Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#6429684 - 06/28/12 12:28 PM Emission test v. No more tailpipe?
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canadistan
So I had to go get an emissions test... was curious how I would do because last one was very very close and with risky failing ...I was a bit skeptical (though knew things were ok anyways. I keep my shit tip top unlike him ;\) ) So I give the car a good rip and get it decently hot. Pull up to oil changers to do a test.
They ask me the age of the car a million times(wtf mate) and then I get to talking to the guy.

97 and older = tail pipe run until next yr
98 and up = OBD scan. wtf mate. thats it . No rollers, nothing up your cars tailpipe even at idle.

Just stuck the reader into odb port. It communicated with computer and thats it(with car idling)
I was surprised and was expecting a sniffer test. Dude said basically they were one of the only places doing this new test and crappy tire et al have until next yr to switch over(if they want to continue to offer the service)

So it depends on where you go until next yr. Most will still be rollers but some may in fact be the new obd scan.

I think its the dumbest thing ever. As long as the cel isnt on(bulb out or pulled doesnt count) you are good to go. wtf. Its far easier to make the computer happy and have no cel than it is to fake whats coming out the tail pipe. (On the other hand Ive gotten a pass in the past with a cel but good cats since cel can be on for unrelated reasons)
What a stupid idea imho....though I guess its good for the modding crew ;\)

Everyone run catless and install sims AYYYYYSAAAAAP. MORE ACCCH PEEAA!

I wonder what kind of logging capabilities new cars really have...hrmmm

edit: totally forgot. They took digital pics of the rear of the car, vin and dash with the cel on(key in number 2 position) and it was logged into the computer omg big brother.

#6429701 - 06/28/12 12:34 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
wow, interdasting...and yeah, will make it easier to pass so it appears.

*brb, ordering headers, full mugen exhaust w/ test pipe*

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#6429748 - 06/28/12 12:50 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Drive clean site mentions "modernizing" the test and to be done by jan 2013..but I cant find details.

#6429761 - 06/28/12 12:53 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
f22b-dohc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: canadia
hmm i had to erase the code on the camry for it to pass..

the cel turned back on after the pass...

so this method is no good?

#6429786 - 06/28/12 01:00 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: f22b-dohc]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
How does an e-test run on a AWD/4WD car or SUV? (is it just an idle test since the roller only works on FWD or RWD)

#6429797 - 06/28/12 01:03 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: iamfob]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

WTF........why dey no do 1997?

FUFUFUFU, whatever at least I "passed" too, got my sticker today \:D

#6429802 - 06/28/12 01:05 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: iamfob]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: iamfob
How does an e-test run on a AWD/4WD car or SUV? (is it just an idle test since the roller only works on FWD or RWD)

yes, idle test. that's all they could do on my old sti.

#6429928 - 06/28/12 01:54 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Huy009 Offline
Post Master Sr

are you pho reals!!!!! fucking that is amazing news! yepppyyyyyyy!!!

#6430060 - 06/28/12 02:40 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Huy009]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
i just hope that the exhaust manifold isn't...."cracky"

#6430075 - 06/28/12 02:46 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
SiZ Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Longdon, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Euphoric

I think its the dumbest thing ever. As long as the cel isnt on(bulb out or pulled doesnt count) you are good to go. wtf.

I don't understand why you would have a problem with this?! I think that's great news! E-tests aren't about saving the environment, they're about making money for the government.

Fuck em!

#6430104 - 06/28/12 02:54 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
So I had to go get an emissions test... was curious how I would do because last one was very very close and with risky failing ...I was a bit skeptical (though knew things were ok anyways. I keep my shit tip top unlike him ;\) ) So I give the car a good rip and get it decently hot. Pull up to oil changers to do a test.
They ask me the age of the car a million times(wtf mate) and then I get to talking to the guy.

97 and older = tail pipe run until next yr
98 and up = OBD scan. wtf mate. thats it . No rollers, nothing up your cars tailpipe even at idle.

Just stuck the reader into odb port. It communicated with computer and thats it(with car idling)
I was surprised and was expecting a sniffer test. Dude said basically they were one of the only places doing this new test and crappy tire et al have until next yr to switch over(if they want to continue to offer the service)

So it depends on where you go until next yr. Most will still be rollers but some may in fact be the new obd scan.

I think its the dumbest thing ever. As long as the cel isnt on(bulb out or pulled doesnt count) you are good to go. wtf. Its far easier to make the computer happy and have no cel than it is to fake whats coming out the tail pipe. (On the other hand Ive gotten a pass in the past with a cel but good cats since cel can be on for unrelated reasons)
What a stupid idea imho....though I guess its good for the modding crew ;\)

Everyone run catless and install sims AYYYYYSAAAAAP. MORE ACCCH PEEAA!

I wonder what kind of logging capabilities new cars really have...hrmmm

edit: totally forgot. They took digital pics of the rear of the car, vin and dash with the cel on(key in number 2 position) and it was logged into the computer omg big brother.

good place

Edited by c2k (06/28/12 03:25 PM)

#6430163 - 06/28/12 03:14 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: SiZ]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SiZ

I think its the dumbest thing ever. As long as the cel isnt on(bulb out or pulled doesnt count) you are good to go. wtf.

I don't understand why you would have a problem with this?! I think that's great news! E-tests aren't about saving the environment, they're about making money for the government.

Fuck em!
I totally agree with you......

was just putting that in because as far as actually measuring something useful at least the old test did that. But ya I prefer the easier method of course.

Though if you have an aftermarket ecu you are screwed/have to come up with a fancy set up/switch back to stock ecu(which could involve a lot of work..o2 sensors, mafs,injectors etc)

#6430399 - 06/28/12 05:12 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Screamin Civic
 Originally Posted By: iamfob

yes, idle test. that's all they could do on my old sti.

so in theory, if your STi has a turbo back exhaust with no cat. As long as there is no visable smoke coming out from tailpipe when the car is idle, you will pass the test?

#6430404 - 06/28/12 05:15 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SiZ

Fuck em!
I totally agree with you......

was just putting that in because as far as actually measuring something useful at least the old test did that. But ya I prefer the easier method of course.

Though if you have an aftermarket ecu you are screwed/have to come up with a fancy set up/switch back to stock ecu(which could involve a lot of work..o2 sensors, mafs,injectors etc)

For my buddy's STi, he has the COBB AccessPort, he can flash his ECU back to OEM mapping in a minute. He is running a TB exhaust with no cat since the car was brand new lulz

With the new e-test, he can pass the e-test with a breeze

#6430411 - 06/28/12 05:18 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: iamfob]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
im telling
#6431020 - 06/28/12 11:59 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: iamfob]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

in theory he should be fine with the new test if his o2's (and ecu) are happy.

old test wouldve nailed him with no cat . access port is still the oem ecu so he should be ok. ill be testing that soon too ;\)

though he should run a race cat at least. no cat = too much boost spike with the 2.5L motors.

#6431051 - 06/29/12 12:50 AM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Meh diesel is a visual test already. So gay.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#6431335 - 06/29/12 08:33 AM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Hatorade]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

I wonder if this new test will scan diesel cars? I dont see why not.

#6431537 - 06/29/12 09:53 AM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
What E test. Diesel SUV means look for black smoke, no smoke, here's your sticker. Its such a freaking money grab
#6431554 - 06/29/12 09:59 AM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
 Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
What E test. Diesel SUV means look for black smoke, no smoke, here's your sticker. Its such a freaking money grab

Wayne, I'm glad you're enjoying your new adventures with the curb side idle test

#6431575 - 06/29/12 10:03 AM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
Hi little boy, your short bus has arrived.

#6431597 - 06/29/12 10:12 AM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Buy a hyrbid, keep your $35.00+hst

#6431749 - 06/29/12 11:23 AM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
 Originally Posted By: eddie_82

Great idea

#6431813 - 06/29/12 11:44 AM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: eddie_82

how much is the battery replacement on the hybrid?

#6431865 - 06/29/12 12:00 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: iamfob]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Varies depending on the car.

I can get my Insight one refurbished locally for about $600. At the dealer it's about $3k including labour. The glory of the Insight is that if the battery is dead you can still operate the car nomally, get 50mpg, and still need no e-test.

Win, win, win.

#6431916 - 06/29/12 12:17 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

I need to buy one of those already.

#6431953 - 06/29/12 12:31 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Euphoricuck]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
I need to buy one of those already.

Might as well chop off what's left of your pee pee while you're at it.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#6432065 - 06/29/12 01:05 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Hatorade]
Euphoricuck Offline
Post Master Supreme

Id still mad bitches. no worries

#6437873 - 07/03/12 12:59 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Balhar Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Gee Tee Ay
 Originally Posted By: Screamin Civic
wow, interdasting...and yeah, will make it easier to pass so it appears.

*brb, ordering headers, full mugen exhaust w/ test pipe*

overnight from japan??

#6437887 - 07/03/12 01:04 PM Re: Emission test v. No more tailpipe? [Re: Balhar]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

^Ha.

Speaking of OBD2, anyone using Torque app. for their cars?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

Downloaded it this past weekend, still trying to find a decent bluetooth OBD2 adaptor...used a cheap $25 china made one but it connects/drops connection every 20 sec's. gonna see if i can find a PLX Kiwi for cheap.

http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads