Page 2 of 2 <12
Topic Options
#8916635 - 01/19/17 09:01 AM Re: So who is interested in buying an investment condo [Re: Risky Business]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
If you move and rent your condo still remains your principal residence, it's only if you bought a second property. The whole point of this is for government not to allow people to cash in on property appreciation on more than 1 property.

If you are renting the new place where you live, you don't stand to profit from appreciation so it won't be an issue. WHen you sell your condo the entire appreciation will be tax free.

Thank you. I guess I sorta misunderstood. I will double check with my accountant for clarification, but I like what I'm reading.

#8916640 - 01/19/17 09:14 AM Re: So who is interested in buying an investment condo [Re: Risky Business]
xza8 Offline
Sr Member

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
If you move and rent your condo still remains your principal residence, it's only if you bought a second property. The whole point of this is for government not to allow people to cash in on property appreciation on more than 1 property.

If you are renting the new place where you live, you don't stand to profit from appreciation so it won't be an issue. WHen you sell your condo the entire appreciation will be tax free.

If you rent more than 50% of your condo, it will actually not qualify, even if its your 1 and only property.

Unless the CRA doesn't know about your tenant.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-inv...article4544160/

However, there is good tax advice and bad tax advice. Paying tax means you are making $. Don't let tax deter you from making $.

#8916647 - 01/19/17 09:20 AM Re: So who is interested in buying an investment condo [Re: xza8]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Damn it, I knew someone would bring up the caveat.

I didn't want to get into specifics, but in the end, no one renting a higher end condo is going to claim rent expense as they won't be eligible for any deductions, so I am already under the assumption OP would go in that direction.

Page 2 of 2 <12

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads