Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#32509 - 03/27/03 10:22 PM ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Mississauga
YOUR ITR VALVETRAIN QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a thread dedicated to the repetative valvetrain questions we frequently see in the NA Tuning forum. Many of teh question you might have will be answered here so take the time and digest this information prior to posting a thread regarding a question that is already answered here.

ITR = Integra Type R
The valvetrain consists of the following

8 Outer Intake Valvesprings
8 Inner Intake Valvesprings
8 Outer Exhaust Valvesprings
8 Inner Exhaust Valvesprings
8 Intake Valves
8 Exhaust Valves
16 Retainers

The valvesprings come with a splash of blue or yellow paint on them from the Honda factory. This is to distinguish the intake springs from the exhaust springs.

Intake Springs = Yellow
Exhaust Springs = Blue

ITR valvetrain will fit into any B series DOHC VTEC head.

When upgrading to a larger cam with more lift and duration than stock B16A or GSR cams, upgrading valvesprings is also recommended in order to handle to additional force the cams inflict.

ITR Valvetrain is safe to use with any of the following cams. Consider that the cams will be tuned and will be kept within the ITR valvetrain threshold and the cams peak power parameters.
Meaning, you do not rev a TODA Spec A to 9500 RPM. Not only will you bind the ITR springs, but you will make no power as the cams lobes are not large enough to maintain any type of power producing capabilities. You will go faster and put more power to the ground, if you shift at or slightly above peak power.

What Are Suitable Camshafts For ITR Valvetrain?

OEM Honda Camshafts
JDM Integra Type R (95.5 - 97)
JDM Integra Type R (98 - 01)
USDM Integra Type R (97)
USDM Integra Type R (98 - 01)
Civic Type R (96 - 97)
Civic Type R (98-00)
* yes I realize a lot of these are the same, lets not try to nit pick and keep things as broad and simple as possible.
It is also perfectly fine to use any other DOHC VTEC B series cams with ITR valvetrain, but you will get back to the point of using springs too stiff for your application, and not going to be making power past redline anyways. The best thing to do is use the stock valvetrain for the stock cams.

Aftermarket Camshafts
TODA Spec A
JUN Type II (2)
Spoon Sports
Skunk2 Stage 1
* possibly others that are un named, check out the specs in the cam guide and if similar to the specs of these aftermarket cams "within reason", than assume so or post regarding their valvetrain requirements

Can I Use My Mugen or Spoon Valvetrain With The Camshafts Listed Above?

Most definately. Mugen & Spoon are sister tuning companies of Honda, meaning that a lot of their products are produced by or with Honda.
Speculations regarding Mugen's valvesprings and their differences from the stock ITR valvesprings ahve been claimed. Nothing has yet to be proven enough to convince this individual. They are equally as good as ITR valvesprings if not slightly better. It is rumoured that they may be lighter weight, or slightly different in their exterior coating. Again, no speculations have been "proven" thus far.

I Am On A Budget And Cannot Afford ITR Springs, Is There Anything I Can Do To Run The Cams Listed Above?

Personally I do not think the installation of aftermarket cams should be done on stock B16A or GSR valvetrain. To experience the full benefits of the camshafts you will need to tune them and rev them beyond the 8200 limiter.
I also do not like to "half-ass" anything internally on my engine. In my personal opinion an NA build should be done properly, and if that means spending an extra $200 on valvesprings now, oppose to $1000+ to port & polish and repair my damaged cylinder head later, than I will do so. Its your engine though and you can do what you please.

Here is what you can do if you already have a B16A or GSR. It has been tried and tested, and yes it does work with very few failures reported over the years.

The ITR Exhaust (blue) valvesprings are the equivelant to the B16A INTAKE springs, and are IDENTICAL to the GSR INTAKE springs. This is all according to Acura/Honda part #'s which do not lie.

So what does this all mean, if I have a B16A/GSR and am putting in cams?

You will tranfser your B16A/GSR Intake springs (both inner and outer, 16 total) to the exhaust side of the head. Now you must purchase the ITR Intake springs (both inner and outer, 16 in total) and place them on the intake side of the head. You will keep your stock B16A/GSR retainers and they will fit just fine.

Do I Need To Buy Valvesprings At All?

You can....... But you will have to maintain a stock redline, and be conservative on tuning. The midrage that the cams offer should be okay for stock valvesprings, but the top end will simply crush stock springs.

Again I recommend at least going with the ITR intake, B16A Intake setup as a bare minimum.

What Retainers Should I Use, Or Are Stock Ones Fine?

The choice of retainers is fairly easy. If you plan to stay under 9000 RPM, than stock ITR retainers will be fine. If you wish to rev higher it is recommended to go with a Titanium retainer from an aftermarket company (Ferrea, TODA, JUN, Skunk2 etc...)

Titanium retainers are lighter and stiffer than stock retainers. They like to be reved high and are widely used in larger cam applications. They do have a wear and tear factor that is not as durbale as the OEM retainers.

Nitrade Coatings have been experimented with to help the retainer from scarring or "pitting". If you request mre information than this brief summary on retainers, than please post so. I do not personally know a lot about them.

So I Got My Cams, Valvesprings, Retainers, And They Are Installed. Now What?

With any engine modification you must tune the engine and its management system (ECU) to respond to the changes.

In order to get the best performance out of these aftermarket cams you will need the following.

Adjustable Cam Gears (get the same manufacturer as your cams)
ECU Upgrade (re-chipped OBD1 ECU with appropriate program, Jumper Harness + OBD1 Chipped ECU for OBD2 Users, CTR ECU for OBD2 Users, or a more advanced tuning system like a Hondata or AEM)
Fuel Pressure Regulator
VTEC Controller (VAFC) Fields and Apexi are among the most popular.
DYNO TIME & Butt Dyno (road testing) plays with fuel pressure yourself and play with teh VAFC. Start conservative and progress from there. You will be able to notice a difference when you change things.

What About Additional Modifications I Need To Feel The Benefits Of These Cams? Valves?

Induction System - You will need to bring in more air than your stock filter and airbox will give you. Many people choose a simple intake or icebox. Some go hog ass wild and buy an ARC Induction Box. You get what you pay for, but under most cases a simple intake such as a J's Racing or Comptech Icebox will do nicely.

Header - If you do not have a header that will flow exhauts fumes from the head quicker than stock or a POS USDM DC than you better get one now. Most people opt for a 2.5" collector. This is also know as a JDM header design. 4-2-1 will pull you more midrange and IMO is a better header all around compared to its counterpart a 4-1. If you have money to spend look towards a Spoon, Toda, Mugen etc... If you are on a budget go for an OEM JDM ITR, or a JDM DC 4-1. These are on average $500 cheaper than the Spoon etc. But will make less power, and not look as bling!

Exhaust - 2.5" is best for an NA build. If you are using ITR cams or better than 2.5" will be perfect. Look for a madrel bent exhaust in stainless steel. It will outlast aluminized and isn't too much more to afford. Many muffler shops can make you piping or you can buy from any manufacturer you like the design of. Personally I'm a large fan of the Mugen Twin Loop, and the SMSP.

Hi-Flow Cat or Test Pipe - Match it to your header and exhaust. www.testpipes.com or look for a carsound catalytic converter. Both are offered in 2.5" or 2.25" if you choose.

The above information is all you "really" need to feel the cams and enjoy them. Obviosuly the next step will be to build the block for more compression and port the head for more flow. We are getting ahead of ourselves here and this isn't what the thread is about so we must seize.

What Type Of Power Can I Expect From The Cams Listed Above?

This is a very broad question. All the cams above are designed a little bit differently. For example. The Toda A will make very nice midrange but will not produce the same top end as the Skunk2 Stage 1. They are profiled differently. This is where you need to look at a dyno chart/graph and see where the cams peak, where they start to pull more power than stock, and this way you can help decide on which cams you want to go with.

A lot of people like midrange for daily driving, because the car feels strong up to the VTEC crossover where VTEC will pull the top end. Others like a top end screamer. A Skunk2 Stage 1 cam will have similar profiles to an ITR cam with about equal midrange, the top end however will pull harder and longer than an ITR cam.

Again reading dyno charts and further researching independantly will help you drastically in your decision.

Final thoughts

Before even thinking of cams or an NA build altogether, there are a few things you must remember.
1) The power will not come overnight. An NA build is a process, it is not a bolt on JRSC that will give you 50whp.
2) Mild cams that use ITR valvetrain may not be "enough" for the person in quest of 12's or the extreme speed junkie
3) If you do not tune them properly, you will not make any power, and your car will run like shit. We cannot stress tunign enough.
4) With any modification such as cams, you need to make sure proper maintenece is done and that a routine checkup for things such as cam gear bolts being tight, timing belt wear, valve adjustments, and teh all mighty frequent oil change.

If you do choose to install cams however you will feel the exhiliration of a smooth midrange all the way up to a marval VTEC crossover that will literally "snap" the slience and allow your B series engine to sing her favourite song all the way up until 8600 RPM (considering you have already tuned to this RPM and know you make power here. Remember what we talked about ) Cams rank very high on my list of worthy modifications. After riding on JUN 3's I know what cams are capable of, and just how much a few lobes can make a difference.

Good Luck & Keep Tuning!

Regards
Cal

Edited by MadtownSi (09/23/03 10:57 AM)

Videos
#32510 - 03/27/03 10:24 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

I know it isn't perfect. But somethgin needed to be said. I know I left stuff out and probably fucked some things up. I couldn;t remember what colour the springs were for example.

Anyways this shoudl go with teh rest of the stickies!

It's late and I'm tired

Change anything you want. I;m too tired to care......

#32511 - 03/27/03 10:44 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
smileypaul Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Brampton Ontario Canada
Cal,
thanks for this post.. everything I was confused about, or needed more information on, you've cleared up here. I guess my first step is a b16, then ill follow you're guide.

thanks for your help,

Paul
RE: Batmobile Parking - "Nah, you just pull up, pop your head out the top and say, to whoever's in front of you, "excuse me, you're in my parking spot"...and then you hit the button for the machine guns to pop up." --NOHC

#32512 - 03/28/03 10:05 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
SiRGodfather Offline
Poster

Loc: On The Edge
Great post. Very informative, but I just have one minor question. For a mild NA set-up (CTR/ITR cams, S2 1s, Toda As, etc.) isn't it more advantageous to have 2 1/4" piping all the way through then it is to have 2.5"? With 2.5" piping on a mild set-up isn't there a lack of back pressure resulting in a loss of low-mid range torque? Yea yea, I know its a honda (no torque to begin with blah blah), but isn't this true??

#32513 - 03/28/03 11:09 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
00tec Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Jersey
WOW this was a HUGE help!!! Thank you!!!

#32514 - 03/28/03 11:36 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
samkarp Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee WI
Grear job Cal, I could not have said it better myself. This will be part of the new NA Tuning sticky post when that is finalized.

#32515 - 03/28/03 12:26 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

Thanks boys!

Regarding the 2.5" exhaust. Generally after the mods listed you will be in teh region of 160 and possibly more whp. 2.5 is good if you want to eventually upgrade compression and port the head aswell.

Its your call. 2.25" will work great for stock compression and the cams listed above.

#32516 - 03/28/03 12:57 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
C-Lo Offline
Post Master

Loc: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
GREAT POST CAL!

my only question was regarding this...

Quote:

The choice of retainers is fairly easy. If you plan to stay under 9000 RPM, than stock ITR retainers will be fine.

do you mean i still need to get ITR retainers? or did you mean the stock retainers are okay? just wanted to clarify...

#32517 - 03/28/03 03:06 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
kengs Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: JDM Heaven
Great thread Sam Jr.

One thing I would add is that nowhere on the Toda (Japan) website does it mention using Ti retainers; only Toda valvesprings and reprogrammed ECU for Spec B/C cams.

#32518 - 03/28/03 03:39 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
OSOKWIK Offline
Jr Member

It answered a couple of questions I had. Nice job.
'99 SI, Skunk2 cam gear,ITR valvetrain, cams, intake manifold, and throttle body, AEM cai, DC 4-1, Race cat., Greddy Evo., Hondata s200 w/ 3 step Many hours on the dyno tunning it.... 08/18/03: 157.8 whp 107.7 wtq

#32519 - 03/28/03 03:59 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

Quote:

Great thread Sam Jr.

One thing I would add is that nowhere on the Toda (Japan) website does it mention using Ti retainers; only Toda valvesprings and reprogrammed ECU for Spec B/C cams.

Well they are always an option. I tried to keep on topic with only the Spec A's. It wasn't regarding B/C, but I see what you are saying. Didn't I say I knew dick about retainers?

Carlo - The stock B16A retainers will do fine

#32520 - 03/28/03 04:25 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
illCivicSi Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Port St Lucie, FL
Yeah thanks for postin this...really helped out a bunch!! later

#32521 - 03/28/03 05:02 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
tommySI Offline

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Best post ev4r?

Well it is up there right along with Sam's write ups!
Great JOB!!!

#32522 - 03/28/03 06:41 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
00tec Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Quote:

Great thread Sam Jr.

Well they are always an option. I tried to keep on topic with only the Spec A's. It wasn't regarding B/C, but I see what you are saying. Didn't I say I knew dick about retainers?

Carlo - The stock B16A retainers will do fine

Are the b16 retainers, and the ITR retainers the same??? Even if the ITR retainers are slightly better, I mine as well change them out while i do the valve train. Unless the b16a retainers are the exact same.

Please clarify...

Thanks

#32523 - 03/29/03 01:00 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
vsmcivic_rida Offline

MMmm i want nice midrange. So i guess its gonna be between skunk stage1 , spec a, ctr

Also i was wondering if someone would hold a camshaft wit their bare hands would this damage it, just incase i buy used.

#32524 - 03/29/03 04:02 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

Quote:

Also i was wondering if someone would hold a camshaft wit their bare hands would this damage it, just incase i buy used.

Midrange Toda A will own. No you cannot damage a camshaft by holding it, unless your hands are composed of molten lava and the shaft literally melts.

Regarding the B16A retainers I am not sure if they are identical to ITR. I will look into this and get back to you. As far as ITR cams in a B16A, the B16A retainers have been proven to be fine.

#32525 - 03/29/03 05:57 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
00tec Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Quote:

Midrange Toda A will own. No you cannot damage a camshaft by holding it, unless your hands are composed of molten lava and the shaft literally melts.

Regarding the B16A retainers I am not sure if they are identical to ITR. I will look into this and get back to you. As far as ITR cams in a B16A, the B16A retainers have been proven to be fine.

See i don't know now...

According to a post on here that I found today and can't seem to find again now, the part numbers on both the b16a retainers, and ITR retainers were exactly the same...

#32526 - 03/30/03 01:27 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
vsmcivic_rida Offline

I put on some 17s n man the car feels so slow.
#32527 - 03/30/03 04:53 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
Beave0101 Offline
servant of egosgame

Loc: San Diego
Quote:

ITR Valvetrain

<------Requesting info on ITR LMA's

#32528 - 03/30/03 01:25 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

^ I figured someone would. The reason I did not include the ITR LMA's is because most of the time the B16A/GSR LMA's will do just fine. We saw Madtown_Si run Toda B's on stock LMA's for pover a year with no regrets and a stiff valvetrain.

Also for the fact that they are not cheap ($257?) and genereally people who buy mil cams are on a budget. "generally".

#32529 - 03/30/03 01:46 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
Beave0101 Offline
servant of egosgame

Loc: San Diego
Cool. The B is also more of a crazy midrange cam.....my use will be for something high revving like JUN III's, skunk2 stage II's, and i'm not sure if i should spend the cash to get get these....if they're really worth it......(with at least a 9k redline.....)
#32530 - 03/30/03 02:13 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

I would. May as well. As Scoot who has used them and hasn't or anyone else who has. I know a memeber runs Skunk2 Stage 3 and still retains B16A LMA's.

My friend uses the GSR LMA wih a JUN 3 for a few years now with mo regrets.

Its up to you

#32531 - 06/20/03 01:55 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
baisaacs Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Burnsville MN
ive got some 14751-p72-003 and 14761-p72-003 and all are blue....what are they from? Will they work ok with my CTR cams?

www.mnsportcompacts.net

#32532 - 06/20/03 02:42 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

Don't quote me, but the P72 tells me that they are GSR springs.

Now both are blue you said? Thats odd. This means you got two pairs of exhaust springs.

You will need ITR intake and exhaust springs to support CTR cams. If you plan to keep the stock redline on your computer considering its 8200 or less, than the springs will be fine if you get a set of GSR intake springs.

If you plan to use the cam to full advantage, get ITR intake and use GSR intake as exhaust or ITR exhausts

#32533 - 06/20/03 02:42 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
cvclover Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: NYC
What sould the new redline be with Toda B's? 9300?

Could anyone make a post about building the block for compression?

#32534 - 06/20/03 03:58 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

Quote:

What sould the new redline be with Toda B's? 9300?

That really has nothing to do with this thread.

Ive seen B's make power to 9K (or so they've told me)

But generally you will start to see the power dip after 8500

So I'd think 9K is good enough, 9300 if you really wish

#32535 - 06/20/03 06:39 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
APRcivic Offline
Post Master

Loc: Irving,Tx,USA
Bravo, bravo.. Nice post..
Just a note, we just ordered a set of Ti Retainers from Crower. We talked to Brian Crower and asked him about the 'wear' problem. He said last years retainers had a bad problem because they use too soft of titanium and people were very displeased. He said this year the price went up about 30% but he claimed that this years are a much higher grade titanium and should last as much as 3 times longer than last years before they show signs of wear...
Once again awesome post...

#32536 - 06/23/03 08:05 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
baisaacs Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Don't quote me, but the P72 tells me that they are GSR springs.

Now both are blue you said? Thats odd. This means you got two pairs of exhaust springs.

You will need ITR intake and exhaust springs to support CTR cams. If you plan to keep the stock redline on your computer considering its 8200 or less, than the springs will be fine if you get a set of GSR intake springs.

If you plan to use the cam to full advantage, get ITR intake and use GSR intake as exhaust or ITR exhausts

interesting. so all i need to do is order 8 pieces of each of the ITR intake side? so that probably is the same numbers, but a P73. Then use the P72's on the exhaust side and sell the leftovers or trade.

i feel st00pid.

www.mnsportcompacts.net

#32537 - 06/23/03 10:21 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

Wrong. You will need the ITR intake springs , and either the ITR Exhaust Springs OR the GSR Intake Springs.

Basically you have 2 sets of GSR exhaust springs, which are useless when using ITR cams

#32538 - 06/23/03 05:46 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
baisaacs Offline
Jr Member

Quote:

Wrong. You will need the ITR intake springs , and either the ITR Exhaust Springs OR the GSR Intake Springs.

Basically you have 2 sets of GSR exhaust springs, which are useless when using ITR cams

ok, no biggie since i got them dirt cheap. on itrca.coma they have the ones ive got listed for inner/outer exhaust?? What are the part numbers for that I need. thanks.

www.mnsportcompacts.net

#32539 - 06/25/03 10:01 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
illCivicSi Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Port St Lucie, FL
what are skunk2 s1 cams supposed to make power up to?? Also PEAK power?? (roughly) thanks!

#32540 - 06/25/03 12:10 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

8500 peak
8700 producing

I don't really know. Dyno them for Christ sakes

#32541 - 07/07/03 04:05 AM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
Em1_SiR Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Just had a quick question...I recently installed ITR cams w/ vavletrain...I have also a spoon header w/ cold air...Replaced my lma's and timing belt also...But my engine light is coming on...tested it and it said that my car is running too rich not enough oxygen coming in...what could help this prob? Vafc? If i don't use to vtec wire on the vafc can i just use Safc to adjust it?
Thanx

#32542 - 07/28/03 12:04 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
cruzersi99 Offline
Post Master

What is the threshold of ITR Valvesprings assuming CTR Cams?

#32543 - 07/28/03 02:44 PM Re: ITR Valvetrain + Mild Cams (FAQ)
JDM Civic Offline
Post Master Sr

Quote:

What is the threshold of ITR Valvesprings assuming CTR Cams?

8800rpm, if you want a psi of the spring compression at binding point, I don't know

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Runnin@Redline Jr, Dr. BrokenLimits, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads