Page 52 of 148 « First<5051525354>Last »
Topic Options
#6719993 - 11/17/12 01:09 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: micah]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I'm assuming that is a 5k? That's fast as fuck.

I think I'd be in the 24 minute range maybe 23 minutes on my best day. When I go for 10k's with some stairs in the middle, I usually run about 25. So yeah, your fast.

#6720045 - 11/17/12 01:58 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Nice job Micah. It sounds like we're very similar in terms of speed and ability. We should go head to head. \:D

#6720524 - 11/17/12 07:40 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
micah Offline
Tight Knit Marriage
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Columbia, SC
Thanks guys!

Ironmom, we're similar in terms of speed and ability until we get to the part where you fucking swim and bike a whole shitload of miles before you even start with the part that I consider "the whole event"! Would love to get a run with you next time I'm in your zone, though \:\)

Still, I was really happy with the time. I'm right on the cusp of deciding to really devote a lot more time to it and see what I can really do if I put in a lot of miles and ease off the drinking. Either way, just a great race, cold sunny day, straight course. Enicideme even got in on the action and put in a great time even though he was pushing a stroller and having to stop and fix the baby's gear! He said her blanket briefly blew off and she started crying and folks in front of him were glaring back at him

#6720606 - 11/17/12 08:16 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: micah]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

It's pretty funny how we set a PR, and all that does is make us want see how much faster we can go.

I'm doing the same 30k trail race that Ampsman is doing tomorrow, then we have the local Turkey Trot on thursday thats totally flat along the beach path. Not sure how recovered I'll be, or if I want to do the 5 or 10k, but I'm hoping to PR either way.

#6721808 - 11/18/12 05:10 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Posted this in OT, figured Id share here:

and Mr. Mom lost. \:\(

Ampsman and myself were both signed up for the Santa Monica Mountains 30k (18.5 miles) trail race this morning. The race starts in La Jolla Canyon, which is just a few miles north of the infamous Neptunes Net (where the diner scene takes place in The Fast and Furious). It's pretty rugged terrain up there. The Pacific on one side, several couple thousand foot peaks on the other.

This was to be my first trail race of any kind, so I went into it with no expectations other than finishing and having a good time on the trails. Ampsman and I introduced ourselves in the parking lot and chatted for a bit before the start. He's an old hand at this, but I was hoping I could hang with him. Turns out the guy is part mountain goat or some shit.

The course was basically a big figure eight. Start with a 3 mile climb clockwise up and around a mountain then 5 miles back around the other side for a total of eight or so miles, then another 10 miles counter clockwise loop of the peak to the south. I spent most of that first climb trying to pass slower runners, which is hard on narrow rocky single track. One you crested the hill though, holy shit what a view. You could see all the way to Santa Barabara to the north and way the hell out to see. It was a little cloudy from the storm we'd just had, but the sun was out and the temps were perfect. I was feeling really good till miles 4 and 5 where we hit this valley that was like the Swamp of Infinite Sorrow. It wasnt deep mud, and the trail was flat, but this stuff just stuck to your shoes and it felt like you were hauling 20 pounds weights on each foot. That was my only low point of the whole race, and luckily it didn't last too long. We had a couple miles of really fun, super technical single track back to the start, an the start of the second half of the course. No sign of Ampsman though. I hit the aid station, filled my handheld water bottle, grabbed a handful of chips and m&m's and started out on the second loop. This one sent you south up a few miles to the top of the next peak, way down into the next canyon (Sycamore Canyon for the locals) then back up to the same peak (via an extremely steep half mile or so climb that was a total bitch) then back down to the finish.
I started that first climb doing a mix l of a run/power hike shuffle that seemed to work. I was watching my pace on my Garmin and ran the numbers and thought I could come in at 3:00 hours if all went well. I had no idea where this would place me in the rankings, but it was a nice even number.
So the climb went pretty well, and the trails were in fantastic shape. Once I hit the top, it was a really long fire road down to the bottom of the canyon. I picked up some good time here, but didn't goe all out for fear of catching a toe and eating shit. On my way towards the turnaround, Ampsman passed me going the other way and we did a totally nohomo hi five. Turns out he was 5 or 6 minutes ahead of me which wasn't as bad as I thought. Got to the bottom where there was an aid station and I field up on flat Coke (shits like rocket fuel) water for my bottle and a handful of pretzels. I was feeling really good nutrition wise, so I just ate what looked tasty.

Started the return leg via a flat dirt road along the base of the canyon, which then turned into a bunch of switchbacks that lead to that bitch of a climb. I basically power hiked it with my hands on my knees, cussing the whole way. Once at the top we joined up with the fire road we'd come down earlier, and it was a decent hike back to the summit. Once I was at the top, I knew we had a little over 2 miles to the finish, and my watch read 2:45 I think, so I decided to go balls out and try to get that 3:00. This was my favorite part of the whole race. It was beautifull sweeping downhill single track with awesome views for the millisecond I could take my eyes off the trail, lol. It was like being on a roller coaster. I was hauling ass...just letting my legs go hoping the rest of my body could keep up. I think I averaged a 6:40 pace for those last 2 miles. Hit the finish line at 3:00:22. \:D

Ampsman was there with his wife and kids...turns out he finished about 8 minutes ahead of me, snagged 4th place overall, and I think won his age group. Turns out I placed third in my 35-39 age group. I was beat to shit, but felt fantastic. For my first trail race, I couldn't be happier.

So yeah...congrats to Ampsman. He officially holds the title as CSi's fastest trail runner. \:D

#6722273 - 11/18/12 09:04 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Nice fucking job Micah. I need to get my ass running. I'd love to break 20 on a 5k one day. That's fucking awesome
#6746208 - 12/01/12 06:42 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
Ampsman in Extremis Offline
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: San Jose, Ca, USA
Anyone experimented with glycogen depletion runs?

Paki: 3:36

#6748981 - 12/03/12 01:12 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Did a 15 mile run last night (plan called for a half mary race) and other than it pouring rain the first 3 or so, it felt great. Forced myself to stick to the plan and slow my pace down...so I hovered right around 7:50 miles the whole way. Felt great after finishing, so I know the effort wasnt too much. 48 miles for the week.

9 mile trail race this Sunday which will take the place of the race that it called for yesterday. Hoping I can keep my podium streak going. \:\)

#6749492 - 12/03/12 04:26 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: ]
micah Offline
Tight Knit Marriage
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Columbia, SC
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta
Nice fucking job Micah. I need to get my ass running. I'd love to break 20 on a 5k one day. That's fucking awesome

Thanks man! I would have to say that if I can do it then anyone can, eventually. I say that because I lost some weight but I'm still not exactly a Kenyan if you know what I mean.

(They had a 1 mile "Kid's fun run" finishing the same time as the fast runners. Plus, the little kids' parents. I don't think that's a great idea and I told them so - very politely, not like I am on CSI - on their FB page.)

#6749720 - 12/03/12 06:20 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Ironmom
Did a 15 mile run last night (plan called for a half mary race) and other than it pouring rain the first 3 or so, it felt great. Forced myself to stick to the plan and slow my pace down...so I hovered right around 7:50 miles the whole way. Felt great after finishing, so I know the effort wasnt too much. 48 miles for the week.

9 mile trail race this Sunday which will take the place of the race that it called for yesterday. Hoping I can keep my podium streak going. \:\)

Do you do your long runs on the streets? I've started running at night more and the trails by my house are to sketchy to run on at night so I stick to the streets and I fucking hate it, I cant bring myself to do more than like 8.

#6749745 - 12/03/12 06:35 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah...actually 99% of my running are on the streets and bike path...and usually after dark. I stay pretty clear of the sketchy areas, but every once in awhile I think...damn, I'm pretty vulnerable out here. Other than my Garmin, I don't think I'm much of a target though.

On my longer runs, I listen to Competitor Radio or Ultrarunner Podcasts to make the time go by. Yesterday they had an interview with Will Farrell that was awesome.

I wish I had trails right out the door, but the place I'm racing on sunday is really the closest, and that's at least a half hour away. At least I'm right next to the ocean so I can get some decent views.

#6750429 - 12/03/12 11:32 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: micah]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
 Originally Posted By: micah
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

Thanks man! I would have to say that if I can do it then anyone can, eventually. I say that because I lost some weight but I'm still not exactly a Kenyan if you know what I mean.

(They had a 1 mile "Kid's fun run" finishing the same time as the fast runners. Plus, the little kids' parents. I don't think that's a great idea and I told them so - very politely, not like I am on CSI - on their FB page.)

Yeah, that's a BAD idea. I wouldn't want to worry about dodging a bunch of mommies and their McKennas, getting in my way while Dad waits for the perfect FB shot.

The mom looks like Coach Beast from Glee

still have an EM1--go figure

#6758123 - 12/07/12 03:25 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: gamby]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Pulled the trigger.

They feel like nothing is on your feet, super light and incredible fit.
The heel/toe drop is the same as the grit so that should feel the same.
Gonna hit the trail this afternoon with them.

#6758389 - 12/07/12 06:56 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Badass.

15k trail race this sunday for me. Then I need to go and do another 10 in the afternoon to hit the 19 miler my plan calls for.

#6758460 - 12/07/12 08:24 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Badass.

15k trail race this sunday for me. Then I need to go and do another 10 in the afternoon to hit the 19 miler my plan calls for.

Damn! Just run the course twice!

#6758566 - 12/07/12 09:40 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I just might! I have a feeling Ill be looking forward to a nice flat run after that though.

#6760608 - 12/09/12 06:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Well, had a great run, but the podium streak came to an end. Covered the 9.45 miles in 1:20. Crazy tough course with some super steep climbs. Ended up 8th/27 I'm my AG, 55/360 overall.Really happy with my race though...felt strong after already putting in 40 miles this week.

#6760891 - 12/09/12 09:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Well, had a great run, but the podium streak came to an end. Covered the 9.45 miles in 1:20. Crazy tough course with some super steep climbs. Ended up 8th/27 I'm my AG, 55/360 overall.Really happy with my race though...felt strong after already putting in 40 miles this week.

Nice! Thats a great time.
Did you get another 10 in?
Holy shit, I did 9 on friday with my new shoes...my lower calves were so sore on saturday.
I thought it wouldnt be a big transition coming from the grits but fuck me.
The drop is about the same but there is alot less cushion so it makes you go way fore foot.
They feel incredible.

#6760924 - 12/09/12 09:28 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Went and did 5.5 tonight, just didn't have he energy for more although I felt fine.

I'm doing a 20 miler on Thursday instead of Sunday because well be up in Sacramento this weekend...figured I should rest up a bit. \:D

I find out tomorrow if I got into Way Too Cool 50k.

#6761761 - 12/10/12 12:12 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

Loc: Hot Texas
I am at the end of a tapper and my legs feel like shit does this happen to anybody else? They are sore and tight during my runs. Probably need to stretch and stick more.

Marathon try number two is Sunday. Still not sure if I have the endurance for a sub 4 but as long as I can beat the 4:38 I did in May I will be ok with it.

#6762545 - 12/10/12 06:31 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: slackereg6]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yep....I always feel like shit during taper. \:\(

#6769108 - 12/13/12 03:13 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Ran the first of three 20 milers this plan calls for this morning. 7:48 pace and I felt great! I'm feeling good about my chances in Feb.

#6772483 - 12/15/12 02:02 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Visiting family this weekend in Northern California....went for a 10 mile run this morning and it was 35 degrees! Short sleeves, split shorts and at least a beanie. It was covered in frost when I got back. Hit my goal though, averaged 6:48 pace, which is 15 seconds under marathon goal pace.

#6773094 - 12/15/12 10:22 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

Race is tomorrow feel like shit. This should be awful.

#6773218 - 12/15/12 11:46 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

Visiting family this weekend in Northern California....went for a 10 mile run this morning and it was 35 degrees! Short sleeves, split shorts and at least a beanie. It was covered in frost when I got back. Hit my goal though, averaged 6:48 pace, which is 15 seconds under marathon goal pace.

Great run man! What part of norcal you in?
I did 15 this morning with 3k of elevation gain, felt really strong.

#6773675 - 12/16/12 11:30 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

My parents live in West Sacramento. It's a pretty new area so there are tons of good, quiet roads to run on.

#6773951 - 12/16/12 03:11 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

Stopped my watch at 26.3 was a 4:19

They did not route us correctly so most people did .6 extra. This happened at like mile 3 and nobody was happy. Some did 1.5 extra. Sad thing is it is a bq course and they had a ton of screw ups.

My official was 4:29 I walked most of the last .5.

#6777160 - 12/17/12 04:54 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: slackereg6]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Nice job man!

#6777471 - 12/17/12 07:00 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

Thanks.

I am a little disappointed I did not get an accurate finishing time/distance but whatever. I'm calling it a 4:20.

I just looked at the results I was 39/146 overall and 36/103 for males. Course is flat but the race does not attract fast runners. Temp of 74 and humidity of 50% did not help this year either.

Thinking of doing a half in three months see if maybe I can knock a few off my current best.

#6777828 - 12/17/12 09:01 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: slackereg6]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Yeah, don't sweat it. No race course is ever completely accurate.

Damn...that was a small race! Did it get lonely out there?

#6777968 - 12/17/12 10:07 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
slackereg6 Offline

There was also a relay going on with about 70 teams and a HM for the first few miles with 500 people but yeah small race. Didn't see many people towards the end but I don't mind running alone so it was nice. I actually liked it more than the last one I did that had 2500 people plus a bunch of half runners. The larger one I just felt boxed in the entire first half.

The course was correct the one person working a turn just directed everybody wrong. It is more the fault of the race organizers the beginning is just a dumb route. Almost everybody ended up doing just over 27.

Edit Just looked and people are saying one of the turn workers just did not show up so people ran past it and did a loop twice adding about a mile onto the race. Whatever I am sure they will correct that shit next year.

Edited by slackereg6 (12/17/12 10:21 PM)

#6795266 - 12/27/12 11:50 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: slackereg6]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

I know we're all ashamed at how much crap we've been eating the last week or so, but has anybody else been getting some miles in?

I'm in the middle of my peak two weeks of this plan. I've got a 10 mile race pace scheduled for saturday and and a 20 miler for sunday which will make 56 miles for the week.

I'm on track for my very first 200+ mile month.

Did my tempo run tonight:

Mile 1: 7:38
Mile 2: 7:15
Mile 3: 6:58
Mile 4: 6:45
Mile 5: 6:28
Mile 6: 7:43
Mile 7: 7:50

Felt damn good. Mile 5 hurt pretty good, but by the time I was back at the house it was like it had never happened. Those last two easy miles were a great cool down.

#6795773 - 12/28/12 10:57 AM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I've only had one bad day for eating (X-mas day), but a couple of drinking days. I feel bloated even though I've put in a lot of exercise.

I ran on the 23rd
Woke up early on the 24th and rode the bike, went to work, then did weights before going to dinner.
Ran on the 26th.
Weights and biking on the 27th
Will run again today.

My runs are typically 5-6 miles, but have been in some snow which adds some effort/time to them. Every second run or so, I throw in 4-5 sprints in the 100-150 meter range.

#6800020 - 12/30/12 07:06 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Impulsive]
I PITY THE FOOL!
Post Master Supreme

I feel like I've been struggling to find time to get out, but am still managing to log some miles.
Heres this weeks summary.

Count: 5 Activities
Distance: 49.40 mi
Time: 6:45:26 h:m:s
Elevation Gain: 4,928 ft
Avg Speed: 7.3 mph

Heres yesterday and todays runs.

#6800212 - 12/30/12 08:19 PM Re: Running/Cardio Thread [Re: Ampsman in Extremis]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

50 miles in 5 days of running is freakin great.

Just walked in from my 20 miler. Cold and windy weather all along the ocean finishing after dark, but maintained a fairly comfortable 7:28 pace. On the heels of yesterday's 6:48 ten miler I'm really happy.

Page 52 of 148 « First<5051525354>Last »

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads