Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#32872 - 06/22/03 12:30 PM The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
RichXKU Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Amish Paradise, PA
I've seen way too many people using the wrong settings on their climate control and complaining that "it sucked", so here are some common and not-so-common things you should know to get the most out of your climate control.

Cooling:
Selector: Face only
A/C: On
Recirculate: On
Depending on how much heat has built up in the car, drive with the side windows open slightly until things start to cool down. Make sure the moonroof and shade are fully closed. Don't point the vents at the windows or interior panels. You're trying to cool the air, not them. The right vent in the center console does NOT put out as much air as the left, this is normal. Spend $6 on a windshield sun reflector. When you're parked facing the sun, these cut interior temps by about 25°. (138°F without, 112°F with, on summer days.) Always close your moonroof sun shade. If your A/C doesn't feel really cold to the touch after running for a while, then you should get it checked/charged, that made all the difference in my Si. Open the glove box, this will aid in air recirculation (this is where interior air reenters the system)
About 2-3 min before you park, turn OFF both A/C and Recirculate, but leave the fan running. This will help dry out the coils inside and it will stop any funky smells from coming thru the next time you start driving.

Defogging:
Selector: Defog (will automatically turn on A/C if the fan is running)
A/C: On
Recirculate: Off
Set the Temp control in the middle, otherwise the very cold air will start to cause condensation on the outside of the windows. Point the 2 side vents at the side windows and turn on the rear defrost if needed. Same as with cooling, turn off the A/C and leave the fan on a few min. before you park to keep the damp smell away.

Heat:
Selector: Feet only
A/C: Off
Recirculate: off
Hot air rises, so you want it coming out close to the floor. If you're parking outside on a cold sunny day, leave the moonroof shade open to let in as much light as possible.

Remember, the "Recirculate" button is NOT your friend, and it should only be used in conjunction with the AC when you need max cooling. All other times it should be off.

I'll add to this as people have problems. Any other HVAC questions, please post up.

Cooling your engine before/after drag racing at the track:
1. Open hood. With ignition ON but engine stopped, Set temp control to full heat, Set fan between low and medium and turn on the A/C Button, (Recirculate off).
Wait until air no longer blows hot.
2. Turn fan off, Start engine and hold at 3000 RPM or so for 5-10 seconds. Immediately turn off engine and repeat step 1.

I've gotten my temp gauge to read one click above "C" while staging after doing this persistently for 1/2 hour on a cool (~65°) night.

Why this works: In Civics, having the A/C button selected continuously runs the condenser fan, regardless of engine operation or condenser temp. This fan just happens to be located in front of the engine block. Setting the temp control to heat with the fan on, cools the coolant in the heater core. Starting the car briefly when it no longer feels hot, circulates the cold coolant back into the engine block and brings new hot coolant into the heater core without adding much extra heat to the mix.

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#32873 - 06/22/03 12:39 PM Re: The Yearly Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning thread...
JoshuaVTEC Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Neither here, nor there.
WHOA WHOA WHOA time out, Rich...is this an INFORMATIVE post!? Why is this in General? :shakes head: This forum is reserved for wheel pic requests, where to buy what requests, and breather filter arguments.

Good research, good brief Rich.

#32874 - 06/23/03 02:16 PM Re: The Yearly Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning thread...
Type X Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Central New Jersey
rich i leave recirculate on cause nj stinks like shit
My Grandmother told me that there was a passage in the bible that says, "It is better to spill your seed in the belly of a whore, than to spill it on the ground." So, I tried both. And the bible's right! It's way better. That's one of the reasons they call it the good book.”

#32875 - 06/23/03 02:28 PM Re: The Yearly Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning thread...
RichXKU Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yes, as a minor exception, it's OK to use Recirculate when going through NJ, that way all you will smell is the Air Spencer.
#32876 - 07/28/03 03:30 PM Re: The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
RichXKU Offline
Post Master Supreme

Here's the temperature breakdown for those of you with no sun shield:

And here's a link to the MSN report on cooking food in your car:
This Link

#32877 - 07/28/03 04:07 PM Re: The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
sexypants Offline
Post Master

Cool, this is some good info. I have a question about the A/C since we're on the subject. My A/C doesn't get very cold even after running for a good 10 min. I do a lot of what you mention like opening windows and use a sun shade and the air is cool but not as cold as it should be because it doesn't keep the car cool at all. Does the A/C system need more refrigerant?
#32878 - 07/28/03 04:26 PM Re: The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
RichXKU Offline
Post Master Supreme

Hmm.. if you are using recirculate with the AC and it's still not noticably cold after 10 min, there's a good chance you may need a recharge, which is not something to try on your own. Next time you are in your car, start it up and run the AC. Watch the compressor to see if the clutch engages and disengages, or stays on.
When you start the AC on a warm car the compressor may run for 5 min or so (normal driving) before it kicks off and then cycles on and off normally (every 30 sec or so, depending on temp).
If your AC is over or undercharged the compressor will only run for a second or 2 at a time before it detects something wrong and kicks off to protect it from damage.

I will try to get to get a temp reading from my vents if I can find a thermometer suitable for it as soon as I can.

Last week on my way to philly to pick up some friends I wanted to see just how cold I could get it. It was in the upper 70's that night, and by the time I got there it was about 62 inside the car, with water condensing on all the outside windows like a cold drink. *brrr*

Edit: added more troubleshooting directions.

#32879 - 07/28/03 09:54 PM Re: The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
sexypants Offline
Post Master

How much do you think it would cost to get the A/C recharged? Is it really that hard because I know the refrigerant is pretty cheap.
#32880 - 07/29/03 08:11 PM Re: The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
RichXKU Offline
Post Master Supreme

Someone else will have to field that one, I'm not sure. You could also call around to some shops and just ask.
#32881 - 07/30/03 02:58 AM Re: The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
sexypants Offline
Post Master

Yeah, thats true, but I reckon I'm lazy. I heard that recharging was pretty easy but I could be mistaken.
#32882 - 08/08/03 10:46 AM Re: The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
drunkenbabyseal Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Reynoldsburg, OH
my gf's brother and I are debating over the recirculate button. I say it's bad and should only be used in short bursts when behind stinky cars or for a quick boost in a/c. He says it's just a myth and it's fine to use it 24/7. any input on why it's bad?

#32883 - 08/09/03 08:30 PM Re: The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
RichXKU Offline
Post Master Supreme

You should ALWAYS use recirculate with the A/C when it's hot and sunny.

Think about it... if it's 90 outside and humid, you will be forcing the car to cool and dehumidify 90 degree air, then send the freshly cooled air out the back of the car. That's a big waste of energy.

If you use recirculate, the system will be taking the more comfortable air from inside the car and re-cooling it. The compressor will run less and the air coming out of the vents will be much cooler (and come out faster as well).

As I said above: If your car has been parked in the hot sun all day, drive around with the windows open a bit to get the 130°+ air out faster while the A/C gets going, and don't point the vents at the interior panels.

Any other time DO NOT use recirculate, it causes moisture to build up inside the car which makes for very foggy windows. This is especially true if it's raining and a bunch of wet people get in the car.

#32884 - 08/11/03 10:18 PM Re: The Yearly Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning thread...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

rich i leave recirculate on cause nj stinks like shit

Dude you live on a fucking garbage dump and your going to say New Jersey smells? Stop going to the fucking ghetto.

#32885 - 08/18/03 11:38 AM Re: The Yearly HVAC thread... (READ IT!!)
nickw252 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toledo, OH
I recharged the air conditioner in my Civic and it was easy. All I had to do was buy a little tube that hooks to your A/C line and then buy the coolant.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  SiAdam, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads