Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1229444 - 04/06/07 05:28 AM Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly?
jodyjr1980 Offline

What is the biggest shot that someone can use regularly w/out shortning the life of their engine, by a whole lot?

For Instance, Is there a formula that is good as a, "general rule of thumb", mabey like 25HP for every stock 100HP your engine has or is there some other way to calculate the highest "recomended" or "engine safe" shot?

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appereciated, Please also explain why your numbers are safe, or how you came up with your answer, or were the information comes from. Thanks!!!

Support Stanford Folding@Home with your PS3 and Join my Team #61393 Smokey The Bear and Friend’s
All I want for chrismas is a demonoid.com invatation! Someone PM Me Please!!

Videos
#1231099 - 04/06/07 05:44 PM Re: Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly? [Re: jodyjr1980]
ScottStaypuff Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ohio
On a stock engine most nitrous manufacturers recommend no more than 25hp per cylinder. A 75hp shot on a four cylinder is way safe. Just ask around about the "other" things your car may need, colder plugs, maybe a high volume fuel pump, etc.

For the record I did a 100 shot on my Neon with lots of bolt ons and cams and was fine for over two years. I used a progressive controller though.

#1270439 - 04/17/07 10:10 PM Re: Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly [Re: ScottStaypuff]
TeamFreshstyles Offline
Poster

Loc: San Diego
If you tune the car properly, you can run a big shot on a 4cyl. there isnt a set equation I know of. But I do know that its recommended not to run more than a 75 shot on 4cyls that are not set up for boost, 150shot on a V6, and V8+s are pretty much open game but even they have a limit. But remember, these are for stock internals

#1285089 - 04/22/07 08:53 PM Re: Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly [Re: TeamFreshstyles]
civicflnum1 Offline

Loc: Ft.Lauderdale, FL
You cant go by how high of a shot. It doesnt work that way. Its hard to say how long it will last but look at it this way. a 100shot could last as long as a 200 shot with a progressive controller. When the nitrous is engaged it creates a lot of cylinder pressure and that is what usually causes an engine to fail. With a progressive controller it ramps the nitrous in so there isnt such a large "hit". Even though you are running twice the amount of nitrous it could be just as safe.

If you want to use just a nitrous kit and dont want to use a progressive controller or any thing then start off with a 50 or 75 shot. But run colder plugs, a better fuel pump, go with a wet kit, and use a WOT switch and a window switch.

Just check the plugs....they will tell you everything.

Hope that helps.

BTW i am not saying use a 200 shot if you have a progressive controller i was just using it as an example.

Trent

98 Camaro - 364ci bottom end, LS6 heads, Custom Comp nitrous cam, Built 4L60E, 3600 stall, and just a little bit of nitrous.

#1544403 - 06/14/07 08:40 PM Re: Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly [Re: civicflnum1]
del_slo Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Bottom of the boooot
Originally Posted By: civicflnum1
You cant go by how high of a shot. It doesnt work that way. Its hard to say how long it will last but look at it this way. a 100shot could last as long as a 200 shot with a progressive controller. When the nitrous is engaged it creates a lot of cylinder pressure and that is what usually causes an engine to fail. With a progressive controller it ramps the nitrous in so there isnt such a large "hit". Even though you are running twice the amount of nitrous it could be just as safe.

If you want to use just a nitrous kit and dont want to use a progressive controller or any thing then start off with a 50 or 75 shot. But run colder plugs, a better fuel pump, go with a wet kit, and use a WOT switch and a window switch.

Just check the plugs....they will tell you everything.

Hope that helps.

BTW i am not saying use a 200 shot if you have a progressive controller i was just using it as an example.

Trent

this guy knows what he is talkin about.... 4 cylinders also make more vibrations than other motors with more cylinders (common sense)...and an N20 motor usually pops right when u engage the nitrous from the "shock" of that extra 75 or so extra ft. lbs..... decrease the shock = less wear

Edited by del_slo (06/14/07 08:41 PM)

#2793456 - 07/04/08 07:33 PM Re: Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly [Re: del_slo]
TechLs1 Offline

50hp/cylinder is a good enough gain for me. thanks for the info guys, i have been wondering about this for a while.
#2805138 - 07/09/08 10:22 AM Re: Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly [Re: TechLs1]
SPDRSR1 Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: DALLAS, TX, USA
I think the highest I ran on my 00 Si was 175...but I had titanium internals, colder plugs, cams, and the most important...fuel pump and fuel press. safety switch. Do it right before you run juice and you can run as much as you want

#2807646 - 07/09/08 10:32 PM Re: Using NOS w/ Out shortning engine life dramaticlly [Re: SPDRSR1]
del_slo Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Bottom of the boooot
 Originally Posted By: SPDRSR1
I think the highest I ran on my 00 Si was 175...but I had titanium internals, colder plugs, cams, and the most important...fuel pump and fuel press. safety switch. Do it right before you run juice and you can run as much as you want

Titanium internals???

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  civicsidude, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads