Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8710470 - 06/29/16 05:22 PM Is NAS workable for real image editing?
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
I'd love to be able to access my externals with my LR catalog and all my files from anywhere in the house rather than only when I'm connected in the office. It'll obviously not be as fast as a direct connection, but can it be workable on files up to about 100 MB?
Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#8710861 - 06/30/16 07:54 AM Re: Is NAS workable for real image editing? [Re: tylerdurden]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
can't do it with LightRoom. I've been trying it for a few months now because I'm tired of the WD Passport that I have attached to my computer since it is almost full and takes awhile to be recognized if it is removed.

My time capsule has alot of room on it that I would like to use for lightroom

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

#8710916 - 06/30/16 08:45 AM Re: Is NAS workable for real image editing? [Re: Duc]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
All depends on your connection.

#8711105 - 06/30/16 10:57 AM Re: Is NAS workable for real image editing? [Re: Duc]
tylerdurden Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Shyea, like I'm telling you
 Originally Posted By: Duc
can't do it with LightRoom. I've been trying it for a few months now because I'm tired of the WD Passport that I have attached to my computer since it is almost full and takes awhile to be recognized if it is removed.

My time capsule has alot of room on it that I would like to use for lightroom

Boo!

#8711244 - 06/30/16 12:26 PM Re: Is NAS workable for real image editing? [Re: tylerdurden]
trench301 Offline
Post Master

I have a drobo. It's connected directly to my imac via thunderbolt but it can also be accessed remotely on my MacBook. Its definitely slower on the MacBook but still totally usable.
#8711303 - 06/30/16 01:10 PM Re: Is NAS workable for real image editing? [Re: LNXGUY]
Duc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MD
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

shit. i would love to have it work on mine

..you can NEVER out train a bad diet -- FitExcellence

#8712993 - 07/02/16 12:44 AM Re: Is NAS workable for real image editing? [Re: Duc]
Kierf Offline
The Right Honorable The Lord Mayor Kierf, First Death Notifier Of ClubSi
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Duc
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

shit. i would love to have it work on mine
A NAS loaded with SSDs with a Thunderbolt connection will work like a champ. Use the Thunderbolt for your local connection and the Ethernet for the rest of the network.
https://www.qnap.com/solution/thunderbolt-nas/en-us/

#8719433 - 07/08/16 05:22 PM Re: Is NAS workable for real image editing? [Re: Kierf]
01Ryan10 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Orange, CA.
In regards to Lightroom, correct me if i'm wrong, but i tend to think the drive speed where your images are saved, or connection to them, does not matter so much. The RAW files are not changed in any way. It's the location of the catalog that will matter. I could be wrong, but this is my guess.

I think a simple NAS to store your RAW files would be fine. Make sure the Catalog resides on a local SSD.

#8719527 - 07/08/16 07:25 PM Re: Is NAS workable for real image editing? [Re: 01Ryan10]
tenplanescrashing
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Celebatecandy
In regards to Lightroom, correct me if i'm wrong, but i tend to think the drive speed where your images are saved, or connection to them, does not matter so much. The RAW files are not changed in any way. It's the location of the catalog that will matter. I could be wrong, but this is my guess.

I think a simple NAS to store your RAW files would be fine. Make sure the Catalog resides on a local SSD.

I don't think LR requires much in terms of disk speed. It's mostly processor speed, video card and RAM for building previews, rendering and importing/exporting.

#8756044 - 08/10/16 09:08 PM Re: Is NAS workable for real image editing? [Re: ]
MetalheaD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Roanoke, VA
I have 100% of my pictures on my NAS and it works great with LR, Photoshop, etc. I have a WD MyCloud 4TB and also a 2TB. I run a gigabit switch and a hardwired connection, but I access it over wifi sometimes and haven't seen any real issues then either, but that's usually not editing, just moving files around. The real plus is being able to get all my files over the internet when I'm away from home. It really helps when I'm somewhere else and someone asks me for a pic or a quick edit.

Edited by MetalheaD (08/10/16 09:09 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jsmonet, x, 2000SiRacer, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads