Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8914784 - 01/17/17 12:20 PM Home automation controller recommendations
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I'm looking to get a smart home controller to use with Z-Wave and Zigbee devices. I don't think I need anything to fancy, I'd just like to control a few dimmers, my garage door opener, etc. From what I've seen a lot of these controllers/hubs have Wifi routers built into them which I don't need (Asus AC3100 already installed). Can I pick up something that's just the control unit itself? I know a few of you guys work with this stuff. I've been looking at the Samsung Smartthings hub, the Almond+ and the Vera+ unit.

#8914971 - 01/17/17 02:14 PM Re: Home automation controller recommendations [Re: LNXGUY]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
My friend in the business really likes Control4. I don't know much about it. Might be too much.

#8915208 - 01/17/17 06:52 PM Re: Home automation controller recommendations [Re: JEFFOS]
robbbby Offline
master electrician
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Canada
pretty sure loudsubz would be the guy to talk to about this.
#8915386 - 01/18/17 06:24 AM Re: Home automation controller recommendations [Re: robbbby]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I agree with Jeff although the system will be overkill for what you want you have the ability to control everything....But the price is high and comtrol4 systems are only available through dealers and you are somewhat locked out of your system after...It's the nature of this industry. A simple controller like the wink hub would be what you want for lights
#8915529 - 01/18/17 09:56 AM Re: Home automation controller recommendations [Re: loudsubz]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Thanks man, I had a feeling Control4 was just way too much for what I wanted. Have you had any experience with the consumer grade stuff like the Wink hub?

#8915577 - 01/18/17 10:32 AM Re: Home automation controller recommendations [Re: LNXGUY]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
Thanks man, I had a feeling Control4 was just way too much for what I wanted. Have you had any experience with the consumer grade stuff like the Wink hub?

Unfortunately no, just from research into the units and watching videos etc.

If it lives up to its expectations it should work fine for the devices it does connect to, but most of those controllers don't go in depth as far as what/how they control. The reason control4 and other high end systems cost so much is they offer every means of connection for autiomation (IP, Zigbee, Zwave, Serial, IR, Relay, etc) whereas the smaller systems like wink usually use the more consumer oriented pairings like zwave, bluetooth, ip etc so they are somewhat limited.

Another plus to control4 is it does everything, even A/V whereas these smaller units just do lighting, blinds, locks etc, and if you want AV you need other systems that operate independently.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads