Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#45358 - 04/11/04 02:21 PM cylinder head removal/cam shaft swap( info here) 56k no way
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: simi valley CA
First of all let me start off by saying I’m not very good at these things but I wanted to add something to the N/A forums that has helped me so much over the course of owning my car. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU MAY FACE DUE TO IMPROPER INSTALL/REMOVAL TECHNIQUES OR FAILURE TO FOLLOW DIRECTIONS PROVIDED.

Now that we have that out of the way I can start. First step is to start out by first going here, http://www.carenthusiast.com/crxuk/VTEC_Supplement.pdf after your there your going to want to go into the “engine” “cylinder head removal/installation” section. Once there you will need to print out pages 99-110. Which prints the helms pages 5-47 through 5-58. This is a detailed manual of all the things you will need to do the work and all of the torque specs exc... You’ll want along the way.
Once you’ve done this we can begin, disconnect the negative battery terminal before beginning any engine work on your car. Before I start on this project I like to remove all the bolt on’s to get it out of the way for the boring tedious things that will follow. Start off with your intake then do your header.

Then do the following before removal of the intake manifold.
1. drain the coolant
2. relieve fuel pressure
3. Disconnect the fuel feeder hose. ( continue to follow instructions in your printed out helms. That starts on page 5-51 on. These should tell you how to begin and although they list to do these first. I like to get the bolt on’s out of the way first as I said earlier.

Once the intake manifold, header, and intake are all removed and the coolant and fuel pressure have been taken care of we can start the fun.
1. Remove your valve cover and timing belt covers.

2. Loosen the timing belt adjusting bolt releasing pressure on the timing belt. i like to set the car at TDC before i do this. there is a white line on the crank pulley that lines up with a marker on the lower timing belt cover. take the spark plugs out before rotating the crank pully with a socket so you don't have to fight compression and PUT THE CAR IN NEUTRAL. TDC is important as you must mark the distributor so that when you put it back on the head later you can make sure your timing remains where it was.

3.loosen the valve adjusting screws then the cam shaft holders then the cams are
Out.

Easy as pie see. If you’re doing a cam swap and it doesn’t include new valve train. Such as ctr/itr/skunk2 stage 1 and your keeping stock redline so you don’t need new valve train you can simply pull the cams out from here and swap in your new cams and install everything in reverse order and you’re done.
However for the rest of us who want to do valve train/ head removal. Bear with me.
Following the steps listed from pages 5-48 through 5-53 will get the cylinder head off. As after the cam shaft holders are removed the head bolts are exposed and it’s a simple task of removing the bolts… ( NOTE) loosen the bolts in a criss cross pattern in 2 or 3 steps beginning with the outer nuts to avoid warping the head and studs.

i look funny here cuz posing with the head this way its not exactly feather weight. lol

At this point your head is off and you’re ready to do your valve train if you’re doing a cam swap that does require new valve train. Personally I recommend taking the head to a pro to have your valve train installed. Most valve spring compressors don’t fit the b series heads and it only costs about 40 bucks to have a machine shop mount your new valve train.
Once that is installed follow the detailed instructions of the head installation.
For the rest of you who plan on doing headwork and such. Take her down to the machine shop and get that thing taken care of. When the head is returned to you simply grab your instructions and start from page 5-54 to 5-58. I recommend getting new head studs for reinstallation of the head., also new head gasket, new intake manifold gasket, cam seals, valve seals, i recommend replacing as well. there's probably a few i left out but there is a print out in the helms with text next to what you need to replace so. I’m getting a little tired and I've taken a few pics to help you get a visual of what’s going on. When I have time I’ll document the installation process but so far we have the removal basically taken care of and I hope this post helps out a few people along the way. In about month I’ll do a similar post on installation for those interested. Stay on the edge of your seats... lol.

i'd like to thank my father who was out there on the front lines with me yesterday helping me with the work. its nice to do this with at least one more set of hands. we took a few beer breaks and a dinner break and although it may seem intimidating its really very simple if you follow instructions. start time was 4:30pm saturday night and we finished around 9:45.

Mike.

tools needed.
socket set.
screw drivers
pliars to break loose hoses
torque wrench
breaker bar comes in handy if your not strong enough to break loose the head bolts

estimated time for this job is anywhere from 5 hours or so to 8 hours. depending on how many breaks you take and what your comfort level is on how fast you want to move.

for a complete list of gaskets and seals that need to be replaced see the first 3 pages of the helms manual link i posted.

Videos
#45359 - 04/11/04 04:15 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
Beave0101 Offline
servant of egosgame

Loc: San Diego
Fram Oil filter......HAH!

Nice writeup mike, and holy crap those are some biggass pictures

#45360 - 04/11/04 04:28 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

don't get me started about the oil filter. i had my bro change my oil for me since i was at work and i get home to that. wtf lol

i'm puttin this in for the break in when the head is returned.

#45361 - 04/11/04 08:28 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
SeanJohn1802 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Stockton, CA
PIMPIN!

damn, nice write up . .

what cams did you get? or are you puttin in?

• 2006 Honda Civic [color=gray]EX[/color] |[aka Mr. Chunky]| (under warranty)
http://www.NorCalFG.com

#45362 - 04/11/04 08:31 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

i'm doing competition head work/ and intake manifold/TB port match.

i have skunk2 stage 1 cams.

#45363 - 04/11/04 08:44 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
Beave0101 Offline
servant of egosgame

one note, and correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt it reccomended to keep constant tension on the timing belt if reusing it ? I see people hold bungee cords on them and connect them on the hood to do this. I dont know since i didnt reuse the belt....
#45364 - 04/11/04 09:09 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

i haven't heard anything of the sort. i didn't do that the last time i reused it for about 5,000 miles no probs. belt looks perfect. i'll look into it.

i'm probably going to replace the timing belt before i put the head back on. and leave the water pump. i don't think theres anythign wrong with it and it only has 50,000 on it. i don't see why everyone replaces the water pump so early.

#45365 - 04/11/04 09:26 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
chrisgcivicsi Offline
Major Member

Loc: Germany
Nice write up, i say make this a sticky. I done most of what you have except for pulling the head. I had the intake off and changed my cams but havent had the gutts to take on pulling the head. I am wanting to upgrade my valve train since my new P28 ecu just came in with a 8900 redline a valve spring up grade is going to have to be a must but i dont have the cams to pull that high anyway. I know this is a NA forum but i am planning on going FI soon so i only have GSR cams now. What kind of valve train setup does anyone think i should go with if i just want to change valve springs to handle the higher rpms. I was thinking toda or skunk2.

#45366 - 04/11/04 09:30 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

well to tell you the truth after the intake manifold is off you can see by the pics its really not that hard. its just intimidating. but its easy enough to get through. and i would probably do skunk2 valve springs if i were you. toda would be fine as well. i have ITR springs and retainers and mine handle 8800 just fine.

#45367 - 04/11/04 09:30 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
Beave0101 Offline
servant of egosgame

in general, i'd go portflow
#45368 - 04/11/04 10:46 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
chrisgcivicsi Offline
Major Member

Loc: Germany
Yeah the ITR springs and a titanium retainer was one of my other choices too. or would it be better to match the springs with ITR retainer also. I dont like to mismatch brands as i heard its not recommended.

#45369 - 04/11/04 11:02 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

if your going with itr springs i'd leave your retainers stock since the part numbers are 100% identical to the ITR retainer. they are the same retainer. if your like me i bought my itr springs and it came with retainers so i figured why not replace my 50,000 mile retainers with new ones while i was at it. and your right i wouldn't recommend mixing brands for example.. use the same cam gear manufacturer as the cams you bought.
basically for 9000 rpm stock b16a2/b18c5 retainers should be fine. its up to you what valve train you pick.

#45370 - 04/12/04 05:59 AM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
Bo Mook Administrator Offline
The Mooks of Haztard
Post Master Supreme

Loc: county
nice write up, pm G6CivCX, he has been trying to put together write-ups and how to's for the tech support forum.
#45371 - 04/12/04 07:20 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

thanks mook. i know its not complete or super detailed but it includes links to what you exactly need and it should give people an idea that its not so far fetched they do it themselves. its intimidating but not worth the money a shop would charge you.

EDIT: special thanks to which ever admin made this sticky.. i really appreciate it.

#45372 - 04/14/04 01:07 AM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
CivicNation Offline
Jr Poster

What would be considered fair if a shop were to do a cam swap and valvetrain swap. I would do it myself but it would be my first time and who knows how long my car would be undriveable due to a mistake I might make.

#45373 - 04/14/04 01:09 AM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

it would be over 500. for labor i would think. taking it apart you can't fuck up.. you just can't. and on the install. worst you could do is fuck up timing i would just double check everything to make sure you don't. if you really wanted to. you could set aside 2 days to take it apart and 4 days to reinstall being extra carefull and you could get through it. trust me. its scarier then it is.

#45374 - 04/19/04 04:08 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
jpsEPBSi Offline
Major Member

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Blue,
thanks for taking the time to write this up and great job man, I've been thinking about doing a cam swap and this will help a bunch..
Thanks Dude,
Justin
Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs. What is a slutty girl like you doing in a classy place like this?

#45375 - 04/20/04 10:32 AM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
137 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Newsomville, CA
I dont see what the big deal is about using a fram oil filter. Nice write up.

#45376 - 05/01/04 12:13 AM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
2000fbp Offline
Sr Member

Loc: New York
I got mine done; skunk 2 stage 1 cams & gears, and ITR valvetrain for 4 hours labor @ 60 an hour. 240+ tax...like 260 or so I paid. Not too bad, that's why I didn't attempt it myself; esp w/ the valvesprings, I hear they are a bitch.
#45377 - 05/01/04 02:51 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

i guess thats ok if you don't ever want to be able to do things for yourself.

see imo doing this not only teaches you things but this is a very easy thing to do and when it all comes down to it that 260 is almost a vafc or free cam gears and some change. so most of us would rather save the money. especially when its sooo much easier then you would think.

#45378 - 08/05/04 05:07 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
J_DeRienzo Offline

Valve springs, sch-malve springs...if you have the right tool to do the springs, it's cake... Now, if you buy your own tool it might cost $50... haha A good rule to have though is that if you take the head off you really might want to have the thing surfaced by a machine shop just to make sure things are flat...I would be really pissed if after all that hard work I blew a head gasket due to the block or head surfaces not being true. Not much you can do to the block, but if you are increasing redline or compression, I would take the likelihood of gasket failure as a higher probability.

With all of that said though, I guess you could take into consideration how much milage and wear you've had on your engine and take the risk, but just a heads up on stuff that can make a difference...good luck to all.

#45379 - 08/29/04 02:29 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
lonleyracerEH3 Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: SoCal
nice work
yes my new baby, 93 civic si Sept 23,04 Swap completed with SZH22(Nate) Mugen Power 93 Civic Si Sept 06, 2004 92 civic si rip Aug 5,2004 92 Civic Si September 2003 95 Integra rip July 25, 2003 95 Integra GSR June 2003 92 prelude

#45380 - 12/10/04 02:04 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
Fr3dY Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Monterrey, Mexico
at that point with the head removal, is it too much work left to change pistons?
or that is not the way to get there?

#45381 - 12/22/04 11:27 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
00Blue Offline
Post Master Sr

theres quite a bit more work required to get the slugs out not to mention the block has to be honed by a machine shop to seat new piston rings properly. its not exactly as user friendly of a project as head removal.
#45382 - 06/13/05 09:12 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
murph Offline

Loc: fl
Just wondering, what type of numbers would you be putting down with those mods.?????
#45383 - 09/03/05 08:17 AM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
jpizzle Offline

Loc: Goodyear, AZ
Quote:

theres quite a bit more work required to get the slugs out not to mention the block has to be honed by a machine shop to seat new piston rings properly. its not exactly as user friendly of a project as head removal.

actually you can hone cylinders w/ a thing commonly known as a "dingleberry" hone there less than $10 and you put it on your drill it spins and you move it in and out of the cylinders, nascar uses it when they build engines so dont even say its no good. getting the pistons is A LOT more work considering you would need to remove the engine, oil pan, and rod caps, then the easy part is pushin out the pistons, oh and this is after removing the heads and everything that is explained above.

#45384 - 10/04/05 01:06 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
2000Sivortech Offline
Jr Member

Loc: orlando,florida usa
I'm inspired!!! to bad im broke as hell
#45385 - 08/19/06 02:36 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
Makav311 Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: NJ
Can you see if you can get the pics working again?

#45386 - 10/26/06 04:16 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
Shea Offline

Loc: East Coast
any word on those pics coming back?
#45387 - 11/18/06 04:20 AM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS.
shibiku Offline
Poster

Loc: 805, CA
Remember after replacing the cams it is necessary to do a valve adjustment!!!
#1677092 - 07/23/07 10:51 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS. [Re: shibiku]
Mike Johnson Offline

Great Writeup
#1978580 - 10/24/07 05:15 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS. [Re: J_DeRienzo]
HBcarnut Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
 Originally Posted By: J_DeRienzo
haha A good rule to have though is that if you take the head off you really might want to have the thing surfaced by a machine shop just to make sure things are flat...I would be really pissed if after all that hard work I blew a head gasket due to the block or head surfaces not being true. Not much you can do to the block, but if you are increasing redline or compression, I would take the likelihood of gasket failure as a higher probability.

Isn't this the truth. It's ultimately what blew up my first Frankenstein build. It is so cheap to have a machine shop surface the head that it is a MUST do for me anytime I pull the head off to do some work.

#2797176 - 07/06/08 11:57 PM Re: look what i did yesterday ;) 56K BEWARE HIGH RES PICS. [Re: HBcarnut]
V-TEC PWR Offline

Pictures are all unavailable. Can you reupload them. Thanks.
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Runnin@Redline Jr, Dr. BrokenLimits, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads