Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8873395 - 12/07/16 01:43 PM Windshield repairs - don't cheap out
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
Since most of you ballers are driving fairly advanced vehicles... don't just goto any old shop to get your windshield replaced.

Story:

Customer didn't want to pay our pricing for windshield replacement, so they take it their car to get it done at a small shop.

1) they urethaned the headliner to the roof.
2) the windshield leaks
3) they broke the camera that was mounted on the windshield because they couldn't figure out how to remove it, and they snapped the ribbon on the circuit board (KAFAS system). Camera alone before labour and programming is $1000.

#8873398 - 12/07/16 01:44 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: phoenixrage]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Are the rain sensors built into the windshield too?
#8873406 - 12/07/16 01:51 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: eddie_82
Are the rain sensors built into the windshield too?

Yup, but depending on the model/year, some can be saved and reused. But otherwise, you have to buy a new one since its "special" adhesive.

#8873407 - 12/07/16 01:51 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, ON
Hahaha awesome!!!

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8873430 - 12/07/16 02:05 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: Hatorade]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
Yeah...totally agree. I can only imagine for BEEE EMMM DUBAYUUU it's even more headaches and more cost!

I've seen aftermarket good glass which is "OK" to put into some cars but with more advanced new cars it's becoming hard to even use that and you have to go OEM and the dealership should do the work.

I've seen BAD aftermarket glass...holy shit do not touch. Just the waves in it alone will give u a migraine after driving for 15mins lol. Plus the shop installing it will do a shit job.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8873480 - 12/07/16 02:44 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

I don't even get how you can urethane the liner to the roof!?.. the windshield has its own ledge to stick to!

#8873508 - 12/07/16 03:04 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: phoenixrage]
4age Offline
XD XD XD XD
Post Master Sr

Loc: North York, Ontario, Canada
LOL WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
also, SMH on bmw owners cheaping out.
can afford to buy, cannot afford to keep. XD

XD XD XD XD

#8873518 - 12/07/16 03:10 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: 4age]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

problem?

#8873520 - 12/07/16 03:11 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Moral of the story don't buy cars you can't afford.
#8873539 - 12/07/16 03:32 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: Risky Business]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
my old man is one of those cheap bmw fucks. not because he can't afford it, just cause he's cheap as hell.

he bought his E90 x drive straight cash, then like a week later he took it back saying that the GPS wasn't finding areas, they said that the map was old or something and would cost a couple hundred for a updated map. this mofo went to canadian tire and bought a $100 gps and slapped that on the windshield, so now my brother and I always call him a old china man, his plate is also 9888888

#8873634 - 12/07/16 04:25 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: 4age]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: 4age
LOL WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
also, SMH on bmw owners cheaping out.
can afford to buy, cannot afford to keep. XD

like there are certain things you can save a bit on if you want and its ok, but there are other parts of the car that really should be taken care of at a BMW dealer.

I get so many calls and hearing how X shop has had the car for weeks trying to figure shit out... mostly because they don't have the right tools/computers to diag this shit. Most manufacturers aren't making these cars any simpler.

#8873662 - 12/07/16 04:34 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: phoenixrage]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

most times bmw doesn't have the right tools/computers to diagnose

#8874366 - 12/08/16 11:19 AM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: titty sprinkles]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

most of the current gen cars can actually be connected to wirelessly through head office to run some diag tests.

what really f's things up is if the module being read crashes.

Edited by phoenixrage (12/08/16 11:21 AM)

#8874465 - 12/08/16 12:00 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: phoenixrage]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
So what's are some trusted places to go that use decent glass?

Dealership wanted $700 for a Subaru which means I would pay $300 for insurance, but I found some shops doing it for as little as $190 and the reviews were good but no idea if they were fake reviews or what kind of glass they used

#8874546 - 12/08/16 12:39 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: loudsubz]
zc911 Offline
Ferrari4Sale 😎
Post Master Supreme

Loc: toronto
when the glass on my old BMW took a hit, I had apple auto glass replace it with BMW glass.
At first they used I dunno what brand, and there was a wave in the glass, and the tech got urethane on the a pillar cover.
They ordered a replacement a pillar cover for me, and replace the glass with BMW glass.
The owner of that apple auto glass was a stand up guy, he lost a lot of money on that job, but stood behind his work and made it right.
The location was in the Steeles and Weston rd area.

#8874627 - 12/08/16 01:35 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: zc911]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
I've had the glass on the X5 changed twice already from cracks caused by rocks. Both times went with BMW glass, but used a 3rd party (Jams auto glass http://www.jamoneautoglass.com/ ) Zero issues, he was able to remove the rain sensor and reinstall, urethane was perfect too. He also changed the mini's glass once as well.

It was a brown guy who looked liked eddie82 who did the work.

#8874629 - 12/08/16 01:36 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: loudsubz]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

Dealership wanted $700 for a Subaru which means I would pay $300 for insurance, but I found some shops doing it for as little as $190 and the reviews were good but no idea if they were fake reviews or what kind of glass they used

at the end of the day, its how picky you are about the work and quality of glass. There are good small shops out there, just hard to sift through them all. Back when I had my 240 done, the guy was pretty good, re-surfaced the area, re applied some paint and most importantly didn't glue anything else other than the glass itself.

#8874632 - 12/08/16 01:38 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: loudsubz]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: loudsubz

any glass from mex or china do not touch.

USA (for the most part) is fine. if the supplier has different suppliers for their US aftermarket made glass even better (maybe you can choose from price/quality).

#8874819 - 12/08/16 03:27 PM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

i'm praying that i don't get a windshield crack. the tlx uses the shittiest glass available, already got a chip in the new one that i got fixed.

#8876912 - 12/10/16 11:55 AM Re: Windshield repairs - don't cheap out [Re: Risky Business]
Raocorp Offline
Cougar Slayer
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: Risky Business
Moral of the story don't buy cars you can't afford.

+motherfuckingone
hence why I drive a Suzuki

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads