Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8612761 - 04/05/16 04:12 PM Anyone rehab a groin UPDATE: double hip surgery inbound :(
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Hella NorCal
A sports hernia is basically a bad groin pull/tear (not a 'traditional' hernia). Happens in sports with quick side to side movements (DB's, soccer, hockey goalies etc).

Been nursing this thing all winter. Figured it would get better during the rainy months as I was less active. Been wearing a brace the past few months to keep it warm.

Alas it has not improved so I went to doc and got referral to PT. If it doesn't respond to rest and PT I get a MRI and possibly surgery. I am super bummed as I can't play any tennis or even do light jogging. It's fucking beautiful out and this is when I ramp up my fitness for spring league and here I sit trying not to get fat. I've had it in the past (not as bad) and it's always gotten better with rest, ice and compression. Now that I'm old it's just not getting better. Fuuuuuck.

Anyone here deal with this? Advice? I'm doing some upper body stuff in the meantime but I can't even do any ab work right now. Yay I guess I can go on walks! (but not too fast!)

On the bright side my PT is a woman so at least I get female hands massaging my groin. This sucks.

UPDATE: Been 10 months since I've played a competitive match (or done anything running-wise really). So I got an MRI a long time ago and diagnosis was osteitis pubis (tissue damage in the groin due to overuse) so I did rest, p/t for months with little improvement. I could tell if I did anything hard I would be back to square one.

So I went to an orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion. After looking at the MRI he says the problem is my hips, not my groin! Due to a (common) birth defect the ball and socket don't fit together quite right, resulting in bone spurs, groin pain, etc. Not sure how the original Dr missed the correct diagnosis when looking at the same thing...but in reality they would have prescribed conservative treatment anyway so other than doing the WRONG TYPE OF P/T I'd pretty much be in the same place.

Got a second MRI last week with dye injected into the left hip joint. It shows cam impingement, frayed labrum (thank god not torn) but no major cartilage damage. So I will be getting arthroscopic surgery to shave the bone spur down, repair labrum and other stuff as needed once he gets a direct look. Doc says I should be pretty much good as new...now for the right hip.

Right hip has worse cam impingement/arthritis which if I don't deal with now will go downhill quick and result in a hip replacement. So after my left hip heals he will MRI the right one and do open surgery in which he will mircofracture (break up) and re-shape the right femoral head ('ball'). This is major surgery with a longer rehab than actual hip replacement but again he said once it heals up I should be good as new (almost).

So realistically I'm looking at a year-ish till I'm back to doing the stuff I love. While it sucks to undergo so much surgery/rehab I am stoked to finally know exactly what is wrong (15 years of on/off groin pain) and a sports oriented ortho who is enthusiastic and knows how to interpret an MRI lol.

It was funny when I first saw the ortho cause I thought he was looking at someone else's MRI when he kept yapping about my hips.

"Uh, I was diagnosed with osteitis pubis, they didn't say anything about my hips"

Doc: "Look at this! Your hips are CAUSING the osteitis pubis! It will never get better till we fix your hips!"

Me:

Edited by norcal skim #tbt (01/17/17 11:24 AM)

#8615115 - 04/07/16 10:42 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
McCavityCat Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MA
I have not been diagnosed with one, nor have I gone to the Dr. to address it but I suffer from having a very sore/tight right groin. I found if I warm it up slowly and get a really good stretch on it, I usually don't run into any issues. Also staying hydrated helps tremendously.

#8616242 - 04/08/16 09:30 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: McCavityCat]
Impulsive Online   nohc
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Edmonton
Can you ride a bike?

#8616414 - 04/08/16 11:08 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: Impulsive]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Aqua jogging.

#8617378 - 04/09/16 12:51 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

I can ride a bike and have been doing so. As long as I'm not doing something like steep hills (standing and pushing hard). It's tough because I got myself in really good shape since I quit drinking. In fact fitness (and return to competitive tennis) has been my post addiction crutch which makes this situation even worse for me (although I have no worries of relapsing or anything like that).

As you workout junkies know, what is typically considered 'good' exercise (a long walk at good pace; moderate bike riding) for the typical American doesn't seem like anything to me. But I better get used to it because as the PT pointed out, doing the same things I've been doing, just easier, is not working at all. In fact it's been getting worse.

Today was interesting. Got a groin massage, ultrasound and electric stimulation treatment.Each of which had her hands extremely close (and sometimes touching) my junk. I was afraid I might go 'not a charger' (or whatever his s/n is) on her and get wood lol. Seriously though it was nice to get all those treatments (along with that kineseology tape or whatever it's called). The PT knows her stuff and seems happy to have someone so gung ho to do the rehab exercises.

Quote:
I have not been diagnosed with one, nor have I gone to the Dr. to address it but I suffer from having a very sore/tight right groin. I found if I warm it up slowly and get a really good stretch on it, I usually don't run into any issues
You might want to look into strengthening exercises to prevent it from getting worse in the future. Lots of good youtube videos out there, totally worth the time. Wish I had done so years ago.

Oh I also have a pool and when it's warm enough hopefully I can incorporate swim into the rehab.

@ironmom: skimming is the worst thing for it, it is how i originally injured it. Haven't skimmed since late summer and wondering if I ever will again. At this point I'll be happy to get back to 100% on the tennis court.

Edited by norcal skim #tbt (04/09/16 12:54 AM)

#8618752 - 04/11/16 08:04 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
McCavityCat Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: MA
There is zero% chance I am getting tape on my groin lol. (hairy probs)

#8914703 - 01/17/17 11:24 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: McCavityCat]
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

UPDATE: Been 10 months since I've played a competitive match (or done anything running-wise really). So I got an MRI a long time ago and diagnosis was osteitis pubis (tissue damage in the groin due to overuse) so I did rest, p/t for months with little improvement. I could tell if I did anything hard I would be back to square one.

So I went to an orthopedic surgeon for a second opinion. After looking at the MRI he says the problem is my hips, not my groin! Due to a (common) birth defect the ball and socket don't fit together quite right, resulting in bone spurs, groin pain, etc. Not sure how the original Dr missed the correct diagnosis when looking at the same thing...but in reality they would have prescribed conservative treatment anyway so other than doing the WRONG TYPE OF P/T I'd pretty much be in the same place.

Got a second MRI last week with dye injected into the left hip joint. It shows cam impingement, frayed labrum (thank god not torn) but no major cartilage damage. So I will be getting arthroscopic surgery to shave the bone spur down, repair labrum and other stuff as needed once he gets a direct look. Doc says I should be pretty much good as new...now for the right hip.

Right hip has worse cam impingement/arthritis which if I don't deal with now will go downhill quick and result in a hip replacement. So after my left hip heals he will MRI the right one and do open surgery in which he will mircofracture (break up) and re-shape the right femoral head ('ball'). This is major surgery with a longer rehab than actual hip replacement but again he said once it heals up I should be good as new (almost).

So realistically I'm looking at a year-ish till I'm back to doing the stuff I love. While it sucks to undergo so much surgery/rehab I am stoked to finally know exactly what is wrong (15 years of on/off groin pain) and a sports oriented ortho who is enthusiastic and knows how to interpret an MRI lol.

It was funny when I first saw the ortho cause I thought he was looking at someone else's MRI when he kept yapping about my hips.

"Uh, I was diagnosed with osteitis pubis, they didn't say anything about my hips"

Doc: "Look at this! Your hips are CAUSING the osteitis pubis! It will never get better till we fix your hips!"

Me:

#8914854 - 01/17/17 01:17 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
JFC. you might want to double-check the guy that double-checked your double-check. Surgery is a 1-way street. Good luck ofc.

My ortho's first guess was torn labrum on my hip also, he suggested anything but surgery which would be a last resort. I hope for the best but this sounds like a decision to sit on for a while. A year or two of PT is nothing, imo

#8915083 - 01/17/17 03:57 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

Agreed, a year or two of PT is nothing. However, 15 years of chronic groin pain and loss of ROM is something that has not gone away. Because PT isn't going to fix a genetic defect - the Dr said I was born with this. In fact he basically described the pattern of my injury over the years before I even told him - he has seen it before.

No one wants surgery but the fact is due to the bad fit of the top of my femurs, my condition will only continue to worsen unless I want to take up stamp collecting instead of sports, which I don't want to do.

The first surgery isn't very risky at all, the second shows a lot of promise for athletes but that hip is headed for replacement if I don't do something proactive now so...

I will get a third opinion before I undergo the knife but right now if given the option of more PT or the knife I choose the knife.

This basically describes the first surgery:

Quote:
Treatments
If the cartilage in the hip is still intact, then surgery can be performed to reshape the top of the femur or the socket so they fit better together, which is called debridement or osteoplasty. The earlier surgery is performed, the greater the likelihood of a complete recovery. Once cartilage has been damaged, surgery may still greatly reduce pain and increase range of motion. Your doctor will tell you if you are a good candidate for hip arthroscopic surgery, a minimally invasive option.

#8915174 - 01/17/17 05:29 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

cool, but that sucks too ofc. I'm cautiously optimistic that my original torn labrum diagnosis was just in error [via manual manipulation of joint in office, my hip was 'popping' when the knee was lifted, a hallmark of the prob]. But as it turns out that was my lower back popping lol combobreaker

I'm sure I had internal bursitis where your problem area is too. The bursa inside the femur-hip joint can become inflamed too. I'm sure that was my problem. Went away ~4 weeks or so past my traumatic incident [marathon on low mileage buildup aka suicide]

sounds like you have a solid diagnosis, and if its confirmed via MRI/dye even better. I just had all kinds of general pain in like every direction and was probably presenting with a minimum of 3 separate issues so [knock on wood] I think I've recovered by reducing activity. I had my *first* jog in ~6 months that I do not feel my trancheatic bursitis yesterday [my secondary issue that I have been left with for months] **knocks furiously on wood**
my 3rd issue cleared up in only a couple weeks, it was some kind of IT band related thing. I'd probably have fewer injuries in a car accident I'm guessing.

I picked up a 4th injury from doing the PT itself lol that required an urgent care visit \:\| that I'd rather not talk about lol. I'm a little bit more flexible now though, but its a slow process

so good luck. Sounds like a tough road ahead for you \:\(

#8915182 - 01/17/17 05:39 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

Thanks! Yeah, I was reading your thread and it sounds like you are making solid progress which is great. If I had any sort of recovery like that I wouldn't choose surgery.

Let's hear that urgent care story!

#8915233 - 01/17/17 07:17 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

after doing a battery of mat/floor exercises under general direction AT the PT office including some rather ridiculous poses and apparently I had strained the F out of my wrist, but it didnt hurt really until the next morning which is strange imo

when I woke up the next morning [it was hurting all night] that I walked into urgent care assuming it was broken [I have broken both wrists before it was very similar]. xray came back negative but I couldnt move my wrist in ANY direction w/o pain and it was visibly swollen. like 4 hours after returning from urgent care it was as if nothing had happened and I went swimming that night \:\|

I was ~100% convinced it was broken tho. I have a cool xray photo as a reminder of my shame

my primary hip issue/concern [the supposed torn labrum] was so bad originally it would hurt to just sit at times. And walking alone [driving my bodyweight into the hip joint] was causing pain and a steady limp on that side. That had greatly concerned me. That pain is completely gone now, and I was [until yesterday?] left with trancheatic bursitis which originally didnt concern me at all then it just refused to go away. And i did dumb things like continue to run on it once in a while and I could get it to actually inflame and become visibly tender on the outside of my hip. What a PITA. Seems ok now tho...

#8915379 - 01/18/17 05:08 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
\:\(
#8915567 - 01/18/17 10:19 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

Were you trying to impress the PT? Getting old sucks, it's always something.

One good thing about my recovery is I have been very disciplined with diet so I haven't gained any weight despite no strenuous exercise. Since the open surgery requires 4-8 weeks on crutches, excess weight can limit your options as far as what procedure they will do.

#8930889 - 01/31/17 09:47 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

First surgery (left hip) set for Feb 17. Nurse told me 4-8 weeks on crutches which I assume is conservative. I'll find out more on the 9th when I meet with the Dr. I'm actually kind of excited to get started, I just wish they could fix both hips at the same time. Gonna be a long year of rehab.

Speaking of rehab, when I went through alcohol rehab I told my doc I didn't want any heavy duty pain meds (opiates) when I threw my back out cause I didn't want to trade one addiction for another. So apparently he put in my file than I am allergic to them! I'm pretty sure I'm going to need them after these surgeries so I better get that updated lol.

#8932768 - 02/01/17 02:40 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

damn good luck buddy!

#8950123 - 02/19/17 12:42 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

Surgery went well yesterday. Repaired hip impingement by shaving down the bone so the ball fits into the socket correctly. Dr said labrum was torn and twice the size as normal due to all the scar tissue. Said I have been suffering from this since I was a kid and when the hip is healed it will be in better shape than it has been since I was a teenager*

*this was related to me by my father in law since I was too out of it after surgery to talk in deph to the Dr. I meet with him next week to go over of what was done and what the next course of action is.

Since I had been rehabbing the hip area for the better part of a year and I am not a fat fuck I should heal very quickly. Lots of pain yesterday and this morning but I'm already putting weight on the leg and should be crutch free in a couple days I think. I'm blown away at how strong I feel - I guess pain had just become a way of life so post op pain isn't so bad. I have no doubt I'll make my annual Indian Wells tennis trip (wasn't sure if I would be better in time) and maybe even get some light hitting in by then.

Anyway I hope people who see this thread who are suffering from groin pain will be aware that FAI may be the root cause and get a second opinion on your MRI from an ortho if your symptoms don't subside from rest/PT.

Only took one hydrocodone today although I'm gonna pound a couple before bed to help me sleep.

Was sent home with a bunch of pics although I'm not sure what they all mean yet - pretty sure the pics on the right are 'after'. Spoiler because slightly gross I guess.
Warning, Spoiler:

#8965242 - 03/06/17 03:20 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

Little update 2.5 weeks after surgery.

Recovering amazingly quickly. After a week I was not only off crutches but walking pretty much normally. By the end of week 2 I already felt better than I had before surgery (after almost a year of rest/rehab). I no longer put on a brace when I wake up in the morning. Today I didn't even wear compression shorts. It's weird hot having some constant pain reminder throughout the day.

Felt so strong got in a light workout on the tennis court last Friday, 14 days after surgery. No explosive lateral movement but I used a lot of hip rotation hitting the balls hard with no pain and much less tightness than before. Hip does not hurt at all, groin is still tender/weak, but getting better each day. Before surgery I was wondering if I would be well enough for my annual trip to Indian Wells, now I'm not only going I'm bringing all my tennis stuff. I feel like I'll be about 75% better at the 3 week mark.

After all I read before surgery (A LOT) I have yet to read about someone recovering this quickly from labrum tear and cam impingement surgery. Maybe more refined surgical techniques (this is a relatively 'new' surgery) and maybe my problem was more straight forward than most?

Anyway, so stoked to be pain free (for the most part) and a return to competitive sports looks very possible, something I had almost given up on! \:\)

#8965584 - 03/06/17 07:08 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
Nice man...great to hear you're making some awesome progress!

#8967363 - 03/08/17 05:53 AM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: Sir Ironpool]
Silock Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Jayhawk Country
Nice!
#8969561 - 03/09/17 03:18 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: norcal skim]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

sweet progress! stoked for u

#9015300 - 04/27/17 05:07 PM Re: Anyone rehab a groin tear/sports hernia? [Re: schtickaz.ai]
norcal skim Offline
Post Master Supreme

Just a quick update for those interested in hip surgery (which will be some of you as you get old lol).

Since my recovery has gone so well the doc went ahead and scheduled my second surgery (on the right hip) for next friday. That's exactly 11 weeks after the first surgery.

Dr thinks this should go similar (maybe a bit more invasive) but with no tear in the labrum (hopefully). I don't have much pain in this hip at all but doc says if I don't do this now it will deteriorate rapidly and I will need a full hip replacement soon (since it's a hereditary condition and will only worsen).

Normally I might put off this surgery till end of summer since I can run and play tennis again but we head to Kauai in late July so it will be nice to be all healed up and ready to run around when I'm over there.

I have definitely been overdoing it on my repaired hip and still have some groin tenderness with lateral movement but doc says the hip itself is healing perfect. I won't have the groin damage to deal with for this surgery (since it is mostly confined to my left side) so if anything recovery should go even better - which is hard for me to believe.

Here's a quick summary of the first surgery. Basically what was happening was my femur was convex (instead of concave) so every time I lifted my leg the femur bone growth (lesion) would hit the hip casule, fucking up the labrum, groin, socket, causing arthritis etc. Extremely painful. So he trimmed the torn, swollen labrum then removed the bone to make the femur concave again so I can once again bend my leg!

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads