Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8941852 - 02/10/17 05:58 PM Building a base
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

So as of right now, my last 6 weeks are:
I've got about 10-15mi/week the last 5-ish weeks (with a lot of gaps when it snowed a ton). I was doing about the same in Oct-through mid November.

However my road/trail mix varies greatly. I've done no more than 8 miles of road in a given week in a long time(and that was as one run).

It seems like ANY time I do road Pace(sub 8 for me) work my Plantar Fascia acts up. So anything approximating 'speed' have been active trail races (1/2 in november, 8 miler october, 5 miler september).

So I'm trying to figure out what I should be training for/doing right now. Lately I've just been slowly increase long run (and accidentally running it the dreaded medium pace) and fitting in small runs when I can.

So my goals this year are:
Trail Full or 50km
Road 1/2 (PR)
Being ready for spontaneous trail 1/2s, 10kms, etc.
Most the races I'm looking at are July or later.

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (02/13/17 10:58 AM)

#8942302 - 02/11/17 12:36 PM Re: Building a base [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
IMO you need consistency more than anything to build a good base. Speed comes with increased fitness (you're not a noob so you already know how to run "fast") so I wouldn't worry about any pace goals or expectations, just work on running 6 days a week. Run short when you're tired, longer when you're feeling good..if you feel like picking up the pace, then do it. Maybe set a goal of a minimum of 25 mpw.

My running got better and I enjoyed it a whole lot more when I stopped worrying about specific training plans and just kind of winged it. Other than weekly mileage goals leading up to big races, I don't have anything planned out, except for running every day I can.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (02/11/17 12:38 PM)

#8942347 - 02/11/17 01:45 PM Re: Building a base [Re: Sir Ironpool]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
Embrace the treadmill OP! I honestly believe it allowed me to keep my run fitness together while rehabbing a nasty hip problem, it's somewhat low impact. I was in the 5-10 mpw range for 6 months and if anything I got a bit faster (granted, didn't come from fast or anything over 20mpw)

Pro tip: set it to decline -2 or -3 degrees for minimum impact/maximum hillarity

I still fear running on the roads now because of my hip. March I will do a half in SF on the road and am fairly concerned

#8943530 - 02/13/17 10:56 AM Re: Building a base [Re: schtickaz.ai]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I sort of agree with your advice mr mom. That's where I was thinking I needed to go. It's tough not knowing what my body can do on the road. Part of the thing is I sort of like running fast. I'd rather run 8s than 10s. Sub 8 I start crying. And I LIKE track work outs.
But my feet act up on anything much faster than 9 pace.

After some reading I think my plan is:
try to keep 1/2 my miles trail
at least 1 10 miler ever other week
try to build up to 10 of road a week, so total of 20-25 Focus on adding days as I'm already getting a decent "long" run in.
Incorporate fartleks as a way to build my tolerance for speed(which is leg/feet limited not cardio) as well as still having fun

Wait till April or May to do some track work outs.

I'm still worried that will leave me lacking much for "tempo/pace" but I can reevaluate in May if I should add some in preparation for the 1/2.

Also I updated OP, I ended up squeezing 9 miles in at the end of the week. All of them road miles and the feet held up.

Edited by dirtyS13drifta (02/13/17 11:01 AM)

#8943539 - 02/13/17 11:02 AM Re: Building a base [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
oh I forgot to mention: your LSR distance is in the common hobby-jogger 'danger' zone as a % of your weekly mileage.

Not sure if you put any weight into it, but any week where your LSR is >40% of weekly mileage means you are asking for it.

eg at 20 mpw, the LSR shouldnt be more than 8, at 30 mpw, 12, etc. Yes I violate the crap out of this myself [and well, seem to be injured all the time, too]

doesnt seem like much of the comments here reflect the serious tendency for the PF/foot injury to recur

#8943571 - 02/13/17 11:25 AM Re: Building a base [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
I agree with Ironmom, although I swapped out 2-3 days of running with elyptical & strength. My midweek runs are all quality runs. 6-8 mile tempos mostly, sprinkled with repeats. Weekends are reserved for races or long training runs.

Knowing your history, I'd say start by getting in 3 quality runs a week, consistently. Go by feel and not by time or distance. If you can maintain for a few weeks and not feel overwhelmed, start throwing in another day or increase your mileage on your quality runs. Good luck!
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8943620 - 02/13/17 12:00 PM Re: Building a base [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mrs. Ironmom
IMO you need consistency more than anything to build a good base. Speed comes with increased fitness (you're not a noob so you already know how to run "fast") so I wouldn't worry about any pace goals or expectations, just work on running 6 days a week. Run short when you're tired, longer when you're feeling good..if you feel like picking up the pace, then do it. Maybe set a goal of a minimum of 25 mpw.

My running got better and I enjoyed it a whole lot more when I stopped worrying about specific training plans and just kind of winged it. Other than weekly mileage goals leading up to big races, I don't have anything planned out, except for running every day I can.

So given my goal of a new distance, and the fact I'm already doing a 10-15 miler pretty comfortably.

Do you think I'm better off in the short term continuing to prioritize this long slow run (adding 1-2 miles a week).
Or add my miles in the form of more days?

One thing that sucks about "more days" is it's easier to get road miles (walk out door), while the LSR on trails seems actually less damaging and more fun.

Fwiw, much of my pace "worries" are "am I going slow enough". If I run fast it's not so much to set a pace, rather just because I want to run fast.

#8944333 - 02/13/17 09:25 PM Re: Building a base [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I'd try an altenate. One week make it a point to go spend a few hours running/hiking the trails (don't worry about the mileage) then the next do an equal effort longer run on the road. That way you're still getting the mileage, but you're not dreading having to run on the road every week.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads