Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#23413 - 02/10/03 01:38 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
Bjorn Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Minneapolis
I've found out that SRR cup kit rates are 7k/5k and the S1's are 8k/8k (1 kg/cm=56 lbs./in.). You made it known that high spring rates in the rear aren't bad, possibly even desirably, but wouldn't it made the rear more skittish, more prone to swing wide.
I've only heard of using rear rates equal to or higher than front rates in road race or drag situations. Neither of those apps. would care about ride quality, and road racers would actually want a rear end that might get nearly out of control, but would the ride quality and performance be decent for the street, all things being equal? With the S1's, I'd probably want to set my Comptech rear bar to full soft, right?
Please offer any insights you might have.

Videos
#23414 - 02/18/03 02:01 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
DXmike Offline
Poster

Loc: Mississauga
anyone know the rates for H&R Race? Linear or progressive?

thanks

#23415 - 02/22/03 02:16 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
Bjorn - high performance and streetable comfort cannot co-exist when talking about suspension. One will be sacrificed for the other. You could have a sport setup which would give a balance or both but for me, that's neither here nor there.

If you go with the S1's expect an extremely harsh ride for daily driving. Your car will rattle and things will loosen up over time. And if you start pushing your car on the street, I guarentee you will end up in an accident. Then you can PM me and sell me your car goodies

Remember this, most autoX or road-race circuits are on pretty flat/level ground. The streets are nothing like that. There are potholes, speed bumps and all sorts of weird shit. Street suspension is meant to absorb most of than and help maintain a good contact patch between tire and road.

#23416 - 02/22/03 08:34 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
Bjorn Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Minneapolis
thanks for the reply - you mighta just saved me from making a mistake
#23417 - 03/10/03 01:04 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
SiCiViC624 Offline

Loc: davic, ca, usa
What does the spring rate tell you about the comfort of the ride? Is it supposed to be as close to the stock ones as possible? I'm confused
#23418 - 03/12/03 12:02 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
Anonymous
Unregistered

A lot of comfort has to do with shocks and shock settings as well. Keep in mind comfort is subjective, but lower (closer to stock) spring rates are generally more 'comfy'.

In laymans terms spring rates are listed in pounds per inch, i.e. a 290 lb/in rate spring would take 290 lbs to compress it one inch, and 580 lbs. to compress it two inches etc. Basically the higher the spring rates are the harder the spring is to compress, so the suspension feels more stiff.

I know there are a lot more factors and also wheel rates to take into consideration but I wanted to offer a simple explanation.

#23419 - 03/26/03 12:07 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
vbphreak Offline

Loc: hamilton
Any listings for 5Zigen?

#23420 - 03/26/03 06:24 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
donz Offline
Jr Member

Loc: calgary, alberta canada
hey hondaman, ok this maybe noobie, but what does a linear spring look like? is it the ones that have coils which are spaced closer at one end or the other, or is there really no way of telling? i only know what my civic has the uniform ones but i don't know what the other ones are.

#23421 - 04/03/03 03:42 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
M_Laver Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Winston, ga, usa
I'm interested in the spring rate for Tokico's Advanced Handling kit. Anyone know what it is?

#23422 - 04/06/03 08:35 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
Manny2KSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The Dirty South..... "Florida"
Quote:

hey hondaman, ok this maybe noobie, but what does a linear spring look like? is it the ones that have coils which are spaced closer at one end or the other, or is there really no way of telling? i only know what my civic has the uniform ones but i don't know what the other ones are.

yeah since he asked...
i was wondering the same thing...

I need this info cuz i need new springs...

thanks
Is it 4:20 yet??

#23423 - 04/07/03 03:05 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
aesir Offline
Post Master

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone know the spring rates on the Apex-i N1s?
#23424 - 04/17/03 07:22 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

What year CTR and are you sure they are linear in the rear? I remember a post a while ago with someone who ordered some CTR springs and I swear they were progressive in the rear (like ITRs).

this site says that CTR springs are 240F / 240R (L/P)

slightly softer than ITR's and linear front / progressive rear just like the ITR's. i got CTR springs/shocks and the rear definately looks/feels progressive. the car feels more neutral in turns, and off-throttle oversteer is more apparent

also, on the same site ( http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6282/modifications.html - halfway down) it says Spoon full coilovers are at 300/240

Adi

#23425 - 04/17/03 07:25 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

i dont know much myself, but linear springs should look like most cheaper coilovers... the distance between each coil is more or less the same. with progressive springs, this distance usually changes as you go up/down the spring.

ps- i see on the list above that you excluded 98 ITR's? were they diff spring rates? i know there were no 99s but 98s should have the same spring rates right?

Adi

#23426 - 05/11/03 09:21 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
ek44 Offline
Post Master

Loc: toronto
h&r race springs for 96-00 civics?
h&r race springs for 94 + integras?

thx.

#23427 - 05/21/03 02:43 PM more rates gold-line and Tokico ill kit
M_Laver Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Winston, ga, usa
gold-line
gl 2.25 drop 320/190
gps 1.25 drop 275-160

Tokico illumina kit
250/123

#23428 - 05/29/03 06:27 PM Re: more rates gold-line and Tokico ill kit
jdircksen Offline
Post Master Sr

According to this:
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.cfm/partfamilyid/368

the Progress Sports are progressive.

#23429 - 05/31/03 04:45 PM Re: more rates gold-line and Tokico ill kit
cj99si Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Maine
Ok there are spring rates listed for coilovers. My question is where are spring rates taken from. are they taken with the spring compressed all the way for like a 3 inch drop or are they taken uncompressed at a stock height.
-Corey

99 Si/ KILLED!
99 A4 Quattro APR 1 bar
05 Tacoma TRD sport

#23430 - 06/01/03 06:26 PM Re: more rates gold-line and Tokico ill kit
L8apex Offline

Loc: SoCal
With any coilover system, all you adjust is the spring perch height, not the tension. Turning the collar does not compress the spring, the vehicle's weight does that. Whether you set the collar all the way down or all the way up, the spring's tension will remain the same.

#23431 - 06/07/03 04:56 PM Re: more rates gold-line and Tokico ill kit
BOOMER Offline
Post Master Jr

i didnt catch spring rates for H&R race for 92-95 civic or 94+ integra.... please post
#23432 - 06/20/03 11:36 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
ChasingAmy Offline
Poster

Loc: OR
you guys know a jdm brand kg/mm??? it's pretty stiff and good looking...
00 si (perfect conditon) rims with stock tires (30% left) 400 + shipping 00 EX cluster with indiglo guages, the milege meter is not working.. everything is fine. Will accept any offer Zeal function basic, height adjustable, but not damping. Used around 7000 miles. Email/PM me for pics and info. Fit DC2/EG6 or eg with type R rear LCAs

#23433 - 07/18/03 01:31 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
idfubar Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Concord, CA
Are these pre-load or post-load rates?

#23434 - 08/06/03 09:46 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
LegoZ 81 Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Richardson, Tx US
you can call H&R for info on their springs.
http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html <-- For the #

#23435 - 08/09/03 03:22 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
RZFD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Fuck ya'll, I'm from Texas.
How about appx. lowering ht?
#23436 - 08/13/03 09:32 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
RZFD Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Fuck ya'll, I'm from Texas.
Koni RSK suspension kit: 154-205/270 (P/L).
#23437 - 08/14/03 02:02 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
PEM Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: orange county 714
nice list, but i still kinda lost
#23438 - 09/13/03 02:10 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
#Tuna No Crust Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: OC CAli
Quote:

linear springs produces a linear feedback. for example, a 300 rated spring dampers the car 300lbs/inch no matter how many incheds the spring troubles.
however, proggresive springs produces more like an exponential feedback, for example, the more the spring compreses the more resistance the spring will make/do.

so basicaly, if you take a turn at 15 mph, a progresive spring will only use 50% of its full rate. but if you make the same turn at 35mph, the spring will use it full rate.
but linear spring use their full rate at all the time, no matter how the spring compreses.

linear springs are more rough for normal driving and pretty stiff in light turns, but you oviously see that progressive springs are more comfy for normal driving and great for cornering as well.

#23439 - 09/23/03 09:07 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
2kstreetcivic Offline
Major Member

Loc: Nor Cal
great list man

#23440 - 11/19/03 01:29 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
Plik Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Texas
Quote:

Koni RSK suspension kit: 154-205/270 (P/L).

some more info.. springs in the RSK kit are made by Vogtland.
Ive had them on my car for 5 months now and no sag. still happy with the kit

#23441 - 11/20/03 03:35 PM Sofsports have a HIGHER rate than OE sports
JasonCSBB Offline

FYI

The spring rates given above for the Neuspeed Sofsports VS. the H&R OE Sports is MISLEADING. They are quoted in the first post, with higher rates for the OE Sports. Hondaman, pls. add a comment to the first post.

I've tried them both, and the Sofsports are definitely FIRMER. They have exactly the same wire diameter, overall diameter, and number of coils. HOWEVER, the way they're wound, the Sofsports have more coils bunched up at one end, which close up when the car is at rest. The Sofsports are then left with fewer active coils than the H&R's, so the resulting spring rate is higher. The H&R's at rest have 2 coils almost closed up, while the Sofsports have 4 coils closed completely while at rest. Assuming they use the same metal, that would make the Sofsport spring rates about 20% more than the H&R's. The resulting ride quality confirms the theory.

The Sofsports also sag within a few days by about 0.5", so the resulting lowering is more than advertised, than theh H&R's. The H&R's did not sag.

Which is the better spring? I am NOT a fan of slammed cars because they do NOT handle well on real roads. Ride quality sucks, and they bottom out and skitter and get upset on midcorner bumps. I do track days, autoxes, and canyon carving. Race cars are slammed because racetracks are smooth and they use super firm springs which ride very rough.

Of all the suspension mods on my '97 HX, the springs had the LEAST effect on the handling - the Koni yellows and the ST rear-only swaybar had the greatest effect, then the caster increase, the tires, then the springs last. The Sofsport's ride quality is borderline sucky and did nothing for handling over the H&R OE Sports.

Disclaimer: My HX is not my main "performance" car, it is my daily driver, and I could NOT stand the god-awful dead-fish handling from the factory. (Shame on Honda.. Sentras and Proteges are much more fun-to-drive from the factory without much penalty in comfort)

#23442 - 12/02/03 08:11 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
Huggy Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
Okay - I beleive the list is up to date. Anything that is posted wrong was given to me wrong so don't cry to me. If you want something added or corrected, post the info here. If you want something changed, give me proof otherwise the info stays as posted.

#23443 - 12/02/03 07:46 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
Neo Noodle Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Honolulu, HI
Found this in a search...
Quote:

The rates for an EG are 430/330 and for an ek 485/395 (I think). I ride with H&R Race and yellows and it is a superb ride, I have had it for about 4 months now and am loving it. The drop is about 2.5 to 2.75 when they are settled. (this is on an EG)

Posted by chillax
"You are what you eat."

#23444 - 12/09/03 02:13 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
marshun Offline
Poster

i was looking for spring rates for h22 swapped ek's. i know progress makes them but i havent gotten an answer from them about the spring rates.

are there other brands? and what are their spring rates? i dont wanna bounce around when i do the swap

#23445 - 12/10/03 08:40 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
dilbert Offline
Post Master

Loc: SW Ontario
the rate for teh Tokico Illumina kit is posted up but what car is it for? I figure a civic, but I was wondering if the kit for a 90 crx would be different, I figure it would because of the large weight difference. so... Can someone find that possibly?

Thanks.

cliff notes:
Tokico illumina advanced handling kit for 90 crx. (prt # -> ILK216)

#23446 - 12/30/03 01:29 AM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
sexypants Offline
Post Master

Hey I had this link that had a lot of spring rates and spring info on it. Hope it helps.
http://php.indiana.edu/~bchang/Pics/Spring_Rate_Table.html

#23447 - 01/05/04 12:45 PM Re: Spring Rates Listed Here
spencer Offline
Jr Member

Loc: TORONTO, ON
Quote:

SSR Cup - 392/280
SSR S1 - 448/448

are these "SSR" or "SRR" springs ??? "SRR" regarding to this http://www.srr-racing.com/product.htm

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Moderator:  Huggy, Runnin@Redline Jr, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads