Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#4907187 - 07/20/10 04:30 PM Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it?
bushidozin Offline

Loc: Michigan
I've been looking around at a lot of different cars lately, one of which is the Forester XT ('04+). The only problem is I can only seem to find them with autos anywhere remotely near me. Same thing with LGT's. I know people have said pairing the '02 WRX engines with the automatic transmission is terrible, and was wondering if it's any different with the XT?
Any input would be appreciated, and if anyone has any recommendations on places to look for manual xt's, that would be great!
Thanks guys!
Mike

Videos
#4907304 - 07/20/10 05:12 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: bushidozin]
SamuraiSam Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Bellingham, WA
It's really bad.
#4907410 - 07/20/10 06:10 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: SamuraiSam]
GB Offline
Sharesies!
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Craigslist
Lol there was a thread in OT about this a while ago. It is 3x worse than even your average shithole slushbox. It is AWFUL.

I wouldn't even contemplate purchasing one.

#4907413 - 07/20/10 06:11 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: GB]
GB Offline
Sharesies!
Post Master Supreme

Look on enthusiast forums for manual FXT's or plan on swapping. Or don't get one. God they are so bad.

#4907416 - 07/20/10 06:11 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: SamuraiSam]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I've driven my aunt's XT w/ an auto. Not horrid at all for a daily driver....okay quick. Would give an estimation on performance, but I've only driven it at some 7000 ft above sea level in the summer...so seat of the pants was considerably diminished.

If looking for a mad-tyte racer, maybe not the best choice. For a DD, seems fine.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#4907581 - 07/20/10 07:09 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: UglyValiant]
bushidozin Offline

Loc: Michigan
I wouldn't say mad-tyte...but at least moderately-tyte would be preferable!
I heard the auto was a bad match with their engine, but wanted to check. I'm looking for a daily driver I can haul the wife and kids around in, but that is at least entertaining to drive. However, it sounds like the auto is a bad idea, guess I'll keep on the lookout for a manual.
I'll probably still test drive an auto if I see one on a lot locally, just to try it out!

#4907631 - 07/20/10 07:34 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: bushidozin]
GB Offline
Sharesies!
Post Master Supreme

test drive it to try it out, but trust me, if you value the driving experience at all, you will NOT bring one home. They are bad. They are BARELY acceptable once you get a big(ger) turbo on there, but anything approaching stock and the time between pedal stab and any sort of real tangible reaction is LONNNNNNGGGGGG.

#4907633 - 07/20/10 07:34 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: GB]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

As bad as any car with an auto tranny?

#4907769 - 07/20/10 08:52 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: NOT spotch...]
aerosaaber Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Pittsfield, MA
my mother's non turbo forester is an auto tragic and it's actually tragic. Fucking terrible.
I was looking at an xt yesterday, saw the stupid auto gate and promptly returned to my vehicle and bailed.

#4908445 - 07/21/10 08:17 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: NOT spotch...]
SEANSE-R Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: West MI
 Originally Posted By: spotch
They should have used the 5spd auto from the LGT.

#4909387 - 07/21/10 02:55 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: ]
ElectronVTEC2 Offline
Post Master Sr

I think that was my thread a few months back - contemplating a '04 WRX with the auto tranny. That lasted about a day and I came to my senses.

Todd

#4909808 - 07/21/10 06:32 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: SEANSE-R]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SEANSE-R

Or bought a car with a real transmission ;\)

#4912529 - 07/22/10 08:01 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: NOT spotch...]
Stock94si Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Live Free or Die

give it a rest..

#4912707 - 07/22/10 09:47 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: NOT spotch...]
Chris92Sc2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: MI USA

My auto LGT went faster than any car or bike for that matter, that you've owned. LOL

The 4eat is pretty bad although they do make Valve Body and Tq Converter upgrades that supposedly work wonders for them. I'd just keep searching for a M/T though.

#4912987 - 07/23/10 06:52 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Chris92Sc2]
LNXGUY Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
It's worse then the VW O1M?

#4913008 - 07/23/10 07:15 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Chris92Sc2]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Chris92Sc2

My auto LGT went faster than any car or bike for that matter, that you've owned. LOL

You must've won madd cash at street warz yo!!!

Seriously, I can't even believe anyone actually considers that a justification for buying their 'fun' car with a totally uninvolving lump of a transmission.

#4913105 - 07/23/10 08:23 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: NOT spotch...]
Stock94si Offline
Post Master Sr

You must've won madd cash at street warz yo!!!

Seriously, I can't even believe anyone actually considers that a justification for buying their 'fun' car with a totally uninvolving lump of a transmission.

Pretty sure that was his dd or wife's dd. Funny that you're so quick to bring the hate on automatic transmissions not being fun yet you've probably never owned anything that's capable of getting out of the 15s

#4913276 - 07/23/10 09:32 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Stock94si]
bren si Offline
Post Master

Loc: MA
I had an 2004 XT auto 4EAT. The 04' XT uses a full sti longblock which is great.

Once coupled with proper tuning taking advantage of the boost control, and drive by wire you can really get the car to shift alot better. I got 14.0@97 with a tune.

#4913392 - 07/23/10 10:14 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Stock94si]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I'm fine with the manual love, it's the auto hate that annoys me. Like manual transmissions, there are good and bad choices out there. Some guys can't live without a stick, some can.

That being said, seems like the new Mustang 6 speed is buttery and precise....so I would go that way.

#4913460 - 07/23/10 10:36 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Impulsive]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
Pretty sure that was his dd or wife's dd. Funny that you're so quick to bring the hate on automatic transmissions not being fun yet you've probably never owned anything that's capable of getting out of the 15s

So it's ok to drive a soul-sucking slushbox as long as you do it every day? lol I guess if it's his wife's and she doesn't give a shit about driving, then yeah that's totally understandable (for some reason I thought it was mostly his, I guess I just assumed so with all the mawds).

And when did 14s start being the magic land where you can give up on being as much a part of the driving experience as possible.
"PHEW! I finally ticked off a 14.99! Now I can stop caring about driving altogether!"

For the record, my sv650 was a *smidge* faster than 15s, and even though I got bored as fuck with drag racing before I could run it with all the stupid shit I had done to it, everyone else with similar mods on their neons were running 14s. Word on the street is that a prelude + intake could squeeze by with a 14.9 too, but seriously, who gives a flying fuck? It's not like the faster I went, the less I wanted to row my own gears lol.

I understand there are people in this world whose driveway empties out onto the interstate and their work entrance has its own off ramp and they spend 23 hours a day sitting in stop-and-go traffic and drive nowhere else, and that sucks so the suckiness of constantly working a clutch pedal for 23 hours straight might override the joy of driving that car anywhere else.

I also understand that there are people that just don't give a fuck about actually driving and instead confuse their enjoyment of the whiz-bang of a powerful 'go' pedal with driving enthusiasm. If the go-pedal is plenty to entertain you and 300+hp by itself somehow equals driver involvement, then that's great for you. Super. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with that kind of nonsense and tell the OP that a forester XT with automatic transmission is a great idea.

#4913490 - 07/23/10 10:49 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: NOT spotch...]
Chris92Sc2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

You didn't need to take my comments to heart. I was just fucking around. No it didn't have a DSG trans but it still didn't suck all the fun out of the car. It started out as my car with her in mind (can't drive a manual) and ended up being her car. I never had the intentions of going as far as I did with it because I had been there/done that with my previous cars. I wasn't really trying to use 1/4 times as a justification or benchmark for defending an auto trans, it really was just a "hey lighten up mag racer" type of comment. I only had my car to the 1/4 mile 5 times total. Yeah the trans shifted for me, but I had to push the button \:D

#4913515 - 07/23/10 11:00 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Stock94si]
Chris92Sc2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Stock94si

give it a rest..

DOes a Manual trans make a boring car into a fun one? A base model Mazda 3 can have a manual trans all it wants, but I'd rather buy an auto FXT make it quick. Why are you holding on to the manual trans argument so tightly? Its not like you do any kind of racing whatsoever. I just don't get it. I used to have that same mindset but I eventually grew up and realized it was pointless unless it was a project car or a real sports car. Thats the other realization, I won't have another project/DD. It just doesn't make sense. With advancements in auto trans getting better mileage, I don't see much of a need to have a m/t personally.

#4913543 - 07/23/10 11:10 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Chris92Sc2]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
You didn't need to take my comments to heart. I was just fucking around. No it didn't have a DSG trans but it still didn't suck all the fun out of the car. It started out as my car with her in mind (can't drive a manual) and ended up being her car. I never had the intentions of going as far as I did with it because I had been there/done that with my previous cars. I wasn't really trying to use 1/4 times as a justification or benchmark for defending an auto trans, it really was just a "hey lighten up mag racer" type of comment. I only had my car to the 1/4 mile 5 times total. Yeah the trans shifted for me, but I had to push the button \:D

I know, I'm just not huge on getting all the driving pleasure you need from simply having a robust accelerator pedal. It honestly takes *no* appreciation of driving whatsoever to enjoy acceleration. People who *hate* driving, and who would literally be just as happy if they could magically appear at their destination and never have to set foot in a car still enjoy acceleration. Being able to enjoy a 'go' pedal is literally the most base form of automotive enthusiasm out there, because anything with a pulse (even if they don't enjoy driving!) enjoys the go pedal. For that reason, simply saying "more go" is enough to replace the involvement that comes from a real transmission confuses me and even bothers me a little, because I honestly see that as being what's wrong with the drivers in this country. It's the reason we all drive autos and it's the reason that we get skipped on a surprising number of decent cars even though we were THE biggest automotive market on the planet. Auto companies know that the vast majority of people who 'enjoy driving' in America are simply adult versions of children who can be transfixed by dangling keys for hours, with no need to appreciate anything else about the experience. It's the same reason GM, Ford, and Chrysler got away for so long with building utterly attrocious cars. Because they knew they could, and we'd keep lapping them up. Mustang's got a chassis dating back to the Paleolithic Age? NO PROBLEM! We just gave it 20 more hp! That thing is good to go for 5 more years!

So for me, the argument that "it's faster than a stick" or "it gets better gas mileage than a stick" or whatever totally misses the point. If you buy it for someone who doesn't drive stick or doesn't care about driving, cool. But if you're choosing a transmission just based on some utilitarian aspect then I feel like you're entirely missing the point in the first place.

Sorry to go off about it, but I really do feel pretty damn strongly about this shit lol.
(and that's not mag racing! :p )

#4913558 - 07/23/10 11:15 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Chris92Sc2]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Why are you holding on to the manual trans argument so tightly?

Because every time I drive a car without an mtx I fucking hate it. Way, way too uninvolving. And +50hp may make it faster, but it's no more involving whatsoever. I don't confuse big hp with driver involvement. They're not the same thing.

It's not like I chose my 3 because I was looking for a sports car, or because it was the sportiest thing I could find for 16~ grand. I was just looking for a cheap reliable DD that counted towards cash for clunkers. But I did choose an mtx because I literally get bored to death in cars with automatic transmissions, especially in the land where curves fail to exist (central ohio). Nothing like a bunch of straight roads and an atx to cure any kind of insomnia problems you may be having lol.

Quote:
Its not like you do any kind of racing whatsoever. I just don't get it. I used to have that same mindset but I eventually grew up and realized it was pointless unless it was a project car or a real sports car.....It just doesn't make sense. With advancements in auto trans getting better mileage, I don't see much of a need to have a m/t personally.

Read my last post. People like you depress me lol \:\( I mean, good for you I guess, but still very sad that driving a manual transmission is entirely utilitarian for you. \:\(

#4913574 - 07/23/10 11:23 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: NOT spotch...]
Chris92Sc2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

I see your point, but you have blinders on to the point of coming off as arrogant and ignorant. You do realize that there are plenty awesome of cars that your willing to just write off just because it has an auto... That to me is sad. Agree to disagree I suppose. I'm not the one screaming M/Ts suck from a mountain top. I do appreciate a manual trans, but for the correct situation. Which, for me has a different criteria than yours. Its just the fact that you can straight faced say someone is wrong for their opinion that is annoying. Especially since you've never owned or built a car that was somewhat interesting. How the hell did you get so hard headed about it?

#4913594 - 07/23/10 11:32 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: NOT spotch...]
Serendipitous Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Northern California
A lot of the hate comes from the disappearance of available manuals in this country, so those of us who like them/can't drive a car without one are seeing our options dwindle. I mean you can't even get VW's sportiest model with a stick anymore, that's a bad sign.

#4913637 - 07/23/10 11:42 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Serendipitous]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Serendipitous
A lot of the hate comes from the disappearance of available manuals in this country, so those of us who like them/can't drive a car without one are seeing our options dwindle. I mean you can't even get VW's sportiest model with a stick anymore, that's a bad sign.

Not to mention the almost total disappearance of MTX's from BMW's lineup (INCLUDING the M models!). Sure it's a possibility for most, but good luck actually finding one.

#4913668 - 07/23/10 11:58 AM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Chris92Sc2]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

I see your point, but you have blinders on to the point of coming off as arrogant and ignorant. You do realize that there are plenty awesome of cars that your willing to just write off just because it has an auto...

Yeah, that's me. I will absolutely write a car off for being an automatic. When I was shopping I kinda wanted a civic but there were 0 in the state of Ohio, and only one slotted to possibly show up in the coming months... maybe. No one knew where it would end up though. So Honda was out, simple as that. I had been dd'ing an auto for almost 2 years at that point, and it was fucking killing me. It didn't even feel like driving... it was like diet driving or something. Half the calories, none of the flavor.

Quote:
Agree to disagree I suppose.

Indeed

Quote:
I'm not the one screaming M/Ts suck from a mountain top.

Yeah, but that's because they don't. \:\) Might as well shout "Getting blowjobs from hot chicks sucks!!!" while you're up there! ;\) Granted autos have their place, but I think you would really struggle to find anyone in the history of motoring (whose opinion matters, at least) that actually thinks an automatic transmission offers a better overall driving experience than a stick shift. (Even if autos may have pro's in some drag racing applications and in totally shitty traffic which is usually much more idling or stopping than actually driving).

Quote:
I do appreciate a manual trans, but for the correct situation. Which, for me has a different criteria than yours.

yeah, agree to disagree for sure on that one.

Quote:
Its just the fact that you can straight faced say someone is wrong for their opinion that is annoying.

Quote:
Especially since you've never owned or built a car that was somewhat interesting.

Ahh, but see, you think automatic transmissions are (or can be) interesting! This goes back to us needing to 'agree to disagree'.

And for the record, you're doing here exactly what you complained about me doing one quote above (casting judgment on my automotive choices the same way that I cast judgment on your transmission choice).

Quote:
How the hell did you get so hard headed about it?

Because dude, I hate driving cars with automatic transmissions. I've done it, and hated it every time I got in the car. When something I loved doing (driving around almost anywhere) becomes an uninvolved chore, that tends to give me a strongly unfavorable opinion about it.

#4913787 - 07/23/10 12:52 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Chris92Sc2]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
But I did choose an mtx because I literally get bored to death in cars with automatic transmissions, especially in the land where curves fail to exist (central ohio). Nothing like a bunch of straight roads and an atx to cure any kind of insomnia problems you may be having lol.

I'd actually prefer a manual in a place with curves or highway driving. Stop and go, lots of red lights is when I don't like manuals. Clutch in, clutch out, break, downshift, clutch in etc. I also have a lot of turns in the first couple minutes of my commute where I need to be fairly aggressive. Many manual trans do not shift well in the cold, so it's a bit of a pain to make that left turn across 3-4 lanes of traffic (winter issue).

I'd also take a 13 second car with grip and an auto trans than a 15 second car that is nimble with a stick. I do still want an auto with control to hold gears, downshift etc.

#4913873 - 07/23/10 01:32 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Impulsive]
Chris92Sc2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Spotch, I totally see your point but You've never mentioned driving a car thats mildly capable of getting out of its own way with an auto. I love manual transmissions as much as the next guy, but I don't see buying a car with an auto a complete failure. I just don't understand how anyone can say there isn't a time or place and call all vehicles with them a waste.

#4913892 - 07/23/10 01:41 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Chris92Sc2]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:
Spotch, I totally see your point but You've never mentioned driving a car thats mildly capable of getting out of its own way with an auto.

I promise it has nothing to do with me driving cars that are too slow. I just don't feel enough a part of the drive if I'm sitting there working two pedal and a steering wheel. It might be fun to cruise around like that sometimes, but most of the time it's not for me.

Quote:
I just don't understand how anyone can say there isn't a time or place and call all vehicles with them a waste.

I think there's a place for automatics... people who don't care about driving (let's face it, automatics are *perfect* for the vast majority of the population), if you literally live in traffic multiple hours a day, and if you like drag racing so much and it matters that much to you to save a few tenths or so, or if you have an SO that can't drive stick and she's gotta be able to drive your car (though the last time that happened to me I taught her how to lol). I don't really fit any of those, so I'm fine with my manual.

#4913918 - 07/23/10 01:51 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: NOT spotch...]
Chris92Sc2 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Not that it makes a difference but the Legacy has the "sport shift" trans so 99% of the time I was in control of what gear I was in. Honestly, that made me regret not just buying an EVO/STI. LOL

#4913939 - 07/23/10 01:56 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Chris92Sc2]
NOT spotch... Offline
Post Master Supreme

Not that it makes a difference but the Legacy has the "sport shift" trans so 99% of the time I was in control of what gear I was in. Honestly, that made me regret not just buying an EVO/STI. LOL

Yeah, my wife's fit has that. When we first bought it I thought "awesome!" and then I used it lol. It's way better than the first flappy autos I tried years ago, but it just feels wrong. \:\(

When I was shopping for cars I drove one of the newer fits with the mtx and even though it didn't feel any faster, it was way more fun. For me at least lol.

#4914252 - 07/23/10 03:39 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Impulsive]
Stock94si Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
I'm fine with the manual love, it's the auto hate that annoys me.

Yep, quite tiresome.. GTR? sucks.. LFA? sucks.. 599? sucks..
Go have fun in a Peterbilt if a clutch pedal is the deciding factor. double-clutchin 18 gears yo!

#4914607 - 07/23/10 05:42 PM Re: Forester XT w/ auto tranny, how bad is it? [Re: Stock94si]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Stock94si

Yep, quite tiresome.. GTR? sucks.. LFA? sucks.. 599? sucks..

Might as well get a bus pass.

Page 1 of 3 123>

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads