Topic Options
#8417215 - 10/27/15 08:23 AM Discounted insurance with winter tires
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Toronto, ON
http://www.thestar.com/business/personal...eak-mayers.html

Quote:
What you need to know about the winter tire insurance break: Mayers

The Ontario insurance discount for winter tires takes effect Jan. 1. It’s a good idea, but has a long payback.

A very small piece of Ontario’s efforts to drive down the cost of car insurance is a new requirement that insurers offer a discount for snow tires by this coming Jan. 1.
When I say small, I mean it. If you buy new tires, the payoff is seven to 10 years away, and by then the car may be long gone.
So should you bother? I’d say so. This is really about safety, not insurance, despite how the Ontario Liberals have cast the move.

For anyone commuting in and out of Toronto and its freeze-thaw weather, winter tires are a must. I’ve had them for a decade and wouldn’t go back. The road grip and handling are far better than on our second car, which has all-season radials.
The discount is likely to be about 5 per cent of the cost of a policy. Since the average GTA car costs $1,600 to insure, according to the Insurance Bureau of Canada, you may save $80 per car per a year with winter tires.
The cheapest winter tire sold by my garage is $135 plus tax, or $610 for four. You can, of course, get cheaper or more expensive ones depending on where you shop. But in this example, the break-even point is 7.6 years.

What the Ontario initiative illustrates very clearly is the importance of shopping around. There are more than 50 companies offering car insurance in this province, and their discounts vary based on their claims experience. Some already offer the winter-tire discount. Some won’t tell you it’s available unless you ask. Going online to compare prices is easy.

So here’s what you need to know:

When can I get the discount?
All Ontario insurers must offer something by Jan. 1, 2016. But provincial finance minister Charles Sousa’s office says 45 per cent of them already do so.

I’m renewing before Jan. 1. Can I still get the discount?
Not unless your company already offers one.

My policy with TD Insurance Meloche Monnex (Security National) renews in two weeks. An agent told me over the phone last week the discount is not available until January, but did not know how much it will be.
He advised me to call back then and ask for a policy adjustment. Crystal Jongeward, a spokesperson for TD Insurance, says the discount could be up to 5 per cent.

How much is the discount?
It will vary, but will come in at between 3 and 5 per cent. The province only requires something, but doesn’t set a number. Compliance will be monitored by the Financial Services Commission of Ontario, the provincial regulator.
As always, pay attention to the fine print. The discounts will likely not apply to the entire policy, just part of it. For example, Aviva Insurance has offered winter tire discounts since March, 2014, says spokesman Glenn Cooper. For Aviva, safer driving means fewer accidents, fewer claims, higher profits and lower prices for its customers.
Aviva’s discount is 5 per cent of the collision portion of the policy, which is about 90 per cent of the total cost. So 4.5 per cent is the overall reduction. TD Insurance is calculating its reduction the same way.
The discount is also made per car. So if one of yours has snow tires and the other doesn’t, cut the discount in half.

Edited by furball (10/27/15 08:42 AM)

#8417229 - 10/27/15 08:30 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: furball]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Wiesloch-Walldorf, Germany
They tax elsewhere and then gives us a small break. Gfto.

#8417233 - 10/27/15 08:31 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: c2k]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there

Look at the 5% discount we offer on your insurance, don't look at the double taxation that we are going eff you over with using our other hand.

#8417238 - 10/27/15 08:33 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: c2k]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: People's Republic of Ontario
Not only that, they'll probably jack up the base rate, give you less features and then give you a small discount.

The whole system is a scam.

The government lets everyone have a license no matter how shitty they are, because you need to sell cars, insurance and gas.. all of which the government has a vested interest in.

#8417256 - 10/27/15 08:42 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: phoenixrage]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

It's a poorly-written article, implying that it's a great idea to get winter tires, BUT .... long payback. Doesn't mention either the 'savings' with having 2 sets of tires, and the offset costs of swapping, storage, rims, etc... oh and those fucking TPMS sensors...

Edited by furball (10/27/15 08:43 AM)

#8417285 - 10/27/15 09:01 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: furball]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

the only way its a noticable payback is if you get into an accident with all-seasons, where winters could've made the difference.

Plus it also depends on everyone's valuation of time & piece of mind. Assuming that with winter tires, you are less likely to get stuck somewhere, or allows you to get up to speed quicker.

#8417298 - 10/27/15 09:09 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: furball]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Shadows and smokescreens aside, if this convinces more people to run proper winter tires than I'm all for it.
#8417351 - 10/27/15 09:35 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
if you're getting winter tires for money savings you're a fucking idiot and should be publicly stoned to death.
#8417362 - 10/27/15 09:39 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
markw Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Not Toronto
 Originally Posted By: TheRealCSnapper
if you're getting winter tires for money savings you're a fucking idiot and should be publicly stoned to death.

Wow. Tell us how you really feel...

There are worse things than people getting winter tires for the insurance savings.. at least it's another car on the road with proper tires.

#8417556 - 10/27/15 10:59 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: markw]
TheRealCSnapper Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto, Canada
 Originally Posted By: markw

There are worse things than people getting winter tires for the insurance savings.. at least it's another car on the road with proper tires.

sorry, on my period.

insurance "savings" should be a small fringe benefit of getting winter tires, the primary reason to get them should be for safety, extra control, extended tire life on your other set etc

#8418638 - 10/27/15 07:25 PM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
SharpSpoon Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: GTA
Silly article. You have to have tires regardless so it is really "free money" (ignoring changes in base rate). Yes winter tires are more out of pocket but it extends the length of your other tires. Really a wash.
#8419064 - 10/27/15 11:28 PM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: SharpSpoon]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

My insurance has asked me if I'm using wintArs since 3 years ago... This shit is news worthy???

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8419341 - 10/28/15 09:41 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Hatorade]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

I called the insurance company and apparently I already have the discount and they asked me if I will have snow tires on by Sunday. \:\| I said uh yeah.

#8419483 - 10/28/15 10:46 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: TheRealCSnapper]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: markw

sorry, on my period.

insurance "savings" should be a small fringe benefit of getting winter tires, the primary reason to get them should be for safety, extra control, extended tire life on your other set etc

The "insurance savings" is just an incentive. Insurance industry actuaries have figured out long ago that even with incentive payouts, the proven reduction in accidents with winter tires increases their profits.

We really should have mandatory winter tires in this province since every single road in Ontario will have snow on it at some point or another during winter.

#8419489 - 10/28/15 10:47 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Just A Troll]
Hatorade Offline
pheggit
Post Master Supreme

Might as well make AWD mandatory while you're at it.

'07 997.1 GT3
'08 E90 M3
'11 E90 d
'02 Rota Grid - 195-55-16FR (RIP)
'04 Volk GTC - 245-35-19F/275-35-19R (Sold to a farm boi)
I thought Spark was a robot from the old movie and I kind of remember seeing him telling some engineer showing the equation for a clear metal that the guy would event years later - porschetr

#8419498 - 10/28/15 10:50 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Hatorade]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

they won't.. unless tires are manufactured in the province, the government doesn't benefit enough from it.

if more people crash, they will need to buy replacement vehicles, which means tax dollars, and depending on the brand, means job security for the people making the cars... and their insurance rates also go up... so more tax dollars and keeps the insurance industry going.

#8419523 - 10/28/15 11:00 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Hatorade]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: Hatorade

Like making ABS mandatory on all cars?
Perhaps but i don't think it's been proven that AWD is as effective as winter tires.

In snow storms I've often seen AWD SUVs in the ditch while i just went by in my FWD civic with Winters.

Even with my new AWD RDX coming in next week, I'm still going to put winter tires on it.

#8419538 - 10/28/15 11:03 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: phoenixrage]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: phoenixrage
if more people crash, they will need to buy replacement vehicles, which means tax dollars, and depending on the brand, means job security for the people making the cars... and their insurance rates also go up... so more tax dollars and keeps the insurance industry going.

That is the dumbest comment I've read in a long time!

I'm hoping you just forgot to put a /sarcasm in there somewhere.

#8419598 - 10/28/15 11:30 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Just A Troll]
Senor Eduardo_82 Offline
miataist
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Ca�ada
Get into an accident, support the economy!

I can see the TV ads now.

#8419647 - 10/28/15 11:57 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Hatorade]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Out There
My insurance has asked me if I'm using wintArs since 3 years ago... This shit is news worthy???

Not mine. I spoke with them on Monday to remove insurance on my S and they asked me to call back in January 2016 to ask for the winter tires discount \:\(

#8419648 - 10/28/15 11:58 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Hatorade]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

My last manager has a GMC Terrain AWD. She said her mechanic told her do NOT buy winter tires as her car comes standard AWD and doesn't need it

That mechanic should lose his license for saying that to all his customers

#8419800 - 10/28/15 01:05 PM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Just A Troll]
phoenixrage Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: Just A Troll
 Originally Posted By: phoenixrage

That is the dumbest comment I've read in a long time!

I'm hoping you just forgot to put a /sarcasm in there somewhere.

Don't be so naive.

look at all the fucktards with licenses? I have a friend who works at a drive test facility and was told not to fail so many people. If we had harder driver tests that actually tested people properly, 60-70% of the people in the GTA would fail instantly upon re-test. That would mean more people for public transit, but less cars on the road, and less gas consumption. So therefore less tax dollars up front.

There is a HUGE conflict of interest when it comes to the government being involved in the automotive industry and public transit.

There is no incentive for the government to have less drivers on the road.

Why is it when automakers threaten to move the production else where the government without hesitation forks over tax dollars to keep them around?.. yet when we need money for subways and other mass transit infrastructure they pull their pockets out like they're flat ass broke?

#8420168 - 10/28/15 03:56 PM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Senor Eduardo_82]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Originally Posted By: eddie _69
Get into an accident, support the economy!

I can see the TV ads now.

#8440146 - 11/13/15 06:06 PM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Just A Troll]
Screamin Type ARGH! Offline
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Loc: T.O. - Canaduh
Just got my tdmm renewal, decided to call in re. the insurance discount for Jan 1st. Apparently the good thing is, because it's mandated by the Gov. even ppl with group discount rates (ie. mine is honda) also get the discount.

I asked him "so i assume you need a copy of my receipt from purchase?" - he says nope, just call your ins. provider after Jan 1st, tell them "you have winter tires on the car" - bam, discount.

(show you how much they give a shit lol, thus it really isn't a discount 'hit' against the ins companies ).

*side note - type-R ins. for me is down to $105/month, imagine the *dream* of paying that 15 years ago lulz.

"Ban low performance drivers, not high performance cars"

#8440254 - 11/13/15 07:20 PM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: iamfob]
titty sprinkles Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto,Ontario
 Originally Posted By: iamfob

My last manager has a GMC Terrain AWD. She said her mechanic told her do NOT buy winter tires as her car comes standard AWD and doesn't need it

mechanic? last year on CP24 the opp commissioner or something fully said that you don't need winter tires with a 4wd car and that his 4wd whatever gm truck never slipped in the snow. i wanted to call and ask him if he was srs.

#8440508 - 11/14/15 02:56 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: titty sprinkles]
SiZ Offline
Post Master Sr

Loc: Longdon, Ontario
If anybody wrecks their car this winter, please buy a Rav.

#8440543 - 11/14/15 07:19 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: SiZ]
c2k Moderator Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: SiZ
If anybody wrecks their car this winter, please buy a Rav.

are the ravs being made at your factory?

#8440621 - 11/14/15 11:39 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: titty sprinkles]
iamfob Offline
Post Master Supreme

Originally Posted By: titty sprinkles

mechanic? last year on CP24 the opp commissioner or something fully said that you don't need winter tires with a 4wd car and that his 4wd whatever gm truck never slipped in the snow. i wanted to call and ask him if he was srs.
Was it the Auto show on Sunday night?

#8441445 - 11/15/15 10:04 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: titty sprinkles]
Just A Troll Offline
Curved Street Thug Life
Post Master

Clearly he didn't see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l2cMlNRX_A

#8442169 - 11/16/15 08:41 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: titty sprinkles]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

Fair enough but given the base quote it could be taken out of context as most ppl will do. I can see what he means to say if her car is brand new with stock all seasons...but he should NOT give that 'reason' re. not need them...that's stupid advice.

The way I see it Toronto isn't a die-hard must have area to "need" winters (at least for drivers that know what the heck they're doing). I've rarely used winters over the years and have never had any major issues (knock on wood). Mind you my drivers have become much shorter over the years lol, this includes fwd and awd cars.

We have an awd crv now and the wifey is fine with it in the snow as she was with her fwd civics with all-seasons (new)...just drive properly for the most part (in the GTA) and you're fine most of the time, esp on main roads I've found. The one bad spot is usually leaving your driveway/street if unplowed when you're on all season or if you come in from further north (sometimes even east of west).

But still even good drivers but moreso for the shitty ones, it'd be nice to see more of them on winters regardless of reasoning. I'm enjoying the all-weathers I use now on the R which are cert'd for snow and do a much improved job over all-seasons. A true winter though does outdo even these.

#8513456 - 01/13/16 08:07 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
High Value Poster
Post Master Supreme

just got off the phone with TDMM...the winter tire discount is not available in their system as yet... - already Jan 13, 2016...

he doesn't know when it'll be active, up to the customer to just keep calling back to check. \:\|

of course when i spoke to them back in early Dec. the dude said call after Jan 4th and it'll be available.

#8513459 - 01/13/16 08:14 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Screamin Type ARGH!]
Choco 'Nuck Offline
Proud Member of BLM
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Somewhere out there
Lulz, I got 5% for winter tires and 5% for opening an online account. $200.10 per month for both X5 and mini, but house is bundled too.
#8513500 - 01/13/16 08:54 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Choco 'Nuck]
Big Tasty Offline
Post Master Supreme

Loc: Toronto
Not sure if I will be cashing in or bending over for insurance once i move. Hoping cars will go down but can see home insurance going up.
#8513590 - 01/13/16 09:51 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: Big Tasty]
The Postman Offline
A-List Member also The Man
Post Master Sr

Just got the renewal for the RDX and it went way down from the Genesis. $105 mth vs $145mth.
#8513835 - 01/13/16 11:46 AM Re: Discounted insurance with winter tires [Re: The Postman]
furball Offline
Post Master Sr

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal...get-mayers.html

Quote:
The catch is that while the discount must be introduced in 2016, insurers can choose when. They can give it to you mid-policy if you ask, or only when you renew.
For example, the two big bank-owned insurers, TD Insurance Meloche Monnex and RBC Insurance, are among those requiring you to wait for a policy renewal.
Quebec-based Desjardins Insurance, Aviva Canada and Aviva’s affiliates such as Scottish & York (my insurer) are among those that allow you to get the discount mid-policy.
Intact and CAA Insurance are also in this group; most of them have offered the discount for some time. They see snow tires as a benefit for all parties. The discount shaves a little off the cost of their policies, but the tires mean fewer accidents and injuries. Fewer claims mean lower premiums.
You’ll save about $72 a year per vehicle, based on the average $1,600 a year it costs to insure a car in Ontario. The discount is usually 5 per cent of the collision portion of your policy, which is about 90 per cent of the total.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  c2k, LNXGUY, TheRealCSnapper, Professor Paki 
Hop to:
Shout Box

CSi Sponsors

DiGBiC Lighters
DiGBiC Lighters
DallasColo
Dallas Colocation
ClubSi.com Shirts
ClubSi-Shirts
GameStop
Black-Friday Specials
Big Brake Kits
StopTech.Sale BBK Clearance
Brake Kits
Buy Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
EBC Brake Kits
BuyBrakes
Brake Kits-Pads & Rotors Sets
StopTech Brake Kits
StopTech
StopTech NZ
StopTech
StopTech Australia
StopTech
Hawk Brake Pads
Hawk Brake Pads
Samys Camera
GoPros, Cameras, Gear
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Specials Near Me
Brake Pad Coupons
Coupon Code "hondafetish"
Porsche Brakes
Porsche Brake Upgrades
2-Piece Rotors-Civic Type-R
2-Piece Civic Rotors
Advertisement

| Brake Pads | | How To Change Brake Pads | | Drilled Slotted Brake Kits Cheap | EBC Brake Kits | Performance Brake Kits | Brake Specials Near Me | How To Replace Brake Pads