Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#8544283 - 02/05/16 07:40 AM renovation thoughts ?
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
So, it's kinda cold outside, I have some time, and started to ponder renovations that would add value for resale, and/or enjoyment. (Some are really easy jobs, just a hassle.)

I'm no Vas, so anything that requires more than a drill is likely hired help.

What we have:
- Corner town, ~1500 sq ft, starter home 'hood in Markham, 3 years old, 2 story + basement, 3 bedroom, hardwood on main + 2nd floors, basement unfinished, AC installed, fence installed

Enjoyment renos (ongoing, or thinking about it)
- re-paint both floors, currently have 'starter paint'. One touch, and you get a smudge
- replace lighting fixtures (kitchen already switched out)
- replace entry foyer, and/or second-floor central light with chandelier/fancy fixture
- swap out some light switches with dimmables, washroom fan with timer one
- add shelves/hooks/etc in garage (currently bare, except for garage opener)
- seal garage floor with some kind of DIY epoxy

Higher end / more work
- replace laminate countertops (kitchen, washrooms)
- if replacing countertops, nicer kitchen sink + faucet
- replace 50% of backyard grass with patio stones (ghetto or otherwise)
- reno basement with 1-2 bedroom/room, 3 piece washroom, closets, storage rooms
- install water softener (no one 'sees' this ... for resale I'd say no one cares)
- remove popcorn ceiling -- FUCK that... I should have paid $3k originally to get them flat.

['Upgrades' done]
- kitchen light fixture (nothing fancy, IKEA shit)
- SS appliances in kitchen (Samsung)
- Nest thermostat \:\|
- security system
- 1-2 dimmable switches

The basement has the washroom plumbling 'stubs' already in place, just not ideal. Where the stubs and the furnace/HWT are, it pretty much takes up half of the basement. No way I'm spending money on a starter home to move them.

As I see it, the kitchen upgrades won't add much value for resale, and frankly, while I love the look of granite/etc, I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Some homes have 4 bedrooms but look similar in size to mine. I 'lost' one due to laundry on 2nd. Though a basement bedroom is pretty ghetto, having an additional 'bedroom' might add value... (I know there's an MLS 'definition' of bedroom; without certain features, it's just a 'room'.)

The basement is oddly shaped obviously, due to a sunk landing, and the garage concrete pad...

#8544348 - 02/05/16 08:46 AM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: furball]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
slapping on a new coat of paint the right colour can do wonders.

i found a guy that did my home (paint whole interior ~2300sqft 4 bed 4 bath, basement, remove popcorn, skim, paint ceiling on main floor only) for $4200. did a pretty good job so im happy with it.

go on homestars, look at local companies that have good feedback and get quotes. some will even knock down prices if you can do some of the labour.

we want to do our backyard/deck and kitchen as well but still deciding on what to do first....

#8544374 - 02/05/16 09:03 AM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
We recently used "Painters Plus" for our new place. They removed original wallpaper from the 60's, repaired plastered walls and repainted. They did a great job for us. Also using a great all around contractor who removed 3 layers of linoleum on the floors and replaced with tile, did back splash and will also refinish my cabinet.
#8544377 - 02/05/16 09:04 AM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: Simon_the_Pieman]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
 Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman

i found a guy that did my home (paint whole interior ~2300sqft 4 bed 4 bath, basement, remove popcorn, skim, paint ceiling on main floor only) for $4200. did a pretty good job so im happy with it.

go on homestars, look at local companies that have good feedback and get quotes. some will even knock down prices if you can do some of the labour.

we want to do our backyard/deck and kitchen as well but still deciding on what to do first....

Did he supply his own materials? (paint etc)?

#8544493 - 02/05/16 09:53 AM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
SuPeR-MaRiO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
OP is your intent to move in the relatively near future? If not, then why bother with "renovations that would add value for resale"? Now if they also fall under "enjoyment" that's another story.
#8544726 - 02/05/16 11:34 AM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: SuPeR-MaRiO]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
Spend your money in the kitchen, bathrooms or the flooring. Anything else and you won't see as high of a return. Also, you can sink all kinds of $$$ into a house and price yourself right out of the market. A killer kitchen will sell the house all by itself.

#8544791 - 02/05/16 11:53 AM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: LNXGUY]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
Price out a killer kitchen with neutral colours.

Price out the basement finish (add livable space). F'in people love looking at square-footage on paper Vs. the actual home.

See which one is cheaper vs the marginal value added to the home.

#8544863 - 02/05/16 12:28 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: LNXGUY]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY
Spend your money in the kitchen, bathrooms or the flooring. Anything else and you won't see as high of a return. Also, you can sink all kinds of $$$ into a house and price yourself right out of the market. A killer kitchen will sell the house all by itself.

So I had the owner of painters plus in and while we are talking in the kitchen with the guy doing tile, she asks if i am going to do the cabinets, says she has a guy that does it very well and much cheaper than anyone else around. I say sure give him my info and he comes over that day. He takes a look, suggests a slightly different configuration and then hits me with a 7-15k range for the cabinets only. Says anything less is not worth the cost

I'm like, ya sure send me the quote in writing and i will get back to you [not]. After he leaves my contractor guy who was in the kitchen at the same time says the cabinets themselves are in good condition and he can resurface the doors and drawers for 2G's and make everything look like new.

#8544919 - 02/05/16 12:52 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: Big Tasty]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

It's a brand new builder cookie-cut home, with almost everything 'standard', i.e. free shit.

The only things I splurged on during the purchase was upgraded tile (1 level up.) Still shit, but at least it isn't some fucking tacky beige generic shit, that one look you just know is basic basic. And 1-2 additional lighting installs (fucking arm and leg.)

Carpet was ripped out on Day 2 of ownership, and hardwood put in.

Cabinets are white 'standard' stuff, and the knobs, well, they're silver, so they're good enough.

Kitchen upgrades at this point would be backsplash, countertops, and new sink/faucet. (lighting already done. 5-spotlight IKEA fixture with dimmer: http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00262657/)

On another side, I'm considering going a bit deeper into the home automation side of things ... Won't go too deep into it, but I have disparate systems/set up with the garage, temp (Nest), security, and lighting... Not awesome, and at this point not worthy of mentioning in a For Sale description... But, it could...

I already know buyers of my home may be finicky with the colours I've chosen for some items: dark grey tiles for the floor, and dark-brown hardwood with a flat finish.

I'm considering 'adding value' to the home as I'll probably be moving within the next 12-24 months. The Markham area I'm briefly seeing the following as selling points in the sold homes:

- counter tops, upgraded kitchen, SS appliances
- 4 bedrooms vs 3 catch my eye
- some have finished basements (how, with what, I'm not sure.)

Edited by furball (02/05/16 12:58 PM)

#8545337 - 02/05/16 04:33 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: Big Tasty]
LNXGUY Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Barrie, Ont,
 Originally Posted By: Big Tasty
 Originally Posted By: LNXGUY

So I had the owner of painters plus in and while we are talking in the kitchen with the guy doing tile, she asks if i am going to do the cabinets, says she has a guy that does it very well and much cheaper than anyone else around. I say sure give him my info and he comes over that day. He takes a look, suggests a slightly different configuration and then hits me with a 7-15k range for the cabinets only. Says anything less is not worth the cost

I'm like, ya sure send me the quote in writing and i will get back to you [not]. After he leaves my contractor guy who was in the kitchen at the same time says the cabinets themselves are in good condition and he can resurface the doors and drawers for 2G's and make everything look like new.

If they aren't bad paint will do wonders along with some riser crown. Also cost you a whole lot less, lol.

#8545349 - 02/05/16 04:43 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: LNXGUY]
loudsubz Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ontario, Canada
All I suggest is try and DIY yourself, most not hard and it's more rewarding/ saves the $$

We completely re did our 80s home when we moved in 6 years ago, and already getting the itch and started doing more tweaks again. Luckily wife loves to paint (I can't stand it) and I love the mechanicals so it works out. A little harder this time with a 10 month old but we are making due.

Tons of forums for great advice.

#8545367 - 02/05/16 05:03 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: furball]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Finished basement and a nice kitchen is key to getting top dollar. People still like dark wood everything (gross).

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8545381 - 02/05/16 05:15 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Simon_the_Pieman Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: The A
 Originally Posted By: Chocolate Canuck
 Originally Posted By: Simon_the_Pieman

Did he supply his own materials? (paint etc)?

no i supplied paint about 1k (primer, main colour, accent colour, trim) . he had his rollers and brushes etc...

#8545620 - 02/05/16 08:55 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: furball]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: furball
So, it's kinda cold outside, I have some time, and started to ponder renovations that would add value for resale, and/or enjoyment. (Some are really easy jobs, just a hassle.)

I'm no Vas, so anything that requires more than a drill is likely hired help.

What we have:
- Corner town, ~1500 sq ft, starter home 'hood in Markham, 3 years old, 2 story + basement, 3 bedroom, hardwood on main + 2nd floors, basement unfinished, AC installed, fence installed

Enjoyment renos (ongoing, or thinking about it)
- re-paint both floors, currently have 'starter paint'. One touch, and you get a smudge
- replace lighting fixtures (kitchen already switched out)
- replace entry foyer, and/or second-floor central light with chandelier/fancy fixture
- swap out some light switches with dimmables, washroom fan with timer one
- add shelves/hooks/etc in garage (currently bare, except for garage opener)
- seal garage floor with some kind of DIY epoxy

Higher end / more work
- replace laminate countertops (kitchen, washrooms)
- if replacing countertops, nicer kitchen sink + faucet
- replace 50% of backyard grass with patio stones (ghetto or otherwise)
- reno basement with 1-2 bedroom/room, 3 piece washroom, closets, storage rooms
- install water softener (no one 'sees' this ... for resale I'd say no one cares)
- remove popcorn ceiling -- FUCK that... I should have paid $3k originally to get them flat.

['Upgrades' done]
- kitchen light fixture (nothing fancy, IKEA shit)
- SS appliances in kitchen (Samsung)
- Nest thermostat \:\|
- security system
- 1-2 dimmable switches

The basement has the washroom plumbling 'stubs' already in place, just not ideal. Where the stubs and the furnace/HWT are, it pretty much takes up half of the basement. No way I'm spending money on a starter home to move them.

As I see it, the kitchen upgrades won't add much value for resale, and frankly, while I love the look of granite/etc, I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Some homes have 4 bedrooms but look similar in size to mine. I 'lost' one due to laundry on 2nd. Though a basement bedroom is pretty ghetto, having an additional 'bedroom' might add value... (I know there's an MLS 'definition' of bedroom; without certain features, it's just a 'room'.)

The basement is oddly shaped obviously, due to a sunk landing, and the garage concrete pad...

The only thing i read from your post is that you have no idea what you are doing, part of that is you don't seem to be able to decide wtf you want. Are you prepping the house for resale? This seems to be the point here, but you are hiding behind "i want to paint walls on weekends because it's so much fun" but secretly "oh my markham townhouse will go up in value by 500k because of new paint".

If you want to sell, do the bare minimum to the kitchen to make idiots think it's reno'ed, granite counter tops, backsplash, nice hardware, and finish the basement (like already mentioned). You are limited with resale on a town home and it's very easy to price yourself out of any profit so the less you do the better. If you want to flip you buy detached next.

If you enjoy renovations (no you don't, stop lying), then paint it, and that's it, there is nothing else that's as cheap that will have the same "effect".

Lastly, try to stop lying to yourself and just tell us what the real motive is as to what you want to do in order to get proper advice.

#8545625 - 02/05/16 08:59 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: Risky Business]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Risky is back on CSI.......

I knew you couldn't BAO

#8545634 - 02/05/16 09:05 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Lmao @ rb reply

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8545663 - 02/05/16 09:31 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: Hatorade]
OracerO Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
lol.
#8545667 - 02/05/16 09:35 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: OracerO]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
lol risky keeping it real.

but ya, decide what you want to do with the place and base your renos on that. If i was looking to squeeze the most money out of the sale i would finish the basement, update the kitchen, and paint. all the small stuff like light switches and shit ppl don't care about that.

Edited by titty sprinkles (02/05/16 09:38 PM)

#8545670 - 02/05/16 09:38 PM Re: renovation thoughts ? [Re: titty sprinkles]
Risky Business Offline
Provides a Great Work Environment. he/him
Post Master Supreme

What I don't get is why furball insists to be a wally on a forum when in real life dude is bright. I don't even...
Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads