Page 5 of 10 « First<34567>Last »
Topic Options
#8932531 - 02/01/17 12:25 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
 Originally Posted By: Hatorade
He never will. He's been talking about it for years now...

Can you blame him? I wouldn't be comfortable at all buying regardless of my income/downpayment/etc. It's a big gamble and burden to carry right now.

Currently no. But what about when he first started looking years ago? We call agree that now isn't the time to buy... or is it since lots of people are still hung up on a market correction.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8932548 - 02/01/17 12:31 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Hatorade]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Statements like "Just buy already" would only apply if Jeff had his own place and was selling it to finance the new purchase. This way its all relative whether he buys now or bought 2 years ago. But from what I understand that isn't the case and so I can't blame him for being cautious. I don't think I would be able to go forward under the current circumstances because just like everyone has said, you can't out-save the increase in home prices.
#8932591 - 02/01/17 12:44 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Just checked Oakville, there are a lot of decent detached homes for less than a mil maybe I am not looking in the right areas but the market seems "reasonable" unless bidding wars.

That to solds thing hasn't been working for ages now.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/17742807/427-PINEGROVE-Road-OAKVILLE-Ontario-L6K2B6

This one is perfect imo, buy it, live in it, feel out the market for a couple of years while stacking and then tear down and build.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Singl...V6-Old-Oakville

#8932592 - 02/01/17 12:45 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Use the Chinese site man!
#8932607 - 02/01/17 12:52 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Just checked Oakville, there are a lot of decent detached homes for less than a mil maybe I am not looking in the right areas but the market seems "reasonable" unless bidding wars.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/17742807/427-PINEGROVE-Road-OAKVILLE-Ontario-L6K2B6

This one is perfect imo, buy it, live in it, feel out the market for a couple of years while stacking and then tear down and build.

There is always something. But I think Jeffos is looking for a home that is like in the show million dollar listing lol

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8932609 - 02/01/17 12:52 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: eddie_82
Use the Chinese site man!

Share now!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8932613 - 02/01/17 12:54 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Hatorade]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Ya'll need to RFD more often.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/definitive-guide-finding-homes-sold-prices-gta-2032883/

#8932614 - 02/01/17 12:54 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Takes a few days for the sold listings to come up. But at least you can see about 3 months back.
#8932631 - 02/01/17 01:03 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh wow! Thanks
#8932633 - 02/01/17 01:04 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Hatorade]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Hatorade

There is always something. But I think Jeffos is looking for a home that is like in the show million dollar listing lol

Yes there is no such thing as getting everything you want for price you want. Gotta compromise and I am not talking about shit like bedrooms or closet space.

#8932635 - 02/01/17 01:06 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: eddie_82
Takes a few days for the sold listings to come up. But at least you can see about 3 months back.

You the Ma... never mind lol

HOLY FUCK. The TH on my cousins street sold for 1.38m LMFAO. Asking was 1,080,000

What in the fuck is going on.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d

#8932641 - 02/01/17 01:11 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
They are not foreigners tho, A NEW STUDY SAID SO

Anecdotal evidence, how does it work

#8932659 - 02/01/17 01:25 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Wildout]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Wildout
Biggest difference is you upgraded homes on value, so you and others like you win.

Most upgrade on stupid shit like size - losing proposition.

This can't be stated loud enough

I guess I'm missing the point but I don't see how you say this. Outside of the mcmasions, people upgrade based on need. What you need as a single person vs married vs kids will relate to size of house. Long gone are the days where people can buy their first house as their forever house.

#8932680 - 02/01/17 01:41 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
I absolutely won the lottery because I had to buy a bigger house, lol.

#8932693 - 02/01/17 02:00 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Big Tasty]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
 Originally Posted By: Wildout
Biggest difference is you upgraded homes on value, so you and others like you win.

Most upgrade on stupid shit like size - losing proposition.

This can't be stated loud enough

I guess I'm missing the point but I don't see how you say this. Outside of the mcmasions, people upgrade based on need. What you need as a single person vs married vs kids will relate to size of house. Long gone are the days where people can buy their first house as their forever house.

My thought process is simple:

Life and needs will always change, family vs. no family, job location, divorce etc.

To the layman, every significant life event in the case above would require a move/upgrade/downgrade/etc...and therein lies the issue.

Since we are the architects of our own lives we can to a degree plan our future, I am of the belief if you buy something once that checks most of your boxes YOU then suit your life around what you HAVE, rather than do the opposite and let your "life events" dictate your path.

If you take regular person real estate progression every 5-10 years:

1st: condo, 2nd: townhouse/semi detached/bungalow 3rd: bigger detached 4th: change neighbourhoods, 5th: downgrade to smaller house 6th: die

So you go through 4-5 houses in a lifetime, there are some pretty significant costs aside from realtor fees/lawer fees/taxes that you face, this shit for the most part remains unquantifiable and just goes down a black hole.

Staying in the same house for as long as it makes sense is your best option financially. Same logic goes for cars, over the long run the longer you keep the car the cheaper the cost to operate. In real estate people are completely out to lunch when they upgrade and think they are getting ahead yet renew their mortgages for additional 5 or 10 years compared to what they are leaving behind when they refinance for a "new" to them home.

I don't know, there is just something lost on our generation that our parents/grandparents did right, which is also why they are/will be better off than us. There wasn't a need to constantly churn cars/homes/material shit, which is why most people are fucking broke peasants.

/thots from a peasant

#8932699 - 02/01/17 02:05 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Our parents bought what they could afford and made it work. I think we all could take a few lessons from that generation.

#8932719 - 02/01/17 02:12 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: LNXGUY]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

True but what they could afford was a real house with costs proportionate to wages with land that could be expanded on if needed. Now you get a box in the sky or house sharing walls on both sides with a 10'x10' spit of land in the back.
#8932732 - 02/01/17 02:16 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

True but what they could afford was a real house with costs proportionate to wages with land that could be expanded on if needed. Now you get a box in the sky or house sharing walls on both sides with a 10'x10' spit of land in the back.

For sure the house I grew up in was a forever home for them. 3 bedroom, 1.5bath big front and back yards, close to schools. I couldn't raise a family in the first house I bought, we'd all drive ourselves fucking crazy in that kind of space, lol.

#8932760 - 02/01/17 02:37 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: LNXGUY]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
i grew up 6 people in a 3 bedroom town, 2 bathrooms.
can it be that it was all so simple then /wutang

on another note, before moving to ajax, we put an offer for a house 2 years ago in same hood for asking $600k - long story short didnt get it (thank god cuz i woulda been reaching)

same house was bought for i dunno how much but is now for sale again for $730k, who knows what they'll actually get.

its nuts out there. i count my blessings i found my 'until i need a condo again' home.

#8932771 - 02/01/17 02:50 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: LNXGUY]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

For sure the house I grew up in was a forever home for them. 3 bedroom, 1.5bath big front and back yards, close to schools. I couldn't raise a family in the first house I bought, we'd all drive ourselves fucking crazy in that kind of space, lol.

Yeah, thats right

#8932772 - 02/01/17 02:51 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Big Tasty]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Some things back then were easier, others were harder, no point in comparing. Only thing we can look at is the now, and now our behaviour/expectations/"wants & needs" are completely out of touch with reality, but society reinforces that it's "ok" to want and need more and more. WE DESERVE IT! WE WORKED FOR IT! lol

#8932774 - 02/01/17 02:55 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

and now our behaviour/expectations/"wants & needs" are completely out of touch with reality, but society reinforces that it's "ok" to want and need more and more. WE DESERVE IT! WE WORKED FOR IT! lol

Says the guy who lives in a white enclave hood surrounded by million dollar homes.
Yup, he mad that others want the things he has now, but they don't yet have

#8932778 - 02/01/17 03:01 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

wat?

#8932873 - 02/01/17 04:43 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
JEFFOS Offline
Post Master Supreme

Guys this turned into can Jeff buy a house thread slightly lol. I'm fine I can buy a house tomorrow but the practical and numbers side of me don't like it. Some of you know what I do and can assume the salary that comes with it. I'm alright.

Regardless of that my point is speaking on the situation at a whole and how it affects Canada. Also given my first point I'm not the norm or even close to it which is scary.

What you get for the money sucks these days and these costs skyrocketing 10 and 20+ percent YOY is not a sustainable or affordable thing for the population. That's a problem.

People are paying 5,6,7 and up to 10x salary just for homes. That's nuts without even factoring in our high taxes. I can't even believe there are arguments on these points.

However I do understand I complain by far the most about this on the site.

#8932879 - 02/01/17 04:58 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: JEFFOS]
Polkaroo Offline
Jr Poster

Loc: Polka Dot Door
That's what happens when you buy into the hype. "Real estate always goes up " ...

I get it...you bought in. But at this point owners essentially have mommy brain.

I think you're playing things well at the moment. Rent and invest. Enjoy mobility and lack of taxes/maitenence. The same people telling you to buy wouldn't buy if they were in the same position .

Previous generations are also some of the worst in terms of needing to "upgrade". No clue where the idea of them being "financially savvy " and content came from. Total bs.
Same with this 4age guy. Who the hell are you hanging around ? Other privileged fobs ? So far from reality.

#8932881 - 02/01/17 05:04 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Some things back then were easier, others were harder, no point in comparing. Only thing we can look at is the now, and now our behaviour/expectations/"wants & needs" are completely out of touch with reality, but society reinforces that it's "ok" to want and need more and more. WE DESERVE IT! WE WORKED FOR IT! lol

So back to the stepping stones of moving from 1st, 2nd, 3rd house to get to your forever home with the current costs.

Look at 50yrs ago. 10 grand got you a big semi in downtown.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-esta...rticle33659502/

Quote:
The couple paid $10,000 and assumed a small mortgage to buy the semi-detached Victorian in 1965.

Steven Atsaves of Royal LePage Grange Hall Realty listed the house with an asking price of $699,000 and a description of the property as a “renovator’s dream find.”

The asking price is low compared with the sale price of other Victorian semis on the street, he says, in recognition of the updates the house is likely to need. He figures the buyers will spend $200,000 or more to renovate.

The kitchen and bathroom are rundown and the fixtures are vintage. Radiators provide the heat. He didn’t bother with fresh paint and staging, he says, because new owners will likely gut the interior.

“It needs everything,” he says.

The first day the property arrived on the market, potential buyers were streaming through. Cowan Avenue has many stately houses that were divided into rooms and apartments in previous decades, but many of the houses have been renovated in recent years as the area has experienced a resurgence.

#8932882 - 02/01/17 05:08 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Big Tasty]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Her "forever home" ended up being a semi...how many people would "settle" for that now? Shouldn't she have moved 56 times by now to get to her "dream home" or "forever home".

meanwhile these days, dumb fucks are like:

A FUCKING SEMI? UNACCEPTABLE, I DEMAND DETACHED, 3K SQUARE FEET, YARD, PRIVACY, UNICORNS RUNNING THROUGH THE NIGHT, AND NO NUKE PILLS!!! WE DESERVE IT!!

I have no issues with moving, but people chasing "forever" and "dream" homes are out to fucking lunch. That shit doesn't exist, anything can be your dream home, just have to accept that society is fucking retarded.

#8932963 - 02/01/17 07:29 PM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
East York can still be had for 800-900k

200k down. I'm sure Jeff makes 150k+.

EZ PZ

#8933150 - 02/02/17 05:36 AM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Denis Si]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Jeff ain't about East York though \:\)
#8933183 - 02/02/17 07:32 AM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Denis Si Offline
Post Master

Loc: T.O.
 Originally Posted By: Choco 'Nuck
Jeff ain't about East York though \:\)

Well then time to rent ;\)

I ain't about ajax but I do enjoy having a "cheap" house

#8933186 - 02/02/17 07:37 AM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Denis Si]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

\:o

#8933187 - 02/02/17 07:38 AM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Wowzers.

#8933188 - 02/02/17 07:39 AM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: LNXGUY]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Nothing to see here folks, just savvy Canadian real estate investors EVERYWHERE!!!! UNICORN HOUSE PICKERS. Everyone knows how to pick 'em nowadays, everyone SO SMART!!!!!!!
#8933197 - 02/02/17 07:44 AM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Risky Business]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
Her "forever home" ended up being a semi...how many people would "settle" for that now? Shouldn't she have moved 56 times by now to get to her "dream home" or "forever home".

meanwhile these days, dumb fucks are like:

A FUCKING SEMI? UNACCEPTABLE, I DEMAND DETACHED, 3K SQUARE FEET, YARD, PRIVACY, UNICORNS RUNNING THROUGH THE NIGHT, AND NO NUKE PILLS!!! WE DESERVE IT!!

I have no issues with moving, but people chasing "forever" and "dream" homes are out to fucking lunch. That shit doesn't exist, anything can be your dream home, just have to accept that society is fucking retarded.

bwuaaaahahahaahaha +1

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8933232 - 02/02/17 08:18 AM Re: Brampton vs. Barrie vs. Oshawa vs. Scarborough [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
aurora killin it! good job aurora!

Page 5 of 10 « First<34567>Last »

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads