Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#3635239 - 04/08/09 10:39 PM Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor?
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

Stock bottom end LT1s making as much as an LS7? \:o

According to inside sources at Trick Flow Specialties they are in the final stages of production and testing of what they call the best-flowing cast cylinder heads available for naturally aspirated LT1 engines. The Trick Flow GenX™ Street/Strip Cylinder Heads. Out-of-the-box, these heads are easily capable of producing well in excess of 500 naturally aspirated horsepower.

Thats with a stock 10.25:1 compression ratio! These are going to be great so check upcoming issues of GMHTP for much more info as it becomes available.

http://blogs.gmhightechperformance.com/6...eads/index.html

I just remember someone here had an LT1 Fbody,and another built an LT1 car. I noticed a couple articles about the new Dart and Edelbrock heads. The Edelbrocks made 400 and the Darts 450. Now the Trickflow's claiming 500 on stock cubes and compression!The Edelbrock setup was believed to be tame enough to pass the Cali buttsniff test.

And just cuz,new 102mm throttle body FAST LSXR intake manifold,and 2500HP capable,siamesed bore (no overheating for street cars?) LS series race block. They say this thing can easily make 500 cubes! (that's over 8 litres)

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tec...aft_tunnel.html

Videos
#3635292 - 04/08/09 10:58 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: progressi]
UglyValiant Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
It'll never beat the Gen1 small block chevy as a budget powerhouse. We purchased a set of new AL heads for one I built for ~ 1100. It flow tested 280+cfm, IE enough to support almost 600 hp.

I've always felt that the LT-1 was an under-appreciated engine though. I guess the hard part is the relative dearth of truly hipo intake choices and engine management...and of course, opti-spark seems to scare many away.
1989 Shelby CSX (#500/500)
The most powerful production minivan money can buy.

#3635339 - 04/08/09 11:22 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: UglyValiant]
00Formula
Unregistered

The heads may flow enough to support 500hp, but as already said the intake system will be a big restriction to reaching that hp level.
The opti-spark can be converted to LS1 coils, but it's a drawback of that engine's design.

I would think truck LS1 short block's would be almost as economical with a head swap. I would think the LS1's engine management would be easier to use on retro fits.

#3635342 - 04/08/09 11:23 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: UglyValiant]
vwkaferman Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I think another problem with the LT1 that should be considered was the platform it was delivered in. I had a '94 Z28, pretty much stock. Great car, had a blast with it, but to work on the motor? Meh fuck that. Shit was tucked so tight in there.

Glad to say though that a coworker bought my Z28 when it spun a bearing. Rebuilt it and it's now faster than ever, probably a good mid 13second car. Not bad for a car with well over 200,000 miles on her.

James

#3635532 - 04/09/09 12:48 AM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: vwkaferman]
90TGP Offline
Post Master

Loc: Ohio
There are tons of LT1's in the 10's and faster running the stock intake. And there's always the option of running a single-plane intake with an elbow.
#3636089 - 04/09/09 10:22 AM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: 90TGP]
SD91RS Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Bakersfield, CA
They are now running LT1s on an LS1 computer as well, which not only brings superior tuning capabilities, but it also does away with the dreaded opti.
It's something I'll be looking to get for my LT1 in the future.
http://www.eficonnection.com

Those heads are on the list as well. I think AI (Advanced Induction) got a set and has been working on them. AI and Lloyd Elliot are two places that have been putting out some pretty good LT1 heads.

I plan to convert to a single plane as well, partly to do with the performance (once I go to a decent set of heads) and partly for the aesthetics. /ricer

Garen mundua konkistatzen delako joan!

#3636341 - 04/09/09 11:55 AM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: UglyValiant]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

Ive had that argument with a guy before. He actually circle tracked a car,so I assume he was an expert. A friend and I got him hooked on Mitsubishis of all things (LOL) and he swore they were so much cheaper than building a small/big block. I told him I thought you could do a BBC for cheaper,but he told me those things come with so much you have to throw away and start over with that it would be better to go with an SBC first,then stroke,etc. I said I still thought it would be cheaper then to go with an SBC (I still had my Evo at the time,haha) and he wouldnt relent.

So how much is an LT1 Fcar these days?

#3638933 - 04/10/09 10:51 AM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: progressi]
SD91RS Offline
Post Master Sr

$3-4k I believe (for a decent condition one)

#3639450 - 04/10/09 02:26 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: SD91RS]
00Formula
Unregistered

$3600 for this 1999 LS1 Z28 with 121k miles.

Link

$4500 1999 Z28 automatic

Link

$3900 1995 LT1

Link

Those LS1 prices are depressing since I have a Firebird Formula, and the most they're going for now is $12-14k.

Edited by 00Formula (04/10/09 02:34 PM)

#3640353 - 04/10/09 09:33 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: ]
Benelliwang Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Vegas
You can buy a complete 6.0 Ellis (well actually a iron block LQ4) for around $300 to $600 on Craigslist. Build it up with heads & cam for n/a 450 rwhp and put it in a car of your choice. Add nitrous for fun. Or just boost it with a cheap turbo or something. Here is a cool link about a iron 6.0 ellis making 1360hp on stock heads, crank, and stock block.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/1069800-1360-hp-stock-head-crank-6-0-lit.html

#3640395 - 04/10/09 10:09 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: Benelliwang]
00Formula
Unregistered

That guy is obviously the exception to a FI build like that.
He clearly has the know how and skill to put that type system together.

Reminds me of when QTP built a turbo LS1 Formula that used a completely interanally stock LS1,
yet they were able to get to 700-800rwhp with methenol injection. It was true, but the time they took tuning was unreal.

#3640568 - 04/10/09 11:33 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: ]
Benelliwang Offline
Post Master Sr

The key thing I was pointing out on that link was the fact the guy used a stock block, stock crank and un-ported heads. Meaning you don't have to spend the money to buy expensive block, crank, or other stuff to make it handle large amount of power.

My car was a budget build. It used stock block, stock crank, cheap rods ($200), stock cam, used ported heads ($550) and Mahl pistons ($350). It has $150 buick turbos, I dyno'ed it once on a mustang dyno with a lowly 588rwhp and not making as much boost that day. We found a exhaust leak later and now it is side by side with a 700+ rwhp car turbo ellis on the freeway. I am buying two 60-1 to replace my two stock buick turbos.

My friend with the red camaro (10.01 1/4 mile) also did a budget build, it has stock 6.0 iron block, stock crank, stock unported heads, stock cam, stock exhaust manifold, ls1 intake and used forged pistons ($300 I think). That motor was built 3 years ago with hundreds of passes at the track and thens of thousands miles on the street.

LT1 is a great budget build but I feel the LS1, especially the iron 6.0 is a better choice. The stock block and crank is proven to handle over 1000hp and has 6 bolt mains, and the stock unported heads flow fine at that level. You don't have to deal with the optispark issues (fails often), or older chips that you have to burn and swap. You can replace optispark with something that uses LS1 coils but that costs near $1k. You can also swap LS1 PCM to LT1 now but you need to buy wiring harness and the PCM. Not too cost effective in my opinion.

#3642863 - 04/12/09 11:36 AM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: Benelliwang]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

Wow,LS1s with high miles are DSM budget now.

Thats insanity.

When the LS1s came out the LT1 guys laughed at the aluminum blocks,has there been any validation to that?

How much weight does the iron 6 litre add?

#3643322 - 04/12/09 04:13 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: progressi]
Benelliwang Offline
Post Master Sr

With LS2, LS3, & L98 around, LS1 is now dirt cheap. The amazing part is that there are not all that different. I guess people just want newer stuff. But if you call up a big named shop, you still have to pay a ton of money for a short block...

Iron 6.0 add 120 lbs or so IIRC.

#3643439 - 04/12/09 05:37 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: progressi]
00Formula
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: progressi
When the LS1s came out the LT1 guys laughed at the aluminum blocks,has there been any validation to that?

Reliability due to the aluminum block hasn't been an issue. There are issues with big hp builds like heads not sealing and lifting, which is why the LSX block have the option for more head bolts. I believe Lingenfelter has cars over 1000whp on aluminum blocks, and he's known for reliability.

#3645209 - 04/13/09 12:20 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: ]
NHRATA01 Offline
Post Master

Loc: New York
I don't know if I see that happening. Besides the design shortfalls of the LT1, the main problem is the aftermarket support is a fraction of the LSx's, and of course an even smaller fraction of the SBC's.

Thing with an LT1, is it has just enough nuances to make it different from an SBC. But to make real big power, alot of people do away with them (ie carb'd or EFI manifold and coil packs, conventional cooling) and then is it really an LT1 anymore? That was kind of always the stumbling point on LS1tech when people tried to set up LT1-only racing classes.

#3646439 - 04/13/09 07:08 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: NHRATA01]
danl Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Maryland USA
LT1, iron block, alum heads, whats not to love?
#3647136 - 04/13/09 10:57 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: danl]
SD91RS Offline
Post Master Sr

The opti.

#3648537 - 04/14/09 12:42 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: SD91RS]
NHRATA01 Offline
Post Master

Loc: New York
To be honest I could be very content to pick up a '96 or '97 LT1 T/A, for the $5-$6k range in good shape, throw just a couple of bolt-ons on it and daily drive it.

But for some strange reason if I were to do that I have a real urge to pick up an '88-'90 350 TPI car for similar money. I still have a real soft spot for turd gens, I still miss my old '89 even though it was a very crappy V6.

#3650913 - 04/14/09 11:38 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: NHRATA01]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

Ive got a Chevy buddy and we always talk v8 stuff. I told him about this article I posted here,he immediately got stoked for LT1 stuff and was looking for an IROC. LOL
#3660744 - 04/17/09 10:05 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: progressi]
MadKilla Offline
Post Master Jr

Loc: South FL
 Originally Posted By: progressi
Stock bottom end LT1s making as much as an LS7? \:o

According to inside sources at Trick Flow Specialties they are in the final stages of production and testing of what they call the best-flowing cast cylinder heads available for naturally aspirated LT1 engines.

And just cuz,new 102mm throttle body FAST LSXR intake manifold

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tec...aft_tunnel.html

Seeing how much power can be squeezed out of their LS1 heads, I believe it. I hit 500 to the tires with my LS1 trick flows before the bearings went bye bye. I just couldn't see building an LT1 again when the LS1 to me is just a superior package. I am scrapping it when I put the rebuilt LS1 in the 94Z.

BTW, I am waiting for my 102MM Fast intake and TB, doesn't look like I will have the TB before the car is done next week though. Should fly by 600 to the wheels with it installed and ported.
2008 Buick Enclave CXL Buttery smoove mommy wagin
2012 CTS Coupe-sold
2014 FX37- traded

#3661098 - 04/18/09 01:43 AM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: MadKilla]
progressi Offline
Post Master Sr

Is that setup too big for my car? Its making 475 to the wheels now on an LS6 manifold. (MTI 6.6 all-bore)
#3671372 - 04/22/09 11:51 AM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: SD91RS]
Purpose Offline
SON!
Post Master

Loc: The Source
 Originally Posted By: SD91RS
$3-4k I believe (for a decent condition one)

Friend picked up a 96 TA 6sp running for $800. HG just went on it. His buddy works at a LS1 shop, so they are doing bolt ons, heads, and cam while replacing the hg's.

Agent Smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icOerAhqGv4&NR=1

#9235983 - 01/21/18 09:18 PM Re: Is the LT1 going to be the next hot budget motor? [Re: ]
Andada
Unregistered

oakley sunglasses
coach outlet
colts jerseys
coach factory outlet
reebok shoes
bengals jersey
christian louboutin shoes
minnesota vikings jerseys
ray ban sunglasses outlet
coach outlet online
uggs outlet
green bay packers jerseys
uggs outlet
indianapolis colts jerseys
nike roshe run
nike blazer pas cher
cardinals jersey
ugg outlet
raiders jerseys
coach outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
nike outlet
packers jerseys
converse trainers
ugg outlet
true religion jeans
nike huarache
oklahoma city thunder jerseys
uggs outlet
christian louboutin sale
golden state warriors jerseys
coach factory outlet
ralph lauren outlet
ray ban sunglasses
nike huarache
michael kors handbags sale
detroit lions jerseys
pittsburgh steelers jersey
ray ban sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
cheap jordan shoes
nike factory store
tennessee titans jersey
chiefs jersey
nike factory outlet
uggs outlet
canada goose outlet
cheap ray bans
yeezy shoes
jordan 8
prada shoes
christian louboutin outlet
chicago bulls
saints jerseys
salomon boots
michael kors handbags
ferragamo outlet
jordan 4
ralph lauren outlet
new york knicks jersey
falcons jersey
ed hardy uk
nike outlet
canada goose
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet online
coach outlet
kate spade outlet
cheap nfl jerseys
soccer shoes
nike outlet
coach outlet
hermes belts
nike tn
christian louboutin uk
converse shoes
jordan shoes
michael kors handbags
coach outlet online
baltimore ravens jerseys
nike air jordan
michael kors uk
mbt shoes
polo ralph lauren
patriots jerseys
polo ralph lauren
coach factory outlet
cheap ray bans
carolina jerseys
chicago bears jerseys
eagles jerseys
new orleans saints jerseys
san diego chargers jerseys
ugg outlet
ed hardy clothing
ravens jerseys
giants jersey
nike huarache
polo ralph lauren
moncler jackets
nike air huarache
prada outlet
los angeles lakers
oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren outlet
nike air huarache
ugg outlet
nike factory outlet
cheap snapbacks
nike soccer shoes
nike trainers shoes
nike trainers
chargers jerseys
uggs outlet
jimmy choo outlet
fitflops
skechers shoes
mbt shoes outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
uggs outlet
ray ban sunglasses
air huarache
true religion outlet
cleveland browns jerseys
cheap jordans
air max 90
nike outlet
hermes belt
broncos jerseys
polo ralph lauren
cheap oakley sunglasses
nike air huarache
nike outlet store
clippers jersey
ralph lauren outlet
fitflops sale clearance
49ers jersey
nhl jerseys
nike store
miami heat
coach outlet store online
ugg outlet
skechers outlet
ralph lauren uk
nike shoes
kate spade handbags
cleveland cavaliers
michael kors outlet
nfl jerseys wholesale
kate spade outlet
cheap ray bans
new england patriots jerseys
mlb jerseys
houston texans jerseys
steelers jerseys
air jordan uk
miami dolphins jerseys
kate spade sale
ferragamo shoes
fitflops sale clearance
coach outlet online
dallas cowboys jerseys
nike blazer
ugg outlet
jordan shoes
nike shoes
polo ralph lauren
true religion outlet
jordan shoes
adidas yeezy
cheap jordans
moncler outlet
fitflops sale clearance
coach outlet
jets jersey
denver broncos jerseys
polo ralph lauren
tods outlet
hugo boss outlet
uggs outlet
michael kors handbags
cheap nike shoes
nike air max 90
nike outlet store
ralph lauren outlet
titans jersey
ugg outlet
coach outlet online
true religion outlet
reebok outlet
true religion jeans
cleveland cavaliers jerseys
nike shoes
coach factory outlet
dolphins jerseys
oakland raiders jerseys
cheap nba jerseys
longchamp handbags
ugg outlet
uggs outlet
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet
true religion outlet
oakley sunglasses
uggs outlet
ecco sandals
nike tn pas cher
cincinnati bengals jerseys
nike shoes
true religion outlet store
ralph lauren polo
longchamp outlet
arizona cardinals jerseys
new york knicks
ugg outlet
nike outlet
clippers jersey for sale
cheap basketball shoes
coach factory outlet
bears jerseys
kate spade sale
jimmy choo shoes
philadelphia eagles jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
bills jerseys
washington redskins jerseys
ralph lauren outlet
coach outlet
ralph lauren outlet
san francisco 49ers jerseys
coach outlet online
oakley sunglasses
ugg outlet
coach outlet store online
cheap ray ban sunglasses
nike trainers
new york jets jerseys
redskins jerseys
cheap ray bans
ugg outlet
uggs outlet
canada goose sale
uggs outlet
jacksonville jaguars jersey
tods shoes
carolina panthers jersey
nike shoes
chicago bulls jersey
cheap oakley sunglasses
uggs outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
texans jerseys
louboutin shoes
vikings jerseys
ugg outlet
coach handbags
lions jerseys
oakley sunglasses
nba jerseys
michael kors uk
cheap mlb jerseys
jordan shoes
ecco shoes
fitflops sale
kate spade outlet
seahawks jersey
basketball shoes
salomon shoes
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
nike trainers
ray ban sunglasses
san antonio spurs jerseys
browns jerseys
air jordan 8
uggs outlet
ray ban sunglasses
hugo boss sale
uggs outlet
san antonio spurs
air jordan 4
kansas city chiefs jerseys
cowboys jerseys
miami heat jersey
atlanta falcons jerseys
los angeles lakers jerseys
fitflops shoes
cheap nhl jerseys
michael kors handbags
coach outlet
cheap jordan shoes
polo ralph lauren
oklahoma city thunder
coach outlet
coach outlet
cheap ray bans
polo ralph lauren
ray ban sunglasses
cheap ray bans
boston celtics jersey
coach outlet
nike outlet
fitflops sale clearance
ugg outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
nike roshe
coach outlet
coach outlet online
boston celtics
new york giants jerseys
golden state warriors
ray ban sunglasses
discount oakley sunglasses
ugg outlet
buffalo bills jerseys
coach outlet online
fitflops sale
polo ralph lauren outlet
canada goose jackets
nike huarache
polo ralph lauren
seattle seahawks jerseys
true religion outlet store
snapbacks wholesale
jaguars jersey

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  auxilary, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads