dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

http://cycleireland.ie/cycle-gap-of-dunloe-loop/

or skip major sites (cliff of moher &/or Skelling Michael

and do this:
http://cycleireland.ie/cycle-ring-of-kerry-killarney-waterville/
+
http://cycleireland.ie/ring-of-kerry-waterville-killarney-cycle/

#8587377 - 03/14/16 02:58 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: State, Country, etc.
what does the SO do whilst you are running amuck by yourself?

#8587389 - 03/14/16 03:04 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: schtickaz.ai]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Tending to the care of my progeny
#8587404 - 03/14/16 03:20 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

actually those look like short-ish loops and kind of fun? rent a touring bike I imagine? [40k loops or something, eg 1-hr rides]. I say why not, but I'm selfish like that. Make sure SO does something "fun" too imo

#8587412 - 03/14/16 03:29 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: schtickaz.ai]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

55km and 1800ft of vert?

With pictures and sight-seeing I'm thinking more like 3-4 hour. Maybe more if I stop for a pint.

http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/kenmare-m/molls-gap-gap-of-dunloe-black-valley-loo-route-151385587
Hills aren't too steep at least.

SO isn't coming on this tripe. She's going to HI for a week, so I get IE.(I'm representing us at friends wedding though.)

#8587425 - 03/14/16 03:38 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: ]
schtickaz.ai Offline
Post Master Supreme

that would be easy I think for u

#8587459 - 03/14/16 03:58 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: schtickaz.ai]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

I agree that day ride shouldn't be bad.

But should I do teh bigger loop? 150km across 2 days? 1500ft and 3k of vert days
That will probably make me a bit sore/sluggish. (adding in some sight seeing too). Unsupported, on a road bike with minimal supplies etc?

I'll end up missing some of the "must dos" of ireland, but I know my wife wants to come next time.

Basically remembering I'm a novice long distance cyclist too.

#8587484 - 03/14/16 04:15 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I'd stick to the single day outing.

Edited by Mrs. Ironmom (03/14/16 04:15 PM)

#8587509 - 03/14/16 04:29 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

Seems logical
#8587542 - 03/14/16 04:54 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: ]
Sir Ironpool Offline
Sponsored by Toyota
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Long Beach, CA
I'm sure you could physically handle it, I just know that personally, the second day might take me from "this is rad!" to "I should have just done one day, fuck this bike!"

#8607514 - 03/31/16 01:16 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: Sir Ironpool]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

So for those of you not in the loop, I did the single day, 35(38 from GPS)
ride, about 2,800 of vert (according to strava) More than I do in a week, lol.

Basically it was so scenic, I took a shit ton of pictures(which I haven't downloaded) and went slow as shit as a result. In the end it was "easy". I mean I was breathing up the hills, but setting my own pace and enjoying the scenery was far more fun than seeing this as training. Still took a couple hills as training, but the total ride as touring.

Carried about 5lbs(DLSR, down jacket, pants, lunch) in handlebar bag, but rental CF road bike. So much better than a touring rig for these distances.

The other option wouldn't have been bad had I had 2-3 days more to spare, to "recover"

CN: the answer is always do the fun shit when traveling, but don't turn a vacation into an ordeal.

#8607888 - 03/31/16 05:19 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Wtf m8

Make with the pix ASAP

#8607929 - 03/31/16 06:12 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: Risky Business]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

lol, uploading the phone pics at least M8.

I'll post them in a while.

#8607965 - 03/31/16 06:46 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: ]
dirtyS13drifta
Unregistered

You get shitty unedited Iphone pictures because I've still not unpacked DSLR. I took mostly selfies to text my wife. She joked I found the one non-green part of Ireland. It had probably just melted out from winter, because I've seen photos of the area green.

In town

15 miles in, entering Dunloe Gap:

Up the gap:

Apparently I took no selfies climbing the steep part of teh gap nor at the top. There were some EXCELLENT single lane mountain hairpins

1/2 down the first down hill:

Looking back at the upper lake, you can see the cottage I snacked at and screwed around at for 30 minutes. Then I climbed out of that valley (Moll's gap) and descended to this view point. I could have taken a boat ride down the lakes from the cottage, or a mtn-bike trail to meat up with the road (shaving 17 miles and a major climb).

Nearly back to civilization(you can almost see it at the end of lake)

After this I grabbed a cappucino at a decent visitors cafe.

After teh descent you re-enter the lush lowlands, technically I took this picture the next day when I went back to the waterfall, but it was on the route.

#8609286 - 04/01/16 05:15 PM Re: Should I? Random vacation/cycling thoughts [Re: ]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

This is a sick pic, very nice:

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Silock, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads