Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#9492822 - 01/22/19 02:05 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Mr.Bozack]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
LOL can I just say - for the N55 lovers - that there is a TSB out there rn due to extreme cold weather. Numerous N55s have found to be seized and damaged from attempted starts in the cold weather XDDDDDDDDD
The TSB was put up just today at 9:30AM.

Lots of engine failures have been going in. BAHAHA

XD XD XD XD

#9492825 - 01/22/19 02:06 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Big Tasty]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
 Originally Posted By: 4age
Whoa. Do tell more re: the genesis issues. Interested to hear how Hyundai holds up

Creaking noise front passenger side: Known issue on Genesis forums, hit and miss on warranty work from others but I got mine covered. They had to re-weld A pillar pinch welds.

Rattle on manual shifter. Shift lever bracket and bushing worn. Replaced shifter assembly brackets and pins. Warranty repair.

Clunking noise from driver front wheel area: They said left front stability link loose. They fixed/ replaced but still heard noise afterwards. Fixed under warranty. Now say it requires bearing ount and strut. Didn't have parts when I went in on Friday so need to come back for that to be fixed.

Rear right speaker was blown, replaced under warranty.

Few minor recall fixes.

Dealership and the service guy I've been dealing with have been great with my issues and it's great I have not spent a dime on repairs but sucks that a car with still less than 33,000km on it is having theses problems.

Mechanically it has been good so far.

My 11yr old Santa Fe with 160k on it has held up very well in comparison with just general wear and tear repairs.

Thank you for sharing. It's always interesting to hear about Hyundai. They are solid cars with a good rep, and for the money, arguably extremely difficult to beat. So it's cool to have the insight into some of the things that can occur in these cars. A bad pinch weld tho? wow.

XD XD XD XD

#9492880 - 01/22/19 02:55 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 4age]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
LOL can I just say - for the N55 lovers - that there is a TSB out there rn due to extreme cold weather. Numerous N55s have found to be seized and damaged from attempted starts in the cold weather XDDDDDDDDD

lol rekt. wow just from 1 day of -37c? c'mooooonnnn....VAS IZ DAS ZGERAN ENGINEERINGZ? tho it can happen to plenty of cars yeah.

but are you sure the tsb isn't just for starter freezing up causing no-start condition? (Then it eventually thaws, you start it up...maybe get replaced at the dealer). Not for actual motor poppin?

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#9492918 - 01/22/19 03:43 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 87ZCSi]
RIC3BOY Offline
Jr Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: 87ZCSi
His:
2008 E92 M3 6MT
2012 ML350

Hers:
2011 328i

I'm thinking about replacing the M3, but like hyper, what's next?! Also this thing isn't worth much at this point so is anything going to pose this much fun / dollar? Hator, if using the GT3 as a 2 person car anyway, why are you missing the rear seat, or is it because you can't use it as a 3 seater? We never use my M3 as a family car so I've been thinking about going to drive a GT3.

What happened to the 4Runner?!

#9492928 - 01/22/19 03:51 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 4age]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada

The N55 came out in 2011. Something isn’t adding up.

#9492955 - 01/22/19 04:24 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: RIC3BOY]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland and Toronto
 Originally Posted By: RIC3BOY
His:
2008 E92 M3 6MT
2012 ML350

Hers:
2011 328i

I'm thinking about replacing the M3, but like hyper, what's next?! Also this thing isn't worth much at this point so is anything going to pose this much fun / dollar? Hator, if using the GT3 as a 2 person car anyway, why are you missing the rear seat, or is it because you can't use it as a 3 seater? We never use my M3 as a family car so I've been thinking about going to drive a GT3.

What happened to the 4Runner?!

In anticipation of potentially selling the M3 I wanted something a little nicer daily because whatever replaces the M3 will not be as compliant

#9492967 - 01/22/19 04:39 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 4age]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Whoa. Do tell more re: the genesis issues. Interested to hear how Hyundai holds up

Creaking noise front passenger side: Known issue on Genesis forums, hit and miss on warranty work from others but I got mine covered. They had to re-weld A pillar pinch welds.

Rattle on manual shifter. Shift lever bracket and bushing worn. Replaced shifter assembly brackets and pins. Warranty repair.

Clunking noise from driver front wheel area: They said left front stability link loose. They fixed/ replaced but still heard noise afterwards. Fixed under warranty. Now say it requires bearing ount and strut. Didn't have parts when I went in on Friday so need to come back for that to be fixed.

Few minor recall fixes.

Dealership and the service guy I've been dealing with have been great with my issues and it's great I have not spent a dime on repairs but sucks that a car with still less than 33,000km on it is having theses problems.

My 11yr old Santa Fe with 160k on it has held up very well in comparison with just general wear and tear repairs.

Thank you for sharing. It's always interesting to hear about Hyundai. They are solid cars with a good rep, and for the money, arguably extremely difficult to beat. So it's cool to have the insight into some of the things that can occur in these cars. A bad pinch weld tho? wow.

GF had a 2011 Sonata with 120k. Literally no issues until it was rear ended at 85km/h and was written off

#9493020 - 01/22/19 05:32 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: JEFFOS]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: JEFFOS

Few minor recall fixes.

GF had a 2011 Sonata with 120k. Literally no issues until it was rear ended at 85km/h and was written off

I had a few similar issues with my 2 Genesis Coupes. Nothing mechanical, just fit and finish and qc issues. Leather on seats coming apart, loose track, steering wheel leather peeling, a bad HID, wheel speed sensor. The pinch weld I think was traced back to an issue with robots that do the welding. My car was a bit older then his, so I guess I missed it.

The Gen Coupes were made in Korea unlike everything else Hyundai makes is built here in NA. Maybe the Korean plants were substandard. My Veloster and my Elantra were both rock solid and issue free.

#9493088 - 01/22/19 07:18 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 87ZCSi]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Even if it had back seats would your wife fit in the passenger seat if kid's back there? My wife is 5'3" and is cramped in the E92 M3, but isn't in the E90 as backseat is much larger.

Not an issue as the front passenger seat has lots of leg room.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9493100 - 01/22/19 07:45 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Hatorade]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
I haven't been driving the aspec much at all lately. the NX200T is due to go back in fall and is on a 80k lease but the thing has 20k on it, so i have some catching up to do.

meanwhile the tlx is just sitting nice and clean in the garage, even still has new car smell

Edited by titty sprinkles (01/22/19 07:46 PM)

#9493126 - 01/22/19 08:54 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: titty sprinkles]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

YO red aspec! That is dope

XD XD XD XD

#9493127 - 01/22/19 08:56 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Screamin Type ARGH!

lol rekt. wow just from 1 day of -37c? c'mooooonnnn....VAS IZ DAS ZGERAN ENGINEERINGZ? tho it can happen to plenty of cars yeah.

but are you sure the tsb isn't just for starter freezing up causing no-start condition? (Then it eventually thaws, you start it up...maybe get replaced at the dealer). Not for actual motor poppin?

motor is borked. i got pics of borked motor and the tsb.
bmw doesn't yet know what to do re: replacing the engines for out of warranty cars. this is very newly discovered so here we are.

re: n55 being a 2011 motor - that is true. I don't think there have been so many consecutive -3x windchill days between then and now. they are seeing lots of motors come in. phoenixrage works at bmw - he probably knows more.

Edited by 4age (01/22/19 08:56 PM)

XD XD XD XD

#9493223 - 01/22/19 11:22 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Mr.Bozack]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland and Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Mr.Bozack
For those with the M3's when you're thinking about selling let me know.

Mine's in Oregon. You in for a road trip? The roads there are awesome, btw, take your time leaving town.

#9493227 - 01/22/19 11:25 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 4age]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,

bmw doesn't yet know what to do re: replacing the engines for out of warranty cars. this is very newly discovered so here we are.

re: n55 being a 2011 motor - that is true. I don't think there have been so many consecutive -3x windchill days between then and now. they are seeing lots of motors come in. phoenixrage works at bmw - he probably knows more.

Windchill doesn't affects inanimate objects.. So those -18 degree days with the windchill to -40 really doesn't mean shit.

#9493269 - 01/23/19 07:06 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: LNXGUY]
Mr.Bozack Offline
Sr Member

Loc: Ontario
Wow BMW never stops letting me down. Why is it that almost all of their motors have a major issue. The plastic timing guides let go on my 540, Rod bearing issues on both e46 and e9x M3s, HPFP issues with N54/N55? I haven't even followed to see what their newer models are plagued with but they should have at least kept an inline 6 in their line up without a turbo...Can't wait to see the new Supra guys bitch about "Toyota reliability' once the next gremlin is uncovered.

/BMW rant

#9493313 - 01/23/19 08:21 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: LNXGUY]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

Windchill doesn't affects inanimate objects.. So those -18 degree days with the windchill to -40 really doesn't mean shit.

BMW's feel the cold

XD XD XD XD

#9493334 - 01/23/19 08:43 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Mr.Bozack]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Wow BMW never stops letting me down. Why is it that almost all of their motors have a major issue. The plastic timing guides let go on my 540, Rod bearing issues on both e46 and e9x M3s, HPFP issues with N54/N55? I haven't even followed to see what their newer models are plagued with but they should have at least kept an inline 6 in their line up without a turbo...Can't wait to see the new Supra guys bitch about "Toyota reliability' once the next gremlin is uncovered.

/BMW rant

but...but...but, muh baadddgggeee.

granted...this fucking 1.5T honda motor, reliable but fuck me with the "other" issues right now lol

not to mention honda still sucks for heating up the cabin, jfc.

#9493335 - 01/23/19 08:45 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 4age]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto

BMW's feel the cold

Well damn, I don't feel so bad about my issues \:D

#9493380 - 01/23/19 09:49 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
 Originally Posted By: eddie_eightytwo
 Originally Posted By: OracerO
16 audi s3 (gone in a year) While very fun, i drive way to much.

Tell me more about this. I've had one of these on a vague shortlist of next DD cars for myself.

Super fun car, very quick. Its the same size as a civic but with 295hp w/"Quattro". Mine isn't modded, except for the resonator delete + tint. I drive in manual/paddle shift mode about 90% of the time, except for if i'm stuck in traffic or eating.

My audi year 2016 and came with 6 gears. I believe everything 2017+ have 7 gears.
I drive a lot back country, lots of HWY driving. At 130/140kms i'm revving at 3000rpm, it's brutal (for my year).

I have the adaptable ride shocks (whatever that option is called), so i can make the car stiffer or more cushy.

Very fun car, i absolutely love driving it, however it's time for something a bit bigger (eying S5 sportback or RS5 sportback).

My cars are leased as I own multiple business and i need the write off.

Let me know if you have questions?

Edited by OracerO (01/23/19 09:51 AM)

#9493394 - 01/23/19 10:08 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: OracerO]
fatso Offline
Post Master

Tell me more about this. I've had one of these on a vague shortlist of next DD cars for myself.

Super fun car, very quick. Its the same size as a civic but with 295hp w/"Quattro". Mine isn't modded, except for the resonator delete + tint. I drive in manual/paddle shift mode about 90% of the time, except for if i'm stuck in traffic or eating.

My audi year 2016 and came with 6 gears. I believe everything 2017+ have 7 gears.
I drive a lot back country, lots of HWY driving. At 130/140kms i'm revving at 3000rpm, it's brutal (for my year).

I have the adaptable ride shocks (whatever that option is called), so i can make the car stiffer or more cushy.

Very fun car, i absolutely love driving it, however it's time for something a bit bigger (eying S5 sportback or RS5 sportback).

You're absolutely right about the transmission. MY17 was when they started to introduce a 7th gear for most of their DSG equiped cars. I've been looking around to see what kind of mileage people are reporting back. Wife has a 17 Golf R with the 6 speed, while the MY18's got the extra gear. HUUUUUUGE difference - most seem to average about 11ish L/ 100 km with the 6 speed, while the 7 gear tranny seems to average around 8L/100km.

With that said, I think the DSG is what I love most about the S3... in sport mode while you're slowing down, the car is so quick to drop a gear and shoot the revs up to 4k. It's so.... encouraging LOL

#9493400 - 01/23/19 10:12 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: fatso]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
 Originally Posted By: fatso

You're absolutely right about the transmission. MY17 was when they started to introduce a 7th gear for most of their DSG equiped cars. I've been looking around to see what kind of mileage people are reporting back. Wife has a 17 Golf R with the 6 speed, while the MY18's got the extra gear. HUUUUUUGE difference - most seem to average about 11ish L/ 100 km with the 6 speed, while the 7 gear tranny seems to average around 8L/100km.

With that said, I think the DSG is what I love most about the S3... in sport mode while you're slowing down, the car is so quick to drop a gear and shoot the revs up to 4k. It's so.... encouraging LOL

That is why i drive it in manually mode 95% of the time. It's just another way of driving "manual".

Gear down, i tap once wait tap again, or i can double tap quick to jump 2 gears. With the resonator-delete, it sounds like what a "S-car" should sound like.

#9493418 - 01/23/19 10:20 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: OracerO]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

I'm seeing some '17 S3s on Autotrader that still say 6-speed. Was it '18 when they got the 7-speed?
#9493429 - 01/23/19 10:26 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

^i thought so.

RS3 or GTFO :p

car is too small tho, even my s4 is tight with kids seats...the trunk at least is big but still...i want the S5/RS5 fastback...hnnnnnnnnnnng. love the shape.

https://www.audi.ca/ca/web/en/models/a5/rs5-sportback.html \(\.\)\(\.\)

Edited by Screamin Type ARGH! (01/23/19 02:04 PM)

#9493468 - 01/23/19 10:56 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

/BMW rant

granted...this fucking 1.5T honda motor, reliable but fuck me with the "other" issues right now lol

What’s with all the fuel dilution on the 1.5T and Honda’s shitty fix for it is to try and warm the engine up faster by dumping more fuel?

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#9493522 - 01/23/19 11:33 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Hatorade]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

At $40k+ for a year-old S3, that's pushing right into Genesis G70 money. Car of the Year at multiple sites and magazines, available in RWD with a manual and LSD (and a real handbrake!) for under $50k. The Genesis will probably be in the low-30s used in a year or two, which could be a hell of a bargain (assuming anyone actually buys the manual).
#9493529 - 01/23/19 11:42 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

no one is going to buy the manual, rwd, 4cyl g70 with lsd \:\(
That's one hell of a car!!!!!!!!!! We're lucky to have it.
I'm sure it's going to sell as well as the chevy ss did. lollllllllll

XD XD XD XD

#9493550 - 01/23/19 11:54 AM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 4age]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

^why you no buy the. Lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9493572 - 01/23/19 12:06 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Hatorade]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hatorade

/BMW rant

What’s with all the fuel dilution on the 1.5T and Honda’s shitty fix for it is to try and warm the engine up faster by dumping more fuel?

no comment and I dunno lol

#9493796 - 01/23/19 01:59 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Hatorade]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

^why you no buy the. Lol

because it's a giant car--not unlike the s4.
and because miata.

XD XD XD XD

#9493878 - 01/23/19 02:51 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 4age]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

BMW's feel the cold

I wonder what causes this? cold enough that the block mains freeze around the crank or somethin?

#9493918 - 01/23/19 03:15 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: titty sprinkles]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

I have no idea. Though cold seize is a typical thing for something like a snowmobile - where the piston expands faster than the rest of the engine due to a combination of unlike materials or different thermodynamics and tight tolerances. Not sure if this is the problem for N55 - specifically because the TSB calls out the crankshaft.

XD XD XD XD

#9493937 - 01/23/19 03:23 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 4age]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

that's what i don't get, if it's the crank and it was contracting due to the cold then tolerances would get bigger no? and if anything would still spin maybe spin a bearing but not seize...unless the block contracts onto the crank and then you try to start it and it seizes that way. doesn't that engine have a aluminum crank or cast iron maybe?

regardless that's messed up. you'd imagine something like that would show up in their cold weather testing. however let's be realistic here, its not JUST bmw that's shitty, it's ALL cars and all manufacturing in general. dishwashers, washer/dryers etc last 5 years sometimes less and why are cars any different. gone are the days of 90's jap cars that will run in -50 or +40 degree weather with no oil and still not die.

Edited by titty sprinkles (01/23/19 03:28 PM)

#9493947 - 01/23/19 03:31 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 87ZCSi]
Mr.Bozack Offline
Sr Member

Mine's in Oregon. You in for a road trip? The roads there are awesome, btw, take your time leaving town.

Ha no thanks not this time of the year anyways, lets see how things look in the summer time.

#9494065 - 01/23/19 06:04 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: 4age]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

I have no idea. Though cold seize is a typical thing for something like a snowmobile - where the piston expands faster than the rest of the engine due to a combination of unlike materials or different thermodynamics and tight tolerances. Not sure if this is the problem for N55 - specifically because the TSB calls out the crankshaft.

I don’t understand why this has all of a sudden become a thing since the motor has been out since 2011.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#9494066 - 01/23/19 06:05 PM Re: So, who drives what now? [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

/BMW rant

no comment and I dunno lol

What’s with the transmission in the new RDX. Another turd? LOL

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

Page 2 of 5 <12345>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads