Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8953152 - 02/22/17 09:06 AM Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up?
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
Gotta pay to play. Lowest tax in gta, STILL cry
#8953197 - 02/22/17 09:36 AM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: Denis Si]
fatso Offline
Post Master

Loc: Ontario
Because the bump in perceived or market value of their home really doesn't mean anything to a homeowner that's not thinking about moving out. It just ends up being an expense that could potentially force them into a situation where they'd have to move out to come live with me out in the 905. So really... all this is doing is creating a larger delta between the rich and not-so-rich, and ultimately moving towards eliminating the middle-class.

In the opposite, and obviously hypothetical situation, if values drop all of a sudden, would our dear government be so quick to lower everyone's property tax?

#8953217 - 02/22/17 09:46 AM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: fatso]
BroKe Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, Ontario
^^^^
Agreed

#8953221 - 02/22/17 09:50 AM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: fatso]
snowman888 Offline
Jr Member

Originally Posted By: fatso
Because the bump in perceived or market value of their home really doesn't mean anything to a homeowner that's not thinking about moving out. It just ends up being an expense that could potentially force them into a situation where they'd have to move out

This. There's still a few original homeowners in Toronto, that puts them in the senior age group. Saying that I think there is a tax deduction for seniors if you have a senior in your life might be worth a look into this.

#8953222 - 02/22/17 09:51 AM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: snowman888]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Are we talking about a $100/year increase here?
#8953259 - 02/22/17 10:17 AM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: Risky Business]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
because people don't want to pay more for things....
#8953278 - 02/22/17 10:32 AM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
I get that people don't want any more taxes but where is the city gonna get cash?

Taxes on homes makes sense since it's the lowest in gta and since Toronto has such an IT population it would be the most effective cash cow for them

#8953457 - 02/22/17 12:30 PM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: Denis Si]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Denis Si
I get that people don't want any more taxes but where is the city gonna get cash?

Taxes on homes makes sense since it's the lowest in gta and since Toronto has such an IT population it would be the most effective cash cow for them

oh yeah. i agree with you, but i was just answering your question in OP as to why ppl are outraged.

ppl want more for less, that's always been the case.

look at here for example, to say that Wynne is not liked would be understatement of the century, but then everyone is also jerking each other off because of the EV rebate. it's like, where do you think that money comes from....

#8953595 - 02/22/17 01:42 PM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: fatso]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
Because the bump in perceived or market value of their home really doesn't mean anything to a homeowner that's not thinking about moving out. It just ends up being an expense that could potentially force them into a situation where they'd have to move out to come live with me out in the 905. So really... all this is doing is creating a larger delta between the rich and not-so-rich, and ultimately moving towards eliminating the middle-class.

In the opposite, and obviously hypothetical situation, if values drop all of a sudden, would our dear government be so quick to lower everyone's property tax?

I'm not sure this is generally the case...but of course, there will be edge cases where this is so. It certainly wouldn't be expected to be the norm.
I'm seeing increases of like $50 per month. That's not insubstantial, but in the grand scheme of all bills, it's negligible. Shrugs.

XD XD XD XD

#8953629 - 02/22/17 01:59 PM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: Denis Si]
f22b-dohc Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: canadia
 Originally Posted By: Denis Si

makes sense.

#8953656 - 02/22/17 02:09 PM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: f22b-dohc]
87ZCSi Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Portland and Toronto
How much cash does the city need? On a per household basis tax as a value in currency isn't much different Oshawa vs Toronto (as a loose example). A person can only consume so many roads. Utilities are paid for separate. Condo's have got to be a property tax cash cow! 500 units each paying a > few thousand/year with average 1.x person occupancy and all utilities and services are paid on top of the taxes.
#8953716 - 02/22/17 02:46 PM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: 4age]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: 4age

I'm not sure this is generally the case...but of course, there will be edge cases where this is so. It certainly wouldn't be expected to be the norm.
I'm seeing increases of like $50 per month. That's not insubstantial, but in the grand scheme of all bills, it's negligible. Shrugs.

$50/month = $600 annually, not chump change that's for sure.

Someone should start a property tax poll, sadly I bet I'm near the top \:\(

#8953834 - 02/22/17 03:36 PM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: SuPeR-MaRiO
 Originally Posted By: 4age

$50/month = $600 annually, not chump change that's for sure.

Someone should start a property tax poll, sadly I bet I'm near the top \:\(

whoops sorry, 50 per payment I make 6 payments per year. so $25 per month \:\)

Edited by 4age (02/22/17 03:37 PM)

XD XD XD XD

#8954094 - 02/22/17 06:20 PM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: 4age]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

The proposed hike works out to like $10/month for the average home. People are all up in arms over that.
#8954641 - 02/23/17 11:40 AM Re: Why are 416ers crying about property tax going up? [Re: Risky Business]
4Three Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Markham, ON, Canada
dude, that's like a latte and a half! they have the right to be rattled.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads