Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#8669404 - 05/24/16 01:54 PM What next? v cycling
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

As much as I love running, it seems I'm unable to maintain running.

So I guess I'm a cyclist and a "roadie" mostly. Turns out I'm not too bad and I do enjoy it.
So with a grand total of 3 CX events and a century done. What should I try next?

My thoughts:
actual track racing
mid-distance fast paced events (30-50 mile "races" which will be slow at my output)
Just more long distance touring events (lots of food and cheerleading going on).
Just solo rides?

I sort of like going fast, I found the century challenging, but wouldn't have minded pushing myself more but that could be because I was so nervous about finishing I didn't lead much. That said, I'm still a little agro for tours?

I know for sure I"ll do CX this fall since I've got the tires.

So tell me cyclists, what type of riding do you find the most rewarding?

#8669422 - 05/24/16 02:11 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
#zwift #greenjersey #polkajersey #both #win

#8669432 - 05/24/16 02:16 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: schtickaz.ai]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Tires still too big (zwift only measures RPMs of rear tire)
Video games suck
you even complain about the lag
I do this shit to get outside

should I go on?

#8669446 - 05/24/16 02:24 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

I got a new vid card tho [ok it was free!] but dual /SLI /woot?

#8669449 - 05/24/16 02:25 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: schtickaz.ai]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

6 year old laptop
/spend all my money on IPAs and 3 sets of tires for my 1 year old bike

#8669450 - 05/24/16 02:25 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

1 day and 2 day options:
https://www.cascade.org/ride-major-rides-group-health-stp-about-ride/route

#8669512 - 05/24/16 03:06 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
Impulsive Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
I would like to just do biking like what Risky did in Portugal. I wish my wife was more into biking because we could do weekend cycling trips in the Rockies.

#8669515 - 05/24/16 03:07 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Impulsive]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

that sounds horrible lol vert/anuerisym

#8669521 - 05/24/16 03:13 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Impulsive]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Impulsive
I would like to just do biking like what Risky did in Portugal. I wish my wife was more into biking because we could do weekend cycling trips in the Rockies.

like this?
http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/8587353

#8669573 - 05/24/16 03:56 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

"Roubaix" type rides (i'd argue these are "gravel grinders": Seems like beer and dirt-bag events
80 mile option?
http://www.ochocogravelroubaix.com/
40 mile
http://oregonrides.com/barrel-to-keg/#1461976885517-ca90ffdd-9402

on road option, these seem like very friendly events
STP 200 miles, 1 or 2 day (amateur heavy)
http://tourdeblast.com/rider-info/ 80 miles, lots of vert up volcano
http://www.portlandcentury.com/ 2 days, 50-100 miles each day
http://craterlakecentury.com/ following volcanic crate rim, lots of time at 5k feet

Touring/luxo type events
http://cycleoregon.com/weekend-ride/
http://gourmetcentury.com/ride/ (such foody wow)

#8669848 - 05/24/16 09:04 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Denver, CO
 Originally Posted By: dirtyS13drifta

So tell me cyclists, what type of riding do you find the most rewarding?

100 mile mtb races and 20-30mile xc races. 2 different kinds of efforts so each gives a diffent sense of accomplishment.

for road, i like hilly road races or fast crits

#8669849 - 05/24/16 09:08 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: nato2377]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

for non races just really long road rides w/ lots of vert
#8671157 - 05/25/16 05:36 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: nato2377]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

I have been off the bike for close to a month, it's brutal. Need to get back asap, but home obligations.

I am not sure what you are asking? What's next as in you want to ride competitive?

Have you looked at riding in groups? It's face paced, high adrenaline, etc.

The user 4age here (he is a regular, but doesn't post much) is who got me into riding, and riding groups. He is the equivalent to nato, but the Toronto version (he used to be semi pro) and he took up velodrome riding. He basically fully stopped riding road and is strictly doing velodrome, if you have one near you it might be worth checking out. I was thinking of doing it in the winters, but I am not willing to make the commitment.

CN: make the time and ride on your own. What's rewarding for me is going out on my own, at my own time, my own schedule, not have to drive to events and/or waste my weekends participating in form of organized riding. That is most rewarding (ocd about making the most of my days). So having said that, self discipline and set some personal goals and get out there no need over complicate it. To get better though, signing up for the odd race here/there is probably a much better motivator and the results will show.

#8671165 - 05/25/16 05:49 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Risky Business]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

yea I was just thinking to myself I am slightly less incompetent over shorter distances and the hellyer velodrome near me has a noob program [where the brakes at??!]
I think I want to do it because I know I'm more competitive over shorter distances vs normal road racing and getting pwnd over and over sucks

just talked myself into trying it I guess:
http://www.ridethetrack.com/

just like with my swimming, I need to go shorter imo

also were crits mentioned yet? while terrifying, those can be fun too if you're into that. they are literally everywhere

#8671173 - 05/25/16 05:56 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Yea i am thinking about it, but it's mostly because i am itching for a nice fixed gear bike than i am about riding in a circle

Also, my cycling fitness is the equivalent to your ability to push yourself, i barely/if ever push and just coast because not challenged. I am super competitive around other betas and it shows in group rides, but alone i just keep that 130 bpm and Fred up every weekend ride.

#8671175 - 05/25/16 05:57 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Risky Business]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

I do that though because thats how you get faster when you have a high-ish weekly cardio load.

#8671176 - 05/25/16 05:58 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

ok, well you've put thought into it.

For me riding alone = no urgency, betas can't make you look bad, no fire under my ass, etc = 130 bpm effort

fuck all in gainz

#8671181 - 05/25/16 06:01 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Risky Business]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

intervals and zone 4/5 stuff should be a part of it too, but not required back in cat 5 land

I do it on the trainer/zwift lately and it's awesome tho

I assume the 80/20 rule applies to cycling also [80% bulk/zone 3 stuff] and 20% interval zone 4/5 stuff

#8671182 - 05/25/16 06:02 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Risky Business]
nato2377 Offline
Post Master Sr

Originally Posted By: Risky Business
ok, well you've put thought into it.

For me riding alone = no urgency, betas can't make you look bad, no fire under my ass, etc = 130 bpm effort

fuck all in gainz

if you suffered a bit solo you could be the alpha \:D

#8671512 - 05/26/16 12:27 AM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
It's all rewarding for me.

I generally feel pretty stoked at the end of most rides, be they road, MTB or CX. I just like being on a bike.

Keep doing what you're doing. I think the variety of it will keep you motivated.

I'm too slow to race much of anyone. The century I signed up for in September will probably take me 6.5 hours. I'm skipping the century on this year's MS150 because I want to get there on Day 1 at the peak of the fanfare.

Pretty stoked on more MTB this summer tho.

still have an EM1--go figure

#8671892 - 05/26/16 10:15 AM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: gamby]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Oh yea IMO biking is the same as surfing or skating or snowboarding, whoever is having the most fun wins.

So that means pros wish they were like us (ok, maybe not lol)

#8671938 - 05/26/16 10:30 AM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: gamby]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: gamby
It's all rewarding for me.

I generally feel pretty stoked at the end of most rides, be they road, MTB or CX. I just like being on a bike.

Keep doing what you're doing. I think the variety of it will keep you motivated.

I'm too slow to race much of anyone. The century I signed up for in September will probably take me 6.5 hours. I'm skipping the century on this year's MS150 because I want to get there on Day 1 at the peak of the fanfare.

Pretty stoked on more MTB this summer tho.

Good Points. Stokage is high.

I think I want to be a little bit "better' I felt like my century went well largely because I drafted stronger riders. I want to BE a stronger rider. I think ultimately that's a seat-time issue still. I'm pretty powerful for my experiences (~4k miles over the last 3-4 years).

I think I'll focus on "new" events:
At least 1-2 race, even if I suck
Lots of CX (I feel like every course/event is new)
1-2 more endurance ride (60-80 range) with an emphasis on smaller more focused events
and at least one Roubaix/Gravel grind event (this is what I want to know)

I'm trying to figure out the best way to throw in a little actual "training" in the form of intervals to get better focus on output/ duration. Trainer in the summer months sounds miserable.

Can someone give me some good information on "zones"? I'm guessing I tend to spend all my time pushing too hard, even on fun rides. That's sort of my nature.

#8671989 - 05/26/16 10:48 AM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I think a MTN Bike next year is my most likely solution too. Rather than a Road or full CX. My bike does well enough at all things that I don't need to get TOO specialized for riding that an 8/10 on the stokage

A strong Trail/CX bike would provide me more stokage than any incremental gains on a CX course or long ride/race.

All that's out the window if I mange to destroy current gravel grinder.

#8672175 - 05/26/16 12:10 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Mountain is fun, that's all I used to do back in the day. My issue is that of all the riding available, from a time efficiency POV road is the best (depending on where you live).

I just can't bring myself to mounting my bike on a rack or taking it apart, loading it in the car, plus my gear, driving to a parking lot, put everything back together, ride, rinse repeat, come home. The time commitment for the amount of riding is hard to justify. But if you live close to trails and can ride there then that's epic.

Also why I stopped playing hockey, dumb reasoning, but a one hour game was literally 2.5 hour time commitment. Love the sport though.

Sign up for a few races nicely spaced out through the year and just look forward to those milestones. You will have a sense of urgency to get out there and put in the work and you will become a better rider while hopefully enjoying yourself.

#8672189 - 05/26/16 12:16 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Risky Business]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

dirtay since you dont HR train you arent really able to tell your zones. much as with running you might be assuming you are working harder than you really are, eg have a broken 'perceived effort' meter [true for me anyways]. As you get in better shape imo it gets HARDER not easier to hit the outer zones [4/5 and unobtanium 6]

you're probably fredding around at 130-ish HR for most things, even the donkey plomp 4 mile commute of yours with some sprint segments. Maybe little pushes to 140 HR or so

also dont forget bike HR zone is ~5-8 beats slower than the equivalent run HR zone for most people. But the FTP 20 minute test w/a HRM on zwift or trainerroad should help you identify your HR zones

#8672194 - 05/26/16 12:19 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

wait he is telling us his efforts based on feel?

dafaq, before you do anything else at least get a garmin. You don't need to chart out your life and reconcile every individual beat with an algo like stickaz, but come on some basic data for baseline training is necessary.

#8672206 - 05/26/16 12:25 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Risky Business]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

RB: I agree on the PITA factor Mtn bike, especially given my primary love is snowboarding (90 minutes each way for 6-10 hour day, wtf). And given toddler and home ownership(so close to selling to move to the mountains, wtf). That said, I know what I love, it's being in the forests/mountains, the technical flow, etc. Road biking a mountain road is "close", but not the same. So sure, I won't get NEAR the miles/dollar out of a Mtn Bike, but Stokage/dollar will be high.

Stickaz: remember I achieved a 1/2 marathon in the same pace as you on my second try, and that's coming from 18 months after getting off the couch and my heaviest weight(not that heavy admittedly) and 5 years after quitting smoking. I'm pretty good at pushing.
I agree my commute probably averages low 110, but on those 400w sprints I'm guessing that's more than 130. Also, my trainer sessions have a drip pattern that matches/exceeds yours(in my garage though, not inside the house you animal!!)

RB2: I use bike computer and/or strava. Not even Cadence. I do get Suunto at discount, but it's never seemed necessary for my weekend warrior bullshit. I was looking at BT sensor for Trainer-road.

#8672223 - 05/26/16 12:32 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Post Master Supreme

Get the suunto asap
#8672232 - 05/26/16 12:38 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Risky Business]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Really? Before any other shit for bike?

Shit, I just blew my load on:
sporty helmet (lol)
tires
clothes

That said, I got some hand me down cleats (lol) to replace my mtn bike options.

#8672468 - 05/26/16 02:15 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
>Has never checked his heart rate...ever.

#8672506 - 05/26/16 02:32 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: Sir Ironpool]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

after a sprint swim set last night I wanted to have my blood lactate tested I knoooow I was anaerobic but my question was how much compared to the effort level I was putting out? Still afraid I'm just barely tilting open the door to zone 5

data imo isn't the enemy

as a fer-instance I can look at a loop I run all the time that I've bothered to bring my HRM on with me. I can compare HR vs pace going back now for several years worth of data. It's pretty cool to see the progression of pace vs HR level

eg I'm getting similar speeds on the bike at 120 bpm as I used to at 130 or so, and same idea on the run. In fact my oldest running HRM data is quite different, like some segments around 9:00/mi and 140 HR, today I can cruise through there sub 120 same pace

I'm not saying I'm fast or anything, just that I have a bunch of data I can look at which might be useful to a coach or something if I cared. The benefit of datalogging isn't limited to that run or that ride by any means, you're discovering what rate(s) you are improving [or not] on actual empirical evidence using HR as a proxy for effort

#8672583 - 05/26/16 03:06 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: schtickaz.ai]
gamby Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: RI
I have a couple of routes where I know the time "checkpoints" that keep me apprised on how fast I'm going. Mapmyride tells me my average speed every 5 minutes and I get average speed/elevation out of that.

The most effective "training" I do is a 20 mile local loop that's decently hilly--875' of elevation gain. I do that on my cross bike (because crappy roads) or I make it harder by going on my singlespeed.

I don't feel like completely immersing myself in telemetry. At some point, I'd obsess too much over data and not enjoy the ride. Since I struggle to be a mid-packer anyway, that's a waste of a good time.

Heading to a group ride shortly. Beautiful 22 mile loop that weaves through RI beach country. Great group of people and a fun final sprint back to the shop. That's tonight's stoke.

still have an EM1--go figure

#8672740 - 05/26/16 04:36 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: gamby]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I think much of my issue is I don't know the "good" rides in my area, I sort of google and try to use some common sense.
With my century there were training rides. I didn't make any, but it got me thinking.

To stickaz point: Honestly, I don't know why you need HR for that. Like I expect segments to get faster every 6 months.

I thought HR wasn't about proving fitness (repeated times can show that), but more making sure you're not spending TOO much time in limbo and training effective. (obviously more of an issue for us weekend warriors ).

#8672749 - 05/26/16 04:43 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Also, it seems like Watts can be a decent proxy for HR for zone.

Now of course actual watts costs a fortune, but estimate watts are a strava segment or trainer ride with BT speed sensor away.

I'm not sure Perceived effort is that bad either. My limited HR measurement(hand sensor or self administered) suggests if anything I can DEFINITELY hit zone 5 and it's right where I thought.

#8672751 - 05/26/16 04:45 PM Re: What next? v cycling [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

theres plenty of ways to look at the data. heck sravastix chrome plugin I think is looking at aggregating a weeks training together and producing reports and all that

but yea HR zone based training is actually the end goal really imo of HRM training. If you aren't zone training you're probably not getting the maximum benefit. EG every week I go out and cry about not being able to hit zone 5 in a speed workout--at least I know I wasnt able to hit zone 5 I guess.

the problem with using watts is you'll get fitter over time [hopefully]

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads