Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#148988 - 11/21/05 03:03 AM Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs anythin
DiGBiC Offline
Post Master Sr

Just curious. I know this has been covered many times before. I tried to search but could not find anything.

I have seen numerous pictures of tinted tail lights as well as spray painted ones. What works the best?

Also would it be good to tint the entire tail light (Brake and turn signal area) or just the bottom half (turn signal area)? Some pics would be nice, if you have any to share.

Visit Sponsors! Help CSi !
#148989 - 11/21/05 03:30 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs anythin
TranZenD si 209 Offline
Major Member

Loc: Stockton, CA
heres mine.. i use smoke transparent vinyl. cant find a closer picture.. this is the most recent picture i got. i had on for over a year and not a single problem with peeling fading or bubbling.. still looks good as the day i put it on.

#148990 - 11/21/05 10:14 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
zdizzle Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: TEXAS the friendly state
Sweet........ u should make a "how to" and post it n 2 the TipsNtricKs

#148991 - 11/21/05 11:08 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

Loc: NJ, United States
i wouldnt mind also tinting out my tail lights as well. Right now they're stock but is it easy to do? If you could tells how to do this and what materials we would have to buy this would be helpful. thanks.
2000 MR EM1 Si -CTR front grille -OEM front lip -DC Sports front strut bar -Skunk2 Racing short throw shift kit -Tokico white shocks with red lowering springs -Password JDM chamber intake -CTR armrest cover -CTR E-Brake boot -'03 front & rear Si emblems -CTR style headlights -OEM foglights w/foglight trick -Greddy EVO 2 exhaust system -Akebono ceramic brake pads fr/rr R.I.P. 2000 Honda Civic Si. Gone but NEVER forgotten... Goodbye to my EM1. 10/9/06

#148992 - 11/21/05 01:43 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs anythin
DiGBiC Offline
Post Master Sr

Thanks for the picture Anek. Where did you get the transparent Vinyl at? And I can see that you only tinted the turn signal part. Looks pretty good!

#148993 - 11/21/05 06:32 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs anythin
drisken Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Pa
i used vht nightshades spray to do mine . . . . the nice thing is you control how dark you want to make it, and once the turn signal or backup light comes on, it shines through as if nothing is even there!! i think it was like $6 or something like that . . . here's 3 pictures lol . . .

sorry for the size of two of those, i didn't realize they weren't resized!

Edited by drisken (11/21/05 06:42 PM)

#148994 - 11/21/05 09:20 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
HCivic02 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: CA
^ that doesnt look that well up close.

Best way I have expierenced is just get some tint and stick it on the tail lights.

#148995 - 11/21/05 10:01 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

would you stick the tint on the outside or inner part of the tail lights. And i assume you mean on the clear turn signal/backup part of the lights right not the red part?
2000 MR EM1 Si -CTR front grille -OEM front lip -DC Sports front strut bar -Skunk2 Racing short throw shift kit -Tokico white shocks with red lowering springs -Password JDM chamber intake -CTR armrest cover -CTR E-Brake boot -'03 front & rear Si emblems -CTR style headlights -OEM foglights w/foglight trick -Greddy EVO 2 exhaust system -Akebono ceramic brake pads fr/rr R.I.P. 2000 Honda Civic Si. Gone but NEVER forgotten... Goodbye to my EM1. 10/9/06

#148996 - 11/22/05 12:09 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
drisken Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

^ that doesnt look that well up close.

Best way I have expierenced is just get some tint and stick it on the tail lights.

they really don't look that nice in that picture, if you want i can take another close up, i think i may clearcoat them though . . . that was just the only closeup i had of them . . . the ones i have seen with actual tint on them didn't allow the light to shine through as well which was why i went that route . . . let me know if you want another pic, and if i clear them (like i should have in the first place lol) i'll take before and afters . . .

Quote:

would you stick the tint on the outside or inner part of the tail lights. And i assume you mean on the clear turn signal/backup part of the lights right not the red part?

obviously you would do it on the outside, you could do the whole light or just a portion, whichever you prefer . . . imo just the bottom half looks better and is less of a cop attractant . . .

Edited by drisken (11/22/05 12:09 AM)

#148997 - 11/22/05 01:12 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
drisken Offline
Sr Member

i lied . . . . i found a couple more pictures . . . . dont mind the smashed up corner piece, i've been trying to find one in EBP but haven't been having any luck, it got smashed when the ricer bumper that was on the car when i got it caught on a bump and pushed it up smashing it, and my old taillight . . . here's two more pics anyway . . . i may have went a little heavy on the spray, but you can control that, either way the light shines through like it's not even there at night . . .

ps and yes i know the car is filthy in those pictures too

Edited by drisken (11/22/05 01:12 AM)

#148998 - 11/22/05 02:02 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
DiGBiC Offline
Post Master Sr

Yo Anek, Did you tint your tail lights from the inside or the outside? Where'd you get the clear Vinyl at? Lemme know.

#148999 - 11/26/05 03:07 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
TranZenD si 209 Offline
Major Member

its on the outside and i got the vinyl from ebay but that was a over a year ago and they person is not selling them no more. but the vinyls are made by oracal ..online shops sell them in large sizes but check local sign shops.

#149000 - 11/26/05 04:17 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

TranZenDsi 209,
Wow i can't believe that you put the tint on the outside of your taillights. I thought you would've put them on the inside. Do they ever come off I mean in the rain or snow? What kind of online shops would have them? Do you know of any links?

#149001 - 11/26/05 09:30 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
HCivic02 Offline
Post Master Supreme

Quote:

TranZenDsi 209,
Wow i can't believe that you put the tint on the outside of your taillights. I thought you would've put them on the inside. Do they ever come off I mean in the rain or snow? What kind of online shops would have them? Do you know of any links?

They are fine on the outside...ive had tint on the outside of my old civic for a while...just go to kragen or some local auto parts store and pick up tint

#149002 - 11/26/05 10:17 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

TranZenD si 209, i was wondering if you could show me a few more pics of what your tail lights look like up close maybe cause my Si is also red obviously so it'll look the same as yours do wich i like a lot by the way.

#149003 - 11/27/05 09:47 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
CIVIC dude Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Use smoked color transparent vinyl, it looks a thousand times better then the spray paint!

#149004 - 11/27/05 09:51 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
hkt03 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Chicago, IL
i like the smoked color better, i gotta find some of that stuff..

#149005 - 11/27/05 10:01 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

hkt03,
I'm with you man. I've also got to find that tint vinyl stuff cause I also really like the look of that. If you find any websites before I do, send me a link if you can. Thanks.

#149006 - 11/27/05 10:27 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
CIVIC dude Offline
Post Master Supreme

The vinyl i used was from a company called oracal. here is their website: http://www.oracal.com/index.jsp

#149007 - 11/27/05 10:41 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
hkt03 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:

The vinyl i used was from a company called oracal. here is their website: http://www.oracal.com/index.jsp

nice.. found a distributor.

thanks for that link

#149008 - 11/28/05 07:50 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

Ok thanks man. I appreciate the link.

#149009 - 11/28/05 08:42 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
drisken Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

Use smoked color transparent vinyl, it looks a thousand times better then the spray paint!

<<< will be switching to that in the near future . . . HOT

#149010 - 11/28/05 01:32 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

yeah, i must say that the tint on the tail lights looks amazing! I'm definitley going to be getting that as soon as I can. I just have to find a place online that sells them.If you can though, post up some more pictures of your car from different angles maybe so that i can get a better idea of what it looks like. The tint goes on the outside of the taillight correct?

#149011 - 11/28/05 04:29 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
HCivic02 Offline
Post Master Supreme

YES THE TINT GOES ON THE OUTSIDE. LOL.

#149012 - 11/28/05 07:07 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
drisken Offline
Sr Member

Quote:

yeah, i must say that the tint on the tail lights looks amazing! I'm definitley going to be getting that as soon as I can. I just have to find a place online that sells them.If you can though, post up some more pictures of your car from different angles maybe so that i can get a better idea of what it looks like. The tint goes on the outside of the taillight correct?

this is seriously why you get flamed all the time!!! even when you do ask an ok question, you then continue to keep asking the same fucking thing!!!!! HE GAVE YOU A LINK TO BUY ITTTTTTTT AND IT HAS BEEN SAID IT GOES ON THE OUTSIDE, NOW, IF YOU DONT HAVE ANY 'NEW' QUESTIONS ABOUT IT, PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP . . . . and everyone else, sorry for yelling, his shit is starting to get real old . . .

#149013 - 11/28/05 09:00 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

ok ok im sorry yet again. I realize that these are stupid and repeatative questions to be asking but I just want to get my information down so that I know what I am buying and how to put it on. I try not to be annoying but sometimes it just happens that I do ask stupid questions sometimes. Again, I DO NOT mean to sound stupid/annoying at all believe me I don't. Sometimes i just don't think out my questions that I'm going to ask long enough which I have to do more of. And this is not a way for me trying to excuse my behavior at all.

#149014 - 11/28/05 11:53 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
jay619 Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: San Diego,Ca
your a fucking dumbass thats all, no need to get all apologetic about it
This thread is gayer than hurricane Liberace blowing all the nuts off the palm trees in Homoville while Richard Simmons reads the weather forecast on WGAY & uses a giant dildo as his pointer for the board, telling you all about it. -NOHC

#149015 - 11/29/05 01:03 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
DiGBiC Offline
Post Master Sr

Wow. You guys on your periods?

Back on topic....Would some of the tint available at lets say Walmart work as well?

Edit: 1500th Post Bishes!

I kind of want to black out the 'brake' section of the light as well, maybe someone has pictures over here with the enitre tail light blacked out to get an idea if it looks good or not.

Edited by Bagarbilla (11/29/05 01:05 AM)

#149016 - 11/29/05 06:50 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

I wouldn't mind seeing what the brake light section looks like tinted out also but I don't think that I would be tinting that section out though.

#149017 - 11/29/05 03:47 PM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
CIVIC dude Offline
Post Master Supreme

i tried regular tint, and although some people had success with it, i did not.

I reccomend the vinyl stuff as it is easier to work with as it is essentially a sticker!

#149018 - 11/30/05 06:39 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

I'm looking to buy some vinyl tinting from here. Tell me what you guys think about this website. I was going to give them a call today since they don't have any cuts made for the 99-00 Si. I was hoping that they could make me some. THey do sell it by the bulk, but I don't want to have to cut it myself. That's what their machines are for, precise lines.

#149019 - 11/30/05 07:36 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
TranZenD si 209 Offline
Major Member

^^ dont use those for tailights.. its way too thick. i got those vinyl in yellow for my fogs.. good for my fogs though because they are thick to protect freeway rocks..

#149020 - 11/30/05 09:49 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

TranZenD si 209, did you do anything to 'red' out your taillights at all I mean the red portion of it? I was also thinking of going with http://www.instylegraphics.com/index.asp?cas=1& What do you think of those?

#149021 - 12/01/05 01:31 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
TranZenD si 209 Offline
Major Member

the 3m clear bra are thick also.. about the thickness of the stickercity vinyls. not sure what u mean by red out the red portion. try going to a local vinyl shop and ask them for some transparent vinyl.

#149022 - 12/01/05 08:00 AM Re: Blacking out Tail lights: Best way? Tint vs spray vs any
RedSiRacer Offline
Jr Member

I just mean that the red portion of your tail lights don't look stock for some reason. Did you lessen the redness or someting? I know that sounds weird but that's just the way it looks. Did yiou take a look at that link? THat's where I'm THinking of ordering from. Are those the kind of tinted vinyl's that i Should be using?

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Dr. BrokenLimits, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads