Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9825952 - 06/03/20 10:04 AM Time to replace the AC unit
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Our AC unit is dying a slow death, it still runs but there is a leak in the line and it's losing freon. I had a guy come last year to look at it and topped it off but he said the type my ac uses is no longer available (guess it's an environmental thing). He had his own supply of gas but pretty much said it was a band-aide solution to the problem.

So with the one taste of real heat last week, the fam is complaining and wants a new system.

Anyone replace theirs recently or can suggest a brand/company?

#9826079 - 06/03/20 11:37 AM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: Big Tasty]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
I got some quotes last year, mostly out of curiosity. My systems (furnace and AC) are approaching 20 years-old and have needed repairs occasionally. Just wanted to prepare myself for the eventual sticker shock.

The dude on RFD gave me a very competitive quote last year for a Trane system:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/group-bu...scount-2362649/

I also had a quote from Costco. They use pretty top-end Lennox units so the prices are higher. There's usually a 10% cashback (Costco card) included, so factor that into the price. If you're a member, schedule a quote:
https://www.costco.ca/.product.10318178.html

#9826096 - 06/03/20 11:46 AM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
Keep looking at your local hydro company for provincial rebates on AC units, insulation, and thermostats...

I picked up the latest gen Nest thermostat for ... like $153 or something...

#9826355 - 06/03/20 02:17 PM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
 Originally Posted By: Senor Eduardo_82
I got some quotes last year, mostly out of curiosity. My systems (furnace and AC) are approaching 20 years-old and have needed repairs occasionally. Just wanted to prepare myself for the eventual sticker shock.

The dude on RFD gave me a very competitive quote last year for a Trane system:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/group-bu...scount-2362649/

I also had a quote from Costco. They use pretty top-end Lennox units so the prices are higher. There's usually a 10% cashback (Costco card) included, so factor that into the price. If you're a member, schedule a quote:
https://www.costco.ca/.product.10318178.html

these are decent yeah, trane is pricey as fuck though unless you get a company who sells bucket loads. lennox is not the same quality it used to be, but it does the job of course. really they are just giant fans and rads anyway lol.

call highlife (Woodbine and Hwy 7 location in Markham) if you like, ask for Mark. they've done some work for me and guys here in the past, all great. also he'll beat anyone on Carrier pricing but can do very well on lennox too, as well as York stuff which is very good for the money!

the team was in and out in just under 3hrs for new AC install and he did some small extra work for me fixing up the humidifier connection, and ensuring all wiring/pipes were a clean install.

i just installed a new carrier 2.5 ton carrier comfort (didn't bother with performance series) since the new comforts are very close (the casing is different and like 1 other small difference). it's not worth the money to go Infinity series.

i have a nest on this home and it works great with the new carrier re. eco mode right around 23.5c as well to save energy (for regular days like now, if it's those nasty 33c days and up then i have it pumping down to 23/22.5c

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9826472 - 06/03/20 03:37 PM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Perfect, thx all.
#9826496 - 06/03/20 03:55 PM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: Big Tasty]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

re: AC unit, pull off the thermostat, and check how many wires you got.

If you got 5 wires, you Gucci, if not (i.e. you got 4), ask the installer to quote you to pull up new wire. i.e. new digital thermostats needs their own power 24v(?) wire.

(When I installed a Nest back in 2014, I only had 4 wires in the new home. Called Nest, and they would REIMBURSE ME THE COST to get 5 wires installed. I got it done for $100 thru the AC guy, and submitted a receipt for $500 )

#9828105 - 06/04/20 10:21 PM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: furball]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
Ecobee solves the wire problem but the Nest has easier user experience.

https://homestars.com/companies/2780254-for-saving-home-service-inc

I used them for my town home 8 years ago, it was fine when we left. We used them again for our new furnace. His prices are comparable to other vendor we got a quote for.

I don't know squat about ac/furnace but based on size of house, he gave a recommendation on size needed. No issues with either places.

#9829555 - 06/06/20 08:24 PM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: A2B-Lexus]
BroKe Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario
i would get something a bit bigger than needed. nothing worse than having an a/c that can't keep up and ends up blowing the entire day.
#9829599 - 06/06/20 09:52 PM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: BroKe]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land

Originally Posted By: BroKe
i would get something a bit bigger than needed. nothing worse than having an a/c that can't keep up and ends up blowing the entire day.

https://www.cooltoday.com/blog/3-problems-caused-by-an-oversized-air-conditioner

not a good idea.

#9829701 - 06/07/20 10:04 AM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: A2B-Lexus]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

do not oversize, it'll never cool upstairs lol
the stat will shut her down way to quick.

#9829811 - 06/07/20 02:43 PM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
BroKe Offline
Post Master Sr

tru eh.
i guess my house is just designed poorly. cause my house is really hot upstairs. especially in the evening when the sun is low to the earth. downstairs is cold. lol

#9829822 - 06/07/20 03:29 PM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: BroKe]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

This is the biggest mistake people make, I see this especially in the weed business and it's like 99% of the problems.

The big issue is that a big AC will cool a place faster, however it won't move the air and with that you will have a colder temp faster, but a much more humid house. A properly sized A/C will run longer to move more air and condition the air as well so it's not just cooler, but it will have removed a lot more humidity.

#9829965 - 06/07/20 10:42 PM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: Risky Business]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Originally Posted By: Risky Business

This is the biggest mistake people make, I see this especially in the weed business and it's like 99% of the problems.

The big issue is that a big AC will cool a place faster, however it won't move the air and with that you will have a colder temp faster, but a much more humid house. A properly sized A/C will run longer to move more air and condition the air as well so it's not just cooler, but it will have removed a lot more humidity.

100%

If anything upgrade the builder furnace to a 2 stage with dc motor. Leave the a/c properly sized for the house.

#9830037 - 06/08/20 07:25 AM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: BroKe]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

We have 3 ceiling fans in the new home ... especially on upper floors, it does help with making a room cooler. (I also have a bunch of ghetto free-standing fans as well.)

I've closed off the basement vents with cardboard/foil tape, and also some second-floor vents to force air into one of the cold/hotter rooms... Ain't great, but it's ok...

i guess my house is just designed poorly. cause my house is really hot upstairs. especially in the evening when the sun is low to the earth. downstairs is cold. lol

#9830109 - 06/08/20 09:10 AM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: BroKe]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
tru eh.

If it's really hot upstairs, you need to close the basement vents to allow the cool air to travel upstairs. When was the last time you added more insulation in the attic? The more insulation in the attic is a huge game changer and the temps upstairs are within 1-2 degree celsius warmer than downstairs.

#9832951 - 06/11/20 08:08 AM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: c2k]
BroKe Offline
Post Master Sr

They are closed. Lol
Thanks for the tip with the insulation. I maybe that to try that. Makes sense

#9832959 - 06/11/20 08:20 AM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: BroKe]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
I'm sold on the attic insulation. Had mine topped up last November and it's made a huge difference in comfort upstairs. Bills weren't significantly lower, so don't expect a huge change there.

Just enjoy the comfort.

#9832971 - 06/11/20 08:44 AM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

^ i have been wanting to do this as well. in many cases most homes around the GTA are old enough to have only about 10 inches of insulation (left) inside the attic if you're lucky. this is 'standard' from 20 yrs ago. nowadays most newer homes fill up to 20 inches, i think it's more the blow-in type of insulation too, not the bat type like you do in walls. gotta get around to it.

as for closing registers...that only works "so much" and you don't wanna close too many especially on the top/main floors. we shut the more useless ones like far living room where nobody is and the powder room since it's freaking freezing or too hot (being right above the basement furnce/AC) so it's like a straight shot up lol. re. basement yeah shut all those no need unless you have a nice finished basement. our basement ones had those magnet rubber covers which i duct taped all around the edges as well lol.

#9833166 - 06/11/20 10:58 AM Re: Time to replace the AC unit [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Senor Eduardo_82
I'm sold on the attic insulation. Had mine topped up last November and it's made a huge difference in comfort upstairs. Bills weren't significantly lower, so don't expect a huge change there.

Just enjoy the comfort.

Yep, first thing I did 9 years ago. Going from R20 to R50+ made a noticeable difference year round.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads