... repeat. Got to the mile 14 aid station. Drank nothing but Gatorade the next several miles. Grabbed oranges, pretzels, red vines... anything I could find on the course to scarf down. Mile 15... a little better. Mile 16... better.

By the middle of mile 16 I was feeling like I might try to run again. It sucked. Legs were stiff. Calves were hurting. And I could feel excessive fatigue in my right hip extending all the way down to my heel. But I kept running a bit. Took a single ibuprofen to see if I could minimize distractions. Things got a little better.

By Mile 17 I was feeling around 60%. I ran easy. I walked through the aid stations. I kelp eating and drinking as much as I felt comfortable doing. But the key turning points in the race were two mini aid stations - one serving Dr Pepper, and the other serving beer. Finally, by Mile 18, my mood lightened a little. And I got back into a 10 minute mile. Continued to walk through each aid station, but ran comfortably. And I began to run a little faster each mile.

By Mile 23 I was feeling around 75%. Stopped by my run club's aid station. Had a brief conversation with the group about what happened. They all agreed it was malnutrition and possibly fatigue from overnight. And now that I knew what was going on, I felt I had some my groove back. Completely opposite of what most marathoners go through. I left the Club tent, feeling pretty good, and kicked into high gear, darting in & out of a visibly faded crowd.

Those last three miles were amazing. Feet were heavy. Legs sore. But I was passing everyone, holding 7:45-8 minute miles the final 5K. I crossed feeling strong, a little loopy, and glad that I had refused to give in. Perspective is a b*tch though. Everything inside me told me to quit. And to be honest, I probably should have. Could have passed out on the course or done serious damage to my body. But in the end I finished both the marathon and the Conquer LA challenge (10K, half, marathon).

4:37:55 was the official time. And with all the training I did, I might turn June's Half Marathon into a full. Regardless, a great learning experience. One I never plan to repeat. And I am all the better for it.

Thanks for reading.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8981701 - 03/23/17 11:17 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Damn Kent...sounds like a shit show of the highest magnitude! Sorry you had to experience that. I guess the bright side is that every race from here on out you can think "at least I don't feel as bad as LA 2017!" \:D

#8981839 - 03/23/17 12:52 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks man. You know me, I try not to exaggerate things or act like a b*tch. It was quite simply, a tough race.

Funny too, your words were nearly verbatim from other experienced runners in the club. The race (good or bad) will culminate into experiences that last a lifetime.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8982766 - 03/24/17 11:22 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Design]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Run streak 2017 is still going strong. 533 miles YTD.

Boston is a little over 3 weeks away. I may move back a few corrals at the start.

#8982800 - 03/24/17 11:44 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Tits-of-Shame
Unregistered

That sounds bad enough I might have consider pulling a stickaz. Nice job toughing it out

I'm happy to have cracked 100 already.

#8983008 - 03/24/17 01:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

finish a marathon or a 70.3, then get back to me. Have fun in boston ironmom... if I ever qualify I'd just treat it like a victory-lap lol

I've had several half races where I've noticed that my pace was too aggressive and just held out as long as I could until the inevitable. No big deal. Basically that's every SJ rnr half for me. It will be hot, I will try to PR, I will hit the pain wall at mile 9 and struggle in, no big deal. See you next year with the exact same approach

if I ever have an experience like Design is describing I'd have torn my bib off by mile 3 and be patiently waiting for the beer line to open. Way more to lose than gain imho. Maybe I'm a little sensitive as I spent 6 months after my first [which was easy as fkuc until like mile 25.1] marathon wondering if I'd even be able to run a 5k again , in fact, for several months or so I figured that was the new reality for me

#8983213 - 03/24/17 04:18 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Tits-of-Shame
Unregistered

"maybe"
#8984684 - 03/26/17 10:43 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

60 mile week with no races. Weeeee!

#8984958 - 03/27/17 10:21 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Crazy.
89 Camaro - Sold

#8992501 - 04/03/17 06:41 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: 2000CheetahStud]
chris4652008 Offline
Post Master Sr

Monday at the start of the week of my first Marathon, it all feels VERY REAL right now.

#8992683 - 04/03/17 10:39 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: chris4652008]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

^good luck! hope you're doing enough mpw [35+?]

new shiny half PR for me, 1:43 [former PR was last years SF RnR at 1:47:mid, which had way more hills ofc, but was cool af/perfect temps]
I went out only ~:15-:20s over my current 10K PR lol [went out in 47:45 or so 10k] and held on more or less. I was expecting to be able to handle 7:30 pace in the final 5k but obviously didn't. Although the temps were cool [60s] the direct sun/dehydration were getting to me. Plus to be honest I think it was an aggressive pacing decision and really represents me having probably gone out a hair too fast and then simply paying for it in the back half. Still if it was overcast/not direct sun I feel like I could have gone much faster in the back half.
But my right hammy started to twinge about a half a mile before the finish line and as I closed the race/sped up a bit it was getting a little worse. I chock this up to not enough long runs and my 6 month layoff last year. OK it was possibly just dehydration related/dunno.

For fueling I used [1] cliffblox with the 2x/caffeine, carried my smallest water bottle and used the last [3] water stops only as I was running out of water [just tossed it in the bottle and went]

#8993033 - 04/03/17 03:10 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nice work man. Solid time!
89 Camaro - Sold

#8993446 - 04/03/17 11:17 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: chris4652008]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: y2blade
Monday at the start of the week of my first Marathon, it all feels VERY REAL right now.

Go out and enjoy the payoff of all that training. When you hit the wall around 18-21 just tell yourself there is no wall and it'll be over before you know it.

#8993491 - 04/04/17 03:08 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
chris4652008 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
 Originally Posted By: y2blade

Go out and enjoy the payoff of all that training. When you hit the wall around 18-21 just tell yourself there is no wall and it'll be over before you know it.

Thank you, there is no wall

#8998893 - 04/10/17 02:45 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: chris4652008]
chris4652008 Offline
Post Master Sr

Brighton Marathon was awesome..finished in the 7500 out of 20604 runners with a time of 4:44mins. Top half of my age group 40-44 and 5400 male out of 12494

The run was great, lovely sunny day..lots of drink stations and run through shower points plus residents with hoses and water sprayers so it was no problem.

A really enjoyable experience, I'm feeling very proud of what I've achieved after being, in the words of my PT "This guy a year ago was in terrible shape and fitness (sorry mate) but has completely turned it around!"

If I can do it, anyone can.

Set a goal, smash it, repeat

#8999017 - 04/10/17 09:57 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: chris4652008]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job man....sounds like it was a great experience for you! That's the way everyone should approach their first.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (04/10/17 03:01 PM)

#8999024 - 04/10/17 10:06 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
chris4652008 Offline
Post Master Sr

Thank you
I'm now switching my training to more strength based, starting with getting back to bootcamp three times a week (I'd sacrificed that time slot and all other spare time for running in the six months prior to the Marathon), then once I have a good strength base it'll be onto weights and stuff.

I'm not going to drop running but I will cut it back to prob just the one very hilly 10mile local loop every Saturday morning (I really enjoy starting the weekend with that).

#8999493 - 04/10/17 02:14 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: chris4652008]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

cool! so you didn't get injured? have no idea what mpw you were running but thats great [sounds like it was enough]. Or maybe you dont know yet (hopefully not), it took me 2-4 weeks to notice something wasnt right after my first

#9000091 - 04/11/17 01:41 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
chris4652008 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: MAJESTIC STICKZ
cool! so you didn't get injured? have no idea what mpw you were running but thats great [sounds like it was enough]. Or maybe you dont know yet (hopefully not), it took me 2-4 weeks to notice something wasnt right after my first

Nope nothing noticeable yet.
I Started getting fit last spring, in the words of my PT "This guy a year ago was in terrible shape and fitness (sorry mate) but has completely turned it around!"
I have been running 20 very hilly miles week since last summer, then from January I added into that a 20+ mile very hilly run on a weekend morning once a month

I live on the top of a steep geographic plateau in a rural area, it appears to have been the perfect training ground.

Still no muscle stiffness or aches & pains other than feeling super tired. I have been staying as mobile as possible since Sunday.

#9001346 - 04/12/17 01:11 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: chris4652008]
chris4652008 Offline
Post Master Sr

The pics I took on the day

#9002083 - 04/12/17 04:30 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: chris4652008]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

^nice,

here's my bum-tour of Oakland.
I PR'd everything over 10k here

kinda fell apart around mile 10, was hoping to close around a 24:nn final 5K but just couldnt do it //gassed. Probably because I went out within :30s of my current 10k PR lmao coincidence

this race represented a bit of 'risk' to me as I hadnt really been able to do any HMP in a year pretty much, sidetracked for 6 months with a hip injury.

Picked a HMP goal-pace really just on a guess, and made it fairly aggressively close to my current 10K PR and am surprised it worked out. TBH though I was hoping for a 1:41:nn here heh

I had to play some mental games with myself to stay mostly on ~7:45 pace the whole way. Like at one point I told myself "well, at least get a solid 10m split if you're gonna blow up, at least blow up after the 10m marker..." heh. And when I got to the 10m marker I was like.... "ok, so its only a 5K, time to go"... but there was nothing there hehe.

at the end after the finish line I had to grab the rail/barrier and lean over it for a while and a tinge of nausea came over me. Verdict: worked hard/good effort. Didnt feel like I had left a shitload on the course like I sometimes do. Usually either a blow-up or a sandbag, nothing in between. I think I finally got that in-between.

#9002494 - 04/13/17 07:45 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
chris4652008 Offline
Post Master Sr

Well, it looks like my nutrition, training and post Marathon were all spot on....no ache, pains or even DOMS at all this week.

Went out for a easy 6.5k last night, felt nice and steady until I got home and looked at data...Much to my surprise three new PRs popped up

Fastest Mile.
Fastest Km.
and a sector PR too.

It feels nice that I'm no longer "Training for Marathon" and I'm free to run whenever and however and for as long as I feel like now....I'm no longer tied to 20miles per week and a 20miler once a month.

Plan of attack now is hit fitness bootcamp hard again as doing my first OCR in May

#9002703 - 04/13/17 10:59 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: chris4652008]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

JFC I'm jelly. After my first full I was two-hands on the handrail going down for like 2 and almost 3 days at work
Day of, taking BART and then CALTRAIN and carrying my luggage up/down the stairs from SF was such a clusterfuck

I knew it must have been bad because at one point when I was hugging the rail going down and being limpy/awkward af one of my co-workers was like 'dude are you ok??!' and at that moment I realized just how bad I looked

I was sore af and generally exhausted after that last half race I just did too , my quads were positively piqued

I dont expect my next full to be any different lmao [CIM!]

#9002894 - 04/13/17 12:51 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
20miler once a month

See that? That's why he's not destroyed. Plus, it sounds like he took it conservatively and enjoyed the day.

Page 134 of 148 « First<132133134135136>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads