Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#9569759 - 05/14/19 06:11 PM How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down?
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I heard someone talking about this how none of these companies are actually obliged to keep our data/accounts if we are using their services for free (we all know this) but let's say linkedin which is rolodex for many of us or our personal gmail accounts simply vanished or a dropbox folder filled with personal pics. Then what?

I'd be pretty fucked in some respects as I have so much history saved in email, linkedin for obvious reasons, ig/youtube/fb none of that shit matters to me, but I am sure it would be a great loss to others.

Do you have any personal "back up" method that you use to try to keep some redundancy of personal information/data?

#9569839 - 05/14/19 07:56 PM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
dat blockchain doe

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9570198 - 05/15/19 08:32 AM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
hyper-s2k Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T dot O dot, Canada
I'm old school from the perspective that I am not a fan of cloud services despite its convenience. I prefer to know where my stuff is.

Family photos - I still keep on my computer & external drive (though I know these drives will fail - so I really should get a new one every few years and just make redundant copies) -- despite uploading some to FB to share w/ family and friends.

Should purge some (probably lots of duplicates, esp. when backing up off the phone) -- then only save the selected few.

Considering printing some as keep sakes (esp. now you can do them like a book) -- the irony, digital photos became popular for space saving reasons - but a physical photo is probably safer from total loss.

Work stuff - don't really care (then again I don't have my own business at this point in time).

No email is worth saving at this point, most are alerts from sites for monitoring prices on stuff that I maybe interested in some time down the road (e.g. plane tickets, vacation packages, etc.)

Saving locally and backing them up on drives is probably your safest bet -- after all, that's in your total control.
'03 s2k - now @ 80,xxx km - a2a car
'08 535i - sold @ 149,421 km - cashed out just in time!
'08 impreza 2.5i - sold @ - 64,147 km - smh POS
'01 rav4 - killed @ 155,879 km - RIP old friend

"Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents, abstinence is the best policy. If you're gonna take her for a spin, use protection." - Rick Mercer

#9571023 - 05/15/19 08:53 PM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: hyper-s2k]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
if google disappeared tomorrow id be pretty screwed from communicating, sending quotes, and invoices, but then again so would many of the clients so it's a wash i'd think.

i still have a cell phone and pen and paper isnt hard.

if all comms went down, then the world would have bigger issues than work.

#9571075 - 05/15/19 10:16 PM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
A2B-Lexus Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Raptors Land
I don't do anything important on email.....getting bills would be annoying as most is electronic now.

pictures is on a HD on my computer and external HD as well.

#9571162 - 05/16/19 07:39 AM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: A2B-Lexus]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
Wow this is a major eye opener for me and I must admit that I have never once consider the possibility that any one of these providers could go down. I would be royalty fucked if that was the case. How can I download all of these emails and save it offline from gmail?

#9571530 - 05/16/19 12:01 PM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: c2k]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
CTRL+P
#9571540 - 05/16/19 12:12 PM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland and Toronto
I pay for my outlook365 and dropbox, but I've considered this as well in the past. I'd be screwed.
#9571767 - 05/16/19 02:06 PM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: 87ZCSi]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
would not affect me at all. I am old skool as well and have All my docs/pics/music is located on my file server which is automatically backed up to a NAS. both pc and nas are located in the same place so if my house burns down or is flooded then ya i'll lose all that shit. but i mean, i think I'd have bigger problems if that were the case.

I have FB but don't really do anything with it. Don't have IG or TWitter. I have LinkedIn but its just kind of there so if that disappears, meh i don't care. Phone pics are stored on google but I don't take pics of anything worthwhile so another meh to that one.

#9572329 - 05/17/19 05:17 AM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: Raocorp]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Is there a program or a standard backup procedure?

Do you always overwrite files when you copy from computer to back up or is there a way/program that known when you are backing up an existing folder from a computer to the same folder on the back up, it will only replicate the new files and not have to bother with the old ones? Or is it a manual process and you only back up new files that you haven't backed up before?

#9572367 - 05/17/19 07:28 AM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: Risky Business]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
you can run backup software:

https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html

#9572959 - 05/17/19 02:44 PM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: Risky Business]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Is there a program or a standard backup procedure?

Do you always overwrite files when you copy from computer to back up or is there a way/program that known when you are backing up an existing folder from a computer to the same folder on the back up, it will only replicate the new files and not have to bother with the old ones? Or is it a manual process and you only back up new files that you haven't backed up before?

I've been using it for so long, automated, that I legit forget the name. I'll check when I get home. Its a very small free app.

File server runs 24/7 and NAS sleeps until its triggered by the start of the back up. It doesn't overwrite existing files. It uses log files to recognize new and changed files and only backs up the changes. The app I use isn't sophisticated but it allows you to save batch files that once triggered run automatically. So I setup a windows task to trigger the batch file and the backup runs. Has never failed me yet. Even provides a report and save file when completed. I have this run Mon/Wed/Fri at 4am when i'm guaranteed to be sleeping and nobody using the network. NAS is setup to sleep after 5mins of inactivity. My NAS is just a dual bay D-LINK. Its not super fast but because of incremental backup anyway it never takes more than an hr or two. Depends on whats changed obviously. I use the same drives in the PC and in the NAS. No compression or any non-sense like that. That just adds time and complication to the backup. Drives are cheap anyway, so there is no point IMO.

#9574251 - 05/20/19 05:35 PM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: Raocorp]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

The majority of stuff I'd be fine.

Everything I have on my computer is backup up to an external hard drive(s) via time machine automatically as well as backed up offsite to the cloud as well.

I'm in the process of adding in a NAS to add in another physical layer in case of hardware failure.

It sucks to setup & to constantly have to be purchasing hard drives though

#9576920 - 05/24/19 01:38 PM Re: How screwed are we if gmail/linkedin/dropbox/etc go down? [Re: Wildout]
Lafora Offline
Post Master Sr

for important emails, i've been using protonmail.

main account and then 2 backup accounts where the "must not lose" shit gets fwd'ed.

plus backup pdf copies on 3 drives. i think i'm ok

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads