Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8993020 - 04/03/17 03:01 PM Business Donating goods
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: WBridge
I've been doing the cake thing for about a year now.
It hasn't been that busy and so far I've spent way more than what I've profited.
But I get these requests to donate to organizations and it's hard to say no.

So it will not benefit me tax wise because I have not made enough to pay taxes.
Making cakes is labour intensive (15-20hrs average) and initial material cost is outrageous.

I donated to a family friend this weekend and that lead to another organization who requested for a donation. It is for next Sunday and I gotta start working on it tomorrow.
They said they would cover the material if must, but not sure if I should or not. Probably ask for $50 to cover. But is it considered as a donation? The cake should cost $350-400

#8993035 - 04/03/17 03:11 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
donation would be free....you asking for $50 is just a very steep discount.

what's your point? whether it's worth it to do, or if you should even entertain the idea?

#8993037 - 04/03/17 03:13 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
BroKe Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario
Sounds like a big waste of time. Why don't you just sell them
#8993119 - 04/03/17 04:13 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: BroKe]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: TheRealCSnapper
donation would be free....you asking for $50 is just a very steep discount.

what's your point? whether it's worth it to do, or if you should even entertain the idea?

I mean Id love to help out non-profit organizations as much as possible.
But seems like all I do is doing stuff for nothing while the bank account gets thinner and thinner.

Last year, I worked full time for 2 months at the culinary school and got nothing from them. Did hours of graphic work for them for some class credits too
Now the school is closed down and my credit is useless.
Donated to another organization who toldmr I I would get some exposer, didn't mention me on website or local paper that she promised....Did 3-4 event shootings for friends for free...

So just wondered if i could get something out from donations. Ya, I guess I shouldn't charge $50 if it is a donation. But I don't need a tax credit anyway.

I should just go work at McDonald's.

Originally Posted By: Low_Budget_Honda
Sounds like a big waste of time. Why don't you just sell them

They are non-profit organization for the war vats. And the place looked like it hasn't been renovated since 1975. Don't think they would pay. Told me they are waiting to hear from Tims for some Timbit support

#8993127 - 04/03/17 04:17 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
as much as it's nice to donate, you gotta eat.

"sorry, i'd love to donate but right now i'm not in the position financially to do so."

Edited by titty sprinkles (04/03/17 04:18 PM)

#8993175 - 04/03/17 04:52 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: titty sprinkles]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
You should donate deez nutz to their face!
#8993313 - 04/03/17 07:55 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

I made a small cake for the great man who passed away a couple of days before his 90th birthday. I mentioned this in the thread in OT... he enlisted on April 3rd, 1945, the day after his 18th birthday. Fortunately or unfortunately for the trained young men who were eager to fight for the country, the war ended just 6 weeks after they put on their uniform.

The refreshment was held at the Royal Canadian Legion and the family displayed the cake. There the staff contacted me for the Vimy Monument cake that will be used next week.

I kinda wanna do it for them but that's gonna be a lot of work.

#8993326 - 04/03/17 08:09 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

you got some cake skills bra.

#8993351 - 04/03/17 08:43 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: titty sprinkles]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Loc: Milton, ON
Yeah that cake looks amazing. I think you should consider giving donations a rest until you're more established.
#8993358 - 04/03/17 08:54 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: TYJelly]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
you need exposure... not sure how tho. that is some good looking work.

#8993384 - 04/03/17 09:32 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: titty sprinkles]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks guys.
I probably do this one.
They also mentioned Canada 150th anniversary cake. That one I may have to think about.

#8993531 - 04/04/17 07:11 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Donation or not, there's no way I'd do this if I was in the hole afterwards. Sorry man, but you need to worry about yourself first.

Those cakes are unreal!

#8993631 - 04/04/17 08:57 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: LNXGUY]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
if you can afford it and believe in the cause, donate away! but understand that it's your choice and the only thing you'll get out of it is self-satisfaction and maybe a little gratitude.

if you want your donations to result in more business, realistically you'll have to target something other than the vets who are not exactly affluent. doing good will for vets will just have more vets asking for good will.

go donate your cake to an Easter party at a high school or a prom or something. then those kids will whine to mommy and daddy about wanting a personalized amaze-cake for their precious birthday and then make sure you have a price list ready to go. or partner up with a kids party gym.

#8993651 - 04/04/17 09:17 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: 4Three]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
For the ones that you donate, you should at least get some form of recognition or PR. Be in their program guides, advertising, etc. Put your flyers and business cards somewhere at the event. If they agreed to do this and didn't come through, they should pay you for it.

#8993681 - 04/04/17 09:31 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: SW20_MR2]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland and Toronto
To an extent, I agree with some others. Put business cards next to it, call it advertising, carry the loss forward at the retail value of the cake. Fake it 'til you make it. How many times do you think someone with means wondered where the cake came from and left without knowing the answer?

Next issue is efficiency, I'm sorry but 15hrs / cake? A living wage is $25?/hr meaning that without CPP/EI/overhead you're already at $375 in labour. The COST to make these cakes is roughly $500 (you need to pay yourself, even if it's just on paper), does the market support a $1000 cake? If the market doesn't support it then it will always be a hobby and the realization needs to set in quick.

So, have you done research, and if so what is out there for competition in the for profit luxury cake market?

#8993852 - 04/04/17 10:54 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: TYJelly]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
 Originally Posted By: TYJelly
Yeah that cake looks amazing. I think you should consider giving donations a rest until you're more established.

#8993884 - 04/04/17 11:14 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: 87ZCSi]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Some good points guys.
Thank you.

Originally Posted By: 87ZCSi
To an extent, I agree with some others. Put business cards next to it, call it advertising, carry the loss forward at the retail value of the cake. Fake it 'til you make it. How many times do you think someone with means wondered where the cake came from and left without knowing the answer?

Next issue is efficiency, I'm sorry but 15hrs / cake? A living wage is $25?/hr meaning that without CPP/EI/overhead you're already at $375 in labour. The COST to make these cakes is roughly $500 (you need to pay yourself, even if it's just on paper), does the market support a $1000 cake? If the market doesn't support it then it will always be a hobby and the realization needs to set in quick.

So, have you done research, and if so what is out there for competition in the for profit luxury cake market?

The market is there but many competitions.
And you have to be known to get these high end customers.
Otherwise many customers are like "what? How much for a cake?"

I believe my quality is there. Everyone so far has been very happy with the products.
Efficiency? Can't compare to the ladies who have been baking for years.

My website. Check it out if you guys like to.
http://www.layeredcreations.ca

What works for me is that I do Everything.
It takes more time but saving money for now.
I bake, decorate, take DSLR photos, manage website, use photoshop and illustrator to design cake and templates, and make cake toppers with cutting machine.

#8993916 - 04/04/17 11:39 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
Weddings!!! Nobody scoffs at paying $XXXX on a wedding cake. What about going to the brial show?
I sent your link to a friend who is getting married. Very cool cakes!

#8993926 - 04/04/17 11:46 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Real talk...

1) Let's look at a single case. What should a cake cost, from a competitor, that you yourself could create?
2) What is material cost of said cake had you produced it?
3) How many hours would be invested had you produced it?
4) If you had to ballpark, what is the cost of specialty tools you have access to?
5) Is this a career aspiration?
6) How about regular cakes to a similar crowd that are fan-fucking-tastic? There was this guy in Whitby we'd buy cakes from for every event, $50-60, German chocolate cakes, strawberry shortcakes, regular birthday cakes, whatever. They never broke the bank but everyone loved them and he was happy to take the order. At family gatherings it was always my responsibility to bring the cake because it was the BEST! He also made me my wedding cake for $800, but I think he made more from me from regular cakes because I kept going back. I had never bought one or baked one as good as what he'd make for me.

In my humble opinion (as an 8 time business owner, 5 failed, 2 sold, 1 currently operational, /notbragpost), depending on the realization from above it is necessary (knowing nothing about cakes) to:
1) keep doing pro-bono / reduced cost work
2) target it at an audience making sure that attendees MAY be interested in a nice cake, you can't invest without any expectation of return
3) get rid of the free website, that's labeled all over as a free website
4) your business cards can't be free either with an advertisement on the back.
5) don't come off as desperate or in need, and don't tell anyone a cake was ever free or discounted. It diminishes your brand.
6) in a 'cake agreement' for which a cake is discounted, you need to advertise, if they pay full price, no advertisement necessary.

My mind is overflowing at the moment but this is what I've got anyway at the moment. Don't give up, just look at it as a business for a moment and see if it is one.

#8994055 - 04/04/17 01:05 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: 87ZCSi]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
how good are your cakes?

i mean, i can tell that they look fucking dope but how do they taste.....

if the actually taste well and you don't just use betty crocker mix and dress it up with pretty fondant, i can see if can refer you to friends.

parents would pay top $$ for a cake for a kids birthday....

#8994314 - 04/04/17 04:06 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
This is the first mistake newbs get into when they start their business. They do to much for to little and don't know when to stop giving until it's to late.

Charity work is good to a point. You can't do charity work 100% of your time. Like a lot of others stated, you need to make sure you're getting exposure. If my products were for a charity cause, i would have left some sort of branding on my products OR have them sign a contract stating what kind of exposure and credit is to be given to me (trust me they will sign anything if you are giving away a free product).

Or if you have a company branding banner, have them put it up as part of the contract for the exposure. I'm all about giving back but you can't go broke doing it, you can donate your profits, but you shouldn't go into debt doing it.

So my wedding is in coming up and we ordered a 3 layer cake for $375 w/butter cream, fondant flowers on the edge of the bottom tear and second tear. Each tear is a different flavor as well. My G-unit shopped around from local cake makers on random local wedding forums and FB.

I would suggest you start post whoring your products on all these forums, wedding, parenting forums, etc. It's a business and you have spend the time for marketing. Do this consistently like every other day in the mornings or something. Make it a habit.

Edited by OracerO (04/04/17 04:12 PM)

#8994377 - 04/04/17 05:08 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: OracerO]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: zc911
Weddings!!! Nobody scoffs at paying $XXXX on a wedding cake. What about going to the brial show?
I sent your link to a friend who is getting married. Very cool cakes!

Ya, I've participated a couple of months ago.
Thank you. I haven't got any PM though

Originally Posted By: 87ZCSi
Real talk...

How about regular cakes to a similar crowd that are fan-fucking-tastic? There was this guy in Whitby we'd buy cakes from for every event, $50-60, German chocolate cakes, strawberry shortcakes, regular birthday cakes, whatever. They never broke the bank but everyone loved them and he was happy to take the order. At family gatherings it was always my responsibility to bring the cake because it was the BEST! He also made me my wedding cake for $800, but I think he made more from me from regular cakes because I kept going back. I had never bought one or baked one as good as what he'd make for me.

Unfortunately I am not equipped to produce ordinary cakes. I mean I can't compete with bakeries that makes 100 cakes a day and sell a strawberry short cakes for $30-40. I like those moist cakes too but it won't be profitable for me to make one at a time.

Originally Posted By: TheRealCSnapper
how good are your cakes?

i mean, i can tell that they look fucking dope but how do they taste.....

if the actually taste well and you don't just use betty crocker mix and dress it up with pretty fondant, i can see if can refer you to friends.

parents would pay top $$ for a cake for a kids birthday....

I only use Duncan Hines mix...jk
No shortening or artificial flavours used in my cakes. I use nothing less than Swiss Meringue Buttercream,tried 4 different vanilla cakes because I wasn't happy with others.
My friends would tell me if they suck. It's been very positive.
I use the same ingredients for those give away cakes as well. Doesn't matter how nice they look. If they taste like turd, no one would come back.

Originally Posted By: OracerO

So my wedding is in coming up and we ordered a 3 layer cake for $375 w/butter cream, fondant flowers on the edge of the bottom tear and second tear. Each tear is a different flavor as well. My G-unit shopped around from local cake makers on random local wedding forums and FB.

That is very cheap. I would like to see how they can do a 3 layer cake for $375. Though 3 layer cake could start from 10" base or 8" base. Makes big difference.
And fondant/gumpaste flower prices vary as well. It can easily go $20-30 per flower.

Round the cake edges with my flowers, I probably have to charge $375 just for the flowers.

Buttercream as well. There are many ways to make it. You can just mix powder sugar and butter (American Buttercream). Like mentioned above, I won't do anything less than Swiss Meringue Buttercream.

I can also save time and material by not covering the cake board. If someone must pay less, you have to cut from areas like that.

Example of an unfinished cake board. (not mine)

#8994383 - 04/04/17 05:21 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Quote:
I am not equipped to produce ordinary cakes. I mean I can't compete with bakeries that makes 100 cakes a day and sell a strawberry short cakes for $30-40.

I typically don't eat/like those cakes, in my example it's a guy in his house where I'd buy cakes and pick them up. They were 50-60, not 30-40, so there was definitely a premium present but they were loved by all. I think he told me once a $60 cake takes him 30 mins of real time and $15-20, so he's up $40 in 30 mins. Solid gig. Not pushing you to depreciate the product but in terms of time investment the super high end may be hard to stay in. Besides the more quality product/units you turn out the more referrals you'll get.

#8994390 - 04/04/17 05:30 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: 87ZCSi]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Good for him. Great baker he is.
I can't see myself making a cake in 30min. The whipped cream alone probably takes 15-20 min. Prep to bake 30min. Wash dishes 15-20 min. Build a small cake 30 min. lol

2 hours at least.

and there is time and travel need to get the ingredients unless you are always stacked with fresh fruits and dairy.

#8994395 - 04/04/17 05:40 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Don't take it personally, just looking at business opportunity from an outside perspective since you came here asking. If you'll never be able to pay yourself, or it's too much of a passion/art and you're heavily invested and OCD/perfectionist and efficiency/cutting a detail corner is going to be an issue then it's good to know now. Of course you're going to get referrals to do stuff for free. You could piss in it and get those referrals. Getting market value is another thing altogether. It sounds like you want to monetize this, and there's a road to getting there.
#8994396 - 04/04/17 05:44 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: 87ZCSi]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Not taking personally.
I was genuinely thinking him as a experienced baker who can whip out stuff left and right.

#8994397 - 04/04/17 05:44 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

have a cousin who does bridal makeup and is booked up pretty much all summer. if you have any cards i can forward them to her if anyone is looking for a cake.

#8994409 - 04/04/17 06:10 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: titty sprinkles]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
Your cakes look sick man!
#8994413 - 04/04/17 06:16 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: titty sprinkles]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Super hard market to get into. Lots of ppl want to be cake boss now. Someone at work found a cake person on Kijiji. Unfortunately I don't have any more pics, but this is the simplest cake I have seen and it cost $120 or so. All hand made and tastes great apparently. Forgot how big this cake was, but enough to feed 20 at least.

Best of luck, but you really need to hit multimedia hardcore and get with foody bloggers to get the word out. Honestly weddings blow, because most just want the cheapest cake that looks decent lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8994414 - 04/04/17 06:18 PM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: Denis Si]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Your cakes look great, you shouldn't have problems selling them, but i am assuming you are not very good at pedaling your own product?

If you are not developing any leads with every free giveaway it's a waste of time. I will take a contrarian view to most here...I would totally focus on free cake giveaways, in particular ones with high exposure and high probability of leads. If for every free cake I can sell 3+ as a by product form the event, yep I am winning. Think of the free cake as your advertising cost, you have to be crafty about it tho.

If you did this for the veterans you had a perfect platform to scale to a much larger audience, the veterans' families, for 1 vet you have 3-4+ potential customers. Did you hang around and work that angle, heck if you just bought a cheap ass snapchat filter for $20 for the veteran giveaway (provided there were kids) that would've been crazy exposure for you, this is all super basic.

I mean i recall even here Civic Dude reached out to you about cakes, did you follow up and close that? Even if you sold it to him at cost or deep discount you would've had 100% ROI as someone on here would buy from you if Civic dude vouched for the quality. Right now i don't know you, you are just as good as a kijiji person, but if another member vouched especially a reputable one then it totally changes the dynamic.

Not sure your efforts are focused in the right place, product looks good tho. Good luck.

#8998550 - 04/09/17 08:39 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: Risky Business]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

#8998552 - 04/09/17 08:52 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: porschetr]
zaius Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
wow. the multicolored bricks look nice !

#8998553 - 04/09/17 09:04 AM Re: Business Donating goods [Re: zaius]
porschetr Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks.
CBC is feeding live from the memorial right now.
https://www.facebook.com/cbcnews/videos/10155347190494604/

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads