Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8798649 - 09/23/16 01:15 PM Starting from scratch...learn me?
sure Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: @lanta
I had hernia surgery 2 months ago and really let myself go. Eating like crap, no working out, etc. So now that I've healed I have started going to the gym. Previous to the surgery I was doing Krav Maga for about 4 years. Eventually I will get back in to it but I really would like to focus on strength building and overall fitness.

Details:

Height: 6'3"
Weight: 210 (down from 225)
Build: Slender build. played wide receiver in HS so that kind of stature.

I'm really a noob when it comes to the gym so I'm really wanting to crawl before I start walking. So I've joined one of those $10 a month places because it's 1 mile from the office and there is one near home. I started going about 3 weeks ago.

My first "to do" item was to establish a routine, work on my commitment and will power. I've mainly be focusing on treadmill and stair machine for warm up, then alternating lower body and upper body machines during the week. Again, this is the crawling portion.

I've also be very disciplined on my diet. Cut out all sugar, focusing on complex carbs and increased protein and vegetable intake. I've not gone cold turkey but I'm trying to be focused about what I eat and the amount I eat. I know I need to "fuel" my body if I want to gain muscle.

So I'm coming to you guys for some tricks, tips and advice. My goal is to increase overall fitness, build some muscle and just be in better shape. I don't have delusions of grander and I'm not going body builder physic. Just want to increase muscle size and thin down a little.

So are there any routines you would recommend or just general advice.

tl;dr how do I get all swole'n shit?

#8798836 - 09/23/16 03:11 PM Re: Starting from scratch...learn me? [Re: sure]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
have you signed up for a marathon yet? I hear it's fantastic for your joints and connective tissue. especially hips! the further you are from kenyan weight [~110#] the better!

#8798968 - 09/23/16 04:16 PM Re: Starting from scratch...learn me? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Design Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: The OC
Serious reply?

Find an exercise you like and stick with it. The results will follow. Running, swimming, biking, a group class, whatever. Stick with it for 2-4 weeks and you'll start feeling different. Stick with it for 6 weeks and you'll start looking different. That's strictly to improve core fitness.

IMHO, weights come after the routine is established and the body is accustomed to activity. Give yourself at least 4 weeks to get your mobility in gear.

Generic article but a few solid points about getting back to the grind. GL.
http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/restart-your-workout-routine
89 Camaro - Sold
CSI. What's your diversion?

#8824813 - 10/20/16 12:04 PM Re: Starting from scratch...learn me? [Re: Design]
DieZel Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: 18th green
Train 4 days a week (chest, back, delts & arms, legs), cardio 3-4 days a week...

Don't lift like a bitch, train medium to heavy, not high reps...

Progress every week... 1 more rep, set or increase the weight...

Simple

#8825409 - 10/20/16 06:43 PM Re: Starting from scratch...learn me? [Re: DieZel]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Starting Strength, but don't follow his weightlifter mentality and do a bit more cardio. Also given your age/rustiness start slow/light.

Sign up for a cardio event. They're dumb/dorky/terrifying your first time, but it's addictive. 10km is a great goal(though they're a little rare).

The best advice I can give is fitness is a life long goal. So don't get to eager and injure or wear yourself out. Just take lots of little steps. You'll have set-backs, but keep moving forward.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads