Page 6 of 25 « First<45678>Last »
Topic Options
#8965212 - 03/06/17 02:58 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: titty sprinkles]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
< snipped. Honestly no biggie. Expect the doc invited 3 other nurses in to watch the procedure. Geez thanks

#8965475 - 03/06/17 05:41 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: zc911]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
I gotta do it. I'm too tired to have a 3rd one
#8965539 - 03/06/17 06:12 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: fatso]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: fatso
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
wow they cute doe!!

They are!

Fuck, this waiting game for the kid is driving me nuts... Every time I'm out and see a baby, I can't help but to yell out "BABYYYYY!!!!" People are starting to look at me funny.....

Anyway, so is there a particular video on youtube you peeps are basing your swaddle technique on?

Awesome you are so excited, damn.

Maybe i am broken, i was never excited about babies especially other people's kids. I knew i wanted kids, but wasn't like "omg can't wait". To be honest it still hasn't even settled in that I have a kid. I just go through the motions, but i don't feel it yet. Maybe once i go to work and start missing her it will set in.

/stalin

#8965553 - 03/06/17 06:24 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: titty sprinkles]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Lol no incision? Group buy?

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8965632 - 03/06/17 08:41 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Maybe i am broken

Most likely this ;\) \:D

#8965645 - 03/06/17 09:01 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Denis Si]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Loc: Milton, ON
 Originally Posted By: Denis Si
I gotta do it. I'm too tired to have a 3rd one

+1.

#8965948 - 03/07/17 07:58 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
wow they cute doe!!

They are!

Fuck, this waiting game for the kid is driving me nuts... Every time I'm out and see a baby, I can't help but to yell out "BABYYYYY!!!!" People are starting to look at me funny.....

Anyway, so is there a particular video on youtube you peeps are basing your swaddle technique on?

Maybe i am broken, i was never excited about babies especially other people's kids. I knew i wanted kids, but wasn't like "omg can't wait". To be honest it still hasn't even settled in that I have a kid. I just go through the motions, but i don't feel it yet. Maybe once i go to work and start missing her it will set in.

/stalin

that's actually pretty normal, i felt similar. it's also weird at first because "daddy" can't do much for the newborn except hold him/her for comfort, help out with that needs to be done and use your pinky to sooth him/her and well that's about it...mom does everything else lol.

trust me as the kid ages you'll play a huuuuge roll and with every passing year (6 months even) it gets more "fun" since you can actually play with her. when you get home everyday from work and she see's you it's the best feeling in the world.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8965965 - 03/07/17 08:12 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

So so true. Cherish these first few years as it will pass by in no time.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8966122 - 03/07/17 09:42 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Hatorade]
fatso Offline
Post Master

Loc: Ontario
So day 5 - how's it goin? What have you learned? Have you seen the black poo yet? How's the sleep situation? How's your wife? SHARE SHARE SHARE

BABIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIES!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: As a follow up, I just wanted to say I'm not looking forward to seeing the umbilical cord fall off... I'm probably going to be really freaked out about it and pick it up with chopsticks or something. This surely goes into the food recycling bin, yes?

Further Edit: Risky - try this and report back - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2C8MkY7Co8

Edited by fatso (03/07/17 10:34 AM)

#8966686 - 03/07/17 02:11 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

wow they cute doe!!

They are!

/stalin

Takes time, you can't do much other than take care of the wifey & help her recover.

#8966701 - 03/07/17 02:17 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: fatso]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
So day 5 - how's it goin? What have you learned? Have you seen the black poo yet? How's the sleep situation? How's your wife? SHARE SHARE SHARE

Edit: As a follow up, I just wanted to say I'm not looking forward to seeing the umbilical cord fall off... I'm probably going to be really freaked out about it and pick it up with chopsticks or something. This surely goes into the food recycling bin, yes?

Further Edit: Risky - try this and report back - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2C8MkY7Co8

guyanese people have this weird tradition that you bury the umbilical cord that falls off under a tree, then the tree will be healthy and give off lots of fruit. not sure if organic or not doe.

#8966746 - 03/07/17 02:42 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: titty sprinkles]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Meh better off eating the placenta!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8966796 - 03/07/17 03:14 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: fatso]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Black poo lasted for the first 2-3 days, then it becomes green/brown and seedy and then a mustard yellow.

I will share some stuff that I wish I knew.

For starters every parent, nurse, doctor, cat, and dog will have an opinion as to what you should do, how you should do it, when you should do it, etc.

CN: Ignore everyone (including this very post – it’s just my opinion), listen to you/your wife and use common sense. The amount of shit and contradiction that you will hear is just fucking crazy, to the point where you don’t really give a shit what people tell you anymore. Assuming you know the basics from the parental classes I won’t go over that, but I will go over things nobody told me about that were frustrating.

I can’t stress this enough, but your wife is your #1 priority, kid is secondary.

Delivery:

When you get admitted since it’s your first kid you will probably go through a few shifts worth of delivery nurses. Ours were fantastic except the actual nurse that was there during the delivery, to the point where I had fantasies about smashing her head against a door frame.

When your wife starts having contractions the nurse and you will be holding up her legs and motivating her to push. Here is where a good nurse vs. a shitty one will make or brake the delivery. Since I had no idea what to expect I just stood and watched what she did, but after watching the monitor for her contractions common sense kicked in and I realized the nurse was a lazy cunt hence why the contractions weren’t showing signs of progress. When my wife would have contractions at times the nurse wouldn’t even be in the room, even though my wife was fully dilated, wtf. So I took over at that point and held my wife on my own and did the pushing with her. The contraction monitor showed WAY higher contraction results once it was just her and I without the nurse. I wasn’t fucking around, but hours of bullshit attempts with a lazy nurse and my wife was drained so then you end up with an emergency c section (NOT THE END OF THE WORLD). CN: your job when she is pushing is like being a spotter for your buddy during bench. You can have a shitty spotter (this nurse) or you can have me spot you and i will get 2-3 more reps out of you for a real workout. This is how it works.

Post Delivery:
After delivery you will go into a recovery room where you will be left for a few hours and nobody will tell you what’s happening, asking them will be like pulling teeth (notice a pattern here, this is because of our shit delivery nurse). This is when you do skin to skin, don’t be waiting on the nurse to show you or in fact don’t even bother asking anyone anything. Once you are there, undress yourself and do skin to skin asap, you don’t need to ask how, or when, or ask for permission. Just fucking do it especially if your wife isn’t capable (watch youtube now)

Once you are in postnatal care for 24-48 hours provided you have no complications things will settle down. Nurses in this area were absolutely phenomenal and will be your life line. You learn how to breast feed, bathe, do’s/don’ts. A lot of repeats from the parenting class stuff, but this time with an actual kid and hands on learning.

Breastfeeding:
This was the most challenging part. Breastfeeding among women is like the dick size measuring for men, kinda.
What it comes down to is you are not a real woman if you don’t breastfeed, you are lazy, etc. There is definitely a stigma associated with it. It didn’t help that the prenatal class nurse made it seem like you are a complete vulture if you don’t breastfeed.
Our intention was always to breastfeed because it’s the natural way to go about it and for me because it’s cheaper than formula lol. The reality is that breastfeeding is hard at first, in our case my wife tried for hours and you can only imagine that when it doesn’t work the emotional stress she has to deal with by feeling less of a mother because society, etc…it’s real. We had to supplement with formula so she doesn’t lose weight. After we got control of the situation and she started latching we are now slowly phasing our the formula and moving to breastfeeding only. If it doesn’t happen right away it’s ok, if it doesn’t happen at all, it’s also ok, if the kid is formula fed, IT’S OK!!!! Fuck, they have a lifetime ahead of them to eat shit and become fat unhealthy fucks, formula or breastmilk is the least of your worries over the lifetime of kid, but because idiot new parents like to overcomplicate shit let’s then have these arguments when they are completely irrelevant.
/rant.

For breastfeeding because it’s super important for the woman from an emotional point of view, please do yourself a favour and splurge on a proper breastfeeding pillow. These can be bought directly at the hospital for around $70. It’s an absolute must and probably the single most important purchase for us to date, forget uppababy vista and other bullshit, none of that shit matters as much as this breastfeeding pillow if breastfeeding is your goal.

Lastly, bring a notebook and pen to the hospital and document times of breastfeeding, colours of shit, piss, etc. That’s the only metric to measure a kid’s health now, their piss/shit and eating pattern. There are phone apps as well, fuck that you won’t have time to fiddle around with that garbage. Old school pen and paper are your best bets.

Once I had some downtime I put together a spreadsheet and logged all the info so I have daily summaries of total formula consumed, total time spent on each breast to breastfeed, all diaper changes wet vs. dirty, etc. This is all summarized in a daily log that you spoon feed to your doctor so they are not rummaging through pages of notes, but you are actually making them work for their money. Humans are lazy, make it super easy so you get the most out of them.

Once you are home, try to stagger your help, you don’t want two grandmothers at the same time, you need their help, but selfishly stagger when they come. You will need that downtime for yourself. I'd also recommend not taking visitors in the hospital or even at home for a little while. Your hands will be tied, it's just a waste of everyone's time imo (just immediate family, that's it).

Again, taking care of your wife is number 1 priority. The kid is secondary, they just need food and their shit cleaned, your wife will be recovering from a crazy experience so that’s where I’d suggest focusing your attention.

With all that said, enjoy it, it really isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. Once you settle in the comfort of your own home and develop a system and stagger the help from family, shit becomes autopilot. I am sure it will get more challenging in the future, but in the end BILLIONS of people have gone through it, so it really isn’t that bad.

I am sure everyone has different opinions and thoughts, that’s just my take on it so far.

#8966818 - 03/07/17 03:25 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

This is the type of shit we got at our shower, throw it out now, it's fucking useless:

This is what you want:

Buy it now, it's double at the hospital.

#8966837 - 03/07/17 03:36 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
f22b-dohc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: canadia
^

fatso told you to stop reading
love you man

ps. that not my kid

#8966839 - 03/07/17 03:36 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Ya we had a massive pillow for dual feeding. Think it was my brest friend or something like that
#8966864 - 03/07/17 03:55 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Big Tasty]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Hahahhahahhahhahahahahha that was funny risky!
Yep do what works!! As long as there is poo and pee it's all good

#8966906 - 03/07/17 04:34 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Denis Si]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
"Post Delivery:
After delivery you will go into a recovery room where you will be left for a few hours and nobody will tell you what’s happening, asking them will be like pulling teeth (notice a pattern here, this is because of our shit delivery nurse). This is when you do skin to skin, don’t be waiting on the nurse to show you or in fact don’t even bother asking anyone anything. Once you are there, undress yourself and do skin to skin asap, you don’t need to ask how, or when, or ask for permission. Just fucking do it especially if your wife isn’t capable (watch youtube now)"

so much this. my story on this is that the wife will be useless and who can blame her, she just shot a football out of her poon.

Eli was taken to the NICU but then was fine so we went to the recovery room. she had the black tarry poo so i was changing her diaper. within the two mins that i had the diaper off, she pee'd in that little bowl that they are in the first day, i was freaking out, tried to call a nurse to give me a hand but crickets. man'd up, cleaned out the bowl thing, gave her a bath, changed diaper and clothes, swaddled, fed, and she knocked out. all of this while being awake for more than 48hrs. imo this is game time for you as a dad. next day in the postnatal care room the nurse comes around and was like "this is how you bathe baby" and i was all like:

Edited by titty sprinkles (03/07/17 04:36 PM)

#8967105 - 03/07/17 08:07 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: titty sprinkles]
SW20_MR2 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario, Canada
Glad to hear things are going well. Sounds like you've got stuff well under control.

#8967177 - 03/07/17 09:05 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
TYJelly Offline
Post Master

Loc: Milton, ON
Awesome job. Sounds like you've got a good routine going. You're so right about all the advice you get. You realize pretty quick what works and what doesn't for your own child and situation.
#8967219 - 03/07/17 09:33 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Sounds like you went to MSH.

Although breast milk is not critical, it's very beneficial for the newborn. Formula can replicate the nutrition of breast milk but it cannot replicate the antibodies in breast milk (aka liquid gold). However, some babies/mother, like my son/wife, had a hard time latching so we resorted to pump and bottle feed, which only lasted for 5 months (due to using the pump method)... wished it lasted longer like 12 months but what can you do.

Tried all sorts of remedies like lactation cookies, fenugreek, mothers tea, the best lactation consultants and doctor/clinic in Toronto (Newman Clinic/Kindercare).

Tip: Ask your OB at your next visit for the Jack Newman All Purpose Nipple Ointment (APNO), it will come handy if you guys try the breast milk method (washing bottles is a fucking PITA and you need to sterilize the bottles until 6 months old).

Hope you got all the rest that you could.

#8967263 - 03/07/17 10:11 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: xza8]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

I just read my post, i came off a bit bitter...and i am mostly because that one fucking nurse. From the 9-12 amazing nurses that looked after us 24/7, THE WORST one was in the delivery so i am still triggered AF.

Just to clarify, people giving advice are not bad people, but very few individuals are capable of giving objective advice based off personal experience, this is why so much of it fucking sucks. This is also why those worth listening to are usually the old school grandmothers that have seen this a million times and give you the basic groundwork without the anecdotal shit, the rest will be entirely situational based on your circumstance that you will have to rely on your own gut/common sense to figure out.

#8967270 - 03/07/17 10:20 PM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

I just read my post, i came off a bit bitter...and i am mostly because that one fucking nurse. From the 9-12 amazing nurses that looked after us 24/7, THE WORST one was in the delivery so i am still triggered AF.

Just to clarify, people giving advice are not bad people, but very few individuals are capable of giving objective advice based off personal experience, this is why so much of it fucking sucks. This is also why those worth listening to are usually the old school grandmothers that have seen this a million times and give you the basic groundwork without the anecdotal shit, the rest will be entirely situational based on your circumstance that you will have to rely on your own gut/common sense to figure out.

Except Chinese grandmothers/mothers.

Quote:

During confinement, mothers are refrained to habits which may expose their body to physical agents such cold weather or wind that are claimed to be detrimental to their recovery. Specifically, mothers are not allowed[5] to:

Wash their hair
Take a bath or shower
Climb the stairs
Have contact with water
Read books
Cry
Have sex
Have wind exposure
Sew

#8967331 - 03/08/17 12:21 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Risky Business]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

Nailed it. In 1-2 months it gets more real, but you've got a handle on it

The only other thing I can say is keep an open mind & there's going to be lots of trial & error. Bottles, diapers, soaps, wipes, food etc it never ends. Once you know it all like second nature, you're good. I find the parents that have the most difficulties are ones that refuse to adapt because they've been told by someone that things MUST be this way. Don't even get me started on the amber necklace or basic hygiene.

You're good man.

#8967333 - 03/08/17 12:25 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Wildout]
Wildout Offline
Post Master Jr

For the fathers here, what was your random splurge before first child?

Risky bought a car, Loudsubs bought a motorcycle. I think I bought a shit ton of Dainese gear & went on a 900km motorcycle trip across Ontario lol

#8967374 - 03/08/17 06:43 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Wildout]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

First one toning really

2nd was my buddy's 40bday trip. Rented Harley's in LA, rode to Vegas, Vegas 2 days, back to la for 3.

#8967429 - 03/08/17 08:06 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Wildout]
fatso Offline
Post Master

Didn't sound bitter at all - I simply took it as your experience with the one nurse so, yeah, grain of salt type of thing.

On our side, we're going through the midwifery that's offered through peel region. Things have been pretty good so far - we're working with a team of 3 midwives and for the most part, they've been great and very supportive. Of the 3 though, there's one in particular with an odd bedside manner - she's almost bully-ish in the way she communicates her opinions on things like epidurals and what not. Hoping she's not the one on duty when our kid starts pecking his way out of the egg.

Originally Posted By: Wildout

Risky bought a car, Loudsubs bought a motorcycle. I think I bought a shit ton of Dainese gear & went on a 900km motorcycle trip across Ontario lol

We just pulled the trigger on a VW Golf. Expecting delivery within the next two weeks - hopefully the kid isn't early.

#8967549 - 03/08/17 09:42 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: fatso]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

My wife gave birth to first through obgyn, 2nd was midwife. It was great leaving the hospital 5 hours after birth and have then come over to check up and do tests.

Both kids were with no epi

#8967578 - 03/08/17 10:04 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Wildout]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Nailed it. In 1-2 months it gets more real, but you've got a handle on it

The only other thing I can say is keep an open mind & there's going to be lots of trial & error. Bottles, diapers, soaps, wipes, food etc it never ends. Once you know it all like second nature, you're good. I find the parents that have the most difficulties are ones that refuse to adapt because they've been told by someone that things MUST be this way. Don't even get me started on the amber necklace or basic hygiene.

You're good man.

Lots of trial and error.

We have SO many types of bottles, pacifiers, strollers, car seats.

#8967587 - 03/08/17 10:09 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Denis Si]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Interesting thing for us, my wife never got to experience the "water breaking/rush to hospital" thing. For our first child she went in for a routine check up and they saw here amniotic fluid was low, they decided then to deliver our daughter and schedule later the same day. With the twins it was a scheduled c-section so again, go in for our "appointment".

She still feels cheated from that experience.

#8967695 - 03/08/17 11:13 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: fatso]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Didn't sound bitter at all - I simply took it as your experience with the one nurse so, yeah, grain of salt type of thing.

On our side, we're going through the midwifery that's offered through peel region. Things have been pretty good so far - we're working with a team of 3 midwives and for the most part, they've been great and very supportive. Of the 3 though, there's one in particular with an odd bedside manner - she's almost bully-ish in the way she communicates her opinions on things like epidurals and what not. Hoping she's not the one on duty when our kid starts pecking his way out of the egg.

We just pulled the trigger on a VW Golf. Expecting delivery within the next two weeks - hopefully the kid isn't early.

Why not sport wagon?

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8967715 - 03/08/17 11:22 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Hatorade]
fatso Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: xza8

Lots of trial and error.

We have SO many types of bottles, pacifiers, strollers, car seats.

Yeah... This seems to be the norm - every parent ends up with tons of stuff they used once and then ditched.

Originally Posted By: Hatorade

Why not sport wagon?

1) Wagon's too big - wife will be the main driver and coming from a Cooper S, she wanted to retain something of a similar size, but still fit the car seat and stroller in the trunk.

2) 292HP + awd \:D Fucking excited for this...

#8967730 - 03/08/17 11:40 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: fatso]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Baller!

I like the all track, but not the price tag.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8967747 - 03/08/17 11:53 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: Hatorade]
fatso Offline
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Hatorade
Baller!

Calm down - this ain't no Porsche. I'm just further delaying Disney cruises so we can get to our upcoming doctor appointments really really quickly

#8967754 - 03/08/17 11:57 AM Re: Back to basics [Re: fatso]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Page 6 of 25 « First<45678>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads